[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

Ok, sounds good to me! I'll have to get some good textures to match though.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the sky has received enough love for now. I'd like to fly over/splashdown in slightly better water. Really the only two things that bug me are the texture tiling that becomes evident as you get higher and the fact that the water is so transparent - I have two horizons while floating in the sea - the water line and the ground beneath it I can make out.

Oceans are coming with my terrain changes.

rbray, as you're messing with terrain shaders, can you add that request of mine a bit back re: city lights, such that there's an option for a day texture as well as a night texture? I.e. instead of making the city lights invisible during the day, make it show a daytime city detail texture instead.

It's amazingly immersion-breaking to be flying over NYC and it be all grassland/forests...

100% agree.

Ok, sounds good to me! I'll have to get some good textures to match though.

I was thinking: Can't you just take the city lights textures and, if they're on the day side make them grey and if they're on the night side make them as they are now?

Heh. I used the word "just" when asking a coder to do something. You'd think I was in management.

Do the clouds of Jool have any volume? They don't seem to. Also they are sort of very low consider the planets surface pressure and temperature, I moved them to 50 km, 40 km and 35 km, but they have no volume.

Do the clouds of Jool have any volume? They don't seem to. Also they are sort of very low consider the planets surface pressure and temperature, I moved them to 50 km, 40 km and 35 km, but they have no volume.

Odd... I guess Jool has no PQS. I'll have to figure out what to do there.

So I installed this mod and I like it very much. However I noticed something that kind of ruined it where the mountains are poking through the clouds and it looks bad. How do I fix this? You can see it here to the left of my station.

http://i.imgur.com/ADt3maq.png

A) Make the clouds higher in the configs

B) Make a second cloud layer that is higher then the first, perhasp a volumeless wispy one, you need to make your own cloud layer .png.

I was very (very) skeptical my rig could handle volumetric clouds, but quite pleased to say I haven't really noticed any significant performance hit (and they look lovely). Kudos, rbray! This is an amazing achievement.

One question though... while I appreciate the inherent limitations of texture mapping, is there any way I might reduce the appearance of tiling artifacts?

FKZnkNG.jpg

Edit: Just noticed Astronomer released his pack... might be all I needed. :)

Edited by Jethro Bodine

jethro to get like the ss i put up dont use his .cfg use the stock mod one. then eve be a scarry place that u dont see surface till around 7km

rbray couldnt do 2 cloud layers that fit together like a puzzle piece to make the clouds feel taller. they would have to exactly match thou and go exact same speed thou hmm worth trying some time

Woo! These volumetric clouds are beautiful, reminding me of my years of play Aces High II and gazing into the sky. I again felt the rush and thrill of flight whilst rising into the clouds.

-Duxwing

For tiling artifacts you have to put the "scale" to 15. It is much better this way.

You can look on the first page, there is a link to "Disabling clouds in map view" or something like this. There is a post there, where a user explains exactly your issue and how to fix it. I have always been using his entire configuration from that picture.

It seems to work like a charm and he has made his cloud cover rotate negative to kerbin's rotation, so it looks amazing.

Hey guys what's up with the proot and astronomer packs? I've only been popping in here now and then - mainly been waiting for the OP to be updated with new configs. I might have missed the actual posts. A few posts back tho sidfu and jethro mention the astro pack but again, the OP says the configs haven't been updated. Is the OP just out of date in that respect?

One way of improving the detail textures is by placing two or more layers of clouds on top of each other with different velocities for the detail textures but the same velocity for the main texture.

Anyways I been playing around with sandstorms on Duna, here what I got so far:

http://www.filedropper.com/rollingduststormsonduna

Just copy the zipped cloud folder on top of the one in BoulderCo folder. All I did was create a texture for the sand/dust storms, I made 4 layers with this texture having the same velocity, layers are at 125, 1325, 2525, 3725 meters and go from 0-75% transparency. So the higher you are the more transparent the sandstorm.

Next up more complex clouds on Eve.

Hey guys what's up with the proot and astronomer packs? I've only been popping in here now and then - mainly been waiting for the OP to be updated with new configs. I might have missed the actual posts. A few posts back tho sidfu and jethro mention the astro pack but again, the OP says the configs haven't been updated. Is the OP just out of date in that respect?

Astronomer just uploaded an alpha version of his pack on SpacePort. I think proot is still refining his pack, but it's part of a larger mod so it might take him a bit longer.

And thanks to everyone above suggesting workarounds for the tiling issue. I really appreciate it! :)

Oh my goodness.... That sandstorm finally convinced me to download this.. I don't know why I waited, the high res textures are beautiful! I can't wait to get to Duna and see the sandstorms! A bit of RP with folding away transmitters and solar panels and it'll be so much fun...