[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

installed new version and now the clouds are gone. i have real solar system and i checked and saw the clouds where under the planet. i cant for the life of me find out how to raise them... i checked in the configs and play around with that and it did absolutely nothing.

Hi, I have a very peculiar problem. Clouds don't show up on any planets, but city lights show up on Kerbin. Is there any way to fix this?

EDIT: Nope, haven't fixed it. Any suggestions?

Edited by kaichorazewicz
It seems I haven't solved it.

installed new version and now the clouds are gone. i have real solar system and i checked and saw the clouds where under the planet. i cant for the life of me find out how to raise them... i checked in the configs and play around with that and it did absolutely nothing.

It is possible that RSS sets the radius too late. I'll see what I can do.

Just did a launch on Test8. Your blending method works nice. There was a little pop in right before I got far enough away from the clouds that they faded out all together. But the pop in wasn't bad and I probably woudn't have noticed had I not been looking for it. Edges of hexes seem to be gone too and I was looking for them as well.

I'll keep running this one until you put up another test or new release with the volumetrics and let you know if I see anything glitchy or weird.

Awesome job.

Hi, I have a very peculiar problem. Clouds don't show up on any planets, but city lights show up on Kerbin. Is there any way to fix this?

EDIT: Nope, haven't fixed it. Any suggestions?

I've had the same problem but I've discovered this workaround: tab ALT + N and go to advanced settings. Select 'restore to default' and the clouds pop back into existance.

Just did a launch on Test8. Your blending method works nice. There was a little pop in right before I got far enough away from the clouds that they faded out all together. But the pop in wasn't bad and I probably woudn't have noticed had I not been looking for it. Edges of hexes seem to be gone too and I was looking for them as well.

I'll keep running this one until you put up another test or new release with the volumetrics and let you know if I see anything glitchy or weird.

Awesome job.

Thanks! Haven't gone to any other bodies yet, so you may want to check those out.

I don't know how you did it rbray but it's bloody awesome, I can't quite believe how diverse and beautiful this mod has become, major congrats! XD

Well I went to youtube and uploaded... JK. Thanks! I think I'm happy with how it operates provided no one finds any major flaws with it. If that's the case, next up will be rings & asteroid belts.

Rbray, I haven't tried Volumetric Test 8 yet (I'm using 7). With RSS and the altitude set at 10,000, I can see the clouds at that altitude and they look great.

The only issue is that the clouds are only limited within a 200 meter diameter of my craft. Is there anything I can change in the configs to increase the radius of the clouds? I'll try Test 8 tonight and report back as well.

Rbray, I haven't tried Volumetric Test 8 yet (I'm using 7). With RSS and the altitude set at 10,000, I can see the clouds at that altitude and they look great.

The only issue is that the clouds are only limited within a 200 meter diameter of my craft. Is there anything I can change in the configs to increase the radius of the clouds? I'll try Test 8 tonight and report back as well.

I am in talks with NathanKell about what he's doing with the camera. There is something there that is preventing the shader from rendering in a similar fashion to normal KSP.

Holy....Test 8 just blew my mind.

http://imgur.com/a/1Lm06

rbray89, I am actually speechless. When finally emerging from Eve's clouds, the view is simply astonishing. I'm not sure how you can solve the layering though. The fading on Kerbin is spot on, they fade out pretty much at the perfect altitude.

Ah, the layering... yeah, I can fix that. just have to figure out what works with rim-transparency.

I'll check v8 later today with my Eve Aerobot, but from the above it looks like you fixed the hex problem, great. I think your going to have to make the cloud layers nearly or complete opaque though from a distance. Eve's surface should be completely obscured from orbit, it adds more challange to the game... until someone makes a rader mapping science part.

Edited by RuBisCO

I'll check v8 later today with my Eve Aerobot, but from the above it looks like you fixed the hex problem, great. I think your going to have to make the cloud layers nearly or complete opaque though from a distance though.

Nearly opaque? Do you mean transparent? To fix what?

Hmmm, i'm still on your latest stable but this new v8 is way too tempting to ignore !

I've got one question though, can you provide an even Higher res cloud texture ? I know the current is 32mb PNG and very detailed, but at intermediate altitude, when it's too close to the global cloud texture, it's still too blocky to my taste.

So is it possible to generate an even higher res version for the people who have the memory and horsepower to run ? :)

Or there are engine limitation ?

Hmmm, i'm still on your latest stable but this new v8 is way too tempting to ignore !

I've got one question though, can you provide an even Higher res cloud texture ? I know the current is 32mb PNG and very detailed, but at intermediate altitude, when it's too close to the global cloud texture, it's still too blocky to my taste.

So is it possible to generate an even higher res version for the people who have the memory and horsepower to run ? :)

Or there are engine limitation ?

Unfortunately it is an engine limitation. 8K is the best that can be done, and on Macs it is 4K. Make sure you don't have half-res textures set in your KSP settings at start-up.

I'm thinking of ways around the limitation, always looking to improve the quality of the visuals.

Also, how do people feel about a name change? Considering I'm modifying the environment and not touching parts, I was thinking of going with "Environment Visual Enhancements" Thoughts?

Unfortunately it is an engine limitation. 8K is the best that can be done, and on Macs it is 4K. Make sure you don't have half-res textures set in your KSP settings at start-up.

I'm thinking of ways around the limitation, always looking to improve the quality of the visuals.

Also, how do people feel about a name change? Considering I'm modifying the environment and not touching parts, I was thinking of going with "Environment Visual Enhancements" Thoughts?

Oh ok so it is indeed a limitation :(

Yes thanks, i'm running with the best possible graphical options. If your mind is brewing over some possible solutions, they will be most welcome ! :D

I agree with the renaming, makes sense.

Seemed OK for me, definetely not 20FPS again.

Hmmm... I'll have to double check. Looking at the code, I'm pretty sure it would at least introduce some lag, though i also made improvements in another shader, so that could be helping out elsewhere.