[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

100% agree with being patient.

EVE is one of my top favorite mods for KSP... from its beginnings. Make possible a new and fresh experience in every new version. KSP is much more fun, spectacular and beauty with EVE.

7-4 version is a great, great, great work... and function perfectly well with 0.25 KSP.

I have a great hope in the next EVE too, but we must remain cool, be grateful and as constructive as we can with Bray. Especially while he is still working on this despite having less time for KSP. That don't have price.

As if it has not been clear Rbray, we love you. :kiss:

I thought I'd share these screen just to encourage development of a biome based texture control for the overhauls, this was using some high-res screen prints of GoogleEarth I edited slightly, and is one texture for the entire globe. It also only worked on the white poles

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Also for some reason the SS land texture appears on the ocean?

Edited by pingopete

Hey there, firstly let me congratulate and thank you for this very awesome mod, I can't imagine playing KSP without the awesome visuals I get now.

I've been on a long run to fixing my installation of KSP after the update, and some exceptions about EVE always present themselves:

[EXC 16:49:29.404] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()
[EXC 16:49:29.434] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()
[EXC 16:49:29.559] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()
[EXC 16:49:29.862] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()
[EXC 16:49:29.883] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()
[EXC 16:49:29.904] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()
[EXC 16:49:29.918] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()
[EXC 16:49:29.933] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()
[EXC 16:49:30.004] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()
[EXC 16:49:30.040] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()

These spam on from time to time.

[EXC 16:49:39.739] UnityException: Texture 'BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/aurora' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.
Clouds.CloudParticle.Update (UnityEngine.Texture2D tex)
Clouds.VolumeSection.Update ()
Clouds.VolumeManager.Update (Vector3 pos)
Clouds.CloudLayer.UpdateParticleClouds (Vector3 WorldPos)
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()
[EXC 16:49:40.039] UnityException: Texture 'BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/kerbin1' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()
[EXC 16:49:40.332] UnityException: Texture 'BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/Stratus' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()
[EXC 16:49:40.626] UnityException: Texture 'BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/kerbin1' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()
[EXC 16:49:40.852] UnityException: Texture 'BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/Stratus' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()

These also appear from time to time in the log, I've checked and files are where they supposed to be. I'm not sure if these begun appearing after converting the textures to dds for faster loading.

Also note that I've modified with some components of 'Better Atmosphere'.

EXC 16:53:58.363] UnityException: Texture 'BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/aurora' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()
[EXC 16:54:01.359] UnityException: Texture 'BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/aurora' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()
[EXC 16:54:04.292] UnityException: Texture 'BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/kerbin1' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()
[EXC 16:54:05.309] UnityException: Texture 'BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/kerbin1' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()

These pretty much spam continually during flight. visually It all seems fine, but I wouldn't know if some are missing, experiencing lag too.

So any hints, could something be wrong on my install?

Hey there, firstly let me congratulate and thank you for this very awesome mod, I can't imagine playing KSP without the awesome visuals I get now.

I've been on a long run to fixing my installation of KSP after the update, and some exceptions about EVE always present themselves:

[EXC 16:49:29.404] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()
[EXC 16:49:29.434] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()
[EXC 16:49:29.559] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()
[EXC 16:49:29.862] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()
[EXC 16:49:29.883] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()
[EXC 16:49:29.904] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()
[EXC 16:49:29.918] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()
[EXC 16:49:29.933] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()
[EXC 16:49:30.004] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()
[EXC 16:49:30.040] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()

These spam on from time to time.

[EXC 16:49:39.739] UnityException: Texture 'BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/aurora' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()
[EXC 16:49:40.039] UnityException: Texture 'BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/kerbin1' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()
[EXC 16:49:40.332] UnityException: Texture 'BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/Stratus' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()
[EXC 16:49:40.626] UnityException: Texture 'BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/kerbin1' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()
[EXC 16:49:40.852] UnityException: Texture 'BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/Stratus' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()

These also appear from time to time in the log, I've checked and files are where they supposed to be. I'm not sure if these begun appearing after converting the textures to dds for faster loading.

Also note that I've modified with some components of 'Better Atmosphere'.

EXC 16:53:58.363] UnityException: Texture 'BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/aurora' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()
[EXC 16:54:01.359] UnityException: Texture 'BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/aurora' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()
[EXC 16:54:04.292] UnityException: Texture 'BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/kerbin1' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()
[EXC 16:54:05.309] UnityException: Texture 'BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/kerbin1' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.
Clouds.Clouds.Update ()

These pretty much spam continually during flight. visually It all seems fine, but I wouldn't know if some are missing, experiencing lag too.

So any hints, could something be wrong on my install?

The first are a known issue. They only exist between scene transitions.

The "Not readable" issues are from the DDS loader. It assumes textures don't need to be readable and makes them unreadable to mods. This will cause you problems with the volumetric cloud cover.

Thanks guys! It's been hard to find the time, but we are slowly getting there. I Just polished off the shadows, so next will be the atmosphere and then the ocean.

oh wow! I didn't know there was water changes planned.

that's fantastic!

I've been thinking that's it's the one thing that still looks a bit naff

Do you have active texture management installed? It used to do that for me, you can try disabling it for EVE.

I had it, but it begun having issues with 0.25, I removed it and found it was actually much better without it. I'm on linux so no memory issues...

The first are a known issue. They only exist between scene transitions.

The "Not readable" issues are from the DDS loader. It assumes textures don't need to be readable and makes them unreadable to mods. This will cause you problems with the volumetric cloud cover.

Thanks I'll report back on its thread to check it out, weird thing is that it looks ok. For the aurora file mentioned seem to show up on the map view.

Em, I have quite a serious issue with this mod. Not only does it crash KSP, but it crashes my entire PC! my specs are quite high too! Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming motherboard. CPU: Intel Quad-core 4670k (i5). GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 OC edition. it's a gorgeous mod. it is version 7-4. In my cinematics directory I have KW rocketry, Kerbcam, Camera Tools and the Planet shine mod paired with EVE (using astronomers' pack). Please fix asap.

P.S: I'm trying it stock (as in no EVE Packs, just EVE)

Edited by One-Way Films

In my cinematics directory I have KW rocketry, Kerbcam, Camera Tools and the Planet shine mod paired with EVE (using astronomers' pack). Please fix asap.

P.S: I'm trying it stock (as in no EVE Packs, just EVE)

Without a crash log (search the forum on how to get that) no one is going to be able to help you.

http://i.imgur.com/1JPnZnm.png

I love you, you fixed the horrible sky in stock KSP. This overhaul is looking really good.

Thanks!

So... I need some feedback, especially from people with less than stellar graphics cards... I need performance metrics (anecdotal is fine if compared to the "mainline" release of EVE)!

I have a fairly beefy laptop, and can't seem to get KSP to phase it, so I need your help in determining if the new shaders are overkill or appropriate. I'm doing some pretty hefty computation in them, so I need to make sure they will suffice for older computers as well :)

So if some brave souls can install the current overhaul nightly (https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/blob/Overhaul/x64-Release.zip?raw=true) and give it a whirl and report back (FPS, better/worse than current release & by how much, Machine specs) I'd very much appreciate it :)

@rbray89, I was wondering how you got all of these custom shaders into the game, I've been trying to implement my own, and I have no clue how to load them. I noticed on the github repository that there were 2 versions of each shader, one in human-readable code and the other in some compiled format, and that the compiled format is the one that is loaded.

Hey, I got some weird kind of glitch on the Night Time planet side. Here are the Screenshots: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198077446368/screenshots/?appid=220200&sort=newestfirst&browsefilter=myfiles&view=imagewall

Do you know what is causing this?

Also, this is another Print Screen from my GameData Folder if needed: VnVlD82.png

Edited by Arch3rAc3

Let me kick it off then, I used three different laptops with settings maxed for their respective configurations. And to be honest, I was a bit surprised with what I found. In some cases it seems your shaders actually perform better than the stock ones, though the averages are literally the exact same. My test was not strenuous, so if someone else wants to try another test, go ahead. Settings were default terrain, scatters set to 100%, anti-aliasing 2x, vsync every frame, limit 60 fps, pixel light 12, cascades 8, render fantastic, texture quality full, aerodynamic normal. I think you'll notice the pattern pretty quickly. Anyways, this was done during take off from the launchpad with a 3 part rocket.

Asus G550JK - Core i7 @ 2.5gHz, GeForce GTX 850M, with or without, 60 FPS @ 1080p High Quality

Qosmio X775 - Core i7 @ 2.0gHz, GeForce GTX 560M, with or without, 60 FPS @ 1600x900 High Quality

Sony Vaio F - Core i7 @ 1.73gHz, GeForce GT 425M, with 45, without 45, @ 1600x900 High Quality

Here are some statistics for not using a dedicated graphics card:

Asus G550JK - Core i7 @ 2.5gHz, Integrated Graphics, with 7, without 7 FPS @ 1080p High Quality

Asus G550JK - Core i7 @ 2.5gHz, Integrated Graphics, with 17, without 17 FPS @ 720p High Quality

Asus G550JK - Core i7 @ 2.5gHz, Integrated Graphics, with 24, without 24 FPS @ 720p Reduced Quality (no antialiasing, no vsync, render set to good)

EDIT: I derped. I actually performed the 'max settings' test on the integrated card. I'm an idiot. The rest of these are fine though.

Edited by Hyomoto