[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

On May 9, 2016 at 10:11 AM, rbray89 said:

This is something I'd really like to do, but it is a VERY difficult problem. I've yet to see a planet in ANY game or simulator that makes nice procedural clouds. They seem to use perlin noise exclusively.

Sorry I was on a business trip. I'm referring to creating procedural cloud cover cub maps. This way far above a planet with time warp you could see a changing weather pattern. This could be even linked with the weather mod. Here is a link to a excellent paper about modeling this with Navier-Stokes equation in a game context : http://www.dgp.toronto.edu/people/stam/reality/Research/pdf/GDC03.pdf

Hi rbray89

Looking at your most recent changes I have a few questions. The biggest change I see is the introduction of CubeMap (RGB2_CubeMap) which from the reading of the code appears to be cube map composed of just 2 textures labeled positive and negative. Looking at the image files I see the RGB channels all being used. From this I gather that this new CubeMap is all 6 sides compression into 2 textures. If that is the case then which channels map to X,Y and Z? 

2 hours ago, Blacks said:

@Tekener try get this: https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/blob/master/AnyCPU-EVE-Release.zip

See how it works

Update for @Tekener:
It is something bad with mixing texture during Night time, like it will appear bought texture light day + night day mix, 3 picture bellow all done during night orbit, first 2 are made brighter using Ambient light to can see better but they suppose to be dark like last one i make special on diferite altitude 80, 90, 100, Test done using SVE with out modifie anything

Reveal hidden contents

RCFrY3E.png
8d2Aw23.png
R8jdjux.png

During Daylight orbit is ok (Ambient light set to 0) see print screan bellow
MZZI4VM.png

Eve Version

Reveal hidden contents

Atmosphere v1.5.5977.42514 / v1.0.0.0
CelestialShadows v1.5.5977.42514 / v1.0.0.0
CityLights v1.5.5977.42514 / v1.0.0.0
EVEManager v1.5.5977.42513 / v1.0.0.0
Terrain v1.5.5977.42514 / v1.0.0.0

Thanks, Blacks, for looking into this! I tried the fix from the link you provided, but nothing changed - of course. These are the same files as in EVE-1.1-2-1, which I used.

I'll try SVE now as your screens look still much better than the fly agaric like cities I see currently by night ... 

Hey guys. Love the mod and was so excited after finding this old thread that it had been recently updated. Only thing is I've mostly just clicked checkboxes in CKAN for installing mods and since it's not listed for me I just had a question about installing it. I know it's probably a stupid question but some quick insight would be greatly appreciated.

I found the BoulderCo and EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements folders in two of the .zip's within the downloaded .zip and put them in the GameData folder. But there's a lot of other folders in EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-EVE-1.1-2. Do I just put that whole thing in GameData in addition to also putting BoulderCo and EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements in there?

Because the OP said to put contents of the .zip's in the install folder. My download only contained one .zip with a folder in it called EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-EVE-1.1-2. Basically I have BoulderCo and EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements in GameData and am just wondering what to do with EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-EVE-1.1-2 that has a bunch of other stuff in it.

34 minutes ago, frankcastle said:

@Detroit12 There should be two folders in your GameData.BoulderCo and Eve.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I think that part I did right, I found those folders in the AnyCPU-EVE-Release and AnyCPU-Configs-Release .zip's. But I thought I was missing a step, all this other stuff in EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-EVE-1.1-2 doesn't go anywhere?  http://imgur.com/9A9Pma0

Edited by Detroit12

I've got the source files set up and building (BTW, did you mean to include the output ZIPs in the source zip?). I tried to clone the git repo but it was talking ages (lots of huge files in the history?), so I hope an ugly old diff will suffice.

@rbray89 I installed the update for 1.1.2 and configs and then I went to turn on the clouds but I can't seem to find the AlphaMap A option that you told me about anywhere in the configuration (except on CityLights).

Logs

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out!

p4s4teV.png

Edited by Alshain

1 hour ago, Detroit12 said:

I've mostly just clicked checkboxes in CKAN for installing mods and since it's not listed for me I just had a question about installing it.

It should be on CKAN - it was updated yesterday, so maybe you just need to Refresh in CKAN. Note that the current one isn't compatible with SVE since that mod is shipping it's own copy; hopefully SVE will also update soon to not include the EVE files; for now it's one or the other. Be sure to also select the config files (it's good that these are now separate - soon EVE and SVE will live together very nicely indeed).

I'm all good with building now, except for actually compiling the shaders - the current build process seems to use cgbuild, which as I understand is the old thing from Unity 4.4. Is that still what we're supposed to use?

Edit: I've loaded the shaders into Unity 5 and used "Compile and show code" after turning on "All Platforms". That seems to generate the compiled shaders for me to then save.

Edited by Waz

1 hour ago, Waz said:

It should be on CKAN - it was updated yesterday, so maybe you just need to Refresh in CKAN. Note that the current one isn't compatible with SVE since that mod is shipping it's own copy; hopefully SVE will also update soon to not include the EVE files; for now it's one or the other. Be sure to also select the config files (it's good that these are now separate - soon EVE and SVE will live together very nicely indeed).

I refreshed but still don't see it. It's listed when I filter by 'All', but I can't select it.

I think I should be good though. Got BoulderCo and EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements in GameData, can see clouds and city lights now. Just was confused about all the other folders in the download, thought I was missing a step.

I remember a lot more clouds when using this mod on an older version. I think it was this one. How do you increase cloud-density?

1 hour ago, jebalicious said:

Sorry Rbrayor anyone else that can help.  What part of EVE do I install to my Gamedata folder? url]

http://postimg.org/image/925s9zg4x/

BoulderCo and  EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements from the AnyCPU-EVE-Release and AnyCPU-Configs-Release seems to have worked for me.

21 minutes ago, Detroit12 said:

I refreshed but still don't see it. It's listed when I filter by 'All', but I can't select it.

Are you running KSP 1.1.1 or 1.1.2? What does CKAN say is the "Max KSP Version"?

57 minutes ago, Waz said:

Are you running KSP 1.1.1 or 1.1.2? What does CKAN say is the "Max KSP Version"?

I'm running 1.1.2, and for EVE's Max KSP Version CKAN says "1.1.0 (using mod version 2:EVE-1.1-2-1). 

First iteration is done (the clouds *are* animated, but only at a realistic speed - i.e. subtle):

Before submitting a patch, there are some things I still don't understand to do it correctly:

1. There are 4 different cube mapping functions - which ones are used in which cases? (currently I've only implemented and tested the one that appears to be used at Kerbin) Thanks @Poodmund ! 
  2. How big is the git repo? Should I try again to clone it and send a pull request, or is a patch generated from the source code fine?
  3. Compiling shaders: is the in-Unity function I used right, or do I need to get CgBuild?
  4. Any interest in enabling this for City Lights (not animated of course, and I'd probably need to make a more effective noise texture)? The EVE ones are pretty pixelized, but the SVE ones don't look like they'd benefit (though the clouds would).
  5. Is there any in-game way to reload the EVE configs? It's really slow to tweak configs with a restart cycle. How did I not find out about Alt-0? 
Edited by Waz

@Waz, for the Main Textures the following applies:

RGBA - Applies image in Equirectangular format to body in a 2x Width, 1x Height ratio.

CubeMap - Applies images specified in the TextureManager config to their specified cube faces in RGBA.

Alpha Map - Applies image in Equirectangular format to body in a 2x Width, 1x Height ratio but can specify to only apply either the R, G, B or A channels as a grey scale alpha mask.

Alpha Cube Map - Applies images specified in the TextureManager config to their specified cube faces but can specify to only apply either the R, G, B or A channels as a grey scale alpha mask.

TexCube6 - Allows for the application of a 6, 4 channel textures that can be assigned to all 6 individual cube faces.

TexCube2 - Allows for the application of 2, 4 channels textures that can use 3 channels of the 2 textures to apply to the 3-Positive and 3-Negative cube faces respectively.

Does that help any?

1 hour ago, Sulaiman said:

I still cant get it to work :(

It's really simply copy "BoulderCo" and "EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements" to "GameData" - that's all.

But best would be to use CKAn if you can't get it to work. It's available there for KSP 1.1.2

On 11.5.2016 at 1:33 AM, Nhawks17 said:

Hey @rbray89 I'm having an issue where my city light textures are showing up double time. From what I can tell, it seems that the detail texture for the night and day cities are being shown both on the ground of kerbin as well as a couple hundred meters off the ground in mid air from where the texture is on the ground. I've tried redoing the city light config from scratch using the GUI and writing it before launching with no luck. This is running the latest development version.

kFNEJAK.pngSqoZ5WY.png

The light detail texture is easier to see, I wasn't able to get a good picture of the night but you can still see how blurry it looks. I've tried it without Scatterer and it still persists. Here's my logs to look at if need be.

KSP.log

output_log.txt

Let me know if you need anything else.

Confirming it is still an issue when flying over Kerbin's day/night terminator.

I tried the latest EVE (1.1-2-1) stand alone, SVE (0.6.5) stand alone, as well as SVE using the latest EVE shaders.

Result is always the same: cities are still bugged and drawn double:

double_cities.jpg

15 hours ago, Alshain said:

@rbray89 I installed the update for 1.1.2 and configs and then I went to turn on the clouds but I can't seem to find the AlphaMap A option that you told me about anywhere in the configuration (except on CityLights).

Logs

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out!

????   So what did you figure out?  I cannot find where to set "Alphamap_A" in the config file.  I am looking at "clouds.cfg" in the "atmosphere" directory.

Thanks!

TB2

Edited by TBryson2

22 hours ago, jsimmons said:

Hi rbray89

Looking at your most recent changes I have a few questions. The biggest change I see is the introduction of CubeMap (RGB2_CubeMap) which from the reading of the code appears to be cube map composed of just 2 textures labeled positive and negative. Looking at the image files I see the RGB channels all being used. From this I gather that this new CubeMap is all 6 sides compression into 2 textures. If that is the case then which channels map to X,Y and Z? 

RGB=XYZ in that order :) one set is for + the other for -.

15 hours ago, Waz said:

I've got the source files set up and building (BTW, did you mean to include the output ZIPs in the source zip?). I tried to clone the git repo but it was talking ages (lots of huge files in the history?), so I hope an ugly old diff will suffice.

Yeah, this was to try to provide a way to supply the dev builds without publishing a new release all the time. I really didn't want to add the build products to source, but there wasn't any other good way of doing this.

13 hours ago, Waz said:

I'm all good with building now, except for actually compiling the shaders - the current build process seems to use cgbuild, which as I understand is the old thing from Unity 4.4. Is that still what we're supposed to use?

Edit: I've loaded the shaders into Unity 5 and used "Compile and show code" after turning on "All Platforms". That seems to generate the compiled shaders for me to then save.

The current build process is to use the Unity 5 compiler. Unfortunately they removed cgbuild in Unity 5. Hoping to find a better build process for Unity going forward.

10 hours ago, Waz said:

First iteration is done (the clouds *are* animated, but only at a realistic speed - i.e. subtle)

Before submitting a patch, there are some things I still don't understand to do it correctly:

1. There are 4 different cube mapping functions - which ones are used in which cases? (currently I've only implemented and tested the one that appears to be used at Kerbin) Thanks @Poodmund ! 
  2. How big is the git repo? Should I try again to clone it and send a pull request, or is a patch generated from the source code fine?
  3. Compiling shaders: is the in-Unity function I used right, or do I need to get CgBuild?
  4. Any interest in enabling this for City Lights (not animated of course, and I'd probably need to make a more effective noise texture)? The EVE ones are pretty pixelized, but the SVE ones don't look like they'd benefit (though the clouds would).
  5. Is there any in-game way to reload the EVE configs? It's really slow to tweak configs with a restart cycle. How did I not find out about Alt-0? 

See above. I think I'm going to get rid of the interim builds in the repo to make it easier to push/pull/clone.

2 hours ago, Tekener said:

Confirming it is still an issue when flying over Kerbin's day/night terminator.

I tried the latest EVE (1.1-2-1) stand alone, SVE (0.6.5) stand alone, as well as SVE using the latest EVE shaders.

Result is always the same: cities are still bugged and drawn double:

I think I know where this is coming from now... The PQS texture isn't fading out... I think this is an easy fix.