[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

Oh sweet jebus, yay! I too use RSS to get rid of it but I think that's what's causing my launches to have a yellow MET timer.. If EVE can do it in the next release though, I swear I will have your babies.

Erm... not sure exactly how I should feel about that.

This isn't something I figure you need to look at right away but I want to bring up cities. Don't get me wrong, I think it looks awesome and I know it makes a lot of people happy. But close up, its not just repetition or even lack of resolution that starts to diminish it, its simply the size. Just massive, featureless cities with no character, like a lazy modern artist slapping paint carelessly on a canvas. I believe the best example I can give is the airport on the island outside the KSC, using the texture there just looks bad. I think its a bit easier to hide that effect by toning down the size. I realize how much work it would take to make this effect truly awesome, but barring that, being more conservative with its use could help, and more specifically the size and placement of the various plots.

I assume this will be opened up for artists eventually, but a consideration nonetheless.

I don't have a firm release date. Basically, the things I want complete:

Shaders (ScaledSpace, Terrain, Ocean, Atmosphere)

Test and eliminate bugs from GUI

Desired:

Rings

Auroras

Expect less than a month, but more than a a week.

A'ight, man. I would however suggest releasing the new GUI/Shaders before you try to tackle Rings/Auroras. I personally really want to try out the new features, but can't really on the not finished dev builds.

A'ight, man. I would however suggest releasing the new GUI/Shaders before you try to tackle Rings/Auroras. I personally really want to try out the new features, but can't really on the not finished dev builds.

Alrighty then. Will do :)

http://imgur.com/a/BCKPU

Really nice work. I especially like how the beaches are now visible rather than going from ocean to green. Though I'd say the darker ocean looks a bit more natural.

Oh that is easy to change. The colors are really just placeholders. Like I said, it needs an artist's touch :)

To each their own, I guess :) If you like the glow, good on ya.

I'm more a fan of the crisp mun.

gKvjoTs.png?1

In the end, the Mun is really hard to capture. Because it's always different in many different circumstances. It makes you appreciate the universe more.

I don't touch cameras at all. Maybe KSP/Unity auto-sets clip planes? Although it's odd that it affects only water, not land.

The only possibly-related things I do are:

*Set atmosphereDepth in PQSMod_AerialPerspectiveMaterial (a KerbinOcean PQSMod) to 7500 (from 5000), following the change in scaleHeight. Though I'm not sure what this does, exactly.

*Set atmosphereDepth in PQSMod_AltitudeAlpha (a Kerbin PQSMod) to 6000 (from 4000), ditto as above.

Regarding atmosphere: as I think (hope?) I mentioned, feel free to just rip out the AtmosphereFromGround section from RSS; we even both use confignodes for it.

You might also want to support replacing atmosphere ramps (you can see how it's done in the Alternis Kerbol source). I keep meaning to add that to RSS, but it's much more your department. :)

Finally, regarding cities: I have to say I agree with Hyomoto here, and I'm coming around to your idea of using alpha for city lights (to avoid having duplicate textures). I'd much rather deal with orange/yellow-only city lights (with perhaps some shader-supplied color variation) and have two different city textures, than only one day and one night one. Therefore I suggest rather than having "city" and "landclass," you just have various levels of urbanness *as* landclasses. That would still limit us to only one type of texture per 4.9x4.9km square (well, a smaller square than that on Kerbin; I'm talking Earth) but that should be decent.

I don't touch cameras at all. Maybe KSP/Unity auto-sets clip planes? Although it's odd that it affects only water, not land.

The only possibly-related things I do are:

*Set atmosphereDepth in PQSMod_AerialPerspectiveMaterial (a KerbinOcean PQSMod) to 7500 (from 5000), following the change in scaleHeight. Though I'm not sure what this does, exactly.

*Set atmosphereDepth in PQSMod_AltitudeAlpha (a Kerbin PQSMod) to 6000 (from 4000), ditto as above.

Regarding atmosphere: as I think (hope?) I mentioned, feel free to just rip out the AtmosphereFromGround section from RSS; we even both use confignodes for it.

You might also want to support replacing atmosphere ramps (you can see how it's done in the Alternis Kerbol source). I keep meaning to add that to RSS, but it's much more your department. :)

Finally, regarding cities: I have to say I agree with Hyomoto here, and I'm coming around to your idea of using alpha for city lights (to avoid having duplicate textures). I'd much rather deal with orange/yellow-only city lights (with perhaps some shader-supplied color variation) and have two different city textures, than only one day and one night one. Therefore I suggest rather than having "city" and "landclass," you just have various levels of urbanness *as* landclasses. That would still limit us to only one type of texture per 4.9x4.9km square (well, a smaller square than that on Kerbin; I'm talking Earth) but that should be decent.

I'll have to look into those. On a side note, any idea how to remove a PQSMod entirely? I'm trying, but it looks like one I created is still getting called :(

Will do. Really want these shaders done though :)

Hmmm... Yeah. That would work. And as for blending? I was thinking of making it such that cities are a "binary" feature. On/off. Though I don't know how nice that would look.

You can remove it from the component list and then call DestroyImmediate on the reference to it? That's how I destroy PartResource components in RealFuels, and it does seem to actually kill them.

Oh, don't worry about the above stuff until you have your shaders done, I'd say; it was just "easy stuff you can paste in hopefully" that I wasn't sure I'd mentioned.

For blending...actually, here's another suggestion. I first saw this a long time ago (the early days of Morrowind modding IIRC), using textures' alpha channels to blend between them on boundaries. So with your landclasses, assuming you have fewer than 2^16 landclasses, you could use only some distinct shades for landclasses and declare the inbetween shades (which would result due to texture filtering) as blend landclasses; the shader would render from both landclass textures, blending based on their alpha channels. I'm not sure of the mechanics of detecting the gradient (i.e. which way, on the quad, is "towards landclass x" and which "towards landclass y") but it's worth thinking about.

That would, obviously, lose using the alpha for lights, but it might be worth the tradeoff.

You can remove it from the component list and then call DestroyImmediate on the reference to it? That's how I destroy PartResource components in RealFuels, and it does seem to actually kill them.

Oh, don't worry about the above stuff until you have your shaders done, I'd say; it was just "easy stuff you can paste in hopefully" that I wasn't sure I'd mentioned.

For blending...actually, here's another suggestion. I first saw this a long time ago (the early days of Morrowind modding IIRC), using textures' alpha channels to blend between them on boundaries. So with your landclasses, assuming you have fewer than 2^16 landclasses, you could use only some distinct shades for landclasses and declare the inbetween shades (which would result due to texture filtering) as blend landclasses; the shader would render from both landclass textures, blending based on their alpha channels. I'm not sure of the mechanics of detecting the gradient (i.e. which way, on the quad, is "towards landclass x" and which "towards landclass y") but it's worth thinking about.

That would, obviously, lose using the alpha for lights, but it might be worth the tradeoff.

I think I'll just stick with the current blend method for now then. City lights Alpha Texture integration it is then.

I'm not sure if this just because the latest build is experimental(Overhaul-3) and you're aware of this but if not I wanted to mention there was some big bright squares. It's almost like big blocks of Kerbin were dissapearing. Otherwise looks great and seems to run smoother overall.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=260205184

Few things I'd like to mention that I just think about sometimes:

-Would be cool to add an effect that makes the horizon no longer visible at a certain height due to air density.

-The way chunks of volumetric clouds draws in should be fixed so they fade in instead of appearing as large chunks at once.

-It would be so cool if there was a way to make clouds cause turbulence, basically have the density of clouds determine how much to shake a plane up to simulate turbulence in clouds. I was also thinking things like sand storms on Duna could shake stuff up a little too. It would just be a very cool way to make them interactive and would give good reason to launch under clear skies. Maybe as a separate side mod.

Edited by mcbmaestro

I have an issue with the astronomer's visual pack + e.v.e. on my mac. With default settings and everything in its proper place, the land textures on kerbin are colored blue as seen in this image:

http://i.imgur.com/ZlyqSMZ.jpg

Any ideas for a fix?

The atmosphere look a bit sharp.

Everything else... well, it's the way it's meant to be. Am I missing something?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a1/Earth_%26_Mir_(STS-71).jpg