KMP v0.1.5.1 [0.23] [alpha] [inactive]

TehGimp666

@DougJunior: We don't do anything special with regards to mods, if a mod works then it works. If it doesn't then it doesn't.

Luckily most mods seem to work relatively well.

@jeb_the_potato: Ask the server admin to delete Squad from the required section, that really shouldn't happen and it's a little unnessecary for 0.1.5.0/1. I'll bring this up with ryan/ChronicSilence when I get the chance :)

Hey! Found a little bug/weird behavior.

In my KMP version of KSP, I loaded up the 'KMP' save in single player mode just for fun. Left after about 30 seconds. Then I went and joined my own server, and notice I have 0 science, and 0 science thingies unlocked. That's a drag. And I haven't been able to cheat myself it back by editing my persistence file (which is good, in most cases, but not in mine :P)

I'm pretty sure its the loading in single player which caused this affect.

@Figglezworth: You should have still had everything when you loaded KMP in singleplayer, but 0.1.5.0 has a bug where the clients will wipe their own science data.

It's fixed in dev (which is still the tagged release version).

EDIT: Interim server back up due to 0.1.5.1 being released. chrisand.no-ip.info 2076.

Edited by godarklight

Will be working on doing some more in-depth testing, starting with spectator mode in orbit.

This first post/video is mostly just setup, and I didn't quite get around to the actual bulk of the testing I wanted due to an odd UI crash that probably was not related to KMP. More tests coming later.

Setup:

• Two KSP clients, running on the same machine, connected to a server over LAN (<1 ms latency).
  • The server is running a clean universe, default settings except safetyBubbleRadius is set to 1750.
  • client_1 is flying a ship (see downloads section) into into a 150km orbit, client 2 will attempt to spectate.
  • the resulting universe (see downloads section) will be used in following tests.

Video (click

to skip past launch to when the issues begin)

Notable issues

1. Spectator was unable to select the ship from tracking station even when it was out of the bubble, and even after disconnecting and reconnecting.
  2. Spectator's client crashed when trying to spectate the ship

Video Analysis - bold timestamps indicate a possible issue:

0:35 - Showing off the screenshot sharing feature

1:13 - Launch!

1:40 - Testing the maximum rate that you can send screenshots by mashing the F8 key; It's about one every 3 seconds.

2:05 - Still inside the bubble, so client_2 wouldn't be able to see it anyways

2:12 - Throttling down a little to remain under 200m/s while below 10km

2:40 - Starting gravity turn a little late

3:07 - We're out of the bubble. No we can start trying to spectate with client_2

3:25
- Client_1's vessel is out of the bubble, but client_2 cannot see it in the 'Flights in Progress' list -BUT- it can see the flight's trajectory and view it by mousing over on the map.

3:58 - It should be noted that the syncing of position data on client_2's tracking station is surprisingly smooth. tick rate here must be much higher than for the actual models.

4:50
- Even after disconnecting, client_2 is unable to see the vessel in the tracking station's list, so cannot select it to attempt to take control.

6:06
- After disconnecting again client_2 finally sees the vessel in the tracking station's list.

6:20
- Attempting to spectate the vessel, client_2 suddenly experiences a really strange UI bug, becomes unresponsive to the menu items and ultimately the client has to be forced to shut down

Downloads

Edited by JohannesMP

1:40 - Testing the maximum rate that you can send screenshots by mashing the F8 key; It's about one every 3 seconds.

Yeah that is a server setting.

Edit: i thought that the codders did test stuff like you doing.

Edited by tetryds

Yeah, the screenshot thing wasn't really a test per say, as opposed to just me not having anything else to do during a fairly boring launch :P

And TehGimp666 summarized it well in his reply on reddit - not every aspect is constantly tested, and many of the things I'm showing here are well known as being problems and are already listed in the bug tracker.

The point of my tests is not to poke the developers and say "look at all these obvious problems that you've missed" (again, they -know- about most of these already) but rather to give a third opinion and offer my input on what I think might be worth focusing on.

Edited by JohannesMP

A continuation of the in-orbit Tests, covering spectating, EVA and some docking.

Setup:

• Two KSP clients, running on the same machine, connected to a server over LAN (<1 ms latency).
  • The server is running the universe set up in this post, default settings except safetyBubbleRadius is set to 1750.
  • there is one ship in a 150km orbit, and client 1 and 2 will be switching off taking control of the ship, EVAing from it, etc.

Video

Notable reoccuring issues

1. Vessels sometimes show up without the appended <client_1>/<client_2> tag, or sometimes the wrong vessel will have the appended name.
  2. Resource usage, solar panels, lights and docking shields are not synced between clients. Even after disconnecting each client will only see the changes that it made to its version of the ship, way past the 45 sync duragion (the even by the end of the 27min video the changes one client made to the ship still haven't synced to the other client, even after multiple disconnects/reconnects)
  3. Each client has their own set of kerbals for a given ship, so if a ship has 3 cremen, then each client that takes control of the ship can EVA 3 kerbals, instead of the number of kerbals remaining bound to the ship. this is probably related to the above desyncing issue.
  4. When viewing a controlled ship as spectator, the RCS thrusters will fire and SAS button blink when the ship is being rotated, if the spectator's client left those buttons enabled on the previous flight. Also when this occurs, electricity/RCS fuel is used up, causing the client's instance of the ship to have less fuel (also related to syncing problem above)
  5. On a few occasions switching to spectator mode causes a huge amount of lag for the spectator, making the game very unresponsive. It could be a coincidence, but one time when this happened, checking the tracking station revealed 6 extra EVA'd Kerbals that shouldn't have been there. disconnecting and reconnecting removed the extra kerbals and fixed the latency.
  6. Consistently, when a pilot controls a ship while another client is spectating and detaches from the ship (either by EVA or decoupling a docked ship and switching to it), the spectator will gain control of the ship (as is intended), but the ship will also warp 30m-30km away from the newly EVA'd/undocked vessel.
  7. Other single-instance issues, see below

Video Analysis - bold timestamps indicate a possible issue:

0:20
- client_2 can see 'Test Platform' in the tracking station list, however shouldn't its name be "Test Platform <client_1>"?

0:45
- changes made by client_1 to the docking shields, as well as lights and solar panels are not synced to client_2, even long after the 45 second refresh time.

01:52
- when client_1 rotates the vessel using only SAS, client_2 sees the ship rotating with RCS thrusters, since the RCS button was enabled during client_2's last flight. really RCS and SAS should always be disabled for a spectator

03:00
- similar to 0:45, since the spectator sees the ship using RCS, the RCS amount in the tanks is becoming unsynced

03:20
- even once constant speed (no acceleration) is reached on the rotation of the pilot's ship, the spectator only sees very jerky movement, so it's not just the lack of syncing acceleration that's the problem. it seems that velocity (rotational in this case) is not being correctly synced, since between the 1-2, 1-2 jitters the ship is not rotating at all.

03:55
- client_1 EVA's a kerbal. Since the ship is public this should transfer the spectator to being the pilot of the ship. In this case however client_2 begins experiencing extreme lag, causing the game to become largely unresponsive. Only by client_1 returnin g from EVA does client_2 return to normal.

04:41
- client_1 EVA's again, this time correctly giving client_2 control of the ship (as indicated by the Kerbal portraits. When this happens the ship is suddenly 13km away from the kerbal.

05:05
- exiting the flight and going to the tracking station, client_2 now sees three instances of Bill Kerman. When client_1 switches to the tracking station only one Bill appears, same with /listships on the server

05:55 - NOTE: it's pretty neat that like this I can actually view the map while still flyign a kerbal manually.

07:35
- after a disconnecting and reconnecting, client_2 sees the correct number of flights in the tracking station, but it says that Test Platform is being controlled by client_2, when client_2 is actually EVA-ing Bill

08:01
- While attempting to return Bill to the ship, client_1 timewarped (at 06:55), putting client_2 behind.However while at the Space center, client_2's Sync button is completely disabled, both in the standard version of the KerbalMP window, as well as the Options section. This is a minor issue since taking control of the vehicle re-enables the sync button, but it's annoying nonetheless.

12:08
- The moment client_2 tries to grab the ladder, the ship jumps ~30 meters away.

13:06
- With client_1 spectating again, client_2 EVA's Bill, which (like at 04:41) causes the ship to warp 1km away.

13:44
- client_1 suddenly sees two Bills on his HUD. One is listed as being under client_2's control, but looking at the distance seen on client_2's HUD while maneuvering back tot he ship, it seems that the one under client_2's control is the one -without- "<client_2>" in the name. This persists into the tracking station. A quick disconnect/reconnect fixes it.

17:05
- with client_2's Bill now hugging the ship, client_1 EVA's their Bill. A few moments later on client_1's screen, client_2's Bill suddenly boosts away from the rocket at about 20m/s

17:50
- client_2 sees its bill slowly pass through the body of the ship

19:00 - NOTE: client_2 is leaving a Bill Kerman in space. Since each client seems to be in charge of its own set of Kerbals, for the rest of the video an extra 'Bill' will be visible in the tracking station/map.

19:00
- client_2 switches to the tracking station and spectates the ship again, causing the FPS to plummet and become very unresponsive, just like at 03:55

19:08
- client_1 EVA's Bill, which a few seconds later causes client_2 to suddenly see three Bills on the ladder, And which, like in previous EVA's, causes the ship to suddenly warp away at a rapid speed, being 20km away by 19:32

20:07
- client_2 is now so unresponsive that it took several seconds for the menu to pop up after pressing escape (notice how at the time when it pops up, the other window has been in focus for a few seconds), and clicking 'Space Center' takes another ~5 seconds to respond

20:26
- possibly related to the high degree of lag, client_2 suddenly sees 7 Bill Kermans in the tracking station. Disconnecting and reconnecting fixes it to the point of there being two Bill Kermans (which is correct, since client_2 did abandon a Bill earlier)

22:30
- client_2 (which is currently in control of the ship) detaches a small docked ship (which has no Kerbals but a drone) and switches to controlling it, once again warping the other ship (which client_1 now has control of) 26km away.

22:50 - The rest of the video is me trying to redock the small ship, and failing miserably, mainly because I attached the drone the wrong way which completely throws me off and causes me to waste all my RCS.

Downloads

Edited by JohannesMP

should probably have someone else fly another ship and spectate while trying to rendezvous with the other client. I think you bugged it out because you were trying to fly the same ship on both clients.

Negative. Spectator mode, where one player switches into an already controlled ship was added in KMP v0.1.4. The documented behavior is that the spectator is unable to change anything on the ship (which is working correctly). In addition to that, if the ship is public, and the controlling client switches out, control is yielded to the spectator. Testing of this functionality was the primary focus of the last test.

Edited by JohannesMP

@tetryds: It's exactly once every 3 seconds (by default) :)

I can't speak for the others, but because I was on ADSL (and then accidentally got shaped when I switched to 4G-LTE), my priorities were improving the network. Pre-0.1.4 I couldn't even play on any internet server at all, in the current dev (my improvements got merged), even UDP refuses to drop out.

My priority at the moment is to do final testing with my NTP sync branch. The "Kicked for being too slow" messages won't exist in 0.1.6.

@JohannesMP: Now I have to watch 35 minutes of video and open up lots of bug reports :)

@Rizendell: To be honest, I think that might even be more tricky. I've never even attempted 3-way docking mode. Spectate mode has been around for quite a while now but it's a little unclear that you have to try to fly the other players ship.

6:20 - Attempting to spectate the vessel, client_2 suddenly experiences a really strange UI bug, becomes unresponsive to the menu items and ultimately the client has to be forced to shut down

I get the above issue sometimes, it usually just requires hitting F7 a few times to open and close the KMP window...its like the standard keys are just locked out by KMP for some reason until you open up the window again.

Does anyone else have an issue with Remote Tech 2, or probes in general not allowing you to easily turn on the RCS and SAS? I have to mash the keys repeatedly until it overclicks and then they stay on...haha and then I can't get them to turn off without doing the same thing!

Current'y having an issue connecting. I get into a server, it shows the members then everyone's name goes away. Says UDP connection lost. And it says Synchronizing..... then boots me from the server. any ideas ?!?!?!?!

Haven't had a change to pull that video apart for bugs just yet, Something on my to-do list for tomorrow :)

I haven't played with RemoteTech2 but that sounds like something funny is happening with input locks. I think you can see what input locks are on in the debug menu.

@Nold: That sounds suspiciously like a KMP crash from the description. The only other explaination is you got kicked for having an invalid player token (which is should tell you on the main screen), or incompatible mods compared to the server (which is should also tell you on the main screen).

If it was neither a player token issue or incompatible mods, Can you upload KSP_Data/output_log.txt to pastebin and PM me? If you see an exception in the log, feel free to also open it on our github bug tracker: https://github.com/TehGimp/KerbalMultiPlayer/issues?state=open (That requires a github account however).

Does anyone else have an issue with Remote Tech 2, or probes in general not allowing you to easily turn on the RCS and SAS? I have to mash the keys repeatedly until it overclicks and then they stay on...haha and then I can't get them to turn off without doing the same thing!

The Problem is maybe that you have a too high distance between your drone and the command center, you can see how big is the lag between them in left top corner there is a field with 0.0001213 S or bigger numbers.

Read the files before you report issuses.

Haven't had a change to pull that video apart for bugs just yet, Something on my to-do list for tomorrow :)

I haven't played with RemoteTech2 but that sounds like something funny is happening with input locks. I think you can see what input locks are on in the debug menu.

@Nold: That sounds suspiciously like a KMP crash from the description. The only other explaination is you got kicked for having an invalid player token (which is should tell you on the main screen), or incompatible mods compared to the server (which is should also tell you on the main screen).

If it was neither a player token issue or incompatible mods, Can you upload KSP_Data/output_log.txt to pastebin and PM me? If you see an exception in the log, feel free to also open it on our github bug tracker: https://github.com/TehGimp/KerbalMultiPlayer/issues?state=open (That requires a github account however).

I will send the data this afternoon. I took out the 2 mods that I did have. Its so weird, I see the people in the server for a few seconds, then they go away and all I see is my name. My friend in the server says he can see my name and it says "synchrionizing". I can also chat with everyone for a minute or so.

When i try to connect to a server it says error start save missing! verify client installation!, a quick reply would be nice. Cheers... by the way the mod looks awsome

When you download the client files you'll have a folder called 'saves' that contains a 'KMP' folder. This folder needs to be placed in the saves folder in your KSP installation. So basically make sure that you have the correct stuff in Steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program/saves/KMP. If you already did this try deleting the previous KMP safe folder, re-download the client files and try doing it again. Never try to load this save in the game normally.

Also, saying 'quick reply would be nice' is in no way going to make replies faster :P people reply when they see a post and have time.

Edited by JohannesMP

Still no support for multiple players on the same ship?

Correct. The best you can currently do is fly a ship, and someone else spectates you. They can take over the ship for you if you EVA/undock, assuming you left the ship public. No way yet to delegate people to control certain parts of your ship.

I'm getting an error, running the server on both my xubuntu 12.04 and also windows xp respectively. Its probably something minor that I've overlooked, but I'm stumped; on self help after many hours of searches and attempts to fix the problem.

[00:49:22] [Error] : Unexpected exception encountered! Crash report written to log file
[00:49:22] [Error] : System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'ConfigNode KMP.KMPVesselUpdate.getProtoVesselNode()'.
at KMPServer.Server.hostingLoop()
at KMPServer.ServerMain.hostServer(ConfigStore settings)
[00:49:22] [Error] : Stacktrace:
[00:49:22] [Error] : at KMPServer.Server.sendPluginUpdateToAll(Byte[] data, Boolean secondaryUpdate, Client cl)
at KMPServer.Server.handleMessage(Client cl, ClientMessageID id, Byte[] data)
at KMPServer.Server.handleConnections()

This is the message I've been getting am I missing something simple? This is what happens when I login to my own server, I haven't tried with an external source since it keeps crashing the server.

@makkenhoff: Tracking in https://github.com/TehGimp/KerbalMultiPlayer/issues/626

I've seen this reported a few times but never knew the cause - I always thought it was from a bad install of the server.

From my experience with KMPVesselDumper (which doesn't work due to the same bug), Using ConfigNode anywhere outside of KSP causes a crash due to bad/strange dependencies.

Some users are affected by this, I think it is quite rare. I don't have an issue running it on mono 3.0.6, I haven't tested Windows XP (But I know you would need at least .NET Framework 4.0).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.