[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

Hey @rbray89 I'm having an issue where my city light textures are showing up double time. From what I can tell, it seems that the detail texture for the night and day cities are being shown both on the ground of kerbin as well as a couple hundred meters off the ground in mid air from where the texture is on the ground. I've tried redoing the city light config from scratch using the GUI and writing it before launching with no luck. This is running the latest development version.

kFNEJAK.pngSqoZ5WY.png

The light detail texture is easier to see, I wasn't able to get a good picture of the night but you can still see how blurry it looks. I've tried it without Scatterer and it still persists. Here's my logs to look at if need be.

KSP.log

output_log.txt

Let me know if you need anything else.

It happended once for me too, but since then never again.

However the cities are definitly bugged as the night and day images are shown at the same time in Kerbins nights, so the cities glow in the dark due to the light image. I reported that some days ago but it seemed to got lost/overread. Sometimes the cities also appear (as you mentioned) in the air or even on Minmus - also mentioned earlier in this thread from other people.

Unfortunately it seems the bugged cities are getting forgotten with all the cool and nice additions we're fortune to see in EVE.

Okay, so I've looked at the code and kludged in UV perturbation to cubeMap.cginc:

inline float2 GetCubeUV(float3 cubeVect, float2 uvOffset, sampler2D noise)
{
    float2 uv;
    uv.x = .5 + (INV_2PI*atan2(cubeVect.x, cubeVect.z));
    uv.y = INV_PI*acos(cubeVect.y);
    uv += uvOffset;
    float2 uvd = fmod(uv,0.01)/0.01;
    uv += (tex2D(noise,uvd)-float2(0.5,0.5))*0.002+_Time*0.001;
    return uv;
}

Of course, the 0.01 (fraction of the UV used for perturbation) and the 0.002 (amount of perturbation) need to be parameters, and I've just passed an interesting noise texture in to this one function - I didn't understand the multicompile stuff. The _Time things is just for fun - see the video further below. Also, the settings on the shader are probably a bit far from standard - I didn't set up a build environment for EVE, I just copied the shader stuff into my Unity setup.

Now, with the time animation:

Ignore the lines on some of the quad edges, that's some bug with my geometry. Also ignore the planet behind - no, that's not Kerbin, it's something else I'm working on (you can see I'm experimenting with perturbed UVs on the land too - a bit too "cloudy" currently, but interesting study).

Edit: actually, the lines resulted from having mipmaps turned on for the noise texture. Understanding why is well beyond my CG skills, but suffice to say, turning them off made the lines go away.

Edit2: the noise texture is:

MTP1JBR.png

(wow, imgur didn't destory it!)

Edited by Waz

2 hours ago, Waz said:

Okay, so I've looked at the code and kludged in UV perturbation to cubeMap.cginc:

inline float2 GetCubeUV(float3 cubeVect, float2 uvOffset, sampler2D noise)
{
    float2 uv;
    uv.x = .5 + (INV_2PI*atan2(cubeVect.x, cubeVect.z));
    uv.y = INV_PI*acos(cubeVect.y);
    uv += uvOffset;
    float2 uvd = fmod(uv,0.01)/0.01;
    uv += (tex2D(noise,uvd)-float2(0.5,0.5))*0.002+_Time*0.001;
    return uv;
}

Of course, the 0.01 (fraction of the UV used for perturbation) and the 0.002 (amount of perturbation) need to be parameters, and I've just passed an interesting noise texture in to this one function - I didn't understand the multicompile stuff; if you want the noise texture, let me know. The _Time things is just for fun - see the video further below. Also, the settings on the shader are probably a bit far from standard - I didn't set up a build environment for EVE, I just copied the shader stuff into my Unity setup.

Now, with the time animation:

Ignore the lines on some of the quad edges, that's some bug with my geometry. Also ignore the planet behind - no, that's not Kerbin, it's something else I'm working on (you can see I'm experimenting with perturbed UVs on the land too - a bit too "cloudy" currently, but interesting study).

Edit: actually, the lines resulted from having mipmaps turned on for the noise texture. Understanding why is well beyond my CG skills, but suffice to say, turning them off made the lines go away.

This is crazy awesome man! I'm with Proot on this being revolutionary if it's implemented. Awesome find/work!

@Waz & @rbray89, there is a really good paper here: https://www.cs.ubc.ca/~rbridson/docs/bridson-siggraph2007-curlnoise.pdf about Curling Noise for Procedural Flow simulations that may inspire or help when it comes down to any work that you may be looking to invest time into. The basis could definitely be used to simulate vertex warping of a texture applied to a mesh to create a procedurally dynamic appearance but I fear it may be incredibly taxing on the processor to be running constantly.

Anyway, just food for thought.

On May 10, 2016 at 5:31 PM, GarrisonChisholm said:

Good afternoon.  I just have a simple question, as I have started using CKAN but note that EVE does not seem to be included.  Is this just because of the 1.1.2 update, or is EVE not hosted-on/accessible-via CKAN?

A quick look at the OP/front page will tell you what version the mod is updated to. EVE doesn't show up on CKAN because it's not updated to the latest version of KSP. Cheers!

it does show up on CKAN if you're still using KSP 1.1.0 :wink:, since that's the last version of KSP it's been released for.

(Now just waiting anxiously for a release compatible w/1.1.2 before upgrading...)

2 hours ago, OldLost said:

it does show up on CKAN if you're still using KSP 1.1.0 :wink:, since that's the last version of KSP it's been released for.

(Now just waiting anxiously for a release compatible w/1.1.2 before upgrading...)

The SVE on CKAN currently includes a working build of EVE, to hold you over.

Actual Eve is desing to work for 1.1.2 not for 1.0.5 with is not anymore compatible soo if you try to use last eve + 1.0.5 bad luck

& like secondary question way do you play in 1.0.5 when 1.1.2 is fully functional & way much better ?

1 minute ago, Blacks said:

Actual Eve is desing to work for 1.1.2 not for 1.0.5 with is not anymore compatible soo if you try to use last eve + 1.0.5 bad luck

& like secondary question way do you play in 1.0.5 when 1.1.2 is fully functional & way much better ?

I mean that i was able to get it to work on ksp 1.0.5 but cant get it to work on ksp 1.1.2

Why is the new version still flagged for KSP 1.1.0 and not 1.1.2?

And could anyone tell me how to get more clouds on Kerbin? In the old version I used ALPHAMAP_A for more clouds, but this setting does not exists for Kerbin in the new version :(

Edited by Tekener

1 hour ago, Tekener said:

And could anyone tell me how to get more clouds on Kerbin? In the old version I used ALPHAMAP_A for more clouds, but this setting does not exists for Kerbin in the new version :(

I'd like a tutorial of editing clouds. I don't have a clue what I'm doing lol

@rbray89 There is still something very odd with the cities - could you please fix it?

In the new version both images (detaillight and detaildark) are always shown, no matter if night or day on Kerbin. During daytime the streets are glowing in bright white and during nighttime the normally dark parts of the cities are glowing everywhere.

During the day only the detaillight image should be shown while during night only the detaildark image should be visible - not both at the same time.

Cities with streetlights (detaildark) showing during daytime:day_cities_with_lights.jpg

Cities glowing in the night (detaillight) during nighttime (even brighter than clouds):
night_cities_with_day.jpg

Cities as they should look like in the night from space - only roads/lights are partly visible:
night_cities_should_be.jpg
I did this by replacing the detaillight.dds with an "all black" dds.

Would be really nice if this could be fixed.

Thanks so much for all your efforts!

Edited by Tekener

On 5/9/2016 at 11:28 AM, rbray89 said:

Synchronizing different heights is hard, as the speed is not rotationally based, it is based off of speed at cloud level. eg. couds moving at the "same speed" at different heights wouldn't be synchronized. I'd have to edit things in code for this to be feasable. 

Hmmm. That's exactly what I was hoping to do with the multi-layered alpha cube I just made. I had a highest elevation cloud layer moving slightly faster and low to high elevation clouds that were supposed to be stacked but they don't rotate in sync.

@Tekener try get this: https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/blob/master/AnyCPU-EVE-Release.zip

See how it works

Update for @Tekener:
It is something bad with mixing texture during Night time, like it will appear bought texture light day + night day mix, 3 picture bellow all done during night orbit, first 2 are made brighter using Ambient light to can see better but they suppose to be dark like last one i make special on diferite altitude 80, 90, 100, Test done using SVE with out modifie anything

Spoiler

RCFrY3E.png
8d2Aw23.png
R8jdjux.png

During Daylight orbit is ok (Ambient light set to 0) see print screan bellow
MZZI4VM.png

Eve Version

Spoiler

Atmosphere v1.5.5977.42514 / v1.0.0.0
CelestialShadows v1.5.5977.42514 / v1.0.0.0
CityLights v1.5.5977.42514 / v1.0.0.0
EVEManager v1.5.5977.42513 / v1.0.0.0
Terrain v1.5.5977.42514 / v1.0.0.0

Edited by Blacks

9 hours ago, Sulaiman said:

It doesn't work. i had it before on KSP 1.0.5 but i cant get it to work, Do i need BoulderCO?

Yes, the BoulderCo download includes all of the configs and textures that E.V.E uses.