[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

Merry Christmas everyone! I hope that you have a good time!

@rbray89i got a weird glitch with EVE (it may also be a problem with my EVE configs or with RSS itself): cloud rendering follows only the map view camera position.

Camera 01:

Spoiler

<IMAGE REMOVED BY USER>

<IMAGE REMOVED BY USER>

Camera 02:

Spoiler

<IMAGE REMOVED BY USER>

<IMAGE REMOVED BY USER>

In the first case, the map camera covers the same view as the flight camera. In the second case the map camera has been rotated 180 degrees relatively to the flight camera. Different angles will result different areas being populated by the cloud texture(s).

Tested on a KSP version 1.0.5.1028 with the following mods:

Blackeleg Industries (1.7.0)
Community Resource Pack (0.4.8)
EVE (1.05.4)
Kopernicus (0.6.2)
PreciseNode (1.2.1)
Real Solar System (10.4.1)
Ven Stock Revamp (1.9.1)

Edited by Phineas Freak
Remove image links

On 12/24/2015 at 4:51 PM, Proot said:

As in the previous version, my configs are not working at all.
Has changed something that I've not noted in the config system?

First issue is that your pqs config has to be updated to the current format:

PQS_MANAGER
{
	OBJECT
	{
		body = Jool
		deactivateDistance = 175000
	}
}

Try the latest version. I included new logging and error handling which should make discovering the root of issues much easier.

hey guys, I have some kinds of requests/questions

1.) can you make the sun white? (and yellow when in athmosphere) It is obvious, but I wonder why there is no mod which does that. Stars shine white, everybody knows, I feel strange when in space and the sun is yellow.

2.) I love the clouds! Citylights are nice as well, but I find it strange when those cities dissappear when I land on them, so I want to disable the city lights. Is there a more elegant way other than just deleting the cityLights.dll? Or is it feasible in the first place?

3.) With the clouds its hard too see the markers in map mode, Is there a way to change the color of Ship/Sattelite/Flag/Rover/(Debris)/... etc symbols. Also when playing withug RemoteTech its hard to find the KCS, I would love to have a colored marker (other than putting flags there)

Best regards and happy holidays

Edited by nablabla

9 minutes ago, nablabla said:

1.) can you make the sun white? (and yellow when in athmosphere) It is obvious, but I wonder why there is no mod which does that. Stars shine white, everybody knows, I feel strange when in space and the sun is yellow.

2.) I love the clouds! Citylights are nice as well, but I find it strange when those cities dissappear when I land on them, so I want to disable the city lights. Is there a more elegant way other than just deleting the cityLights.dll? Or is it feasible in the first place?

3.) With the clouds its hard too see the markers in map mode, Is there a way to change the color of Ship/Sattelite/Flag/Rover/(Debris)/... etc symbols. Also when playing withug RemoteTech its hard to find the KCS, I would love to have a colored marker (other than putting flags there)

Best regards and happy holidays

1. 'Everybody' needs to be informed that stars shine in a variety of colours, depending on their class and age. Even when taken on average for the whole observable universe, star light is not exactly white.
  2. Why would you want to keep the DLL loaded if you want its function removed? You'd save yourself a bit of RAM if you just unload it, elegant or not.
  3. The mod Waypoint Manager comes to mind to add markers to places like KSC without needing flags.

4 hours ago, nablabla said:

It's actually a very elegant way already, why would you want to only disable it when you can already entirely remove it and save RAM + loading time?

8 hours ago, nablabla said:

Unless you're playing RSS or some scaled up Kerbol system mod the color of Kerbol isn't all that inaccurate. Stars aren't all white, as already mentioned. Our star is white because of its temperature. Given that Kerbol is smaller, and therefore cooler, yellow is a fitting color. The real issue in this case is what color it should appear after scattering by Kerbin's atmosphere, and those of other planets

Bug Report

OK, have EVE in default configs installed.

While I found it tolerable when the clouds glitch in the main menu, I have also spotted Jool being bisected, with one half implaying noticeably different clouds, and also sporting lightning (which I'm going to forcefully disable ASAP anyway).

And that's before your config for OPM failed to function for both moons.

A caveat: have to use outdated NVIDIA drivers; their "updates" are causing BSODs, so please don't make it the first solution.

EDIT: Also spotted cloud shadow z-fighting on Kerbin water. Jumped back to 7-4. No issues observed. Curse your sudden but inevitable beglitching.

Edited by DDE

2 hours ago, DDE said:

Bug Report

OK, have EVE in default configs installed.

While I found it tolerable when the clouds glitch in the main menu, I have also spotted Jool being bisected, with one half implaying noticeably different clouds, and also sporting lightning (which I'm going to forcefully disable ASAP anyway).

And that's before your config for OPM failed to function for both moons.

A caveat: have to use outdated NVIDIA drivers; their "updates" are causing BSODs, so please don't make it the first solution.

EDIT: Also spotted cloud shadow z-fighting on Kerbin water. Jumped back to 7-4. No issues observed. Curse your sudden but inevitable beglitching.

This is impossibly difficult to understand. I have no idea what you are trying to say here. There are glitches in the last iteration which I'm trying to get to soon.

1 hour ago, Nhawks17 said:

Rbray, just a heads up. I updated my pqs.cfg file and that seemed to fixed the issues I was having with Jool... Now I just need to figure out what is causing my sky to be black :P

Great! The latest version should help a LOT with that, as the log files are MUCH more verbose and very specific, pointing out what config items failed parsing. This should help a lot.

Oh, I can't remember if I (or anyone for that matter) have said this yet but on the main menu for whatever reason the clouds only render on the top half of Kerbin... Not a big deal in the slightest just wanted to point that out :D 

Something that bugs me is how the cloud shadows are overlapping things they shouldn't be. For example they are rendered over atmosphere glow and trajectory lines in the map view. Here are screenshots of what I mean?

I recently fumbled around with some of my mods so maybe I messed up something. Is this normal? Is there a way to fix this? Can I at least tone down this effect? I tried the GUI but none of the settings seemed to do anything.

1 hour ago, Krystman said:

Something that bugs me is how the cloud shadows are overlapping things they shouldn't be. For example they are rendered over atmosphere glow and trajectory lines in the map view. Here are screenshots of what I mean?

I recently fumbled around with some of my mods so maybe I messed up something. Is this normal? Is there a way to fix this? Can I at least tone down this effect? I tried the GUI but none of the settings seemed to do anything.

This is an issue that SQUAD needs to address. They don't use proper render queues more often than not, introducing items like these.

Hi there, I was just wondering if you could help me with my Jool issue.  As someone stated above (in an incoherent post I will not quote) Jool appears to be bisected into a lighter and darker side.  I have a feeling that this is not intentional, and I have been searching for a resolution. 

Does Scatterer disable city lights for anyone else? I installed EVE and tested it, city lights and all worked just fine. After installing scatterer though the city lights disappeared, I was wondering if EVE and scatterer are not compatible or something.

4 hours ago, Noname115 said:

Does Scatterer disable city lights for anyone else? I installed EVE and tested it, city lights and all worked just fine. After installing scatterer though the city lights disappeared, I was wondering if EVE and scatterer are not compatible or something.

I noticed that too, although in my case city lights disappear once I pass 160 km. Tried to play with configs in GUI, but that doesn't help.

Here's the log file if needed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yxjrkotykvhfn9i/output_log%20Scatterer%2BEVE.txt?dl=0

Okay, I don't know if this is EVE or Scatterer's doing (I'm going to let blackrack know as well) but with the latest dev versions of EVE it seems to be conflicting with Scatter's feature of applying a black sky until you get past a certain altitude (fades to the skybox). The black sky is showing through the atmosphere so it causes the sky to be black... Like I said, don't know if this is something that Scatterer or EVE needs to fix so I'm going to let you both know  Here's some logs if you need to look at it

Issue solved :)

Edited by Nhawks17

On 12/29/2015 at 0:05 AM, halomx said:

I installed the dev build but now its not showing any clouds on kerbin

On 12/29/2015 at 0:24 AM, halomx said:

so i opened up the gui and where it says BoulderCo/Textures/cube, invalid name is shown

@rbray89 I have also just noticed this. I am trying to get some custom cube map layers working so created a Vanilla install just with EVE to take a look at how you have done it with the supplied EVE Configs and it seems the cube map Cloud layers are not working anymore and as Halomx says above, the EVE GUI is showing the cube map path as invalid. Has there been a change to the way the cube maps are applied?

Is there any possibility you could explain a bit further on how these are to be applied? I was just in the first instance going to lay down the following 6 images so that I could orient my cube map images properly in future but alas it is not working for me.

EDIT: Looking back the past few pages you stated that you are rewriting the cube map system. Is this the reason for the above?

EDIT EDIT: And also, just theory-crafting here, with the isClamped parameter would that allow you to create a "Hurricane" like texture to place on a body without having to create it with a load of transparent, blank space in the texture as was required previously to stop it repeating, if so, rotation could be applied to the smaller, non-framed Hurricane texture to make it rotate as per reality? Am I correct in thinking that this is the intended usage of isClamped? I apologise for the many questions.

Edited by Poodmund