[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

I installed Overhaul 9-2 and this error keeps appearing in my error log:

http://i.imgur.com/ctJO3FR.png

It doesnt seem to affect anything... but its odd that its there, because the Kerbin texture seems to be working.

Something (another mod) is make the texture not readable. Volumetric clouds won't work properly.

Didn't see an answer to my question, so thought I would ask again.

Not exactly sure what you mean by this... Geosynchronous? Or counter-planetary rotation?

Keep in mind that the clouds are children of the main body, so to keep them in geosynchronous orbit is easy, set rotation to 1. Counter-planetary is (really) hard, as the rotation/frame has to line up exactly to the opposite of what the body is rotating at to keep it "still". Even a tiny amount off will mean it would drift over time.

Oh ok, well I'm using spacedinvador's planet pack now, and EVE play well with it, except it may be using an older rss config or something as I can't use my previous AFG node without it giving bkack skys and no AFG on any planet :(

(DP soz)

Rbray: do you think you could also address that cloud speed issue I mentioned, in the next release, even if you were to implement the 2D shadows (Which would be immeasurably awesome) I'd still be using a volumetric shadow layer beneath the main 2d&3D cloud layer, which at the moment would still suffer from this issue

"You're killing me smalls!" So to sum up (I think you may have mentioned this) due to precision error when calculating how much it should be rotated from the m/s value, using the circumference, yatta yatta, over time, the multiplication doesn't line up. I'm not exactly sure what I can do about this. I could in theory round each calculated value to a more discrete value, so they could line up. The problem being that there are times they could be on the "wrong side of a round".

The other option here would be to go back to rotation speed instead, but that removes a useful reference frame.

Thoughts?

Not exactly sure what you mean by this... Geosynchronous? Or counter-planetary rotation?

Keep in mind that the clouds are children of the main body, so to keep them in geosynchronous orbit is easy, set rotation to 1. Counter-planetary is (really) hard, as the rotation/frame has to line up exactly to the opposite of what the body is rotating at to keep it "still". Even a tiny amount off will mean it would drift over time.

As you may or may not know, Erona and I have been planning to add Sunrises and sets. We managed to find a speed in EVE 7.3 where the layer stands still. The problem now, is that as Kerbin rotates around Kerbol, the part where it transitions from Day to Night changes location. Of course this means that the Sunrise effect does not move with the Transition, and thus messes everything up. There's also the problem that when I load the game up at different locations of Kerbin's orbit, the location of the layer changes.

We were wondering if you could add this in an update, if it's even possible.

As you may or may not know, Erona and I have been planning to add Sunrises and sets. We managed to find a speed in EVE 7.3 where the layer stands still. The problem now, is that as Kerbin rotates around Kerbol, the part where it transitions from Day to Night changes location. Of course this means that the Sunrise effect does not move with the Transition, and thus messes everything up. There's also the problem that when I load the game up at different locations of Kerbin's orbit, the location of the layer changes.

We were wondering if you could add this in an update, if it's even possible.

Umm... I can think about it, but I can't think of a good way to solve it right now.

I'm not seeing City lights, all I see in Kerbin's opposite side of the Sun is this:

http://i.imgur.com/07FtouK.jpg

Here are the mods I'm using, how the GameData folder is and the output_log - http://tinyurl.com/qc5pfla

Which release are you running? If you go to the mapview in flight (not tracking station) do the city lights appear?

what is in BoulderCo/ActiveTextureManagerConfigs/BoulderCo?

If ATM isn't doing this, I have no idea what is.

This is what is in the BoulderCo. config:

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER_CONFIG
{
folder = BoulderCo
enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
BoulderCo/Clouds/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = true
scale = 1
max_size = 0
make_not_readable = false
}
}
}

I know it's still WIP but shouldn't those shadows move west to east just like the clouds?

No, because the shadows are being drawn from their relation to the sun. So as the clouds move across the sky, the shadows appear to move the opposite direction. It would look pretty bad to have the sun on the horizon and the shadows from the clouds being projected straight down.

No, because the shadows are being drawn from their relation to the sun. So as the clouds move across the sky, the shadows appear to move the opposite direction. It would look pretty bad to have the sun on the horizon and the shadows from the clouds being projected straight down.

I think you've got the right idea but are missing a key part of the explanation. Try picking up a flashlight and a piece of paper. The shadow moves in the same direction as the paper when you move the paper, but the opposite direction if you move the flashlight. The shadows appear to move the opposite direction because Kerbin is spinning faster than the clouds are moving.

ETA: And the clouds are moving in the same direction as Kerbin's rotation.

Edited by Master Tao

Compared to the cloud speed the planet rotation is negligible. If the clouds move from left to right so do the shadows on the surface. Light source, object and shadow always stay exactly in line.

Which release are you running? If you go to the mapview in flight (not tracking station) do the city lights appear?

I'm running the last one; well, it seems to work in the mapview, I don't know why I didn't tested it there... :blush:

Thanks and keep up the awesome work!

I know it's still WIP but shouldn't those shadows move west to east just like the clouds?
I think you've got the right idea but are missing a key part of the explanation. Try picking up a flashlight and a piece of paper. The shadow moves in the same direction as the paper when you move the paper, but the opposite direction if you move the flashlight. The shadows appear to move the opposite direction because Kerbin is spinning faster than the clouds are moving.

ETA: And the clouds are moving in the same direction as Kerbin's rotation.

So the test is basically having a projector follow the outside of the sphere oriented to the sun, pointed at the same direction as the light is. So as the sun moves, the projector moves. The projector is currently just displaying the texture, like a flat map (imagine a projector with a single static transparency on a sphere), so it doesn't take into consideration the actual position of the clouds.

Essentially, the demo was to just make sure it will actually end up displaying as it should. So far, it looks good, so I can progress with more work.

Why do the prereleases/overhauls destroy the terrain shaders? It's supposed to be a graphical imporvement, but I can't seem to get the terrain shaders fixed. It's really annoying me.

I think you have the basic idea, but are missing the point. This is WIP. I still have lots to do to get everything working as originally desired. I had to create a basic replacement to make sure other features would work, and same goes for ocean. Same for everything basically. Please be patient, it is a DEV release, hence why it isn't on the first page.

So the test is basically having a projector follow the outside of the sphere oriented to the sun, pointed at the same direction as the light is. So as the sun moves, the projector moves. The projector is currently just displaying the texture, like a flat map (imagine a projector with a single static transparency on a sphere), so it doesn't take into consideration the actual position of the clouds.

Essentially, the demo was to just make sure it will actually end up displaying as it should. So far, it looks good, so I can progress with more work.

Looks great so far. Your way of displaying shadows sounds much cleaner and more accurate than the way I had in mind, so the mistake I made in my thought experiment won't affect your results. I'd forgotten to account for cloud movement speed being relative to the surface. Whoops. Sorry for any confusion.

My scanner's not working, so I can't show any diagrams, but it looks like clouds moving prograde will have shadows that move the same direction, but faster than the clouds. Clouds moving retrograde will have shadows moving the opposite direction, unless they somehow manage to move faster than the surface rotation speed. On Earth, that can't happen because the surface speed is about 450 m/s (NASA), but the fastest clouds move about 80 m/s (Argonne National Lab).