[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

What exactly is going on here? Some kind of volumetric fog?

More or less. It will be to create thick atmospheres for places like Jool where volumetric clouds look silly and don't work well, and to assist in places with atmosphere like Eve where most of the cloud overlays could be replaced with this. The deeper you go, the darker and thicker it will get, hiding mountains until you get close. Could also be used for fog or atmospheric distance effects.

This mod is great ... ! Just had some nervous moments when descending through a massive sandstorm on Duna, not knowing what kind of landscape would wait beneath (big plus for me ... !). Btw, it looked like the whole planet was covered in volumetric clouds / sandstorms.

2l9twz6.png

Ive been thinking of something.. is there a way so that when you hit the cloud layer that the camera gets clouded out as well? Ive yet to try 7-2,but i noticed a halo of sorts that surrounds my craft as i ascend through the cloud layer. So.. instead of trying to fix this i thought.. wouldn't it be cool if i lost sight of my rocket as it hit the clouds? Itd make launching through clouds a little on the scary side. Not to mention how cool it would to go from not being able to see then BOOM your on top of the world lol. Kinda like when when your looking out the window of a plane.

Ive been thinking of something.. is there a way so that when you hit the cloud layer that the camera gets clouded out as well? Ive yet to try 7-2,but i noticed a halo of sorts that surrounds my craft as i ascend through the cloud layer. So.. instead of trying to fix this i thought.. wouldn't it be cool if i lost sight of my rocket as it hit the clouds? Itd make launching through clouds a little on the scary side. Not to mention how cool it would to go from not being able to see then BOOM your on top of the world lol. Kinda like when when your looking out the window of a plane.

The "halo" is from the 2D layer to avoid clipping with the camera. The problem with fogging out the camera is both detection of when to do so, and what to fog out (ie. you don't want to be looking at a partial cloud and have the entire screen white-outed).

What I'm working on now: Looks like I'll have to replace the terrain and ocean shaders first though, as they aren't doing depth buffer writes in the terrain shader for some reason. I hope it isn't a good reason.

http://i.imgur.com/aeddHOa.png

In related conversation, does anyone have good grass/mountain/sand/water textures that I can use?

That would look great as an Eeloo environment.

although purists might not like adding atmosphere to Eeloo.

anyway here's some textures you may find useful:

I can't figure out how to add an album, here's a link

http://imgur.com/a/3HovS/all

just grass variants I'm afraid, If I come across any decent dirt / rock textures I'll add them.

That would look great as an Eeloo environment.

although purists might not like adding atmosphere to Eeloo.

anyway here's some textures you may find useful:

I can't figure out how to add an album, here's a link

http://imgur.com/a/3HovS/all

just grass variants I'm afraid, If I come across any decent dirt / rock textures I'll add them.

Just strip out everything from the url except the code letters and numbers:

[noparse]

Javascript is disabled. View full album
[/noparse]

Looks like this:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I was having that problem. Don't know exactly what caused it, but found a simple workaround.

I start the game, then in the space center view hit alt-n. Select the default settings and apply. Just like magic the clouds work. (Note this is before I saved any changes. No idea why it isn't automatically loading default settings.)

In my RSS game I've seen good results by raising the cloud layer's altitude, and slowing the speed way down.

I was having that problem. Don't know exactly what caused it, but found a simple workaround.

I start the game, then in the space center view hit alt-n. Select the default settings and apply. Just like magic the clouds work. (Note this is before I saved any changes. No idea why it isn't automatically loading default settings.)

In my RSS game I've seen good results by raising the cloud layer's altitude, and slowing the speed way down.

Hmmm... I will have to dig into this. If this works, I have no idea why the current iteration doesn't do it automatically.

how can i disable only the volumetric clouds? i am running a buttload of mods and i am getting out of memory crashes on reentry when flying through the clouds. ram usage jumps from 2,6GB up to 3,5 and crashes.

and yes, i have the texture management mod already installed.

thanks

how can i disable only the volumetric clouds? i am running a buttload of mods and i am getting out of memory crashes on reentry when flying through the clouds. ram usage jumps from 2,6GB up to 3,5 and crashes.

and yes, i have the texture management mod already installed.

thanks

I can answer that, ALT+N, then for each cloud layer un-check the Volumetric clouds option.