KMP v0.1.5.1 [0.23] [alpha] [inactive]

TehGimp666

@ZooNamedGames: -kmpdebug just helps provide a little context when things don't work correctly inside of KMP. However, if it's failing to load completely, then kmpdebug probably won't make a difference for me, you can ignore that step :).

The main thing I'm looking for is to see when KMP loads and how far it gets before crashing.

Generally pastebin is a good choice for uploading the log file.

If you are on windows, this is the file I'm looking for:

Your_KSP_Folder/KSP_Data/output_log.txt

It lists how the mods load right up the top, and then a little further on will say if they failed.

If you ever need to explain something with a picture, Imgur is a image uploading site you can use to host screenshots, most people use this one when adding bug reports.

I've also used tinypic but I have no idea what it looks like without an ad blocker.

About RTFM, It's a way of saying read the manual. The problem is the manual isn't exactly always clear, and it's kind of out of date...

Edited by godarklight

I think you are going to far, remember the problem is that it says I'm missing the squad folder. I can fix everything else, but I'm looking for why it does that. :/ and if there's a possible fix. I'll have a link to my problem before the end of the day, but if I can't find the fix beforehand then that'll make things much easier. However I'll still give anyone who need the output log, via pm or any other way feasible ATM.

Ah I see what he meant. I can fill in the blanks now and yes, the manual is FAR to out of date and explains too ambiguously. There are too many places for someone to get lost and most have gotten lost on steps that could have been explained once someone has updated it, and or added more to it. If someone outside the mod creator could update it, then it would relieve the pressure on the modder of making it.

@ZooNamedGames: All this time I was thinking KMP wasn't loading :P

Missing folder 'Squad' most likely means KMPModControl.txt isn't set up correctly on the server, or there's a strange bug in KMP.

On linux or mac it is case sensitive (I'm unsure about windows), "Squad" will not match "squad" in KMPModControl (I think). Delete Squad from the required section in KMPModControl.txt and everything should work - If you don't have the Squad folder KSP won't start anyway :P

KMPModControl.txt is changing in 0.1.6, but it has a /modgen command which should make a good KMPModControl.txt file for you.

@kaladek: Unfortunately not yet. It worked well in 0.1.4.2, but the radial component was throwing all the orbits off, we need to look for another solution to fix #436.

EDIT: As a workaround, One person can stay at the tracking station for the docking, but that kinda loses the magic of player-to-player docking. After the ships are docked, try to fly it again, it will go into spectate mode.

Edited by godarklight

@ZooNamedGames/MSHalo3Rocks: Err... I'm starting to get concerned now. Which version are you guys using?

If it's the 'dark' version, I'm going to have to look for any causes of regressions, if not, then I'd still like to understand the problem to prevent other people running into it. I usually hang out on IRC if you'd like to get in touch, and I'm usually free :)

@KvickFlygarn87: Sorry, but that's not exactly helpful. Also, I did point out that the readme is getting unclear and incorrect as KMP progresses.

Just as a general disclaimer, not to discourage anyone from trying out KMP, but please be aware that it is indeed still very much a 'pre-alpha'.

That means the following:

• In many aspects, not just lack of manuals, the Mod is still not as user friendly as it could be. I personally would discourage anyone from trying to use it if they are not reasonably comfortable with things like Port Forwarding, using a Terminal/Command-line to run scripts, compiling source-code or managing a database. That is not to say you won't be able to figure it out if you don't have that kind of experience but your mileage may vary.
  • Regarding the 'Manual' being out of date: The Mod is still early enough in development that its functionality will changes very frequently, and time is often better spent working on fixing bugs than re-writing the manual. Also there are only effectively two core developers (TehGimp666 and godarklight) working on the mod, in their spare time, and so even something as simple as updating a manual can sometimes take a while to get around to. While of course the community could help out there, it also requires an in-depth knowledge of the features of the mod to be able to do well, and it's long and tedious work. I personally wouldn't want to attempt it until at least 0.1.6.0 has been released and some more of the functionality has been nailed down.

Also, if you are having difficulty getting the mod to work, please consider jumping on the IRC chat (which you can access via your browser by clicking here), so we can try and help you in person.

If you are getting errors where it says that a directory was not found, please double check that you have everything in the right place. Here is a visual reference:

mXVVcPim.png

(click for full size)

Note: While the screenshot was taken on mac, the file structure should be identical.

Edited by JohannesMP

@godark- This is better now. I hate to see someone having the same problem as me, but it does mean that we can see and solve the problem much easier. :P I'll just go download the most recent version on Spaceport... Or should I go to the forums?

@Kvick- Honestly? The manual is too old. Besides, my problem was not in the installation, but the mod itself. Finally, I'm not going to go to google to find what you said, when your contributing nothing. If you've got a problem, go rage it someplace outside of ksp.

Edited by ZooNamedGames

@Jahannes- One of the reasons I'm so extensively determined to get this to works is (A) I want to play ksp with my friends and (B) because I want to back this up all the way until its final version (if there will ever be :P ). I just want to help and enjoy this as long as I can. All I need to know now is where the most recent version can be found... Spaceport, or the KMP forum. :/ anyway I enjoy this mod :)

All I need to know now is where the most recent version can be found...

As of right now, you can find the latest version on godarklight's build server - if you ever need to find the link, look at his signature here on the forums.

Installing it is a little more difficult than the version that's on Spaceport, since it does not include the readme.

Here is what you have to do if you want to run the absolute latest version:

1. In the "Development build" section in the top-left corner on the build server, download the latest 'CLIENT PACKAGE'.

- If you want to host a server, you'll need to also download the latest 'SERVER PACKAGE' right below that.

2. To install those you can for the most part refer to the readme that is included in the build from space port. After unzipping the client package you will need to move the contained KMP GameData folder into your Kerbal Space Program's GameData folder, and move the KMP save folder into your Kerbal Space Program's save folder.

- For Hosting a server you will need to look at the readme from the build on the spaceport; it describes which dll files you need to copy into the server folder and I don't remember them off-hand.

At this point you will have the latest 'official' development build installed, but because TehGimp666 is gone for a while, godarklight has been working on his own 'unofficial' branch which includes the newest changes and bugfixes. The next steps tell you how to apply the unofficial changes. They will eventually be included in the official version, but we need to wait for TehGimp666 to come back for him to add them.

3. You can then follow the instructions further down on the build server in the "Update while gimp is away" section. The link there will show you the latest version of the two files that update most frequently: "KMPServer.exe" and "KerbalMultiPlayer.dll".
  4. For the client, you will have to download this new KerbalMultiPlayer.dll file and replace the old one that you installed back in step 1. (in other words, you will want to replace Kerbal Space Program/GameData/KMP/Plugins/KerbalMultiplayer.dll with the new dll).

- If you want to run the Server then you will replace both the dll and the exe that came in the download in step 1 with the new ones.

Edited by JohannesMP

@Kvick- Honestly? The manual is too old. Besides, my problem was not in the installation, but the mod itself. Finally, I'm not going to go to google to find what you said, when your contributing nothing. If you've got a problem, go rage it someplace outside of ksp.

Sorry, didn't mean it in a rude way! I don't want to offend anyone. Would you like to see if I can help with TeamViewer?

EDIT: Re-reading it now, it seems like you misunderstood. RTFM stands for Read The F-ing Manual. And as for Googling it, I was suggesting that you could've Googled "RTFM" to see what it meant.

Edited by KvickFlygarn87

@Kvick- Ok, better now were on the same level :) sorry for my comment. I might consider teamviewer... But since I'm so cautious on this, I'm gonna make a compromise, I've got a seperate computer I'm using for crap that can't run anything, so I'll setup kmp EXACTLY like my kmp on the main computer and you can see what I see and move etc.etc. I'll follow whatever you do, however as I said before, at this point, it's experimentation. I'm gonna do what others have said as it sounds like a problem within the mod, but if it still works then maybe I'll ask for additional help and you can teamview then. Your best way to help now is to provide me with a server for testing.

I'll do this when I can and I'll tell you what I find. Do you know of any server that I could test on? To make sure this all works?

Your best bet there is to come on the IRC and ask people there. Godarklight has a development test server he uses occasionally, and he lists a server in the 'Development Clients' section of his build server page, but I'm not sure it's using that version.

You can also always run the server yourself locally. It's pretty easy to set up.

Edited by JohannesMP

Pffft, setting up server was anything BUT easy... And it still doesn't work. If you could just link me to the server information (ip/ etc) then I'll join.

Drag three files into a folder, run an executable and type "/start", is that really hard?

Note: Once again, I don't want to come off as harsh, but it just comes out that way.

EDIT: Come onto IRC, I'll see if I can help.

I have to forward ports, then have to get a security and a program exception for kmp. Then I have to have it forwarded via my Internet, and I forget the rest. THEN, do I reach the hosting part, granted if it says I can. I tried, and tried, but the person could never reach me. :/ so, can you please link me one?

Don't you have to forward your ports before you can host? :/

Port forwarding is only necessary if:

1. you are behind a NAT (a router)
  2. you need someone outside that NAT to access your server.

For a more detailed explanation of why and when you need port-forwarding, please see this post

Since for testing you only need to connect to yourself, you don't need to port forward. Heck you don't even need an internet connection at all, just use 127.0.0.1 (local host) as the IP in the server browser when connecting.

Edited by JohannesMP

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.