[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

Having similar problems. Basically brought my system to a halt when I looked at a planet with clouds and also froze when switching to map view.

See video for example of probe around Duna. FPS top-right corner.

Output log: http://www./view/yyadccbrcgd4t9c/output_log_volumetrictest6.txt

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that is part of the issue above.

Testing the updated Volumetric Release (7), I'm getting an odd error and a short "hang" that also draws a white line across the screen when returning from the Map View to the Flight View.

Here are a few instances of it in the KSP.log:

[LOG 00:08:06.003] Camera Mode: CHASE
[LOG 00:08:06.004] ASE -- Switching to Before Shock
[LOG 00:08:06.446] Clouds: Recenter: (0.0, 604000.0, 0.0)
[EXC 00:08:09.348] IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
[LOG 00:08:09.415] Clouds: Recenter: (-562897.2, 124257.5, 180340.7)
[LOG 00:08:15.261] [PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: R3 Sprite
[LOG 00:08:15.279] Maneuver Mode enabled
[LOG 00:08:15.292] ASE -- Switching to Interior
[LOG 00:08:16.082] Camera Mode: CHASE
[LOG 00:08:16.083] ASE -- Switching to Before Shock
[LOG 00:08:16.358] Clouds: Recenter: (0.0, 604000.0, 0.0)
[EXC 00:08:17.915] IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
[LOG 00:08:18.000] Clouds: Recenter: (-559863.4, 124567.5, 189345.8)
[LOG 00:08:20.710] [PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: R3 Sprite
[LOG 00:08:20.735] Maneuver Mode enabled
[LOG 00:08:20.748] ASE -- Switching to Interior
[LOG 00:08:22.127] Camera Mode: CHASE
[LOG 00:08:22.127] ASE -- Switching to Before Shock
[LOG 00:08:22.143] Clouds: Recenter: (0.0, 604000.0, 0.0)
[EXC 00:08:23.420] IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.

There were no other errors related to clouds prior to this in the log, and I don't get the crash log, so... I have no further details to provide beyond that. This is with using 100% of the BoulderCo folder from the test release with the exception of the clouds kerbin1.png file, which I have to halve to 4096x2048 due to hardware limitations. This is occurring above 35km... not sure if it occurs in space as I'm focusing mainly on aircraft flight for these tests. It /might/ have been occurring at lower altitudes but wasn't noticeable.

Otherwise this update looks very good.

Edited by Cydonian Monk

Is there something in the cfgs or the GUI that allows you to adjust the cloud layer altitude? I'm playing with RSS, and my cloud layer is at ~70km, which is way too high.

The only change I made to play with RSS is to multiply the camera swap distances by 10. Is there something else I need to change?

Is there something in the cfgs or the GUI that allows you to adjust the cloud layer altitude? I'm playing with RSS, and my cloud layer is at ~70km, which is way too high.

The only change I made to play with RSS is to multiply the camera swap distances by 10. Is there something else I need to change?

basicly go to your folder and open the common.cfg in it mutiple the values by 10. in it say duna is 200 defualt using rss u want it to be 2000.

basicly go to your folder and open the common.cfg in it mutiple the values by 10. in it say duna is 200 defualt using rss u want it to be 2000.

I already did that. I said it right in my post "The only change I made to play with RSS is to multiply the camera swap distances by 10"

I already did that. I said it right in my post "The only change I made to play with RSS is to multiply the camera swap distances by 10"

that file is no longer relevant. You have to go into the clouds folder.

Using test 7 I can see what you mean by using the texture map to set the number of clouds and looks like that is working really well. I think the volumetric clouds blend pretty well at the edges of the major cloud fields with the texture map (looking down from 68km). The thing I found most distracting was the pop in of the hexes at the borders when over a dense part of the cloud texture and the hard edge of that hex.

Not sure how to get around that edge other than some kind of fade-in, but it looks like it's faithful enough to your texture map that if you did something with the particle size increasing as you got closer or increase particle count it might be a good enough illusion.

It looks awesome up close and when you're in the clouds. You've nailed that part I think.

Fading hexes in and out would be a great improvement over the current 'explosion' of clouds.

Another option would be to have a finer grid. More, smaller hexagons. Instead of 3 large hexagons you could have 19 smaller ones covering roughly the same area. Spawning and removal of the edges will now be largely obscured by the nearby clouds. If you could combine this with fading the transition will be nearly invisible.

Using test 7 I can see what you mean by using the texture map to set the number of clouds and looks like that is working really well. I think the volumetric clouds blend pretty well at the edges of the major cloud fields with the texture map (looking down from 68km). The thing I found most distracting was the pop in of the hexes at the borders when over a dense part of the cloud texture and the hard edge of that hex.

Not sure how to get around that edge other than some kind of fade-in, but it looks like it's faithful enough to your texture map that if you did something with the particle size increasing as you got closer or increase particle count it might be a good enough illusion.

It looks awesome up close and when you're in the clouds. You've nailed that part I think.

Yeah, I think to take care of the blending issue, I'm going to have it fade with distance, so you will end up just seeing the 2D layer.

Fading hexes in and out would be a great improvement over the current 'explosion' of clouds.

Another option would be to have a finer grid. More, smaller hexagons. Instead of 3 large hexagons you could have 19 smaller ones covering roughly the same area. Spawning and removal of the edges will now be largely obscured by the nearby clouds. If you could combine this with fading the transition will be nearly invisible.

This is what I hope to eventually implement, but it was important to me to make sure that performance wouldn't be an issue, and lets face it, 3 hexagons is a LOT simpler to manage rather than 9. I have a trick up my sleeve for making the layers fade in/out as well if I can make it work properly.

Also:

I noticed that there was some odd lag. KSP would run fine, if I move the view to somewhere else, it would drop down to 12FPS then back up to 50. I'm wondering if this is actually due to graphics memory being shuffled in/out of hardware, Which would explain the drop then recover.

Switching from Universe Replacer to Texture Replacer definitely helped improve my performance, and the latest beta is even smoother performance wise. Thanks!

Holy....s....t.......this made SUCH.A.HUGE.DIFFERENCE! From 20, I am back to 60 FPS for the first time since I installed UR in 0.22 and never thought to check if IT is the mod that kills my FPS.

What version of VE? Screenshots?

Don't suppose it really matters now, but here's the bug-

http://imgur.com/AvgwPeu,5KrxFyD,i7lN7KX#0

http://imgur.com/AvgwPeu,5KrxFyD,i7lN7KX#1

http://imgur.com/AvgwPeu,5KrxFyD,i7lN7KX#2

As you can see by the timer, these screencaps were taken within seconds of eachother and show black spots appearing and disappearing on the clouds rapidly and haphazardly.

Don't suppose it really matters now, but here's the bug-

http://imgur.com/AvgwPeu,5KrxFyD,i7lN7KX#0

http://imgur.com/AvgwPeu,5KrxFyD,i7lN7KX#1

http://imgur.com/AvgwPeu,5KrxFyD,i7lN7KX#2

As you can see by the timer, these screencaps were taken within seconds of eachother and show black spots appearing and disappearing on the clouds rapidly and haphazardly.

Oh that's because the cloud layer clips into the surface at those distances. You can fix it by raising the clouds a bit.

Rbray, has there been an update to the stable release which includes a fix for the "fadeDistance"? It seems like there is something in the plugin that reverts the "fadeDistance" back to the wrong "FadeDistance" each time I launch the game. So I have to fix it for every launch.

Holy....s....t.......this made SUCH.A.HUGE.DIFFERENCE! From 20, I am back to 60 FPS for the first time since I installed UR in 0.22 and never thought to check if IT is the mod that kills my FPS.

I knew it caused me performance issues, but it was still relatively smooth enough. Alongside the Volumetric Clouds though, it really hurt. I just didn't realize there was an alternative out there for UR until he pointed it out to me.

Ok, but then what do I have to change?

Hey brooklyn. I'm using the latest Volumetric version with RSS and all I had to change was the altitude in the clouds config. I set it to 10km. Seems to work for me for the most part. You will still have to replace the citylights with the RSS version though -- you can get it here, though I would keep the citylights.cfg from the latest version of the volumetric test and just modify it to use the new textures instead.

Rbray, has there been an update to the stable release which includes a fix for the "fadeDistance"? It seems like there is something in the plugin that reverts the "fadeDistance" back to the wrong "FadeDistance" each time I launch the game. So I have to fix it for every launch.

Will do.

{10 chars}

done.

{10 chars}