[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

16 hours ago, Sulaiman said:

I still cant get it to work :(

I think there is something odd happening. If I install only EVE and it's default configs, it works, but the clouds disappear if you try to Apply them in the Manager, with this error in the logs:

CloudsManager: Removing 2D clouds...
(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)

NullReferenceException
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Behaviour:set_enabled (bool)
  at Atmosphere.CloudsPQS.set_enabled (Boolean value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Atmosphere.CloudsPQS.Remove () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Atmosphere.CloudsObject.Remove () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Atmosphere.CloudsManager.Clean () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EVEManager.EVEManagerBase.Apply () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EVEManager.GenericEVEManager`1[T].DrawConfigManagement (Rect placementBase, UnityEngine.Rect& placement) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EVEManager.GenericEVEManager`1[T].DrawGUI (Rect placementBase, Rect placement) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EVEManager.GlobalEVEManager.DrawMainWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

With a very few more mods installed, it doesn't work - no clouds appear, even at the title screen. However, there is nothing obvious in the logs.

Add a few more mods, and everything works fine, including the Alt-0 Manager. I could find no obvious pattern as to which mods, so it might be an ordering problem or something. Sorry, I would have looked deeper, but I really wanted a working low-mods setup from which I could tweak configs and code for the UV noise without too long a cycle time. The mods I had installed when it was all working fine were: Kopernicus, OPM, Sigma Binary, Texture Replacer, Module Manager, QuickStart, and SmokeScreen; removing even SmokeScreen caused the no-clouds problem.

Edited by Waz

Hey everybody, I really like the mod but somehow the planet "Eve" is just a purple ball with no atmosphere or clouds at all (not like in the video). I could of course just delete the texture file entirely but then again I'd like to make it look like in the video. I've tried to change several options in the Clouds menu but that doesn't seem to change a thing. Isn't there a way to make it look at least a bit less dense so that one can actually see some atmospheric movement also because it doesn't really look nice to have a purple ball with no details. It's also quite hard to find a landing spot like this. Any suggestions and ideas would be most welcome!

Edited by BigBA

7 hours ago, Waz said:

I think there is something odd happening. If I install only EVE and it's default configs, it works, but the clouds disappear if you try to Apply them in the Manager, with this error in the logs:

CloudsManager: Removing 2D clouds...
(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)

NullReferenceException
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Behaviour:set_enabled (bool)
  at Atmosphere.CloudsPQS.set_enabled (Boolean value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Atmosphere.CloudsPQS.Remove () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Atmosphere.CloudsObject.Remove () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Atmosphere.CloudsManager.Clean () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EVEManager.EVEManagerBase.Apply () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EVEManager.GenericEVEManager`1[T].DrawConfigManagement (Rect placementBase, UnityEngine.Rect& placement) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EVEManager.GenericEVEManager`1[T].DrawGUI (Rect placementBase, Rect placement) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EVEManager.GlobalEVEManager.DrawMainWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

With a very few more mods installed, it doesn't work - no clouds appear, even at the title screen. However, there is nothing obvious in the logs.

Add a few more mods, and everything works fine, including the Alt-0 Manager. I could find no obvious pattern as to which mods, so it might be an ordering problem or something. Sorry, I would have looked deeper, but I really wanted a working low-mods setup from which I could tweak configs and code for the UV noise without too long a cycle time. The mods I had installed when it was all working fine were: Kopernicus, OPM, Sigma Binary, Texture Replacer, Module Manager, QuickStart, and SmokeScreen; removing even SmokeScreen caused the no-clouds problem.

That is odd... One thing you can try is using the "Debug" build instead of the "Release" build. I setup pre/post build commands for the different projects. _BuildManager should create the .mdb files using the mono pdm2mdb util. Then substitute the KSP.exe file with the Unity dev build runtime: 

Not sure why other mods would affect this, but this is likely a small order issue with the Remove function. 

So I've brought in the changes from the amazing @Waz into the mainline. You can get the new clouds here:
https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/releases/tag/PRE-1.1-3

I'd like some feedback before they get merged into the standard release.

47 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

So I've brought in the changes from the amazing @Waz into the mainline. You can get the new clouds here:

https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/releases/tag/PRE-1.1-3

Oh my, oh my!

I'm like a kid in Xmas! :kiss: Thank you!

Recorded test with: EVE Pre-release + Scatterer to see New Animated Cloud thx to @Waz how they perform

AnyCPU-EVE-Release + AnyCPU-Configs-Release, config was tweak a little add 1 more cloud layer & change few value, Scatterer is default 0246 release

Nothing can describe in word at what lvl of immersion it can goo game now :o
Thx

Have some problems. Always when i look at sea or clouds from low distance game lagging so much. Is there solution? Because mode looks so nice.

Yeah, sea is stock. Version of KSP 1.1.2

Edited by JackFrizy

8 hours ago, rbray89 said:

That is odd... One thing you can try is using the "Debug" build instead of the "Release" build. I setup pre/post build commands for the different projects. _BuildManager should create the .mdb files using the mono pdm2mdb util. Then substitute the KSP.exe file with the Unity dev build runtime: 

False alarm, at least on the bug that produces that log error. Turns out I still had PoodsOPVO installed (just not via CKAN, so I didn't notice). It's probably reasonable that EVE dies when it's given a heap of configs for planets that aren't installed.

Still, it was good to learn that debugging technique - thanks!

I'm getting periodic hitching.  There's a 1/2 second lag about every 30 seconds.  It's minor, but annoying.  I have no idea what's causing it.  Odds are its not this mod, since I have many others installed, but I thought I'd ask anyways if anyone knows of an issue with eve that might cause hitching.

14 minutes ago, Brucey said:

I'm getting periodic hitching.  There's a 1/2 second lag about every 30 seconds.  It's minor, but annoying.  I have no idea what's causing it.  Odds are its not this mod, since I have many others installed, but I thought I'd ask anyways if anyone knows of an issue with eve that might cause hitching.

that sounds like the garbage collection process

9 hours ago, rbray89 said:

What needs to be done on our (Proot, Pingopete, and myself) end to take advantage of these new features? 

1 hour ago, Nhawks17 said:

What needs to be done on our (Proot, Pingopete, and myself) end to take advantage of these new features? 

Start by setting _UVNoiseTex - otherwise it's a black do-nothing default (but still computes, sorry, no optimization fallback). The BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/uvnoise1 should suffice for most cloudy clouds - it even seems to look good for animating gas giants (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9iW0GahFzE).

Then just tweak the values from the EVE Manager until you like it.

I've set the default _UVNoiseAnimation quite low - "realistic". Also note that the animation is based on Time.time (so only physics warp), not Planetarium.GetUniversalTime() (and I suspect if would look really bad if sped up too much).

More thoroughly, from the patch:

The new properties of the EVE_CLOUDS object items are:

_UVNoiseTex - a UV displacement texture using RG channels.
_UVNoiseScale - the size of the fractional part of the UV coord used for indexing the noise texture. Should be 1/W where W is a whole number to avoid edge stitching problems.
_UVNoiseStrength - the amount of displacement. Should generally be less than _UVNoiseScale.
_UVNoiseAnimation - offset multiplier for _Time allowing subtle animation of the noise by traversing the noise texture.

clouds.cfg is tweaked to make the most of the new options.

City Lights do not use the feature, but they could be changed to (without animation of course, and probably with a different noise texture).

The _DetailTex can generally be scaled to appear larger (smaller _DetailScale config value) as it is no longer needed for obscuring pixelization.

One thing I've noticed with SVE is that in the past I've always need to remove BoulderCo/ otherwise I get both styles of CityLights; hopefully there is a way to share uvnoise1.dds between mods.

I made uvnoise1.dds using Substance Designer, so if you have that, I can send you the source (or commit it to the eve repo).

2 minutes ago, Waz said:

Start by setting _UVNoiseTex - otherwise it's a black do-nothing default (but still computes, sorry, no optimization fallback). The BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/uvnoise1 should suffice for most cloudy clouds - it even seems to look good for animating gas giants (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9iW0GahFzE).

Then just tweak the values from the EVE Manager until you like it.

I've set the default _UVNoiseAnimation quite low - "realistic". Also note that the animation is based on Time.time (so only physics warp), not Planetarium.GetUniversalTime() (and I suspect if would look really bad if sped up too much).

More thoroughly, from the patch:

The new properties of the EVE_CLOUDS object items are:

_UVNoiseTex - a UV displacement texture using RG channels.
_UVNoiseScale - the size of the fractional part of the UV coord used for indexing the noise texture. Should be 1/W where W is a whole number to avoid edge stitching problems.
_UVNoiseStrength - the amount of displacement. Should generally be less than _UVNoiseScale.
_UVNoiseAnimation - offset multiplier for _Time allowing subtle animation of the noise by traversing the noise texture.

clouds.cfg is tweaked to make the most of the new options.

City Lights do not use the feature, but they could be changed to (without animation of course, and probably with a different noise texture).

The _DetailTex can generally be scaled to appear larger (smaller _DetailScale config value) as it is no longer needed for obscuring pixelization.

One thing I've noticed with SVE is that in the past I've always need to remove BoulderCo/ otherwise I get both styles of CityLights; hopefully there is a way to share uvnoise1.dds between mods.

I made uvnoise1.dds using Substance Designer, so if you have that, I can send you the source (or commit it to the eve repo).

Well the BoulderCo/ folder shouldn't be included at all when you have SVE installed as it conflicts config wise. But given the licensing of this mod I should be able to include the uvnoise1 texture directly in the SVE files. @rbray89 can correct me on that if I am wrong :D

19 hours ago, Blacks said:

Recorded test with: EVE Pre-release + Scatterer to see New Animated Cloud thx to @Waz how they perform

Now I have admission: I never even tested from the ground!

11 hours ago, Nhawks17 said:

Well the BoulderCo/ folder shouldn't be included at all when you have SVE installed as it conflicts config wise. But given the licensing of this mod I should be able to include the uvnoise1 texture directly in the SVE files. @rbray89 can correct me on that if I am wrong :D

I guess the uvnoise1 is small enough that a bit of duplication doesn't really matter. SVE is actually what made me think about using this for EVE: the fact that even with the high resolution textures I could still see pixels was just like my nebula code problem, so I'm keen to see what difference it makes.

4 hours ago, Waz said:

I guess the uvnoise1 is small enough that a bit of duplication doesn't really matter. SVE is actually what made me think about using this for EVE: the fact that even with the high resolution textures I could still see pixels was just like my nebula code problem, so I'm keen to see what difference it makes.

Yeah, I didn't have time to include it in the most recent release last night but I plan on working with it soon and seeing what I can do with it :D 

So, I haven't seen this mentioned in the last few pages of the thread or in the known issues, so here is my problem:

Moons seem to turn their entire texture black/invisible if they are eclipsed by their parent body. (see screenshot of Ike being only half visible in the second spoiler below) This already happened to me on the Mun and Minmus before( see video in the first spoiler tag for it happening in orbit around Mun) I first thought it was another mod, but after testing today it turns out the bug disappears if I remove EVE. SO somehow this mod seems to be doing this. Anyone else have this problem, and are there any solutions?

This is happening on the latest EVE release, as well as the pre-release, on KSP 1.1.2

Spoiler

Spoiler

c80a382e97.jpg

Edited by WWEdeadman

14 minutes ago, WWEdeadman said:

So, I haven't seen this mentioned in the last few pages of the thread or in the known issues, so here is my problem:

Moons seem to turn their entire texture black/invisible if they are eclipsed by their parent body. (see screenshot of Ike being only half visible in the second spoiler below) This already happened to me on the Mun and Minmus before( see video in the first spoiler tag for it happening in orbit around Mun) I first thought it was another mod, but after testing today it turns out the bug disappears if I remove EVE. SO somehow this mod seems to be doing this. Anyone else have this problem, and are there any solutions?

This is happening on the latest EVE release, as well as the pre-release, on KSP 1.1.2

Hide contents

Hide contents

c80a382e97.jpg

This is actually a "feature". Eclipses and planetary shadow now work properly. It does mean that the realistic lighting I implement clashes a bit with the stock lighting model (that adds ambient light and whatnot).

So, where can a guy find some documentation for the EVE_CLOUDS config?

Specifically, I'm looking for a way to stop volumetric particles from spawning with a random rotation. It seems that "rotationSpeed = 0.0" stops them from spinning slowly, but I also want them to all face the same way in the first place. Is that a thing that can be done?

On 5/16/2016 at 10:45 AM, Blacks said:

AnyCPU-EVE-Release + AnyCPU-Configs-Release, config was tweak a little add 1 more cloud layer & change few value, Scatterer is default 0246 release

Nothing can describe in word at what lvl of immersion it can goo game now :o
Thx

It looks amazing, but that framerate... Is that what we should expect even on moderately powerful graphics cards?  Do these mods hit the CPU like high part counts do, or is it on the GPU?

45 minutes ago, Rhedd said:

So, where can a guy find some documentation for the EVE_CLOUDS config?

Specifically, I'm looking for a way to stop volumetric particles from spawning with a random rotation. It seems that "rotationSpeed = 0.0" stops them from spinning slowly, but I also want them to all face the same way in the first place. Is that a thing that can be done?

I don't know why in the world you'd want to do that... It would look pretty terrible... but you'd want to do that you'd want to change noiseScale to very small values. I think it should work if you make them 0.

13 minutes ago, tsaven said:

It looks amazing, but that framerate... Is that what we should expect even on moderately powerful graphics cards?  Do these mods hit the CPU like high part counts do, or is it on the GPU?

All GPU.

16 minutes ago, tsaven said:

In this case frame rate is affect by GPU what can't handle impact what visual mods they bring, on bottom of screen on my record you see a real time capture value of CPU, Ram global one (is OBS overlay add), on left screen you can see real time value bring by GCMonitor mod. In KSP case thing are a little much more complicate but i will keep my mouth close, short story Stronger Rig you have all will work fine, in my case my 650 GTX that's what can do & sorry for pour that low FPS, but i work with what i have :) C'est la vie

Edited by Blacks

5 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

I don't know why in the world you'd want to do that... It would look pretty terrible... but you'd want to do that you'd want to change noiseScale to very small values. I think it should work if you make them 0.

:D Yep, it definitely would, normally. I'm playing with making it rain. I'd be nice if all the rain went mostly in the same direction. Thanks for the info, I'll try that and see how it looks!

So, no documentation anywhere?

Also, are there plans to allow for self-illuminated cloud layers soon? I seriously miss auroras and glowing clouds on Laythe.

Edited by Rhedd

@rbray89, first of all thank you for your wonderful mod and all efforts for making KSP so beautiful.

Your work is soooo important, I just can't stress enough...

If there's any guideline or hints how to adapt configs from EVE 7.4 to current version. To be exactly clear, I want to resurrect Better Atmospheres V5 mod with some adjustments.

The only configs for NEW EVE KSP 1.1.2 I know - yours stock, Fwiffo's and SVE. Unfortunately they don't give result I would like.

Better Atmo V5 on 1.0.5 wo Scatterer

Will be grateful for any hints.

Just popping in to just express that for the last 2 weeks, I've been trying to get the hotkey to work for this mod.  Thought I broke it.  Had read over and over its ALT+0 but didnt realize that's a "zero" and not an "oh" until just now.  Cheers everyone,  enjoy that laugh at my expense.

Also, any ideas why the Mun has city lights for me?

Edited by UAL002