[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

I'm using rss and I noticed that the flat clouds do not show up until I bring up the alt+n menu and load the save. Even then the flat clouds show up at a lower altitude than where they are defined. For example, when I set the altitude to 10,000 the flat clouds seem to hover at about 4km but the volumetric clouds are at at the proper height of 10km. The city lights also seem to clip in the terrain in some spots after a certain altitude (the water does as well, though). I'm not asking for a fix or anything, just trying to understand what is happening. Does it have something to do with PQS settings or what? It may be an issue with RSS with the city lights, but I don't understand what is going on with the 2d cloud layer.

P.S. Excellent job with this mod, rbay. It really helps add that little bit extra that the vanilla game is missing. Keep up the good work. :D

Amazing stuff, rbray! Congrats!

An idea re: z-fighting. Might it be possible to increase the cloud-sphere's radius based on camera's distance from the scaled-space planet? That is, when close, it could still be only 6km or so above the surface; when far away, it'd be more, to avoid z-fighting. Even if you don't see it much stock, it's a big issue in RSS with the 11x diameter planet but still wanting clouds only 6km or so above the surface!

And my *guess* is that by the time z-fighting becomes an issue, it won't be visually obvious whether clouds are 6 or 30km above the surface...

Does this have issues with RSS? I go to launch and I only see volumetric clouds for a short distance around the space center. The clouds seem to work right after I get into orbit though.

I'm using rss and I noticed that the flat clouds do not show up until I bring up the alt+n menu and load the save. Even then the flat clouds show up at a lower altitude than where they are defined. For example, when I set the altitude to 10,000 the flat clouds seem to hover at about 4km but the volumetric clouds are at at the proper height of 10km. The city lights also seem to clip in the terrain in some spots after a certain altitude (the water does as well, though). I'm not asking for a fix or anything, just trying to understand what is happening. Does it have something to do with PQS settings or what? It may be an issue with RSS with the city lights, but I don't understand what is going on with the 2d cloud layer.

P.S. Excellent job with this mod, rbay. It really helps add that little bit extra that the vanilla game is missing. Keep up the good work. :D

I'm not entirely sure myself. I'll have to try some things out to see if I can get it to work.

WOudl like sill be able to use old packs with this version, like astronomer pack?

By the way

Where is this cockpit andother parts from?

Not until they are updated to use the new config structure.

depth as i thickness of the layer, from its current 50m thickness to say 100m r so

Not yet, support to change particle size and shape will come though.

Does this have issues with RSS? I go to launch and I only see volumetric clouds for a short distance around the space center. The clouds seem to work right after I get into orbit though.

This doesn't work with RSS quite right. Looking into why.

Amazing stuff, rbray! Congrats!

An idea re: z-fighting. Might it be possible to increase the cloud-sphere's radius based on camera's distance from the scaled-space planet? That is, when close, it could still be only 6km or so above the surface; when far away, it'd be more, to avoid z-fighting. Even if you don't see it much stock, it's a big issue in RSS with the 11x diameter planet but still wanting clouds only 6km or so above the surface!

And my *guess* is that by the time z-fighting becomes an issue, it won't be visually obvious whether clouds are 6 or 30km above the surface...

I was thinking about this last night as I was trying to wrangle an asteroid :) I'll probably add it to the shader in the next release.

New release 7-1 is looking very nice and rounded, though there is one major problem I'm having. Everytime I change anything in the Alt+N menu my volumetric disappear, the only way I can get them back is by reverting to launch or relaunching in someway. Literally any changes remove my volumetrics, and loading clouds from save or to default doesn't replace them. 2D cloud layer isn't effected by this problem at all and behaves normally. I am running 0.23.5 however so I can't say forsure if this is the mods fault or just incompatibility with the new ksp release.

New release 7-1 is looking very nice and rounded, though there is one major problem I'm having. Everytime I change anything in the Alt+N menu my volumetric disappear, the only way I can get them back is by reverting to launch or relaunching in someway. Literally any changes remove my volumetrics, and loading clouds from save or to default doesn't replace them. 2D cloud layer isn't effected by this problem at all and behaves normally. I am running 0.23.5 however so I can't say forsure if this is the mods fault or just incompatibility with the new ksp release.

You may have to go to mapview and back.

First off. Congratulations on a absolutely fantastic mod! This makes the game look SO much better.

Now I'm sorry if people have mentioned this before. would it be possible to add atmosphere scattering (soft distance fog)

This is what I'm talking about:

bluesky.jpg

See how the hills in the distance look bluer the further away they are. it would give you a much better sense of scale.

I think Duna and Eve would really benefit from this.

I'm surprised this hasn't been added already.

First off. Congratulations on a absolutely fantastic mod! This makes the game look SO much better.

Now I'm sorry if people have mentioned this before. would it be possible to add atmosphere scattering (soft distance fog)

This is what I'm talking about:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/atmos/atmpic/bluesky.jpg

See how the hills in the distance look bluer the further away they are. it would give you a much better sense of scale.

I think Duna and Eve would really benefit from this.

I'm surprised this hasn't been added already.

The only way I can think implementing this is by adding a transparent sphere, infinite in size ending at some point in front of you. The number of those spheres would increase with distance.

This won't look great, but I'm not an expert at these things.

Edited by Astronomer

The only way I can think implementing this is by adding a transparent sphere, infinite in size ending at some point in front of you. The number of those spheres would increase with distance.

This won't look great, but I'm not an expert at these things.

There are many ways of doing this, some of which are very cheap:

http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/ScriptReference/RenderSettings-fog.html

The ideal method is a shader-based one, as cttw said. Google Earth now has the option to enable such a shader for example:

iN12vOu.jpg