KMP v0.1.5.1 [0.23] [alpha] [inactive]

TehGimp666

@Rockyfelle185, kerbal.wlsing.nl is the "official" public server list. I added it to my sig but I don't thinks the gods/mods have approved it yet. It's definitely set correctly...

@gallexme, that's bug #455. It was kicking around for ages and we thought it was fixed a few times. It's fixed in the dev version. (Another link I had in my sig).

Murphy's law is probably going to come into play here, but I *think* the goal is to release on new years day. A few critical bugs come up on christmas :(.

@everyone: because I'm still shaped until the new year, I'm going to try to get KMP working on really slow connections, I'm talking molasses slow here (as in 30kb/s both ways shared between 5 computers type of slow).

Hopefully I can abolish the "Lost connection with server" issues completely.

EDIT: Yay, welcome back signature.

EDIT 2: I did it....

https://github.com/TehGimp/KerbalMultiPlayer/pull/530

https://github.com/TehGimp/KerbalMultiPlayer/pull/534

https://github.com/TehGimp/KerbalMultiPlayer/pull/536

Edited by godarklight

So... I have a problem. Me and my little brother have been trying to setup a server using hamachi. It is to be hosted on my computer, which I've already tested using localhost and works fine. The problem occurs when I try to connect the server to Hamachi. It rejects my IP address and port and doesn't run the server. I've been searching the internet for about three hours trying to get help. Anyone have ideas?

Note: I cannot port forward, as my dad lost the password to the router...

@cricrithezar I haven't had a crash in 0.1.4.2/0.1.5-dev but you may mean the connection. In the dev version I've probably improved it to the point of it working over avain carriers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_over_Avian_Carriers

@Ajent_K, "It rejects my IP address and port" means you are either running a server already (if the server "crashes"), or hamachi isn't working properly. If you are in the same LAN network (connected to the same router for example), you should just connect with your 192.168.x.x addresses.

If you aren't in the same network and hamachi is giving you troubles, try port forwarding (here's a guide): http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/

You need to forward TCP and UDP port 2076.

EDIT: I have no idea what the ads are like on that side as I use adblock plus :-/

EDIT 2: Most routers have a default password, It's more than likely its unchanged. Sometimes the router username and password is written on the bottom of the box, In other cases it's just user:admin, password: (nothing)

Edited by godarklight

@KvickFlygarn87

The issue tracker looks promising, but it always looks promising: https://github.com/TehGimp/KerbalMultiPlayer/issues

Select 0.1.5.0 milestone ;)

A better way to look how far we come is the commit log since 0.1.4.2, but you could be in for a little bit of a reading....

At least you don't have to read all 666 commits :)

I compiled the the current version from the SVN (1.5) and started it with MySQL support. As far as I've tested, everything works fine in both career and sandbox mode without mods. But as soon as I try to load a ship with mods that work fine in 1.4.1 Server I get the error that its not allowed on the server. I'm using the same parts list on this version. Anyone know how if there's a new way to enable mods for version 1.5?

There's a few big features coming in the next update:

-- Ryannathan's server sided mod control. This has been ready to go for quite some time (Nov 25th by the commit log).

Instead of each player editing the partlist.txt file, It's now downloaded from the server during connect. That means you can no longer launch (or even use) mods on "stock" servers. In 0.1.4.2 a stock server and a mod server were the same, in 0.1.5 this has changed.

The other important section is the "required mods" bit, If you don't have the mod you can no longer join the server. Mods that add parts listed in the part list shall be put into the required section of the server mod control file. This is a server admin thing...

I did create a (kind of dodgy but seems to work very well) program that connects to a KMP server and manages the mods in GameData for you. It hasn't been heavily tested and will not be distributed with KMP - But I'll make it available on my build server.

-- Career mode

"/set gameMode 1" will make it a career server.

-- MySQL support

Because some people (especially mac users) don't like sqllite.

-- Vessel piracy (This was more of a configurable bug fix)

The target still unsets at 500m away from the craft, but if you can dock without using a target (the nav ball is useless), you can take control of the craft by docking to it.

-- Even more connection improvements (shameless self plug)

You should no longer get the "UDP connection lost" spam.

More important messages get through quickly, thereby making things like chat much more responsive. You can even talk during the initial sync.

There's been quite a few changes and I've missed a *ton*, but I'm not really fond of combing through the commit log. I assume gimp will do that to make the changelog :)

Edited by godarklight

I love MySQL. For some reason I can't seem to figure out how to edit, much less view, the table info. I already have a server computer running everything my gaming community (sites, game servers, VOIP, databases, ect) so I'm able to edit the database when ever I need to. I fear the duplicate ship bug coming back.

-- Ryannathan's server sided mod control. This has been ready to go for quite some time (Nov 25th by the commit log).

Instead of each player editing the partlist.txt file, It's now downloaded from the server during connect. That means you can no longer launch (or even use) mods on "stock" servers. In 0.1.4.2 a stock server and a mod server were the same, in 0.1.5 this has changed.

The other important section is the "required mods" bit, If you don't have the mod you can no longer join the server. Mods that add parts listed in the part list shall be put into the required section of the server mod control file. This is a server admin thing...

I did create a (kind of dodgy but seems to work very well) program that connects to a KMP server and manages the mods in GameData for you. It hasn't been heavily tested and will not be distributed with KMP - But I'll make it available on my build server.

I did see a new file on the client side with some information on it. Good to know its now server side. Fortunately, I have the internet speeds to support what ever mods get thrown on it. I'll work on setting that up now. I'm really eager to start testing this live with the few friends I have playing already. I would love to have that tool when you make it available. Please post when it is.

One more question. In career mode, is science and unlocks communal? As in everyone shares the the science and the unlocked tech as it progresses.

Not sure what happened. It said I needed to wait for a mod to approve my post then it disappeared. I guess I'll just chop it down to something easier to type at 4am.

I run a gaming community with on a server computer I have and internet speed to match (Game Server, sites, databases, ect). MySQL makes my life so much easier on a daily basis. I haven't figured out how to edit, much less view, the table contents of a sqlite file.

I've been messing around with the 1.5 server's parts list and it looks this will make it easier to control mods. I would love to have that tool when it becomes available. It would make my life much easier as I'm currently obsessed with KSP. Will there be any plans for an option to allow the clients to download the mods directly from the server on connect?

I've been following some of you're commits. We are moving forward because of the devs. My thanks to you and the rest of the devs for your hard work. I've wasted enjoyed many many hours of KMP building a space station with a few friends.

I love the idea of piracy. With the addition of mechjeb on the server making things easier its nice to throw a curb ball at the noobies who don't know how to manually dock yet.

Two caveats (at the moment) though: MySQL support might be a little "crashy", and some people have issues with science points / research not saving correctly.

My mod client source code (I hope it doesn't make your eyeballs explode):

https://github.com/godarklight/KMPModClient

As it uses code borrowed from KerbalMultiPlayer it inherits GPL.

It can be found on my build server page,

or a slightly more direct link http://chrisand.no-ip.info:82/kmp/testing/modcontrol (The how to page)

or a direct link http://chrisand.no-ip.info:82/kmp/testing/modcontrol/KMPModClient.zip

The program *could* be a little dangerous, I haven't seen it do anything bad yet, but there is a chance it can delete all mods from your mods folder. It works like this (excluding KMP/Squad folders):

1. Connect to a KMP server and download KMPModControl.txt (hold it in memory)

2. Copy mods not in GameData-KMPModControl from GameData

3. Copy mods from GameData-KMPModControl into GameData that are in the required list

4. Delete mods from GameData that are *not* in the required list

The program is command line but should be pretty easy to pick up - The idea is someone else will pick it up and make a GUI for it. There's still a few things left to implement: Like how to handle the md5 section (it doesn't) or the resource whitelist/blacklist section (it doesn't).

EDIT:

It was a curveball to me and I'm *good* at docking. Took me a while to figure out how to ignore the navball.

I was also thinking about deleting KMPModControl.txt locally but ryan brang up one good point: How will users know the exact config of the server...

It's good to hear that KMP is becoming playable, The first release kind of showed Squad why multiplayer was a bad idea, but gimp's worked out most of the teething issues :)

Hopefully KMP runs fine under these conditions if it becomes popular again (I'm talking normal ships though): http://i.imgur.com/rfSQ0wP.png

Also, 0.1.5 isn't out yet but there is already a public server (on the server list) running the development version. Short domain names for the win ;)

Edited by godarklight

I love the idea of piracy. With the addition of mechjeb on the server making things easier its nice to throw a curb ball at the noobies who don't know how to manually dock yet.

Yes, let's ruin the hour for people who have done nothing to harm us and are struggling to get into space whatsoever and/or view docking as a mystical thing beyond their grasp/are trying to learn  let's deorbit their spaceships or send their Kerbals into wonky interplanetary trajectories. That'll teach the little sh**s for thinking they could have fun in a video game with people who've been playing longer than they have.

Yes, let's ruin the hour for people who have done nothing to harm us and are struggling to get into space whatsoever and/or view docking as a mystical thing beyond their grasp/are trying to learn  let's deorbit their spaceships or send their Kerbals into wonky interplanetary trajectories. That'll teach the little sh**s for thinking they could have fun in a video game with people who've been playing longer than they have.

LMAO! Don't miss understand me. I don't allow griefing, trolling, or any misconduct that will result in ruining the fun of any player. I don't allow it for my gaming community and not for my beloved KSP. Everyone has to learn at one point how to play the game. And if they want to dock with our space station that My friends and I spent Hours a day for a couple of weeks on then they will have to learn how to dock. Not everything is locked on our server but the station is off limits to the young and unworthy. If this happens to you on a regular basis then maybe you need to play on a new server. KSP is serious business .

PS,

godarklight:

Thank you for the tool. I noticed something weird today. The server started crashing when I would launch any ship.

There is already an open DataReader associated with this Connection which must be closed first

I turns out that something created so many connections to the sql that all of my apps that depend on it started having the same issue. Not really sure if kmp caused it but I'll try to replicated the issue and maybe point out the cause.

THIS. The pic you added ->http://i.imgur.com/rfSQ0wP.png<- brings back nightmares.

Edited by DestructDez1
Forgot to mention godarklight's post.

That exact SQL bug is one of the 2 bugs holding 0.1.5 :)

@Everyone, I believe you have misunderstood me.

I was referring to vessel piracy as in the setting that defaults to "off" that allows you to dock with private ships. It's hard even for thoae skilled at docking. This is 0.1.4.2 behaviour....

The problem with the mods in 0.1.4.2: There is no check server side. People were launching FAR and MJ parts on "stock" servers.

0.1.5 will change this, but any sane server admin will provide a config they think will be the most popular, or offer a mod and non-mod server.

MJ should be put in the "required" section because it adds parts.

Things like Kebal Alarm Clock should be put in the resources-whitelist section (If whitelisting optional mods)

New players and old players are welcome to play KMP, we don't have the "Learn to play" attitude ;)

So how exactly does docking work in KMP? Like if two people controlling two different ships dock, who gets control when they do dock?

Is there a way to have two people in a ship so when one of the kerbals in that ship leave, the other person still has control, or if a ship separates into two different ships both are instantly controlled by the two people already using the ship to make complicated maneuvers (tandem munlanding as an example) possible?

I haven't actually used the mod yet because I'm planning on playing it on my own server with some friends

Docking can be a little touch and go, but I managed to dock with another player while 0.1.4 was getting released.

When you are near another player in orbit, it goes into a different positioning mode that keeps you both relative to each other. It may make your ship twitch like mad, but you will both see the same thing from the other point of view.

Just get really really close and let them come towards you. When they dock to you the other player will watch your vessel in spectate mode (or you will watch them if they saw you dock first).

I *think* your old vessel is "destroyed" and you will watch the new player, that's how it works in KMP.

When they undock your ship you can hop back into it.

There's also another thing about spectate mode, if the other player leaves you will instantly control that ship too.

The best way to understand KMP is to just try it out :)

@Everyone using the 0.1.5 dev client, I updated my KMPModClient program to be *slightly* less stupid and more idiot proof. I also dropped support for ICSharpblahblahLib, as the compression methods are already in .NET/mono. You only need KMPModClient.exe now (A whopping 10240 bytes!). You can find it on my build server.

0.1.5 is coming Real Soon .

EDIT: Vessel piracy docking is like regular single-player normal docking - Except it unsets the target within 500 meters. Good luck.

Edited by godarklight

I'm not exactly sure what is causing the open connection issue with MySQL but a quick search on google gave me a good idea where to start. I think somewhere in the code there's a connection being made without it being closed similar to this site. I'm sure you guys are much better at coding than I am but I'll tinker with it for a while.

As far as the dev 1.5 build goes. I love it. Can't wait till the stable release. You guy are the best and Happy new years.

Edited by DestructDez1
Miss spelled

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.