[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

Hey could you post some screens? I always thought cloud shadows would add a lot to the game.

K5nvUcu.jpg

You can find that "feature" by default, since lot, lot time ago, in KSPRC (EVE 7-4 plugin, right now). Anyways Rbray's wip-EVE has a "clouds cast shadows" system (works by default, unless you set the cloud detail in 0 -as only thing visible-), works much better and is much prettier.

Edited by Proot

I'm using KSP 1.0.2 with EVE 7.4 and everything works fine. I'm running it on a mac and using the high-res with no lag at all. The only thing I want to point out is that every time I launch a rocket it keeps tumbling out of control and blowing up due to aerodynamic stress when I'm about 2-5 km high up, and I never point too far away from the prograde marker. I'm using FAR and this only happened after I installed EVE. Is this normal or a bug?

This has literally nothing to do with EVE.

Hey could you post some screens? I always thought cloud shadows would add a lot to the game.

Proot's got a good one! :D I'll send you a picture of my current 1.0.2 save when I get home too. I have an additional mod called GEM-FX that looks extremely pretty as well as PlanetShine, my own custom skybox, new planet textures (btw Proot you may want to look at them, HERE's a link), and HotRokets (and a trackIR program+edited selectikns from KSPRC).

Proot's got a good one! :D I'll send you a picture of my current 1.0.2 save when I get home too. I have an additional mod called GEM-FX that looks extremely pretty as well as PlanetShine, my own custom skybox, new planet textures (btw Proot you may want to look at them, HERE's a link), and HotRokets (and a trackIR program+edited selectikns from KSPRC).

So GEM FX is working with KSP ? Wua nice . I am using it in ROME 2 and it is great visual mod.

Will try it for sure.

Hey Proot/Blackrack/Rbray, feast your eyes :D. I'm not sure if any of you want to take this technique or not but it does look quite pretty.

I've been experimenting with multiple cloud layers. And shaders. And custom skyboxes/planet textures.

Here are some images of the lower cloud layer. I added a shadow layer just below the main overlay so from orbit it looks like a shadow on the planet's surface, and from the ground it looks like shadowing on the bottom of the cloud.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

EDIT: That's strange, the gif wasn't working. Changed to YouTube video.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

hey would .dds conversion work? it would save sooo much memory! Even planet packs use that conversion now! I'm still experimenting...

- - - Updated - - -

well, it only works under the coud layer...

- - - Updated - - -

.dds doesn't read transparency properly...

Alrighty! I've made my own cloud pack which adds shadows to Laythe and Kerbin, a cirrostratus cloud layer to Kerbin, and removed one of Jools cloud layers while adding a completely new cloud texture to Eve. This is a replace for the official Sept. 5th release, which replaces the cloud.cfg, adds three additional cloud layers, and removes one.

Note that this is using a faded version of Thesonicgalaxy's Better Atmosphere's cloud layer for Kerbin

Here's a video of what kerbin looks like with this mod + a new planet texture for kerbin

*Note that this album is also using Endraxial's planet textures

Download: Avg's cloud pack-v2 (dropbox)

See you guys later. :)

EDIT: Oh and Rbray feel free to do anything you want with this.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Alrighty! I've made my own cloud pack which adds shadows to Laythe and Kerbin, a cirrostratus cloud layer to Kerbin, and removed one of Jools cloud layers while a completely new cloud texture to Eve. This is a replace for the official Sept. 5th release, which replaces the cloud.cfg, adds three additional cloud layers, and removes one.

Note that this is using a faded version of Thesonicgalaxy's Better Atmosphere's cloud layer for Kerbin

Here's a video of what kerbin looks like with this mod + a new planet texture for kerbin

http://imgur.com/a/RLDLd

Download: Avg's cloud pack (dropbox)

How can I install it? Where should I put the files?

Alrighty! I've made my own cloud pack which adds shadows to Laythe and Kerbin, a cirrostratus cloud layer to Kerbin, and removed one of Jools cloud layers while a completely new cloud texture to Eve. This is a replace for the official Sept. 5th release, which replaces the cloud.cfg, adds three additional cloud layers, and removes one.

Here's some quick feedback. I have a lower end laptop with integrated intel graphics, I run EVE with KSPRC and other than the slight lag when looking down from Kerbin Orbit, I have no issues.

I'm getting a lot of black in this pack, like maybe the shadows are *in* the clouds? Not sure how to explain it, but here's an imgur album of a quick launch a did:

Here's some quick feedback. I have a lower end laptop with integrated intel graphics, I run EVE with KSPRC and other than the slight lag when looking down from Kerbin Orbit, I have no issues.

I'm getting a lot of black in this pack, like maybe the shadows are *in* the clouds? Not sure how to explain it, but here's an imgur album of a quick launch a did:

http://imgur.com/a/mStPx

Woah. That's a lot more black than I'm getting :P. This pic even looks like the shadow texture isn't aligned with the clouds :L. The shadow layer is just below the cloud layer. that way it's supposed to look as if the clouds are diffusing light. I'll darken and re upload it in a second.

EDIT: Does this look any better? From your computer?

I'm not exactly sure how you're supposed to do shadows properly. I'm not actually sure that this release is even coded to have shadows in the first place haha. Rbray if you know a better way for me to do shadows please tell and I can update that. :)

Download has been updated.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Woah. That's a lot more black than I'm getting :P. This pic even looks like the shadow texture isn't aligned with the clouds :L. The shadow layer is just below the cloud layer. that way it's supposed to look as if the clouds are diffusing light. I'll darken and re upload it in a second.

EDIT: Does this look any better? From your computer?

http://imgur.com/a/9ualn

I'm not exactly sure how you're supposed to do shadows properly. I'm not actually sure that this release is even coded to have shadows in the first place haha. Rbray if you know a better way for me to do shadows please tell and I can update that. :)

Download has been updated.

In my WIP release, shadows are generated using a projector, so they actually affect terrain.

In my WIP release, shadows are generated using a projector, so they actually affect terrain.

Huh. So I cheated the system! Hahaha. What's your opinion of my new cloud texture? The actual texture is twice the size of the one I included-I shrunk it to save memory.

how you did you get gem-fx looks good :0.0:

Edited by tkw

how you did you get gem-fx looks good :0.0:

I got a lucky updated link from someone on the facebook group. is a download. You need to place the contents straight into your KSP directory where KSP.exe is. Not in GameData. The "Configurator.exe" is what you use to change the effects. Default F9 is used to toggle the effects on and off (I changed it to F6 to toggle and F7 to take screenshot with GEM-FX). Technically this isn't an official release, so be careful. ;)

I got a lucky updated link from someone on the facebook group. HERE is a download. You need to place the contents straight into your KSP directory where KSP.exe is. Not in GameData. The "Configurator.exe" is what you use to change the effects. Default F9 is used to toggle the effects on and off (I changed it to F6 to toggle and F7 to take screenshot with GEM-FX). Technically this isn't an official release, so be careful. ;)

no lag great :wink:

Updated my EVE cloud pack. It now has Coronas and additional clouds for Laythe :). Still for the Sept. 5th release. LINK

I started thinking after how bad things looked the last time and for this newest release I didn't merge the clouds folder, instead I deleted my original one and just simply replaced it. The results are vastly different this time. I'm not sure if it's your changes or mine :)

I started thinking after how bad things looked the last time and for this newest release I didn't merge the clouds folder, instead I deleted my original one and just simply replaced it. The results are vastly different this time. I'm not sure if it's your changes or mine :)

http://imgur.com/a/txMQI

Odd. I'm not sure what was the matter first but it looks fixed now. Do you have any suggestions? I'd love to hear them. :)

Rbray, is there a way to make cloud maps un-effected by lighting? I.E. Aurora textures? I have aurora textures implemented, but they're all dark during night, so not much use haha. Would possibly using and editing the Astronomers aurora config fix this?

Odd. I'm not sure what was the matter first but it looks fixed now. Do you have any suggestions? I'd love to hear them. :)

Only thing that I can think of is that along the way I've installed EVE with KSPRC configs, then the OPM mod and it's configs, maybe there was a config or texture file that wasn't being overwritten by yours.I even went back and reinstalled your first upload and replaced the directory instead of just merging it and it looks pretty normal.

ps7cCID.png

tl;dr ---> EndUserError :)

So has this been discussed at all, which files can be safely swapped over to dds? I know the cloud texture needs to readable, and so I would assume that the city lights texture is in the same boat. That leaves the detail textures as basically the only parts of EVE that are good for conversion? I did the memory math and this is pretty much my heaviest mod, a whopping 270mb of memory used, so I'm looking at ways to taper that a bit but the files are large and there's not much to be done for that except to shrink them and I think my clouds files are as low as I want them to go.