[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

4 minutes ago, Blacks said:

@rbray89 one small question: Is any reason way when you was use CubeMap or AlphaCubeMap all texture are png & not dds ?

I use channel separation, so I don't want the images to be lossy. 

10 hours ago, DrFumbles said:

@rbray89 Great job on the new clouds, they look fantastic!

Had a bit of a play around in the config to see what cloud covering I could come up with for Minmus.

Didn't turn out too bad with the new Dev Update and Scatterer.

Reveal hidden contents

screenshot1_zpstusegwz8.jpg

screenshot5_zpsvcvy4r87.jpg

screenshot7_zpshutg7jnl.jpg

screenshot9_zps9yfagug3.jpg

hope the pics work

Ran out of likes for the day (again) so just wanna say WOW! Those look fantastically mystical

Just a question as side note: is there a way to make the cities really black at night and only show the detaildark.dds image - or is it a bug that the detaillight.dds is always shown as basic city with the the detaildark image on top of it in the night?

I replaced the detaildark.dds with an all black, no transparency dss and still had the cities visible:

Spoiler

cities-by-night.jpg

Tried to get only lights of the cities shining through - but Kerbin look more like a fly agaric at night :(

Edited by Tekener

@rbray89 keep up the great work. I can PM you the cloud config for Minmus if you would like.

9 hours ago, Gaiiden said:

just wanna say WOW! Those look fantastically mystical

The photos do look good but I did take specific shots. Thought I would do a low pass at Physwarp to see what it looked like and not to bad for a start, still got some tweaking to do. 

Always found Minmus too easy to land on and want more difficulty. Near end of the low level run nearly found out how much more difficult.

Spoiler

see if vid works

edit. Changed to youtube.

Edited by DrFumbles

8 hours ago, DrFumbles said:

@rbray89 keep up the great work. I can PM you the cloud config for Minmus if you would like.

The photos do look good but I did take specific shots. Thought I would do a low pass at Physwarp to see what it looked like and not to bad for a start, still got some tweaking to do. 

Always found Minmus too easy to land on and want more difficulty. Near end of the low level run nearly found out how much more difficult.

Reveal hidden contents

see if vid works

edit. Changed to youtube.

Two things a) is there any way you can host or PM me the config you used to make minmus look that amazing and b) does anyone know what the in-game gui key combination is now? I checked in older config files and the keybind was a part of the config file, however it is not setup this way anymore. I've tried all combinations I can think of and can't get the in-game GUI to show for me. Basically I'm working on integrating the stock visual enhancements textures into the base BoulderCo folder, but I'd rather not have to restart everytime I want to try a new cloud layer.

To be more specific the line:
GUI_KEYCODE = N
Is no longer included in the atmosphere config file of the last two builds.

5 minutes ago, shoe7ess said:

does anyone know what the in-game gui key combination is now?

The GUI combo is ALT+0     (zero)

Still playing with the configs at the moment. want to check with @rbray89 first if it is alright to share his modded config.

1 hour ago, DrFumbles said:

The GUI combo is ALT+0     (zero)

Still playing with the configs at the moment. want to check with @rbray89 first if it is alright to share his modded config.

Of course it is! You can always extract just the minmus portion and use that in its own config file though.

@rbray89 May I know which software are you using to split the maps in two textures? I like your system of 2 png with 3 channels!

And by the way, if mipmaps are not present in the texture (png situation), generates EVE the mipmaps if you set the option as "True" in the GUI? Or is just a choice with no consecuences in that case?

7 minutes ago, Proot said:

@rbray89 May I know which software are you using to split the maps in two textures? I like your system of 2 png with 3 channels!

And by the way, if mipmaps are not present in the texture (png situation), generates EVE the mipmaps if you set the option as "True" in the GUI? Or is just a choice with no consecuences in that case?

I use GIMP. The option for the mipmaps will determine if mipmaps are there or not.

2 hours ago, rbray89 said:

I use GIMP. The option for the mipmaps will determine if mipmaps are there or not.

So is Poodmund's tutorial for setting up the cloudmaps no longer valid? I haven't been able to test it with the new system yet

It is still valid. The new cube map system still works as before if you chose the 'Cube 6' system, allowing for 4 cloud textures in 6 cube faces. The new 'Cube 3' system allows you to use 1 cloud texture in 2 images that contain 3 cube faces each; 1 image for the Xp, Yp and Zp faces and 1 image for the Xn, Yn and Zn faces.

And @DrFumbles, I test volumetric clouds on Minmus too! :D It helps to be able to test how things look around a body with no atmosphere as you can easily orbit at altitudes the cloud layers at situated at. Its a good way to test how it'd look on other bodies. 

Edited by Poodmund

16 hours ago, Tekener said:

Just a question as side note: is there a way to make the cities really black at night and only show the detaildark.dds image - or is it a bug that the detaillight.dds is always shown as basic city with the the detaildark image on top of it in the night?

I replaced the detaildark.dds with an all black, no transparency dss and still had the cities visible:

Hide contents

cities-by-night.jpg

Tried to get only lights of the cities shining through - but Kerbin look more like a fly agaric at night :(

Can anyone please let me know what I can do about the visible detaillight.dds in Kerbin's nights and why the detaildark.dds is not covering the same positions/areas as the day city version? Is there something I can change about it or is this a bug?

Edited by Tekener

26 minutes ago, Tekener said:

Can anyone please let me know what I can do about the visible detaillight.dds in Kerbin's nights and why the detaildark.dds is not covering the same positions/areas as the day city version? Is there something I can change about it or is this a bug?

Don't know. Log wouldn't really help in this circumstance... Double checked the shader code, looks fine. Nothing that should cause the light side to show up in the dark. My immediate suspicion would be:

1) Installed incorrectly (anything from using old files to wrong location)

2) Your example may be flawed. Try using 0 alpha instead.

2 minutes ago, JuxuR said:

Should EVE work with RSS? I´ve tried and tried and only get it working with stock. :confused:

You have to use a pack for the new bodies. 

2 hours ago, rbray89 said:

Don't know. Log wouldn't really help in this circumstance... Double checked the shader code, looks fine. Nothing that should cause the light side to show up in the dark. My immediate suspicion would be:

1) Installed incorrectly (anything from using old files to wrong location)

2) Your example may be flawed. Try using 0 alpha instead.

1) No, I did a plain install of KSP 1.1.2 and copying over a 1.1.0 EVE installation done via CKAN to avoid making mistakes by being dumb

2) I tried several dds with various alpha values. I started testing it because the stock delivered night city dds was visible as overlay over the day city dds, which looked strange. So I tried to see what is happening by first changing the night city dds, which worked, but still the day city graphics were visible on the night. And ultimately I made a full black dds with 0 alpha, as I expected it would cover/overlay all the day city images. What you see in the screenshot is the result: daytime stufff is not even fully covered by the night image :(

Edited by Tekener

Tried again:

- KSP Stock 1.1.2
- 1.1-1 EVE files "AnyCPU-Configs-Release.zip" & "AnyCPU-EVE-Release.zip" directly downloaded and unzipped into GameData, so there is only "BoulderCo", "EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements", and "Squad" in it. Nothing else.

Started KSP 32 bit & 64 bit (no difference)

Result: all cities are shown as the day light city images overlaid partly with the night time city images:

cities-by-night-stock1.jpg

cities-by-night-stock2.jpg

cities-by-night-stock3.jpg

Something is broken with the cities, they should be dark with just the lights shining, but currently they kind of glow because the daylight version is used as ground.

Edited by Tekener

Hey rbray! Just wanted to preface this post with a hearty thank you for the hours upon hours of enrichment you've added to my game. I really, really appreciate all you've done for the community!

Now for some dopey questions...

Qf8YZXD.jpg

Is there a way to reduce/minimize the appearance of tiling in clouds? I could have sworn there was a setting I could adjust in previous versions of EvE, but I'm clueless what to change in the reboot.

suLewBC.jpg

Also, and I appreciate this is probably just a limitation of scaling up a bitmap, but is there a way to reduce/minimize the artifacting (as seen in the above image) or pixelation of clouds at low altitudes?

ukYpSeO.jpg

Last but not least-and I'm not even sure if this is an EvE thing or a stock KSP "issue"-I've noticed what appears to be "z-fighting" between the terrain and shoreline at various altitudes. Ideally, and perhaps unrelated, I'd like to soften the transition to make the contrast less pronounced. Regardless of that however, there is a "shimmer" where it would appear the game client is trying to resolve the shape of bodies of water. Kinda hard to demonstrate with a still image, but I'm wondering if it's possibly related to the city textures?

6 minutes ago, Jethro Bodine said:

Hey rbray! Just wanted to preface this post with a hearty thank you for the hours upon hours of enrichment you've added to my game. I really, really appreciate all you've done for the community!

Now for some dopey questions...

Is there a way to reduce/minimize the appearance of tiling in clouds? I could have sworn there was a setting I could adjust in previous versions of EvE, but I'm clueless what to change in the reboot.

Also, and I appreciate this is probably just a limitation of scaling up a bitmap, but is there a way to reduce/minimize the artifacting (as seen in the above image) or pixelation of clouds at low altitude. Last but not least-and I'm not even sure if this is an EvE thing or a stock KSP "issue"-I've noticed what appears to be "z-fighting" between the terrain and shoreline at various altitudes. Ideally, and perhaps unrelated, I'd like to soften the transition to make the contrast less pronounced. Regardless of that however, there is a "shimmer" where it would appear the game client is trying to resolve the shape of bodies of water. Kinda hard to demonstrate with a still image, but I'm wondering if it's possibly related to the city textures?

I'd recommend looking for visual packs for better textures. Those I have were quickly assembled and are less than ideal. They also usually address your tiling concerns as well. I'm more focused on enabling cool features and I have little to no artistic ability :)

As for the coast, there isn't much that can be done I'm afraid. It is a stock issue completely unrelated to EVE.

29 minutes ago, Jethro Bodine said:

You're too modest, Rbray.. but thank you for your quick reply! :) I'm guessing the cube mapping textures are what I'd be looking for in higher resolution? 

Exactly. 

10 hours ago, Poodmund said:

I test volumetric clouds on Minmus too! :D It helps to be able to test how things look around a body with no atmosphere as you can easily orbit at altitudes the cloud layers at situated at. Its a good way to test how it'd look on other bodies

Would really like to see some of visuals of those tests. :D

After having been to Tekto in previous version of KSP and OPM with your wonderful OPM Visual Overhaul and now waiting for the current version of KSP to become more stable I am playing with Cloud banks over the flats of Minmus to make things more difficult there, but I am definitely no artist or programmer like you or rbray89 or any of the other modders for this game.