[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

11 minutes ago, UAL002 said:

Just popping in to just express that for the last 2 weeks, I've been trying to get the hotkey to work for this mod.  Thought I broke it.  Had read over and over its ALT+0 but didnt realize that's a "zero" and not an "oh" until just now.  Cheers everyone,  enjoy that laugh at my expense.

Also, any ideas why the Mun has city lights for me?

Did you get the latest release? The mun shouldn't have lights on it anymore.

5 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

Did you get the latest release? The mun shouldn't have lights on it anymore.

@rbray89, I am using 1.1-2-1, is this the latest release?

The city lights are still visible on different moons/planets, e.g. Duna with this version.

Hi @rbray89 I have a strange problem with EVE losing a zero or two on the altitude, this is the config before and during the game, it does not change, I am using Linux, I do not know if this makes any difference just thought I would tell you.

Edit: I just saw the update from 2 days ago, I will try that version

Edit 2: Newest version does not seem to make a difference, it actually wiped more zeroes off, it's like every time the game loads another zero is gone

EVE_CLOUDS
{
	OBJECT
	{
		name = Earth-Lowest
		body = Earth
		altitude = 1500

here is what I get when it loads, all the clouds are under 1000m

pTXh3Ti.png

YZ79MwO.png

Edited by selfish_meme

3 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

Hi @rbray89 I have a strange problem with EVE losing a zero or two on the altitude, this is the config before and during the game, it does not change, I am using Linux, I do not know if this makes any difference just thought I would tell you.

Edit: I just saw the update from 2 days ago, I will try that version

Edit 2: Newest version does not seem to make a difference, it actually wiped more zeroes off, it's like every time the game loads another zero is gone

here is what I get when it loads, all the clouds are under 1000m

*SIGH*

Did you read the OP and ignore it or just not read it at all?

I need logs to diagnose things. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/83212-how-to-get-support-read-first/

4 hours ago, rbray89 said:

*SIGH*

Did you read the OP and ignore it or just not read it at all?

I need logs to diagnose things. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/83212-how-to-get-support-read-first/

Very sorry about that, here are the logs and my config

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6gbi4omighqeTF3TEV3WmNlV2c

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6gbi4omighqRTlZcGdiTHU4dmM

11 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

this is an issue with sigma dimensions. it scales down the clouds heights. when playing with SSRSS you have to set all cloud heights higher than normal in the .cfg NOT IN GAME. for example: if Earths default cloud height is 6700, it needs to be set at 67000. that goes for all clouds. once you have everything set the way you want it LEAVE IT ALONE. I would suggest not even touching EVEs GUI again after having it set.

9 minutes ago, Berlin said:

this is an issue with sigma dimensions. it scales down the clouds heights. when playing with SSRSS you have to set all cloud heights higher than normal in the .cfg NOT IN GAME. for example: if Earths default cloud height is 6700, it needs to be set at 67000. that goes for all clouds. once you have everything set the way you want it LEAVE IT ALONE. I would suggest not even touching EVEs GUI again after having it set.

After a long sleep I suspected that it might be Sigma Dimensions, though I didn't see why it would affect EVE

On 17.5.2016 at 6:32 PM, rbray89 said:

This is actually a "feature". Eclipses and planetary shadow now work properly. It does mean that the realistic lighting I implement clashes a bit with the stock lighting model (that adds ambient light and whatnot).

Well, the feature sure has the side effect of the moons not being able to be lit up at all, so it kinda ends up looking like they turned into black holes xD

I hope this ends up being less "let's turn the texture entirely pitch black" in the future.

32 minutes ago, WWEdeadman said:

Well, the feature sure has the side effect of the moons not being able to be lit up at all, so it kinda ends up looking like they turned into black holes xD

I hope this ends up being less "let's turn the texture entirely pitch black" in the future.

Planets without an atmosphere will have a sharp, dark shadow in reality, a moon behind will not be receiving any sunlight (except a bit light from stars, but in realty that's hard do notice from being different than pitch black.

However planets with an atmosphere don't have a sharp shadow, and the thicker the atmospgere, the more light is getting "bend" behind the planet. Ike is turning also pitch black behind Duna, while here it should become red (like Mun/Minmus behind Kerbin). Maybe this can be made better, and the pitch black could be turned to become 95% pitch black, but in gernal: yes, moons become as black as space when not receiveing light from the sun :)

Hello dear sir,i wanted to try the new EVE 1.1-3 and the game crashing instantly when forcing DX11.Forcing DX11 was fine with 1.1-2 and i didn't see anything about not supporting DX11.
output_log:http://pastebin.ca/3604109

Also,if not too much trouble,can you point me to tutorial(tools) how the new RGB particles(textures) are/can be made?
thank you

Edit:I tried with stock(32bit) and EVE only,the game does not crash but everything else is "pink"

Spoiler

YWLEzbf.png?1

output_log:http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=36460940789050910935

With stock and EVE 64bit still crashing
output_log:http://pastebin.ca/3604414

Edited by sebi.zzr

@rbray89 and @Waz... I must confess this: I'm in love with the UVnoise feature. Literally in love.

I just have a little request, if possible: could we have an option to relate the noise animation with the wap time?

Is just the last step to be able to do this.

4 hours ago, Proot said:

@rbray89 and @Waz... I must confess this: I'm in love with the UVnoise feature. Literally in love.

I just have a little request, if possible: could we have an option to relate the noise animation with the wap time?

Is just the last step to be able to do this.

You owe me for my oncological treatment; 90% of comments under that video were from flat-earthers

9 hours ago, m4ti140 said:

You owe me for my oncological treatment; 90% of comments under that video were from flat-earthers

Ha... I saw your reply to one of them before seeing you'd posted here as well; I confirmed the explanation you provided the flat-earther :wink:

EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements and Distant Objects cause city lights appear on surface of Minmus.

I've reproduced it with clean install and latest versions from CKAN. Details and logs in this theme.

1 hour ago, SVlad said:

EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements and Distant Objects cause city lights appear on surface of Minmus.

I've reproduced it with clean install and latest versions from CKAN. Details and logs in this theme.

Hmm, not for me.

1 hour ago, nosirrbro said:

Hmm, not for me.

You mean, you can't reproduce? As I mentioned in description, it appears on second game loading, sometimes on third. And by loading I mean loading a save from main menu, not entire application relaunch. 

1 hour ago, SVlad said:

You mean, you can't reproduce? As I mentioned in description, it appears on second game loading, sometimes on third. And by loading I mean loading a save from main menu, not entire application relaunch. 

Ah, didn't read said description

On 5/19/2016 at 10:02 PM, Tekener said:

Planets without an atmosphere will have a sharp, dark shadow in reality, a moon behind will not be receiving any sunlight (except a bit light from stars, but in realty that's hard do notice from being different than pitch black.

However planets with an atmosphere don't have a sharp shadow, and the thicker the atmospgere, the more light is getting "bend" behind the planet. Ike is turning also pitch black behind Duna, while here it should become red (like Mun/Minmus behind Kerbin). Maybe this can be made better, and the pitch black could be turned to become 95% pitch black, but in gernal: yes, moons become as black as space when not receiveing light from the sun :)

Shadow edge softness is mostly caused by the fact that the sun (in reality, not KSP) is a not a point-light. During a solar eclipse, the partial eclipse area is the soft shadow of the Moon upon the Earth.

Earth's atmosphere is very thin - I doubt it contributes much to the softness of its shadow upon the Moon compared to the much larger effect of the non-pointness of the Sun.

Edited by Waz
typo

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 10:28 AM, sebi.zzr said:

Hello dear sir,i wanted to try the new EVE 1.1-3 and the game crashing instantly when forcing DX11.Forcing DX11 was fine with 1.1-2 and i didn't see anything about not supporting DX11.
output_log:http://pastebin.ca/3604109

Also,if not too much trouble,can you point me to tutorial(tools) how the new RGB particles(textures) are/can be made?
thank you

Edit:I tried with stock(32bit) and EVE only,the game does not crash but everything else is "pink"

Reveal hidden contents

YWLEzbf.png?1

output_log:http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=36460940789050910935

With stock and EVE 64bit still crashing
output_log:http://pastebin.ca/3604414

Im having the same trying DX11 and looking at log, i see it stoping when try to loading oceanback shader

[LOG 22:00:11.268] Loading shader EVE/CloudShadow
[LOG 22:00:11.840] Loading shader EVE/CloudVolumeParticle
[LOG 22:00:11.855] Loading shader EVE/OceanBack

1 hour ago, Waz said:

Shadow edge softness is mostly caused by the fact that the sun (in reality, not KSP) is a not a point-light. During a solar eclipse, the partial eclipse area is the soft shadow of the Moon upon the Earth.

Earth's atmosphere is very thin - I doubt it contributes much to the softness of its shadow upon the Moon compared to the much larger effect of the non-pointness of the Sun.

Oh dear, you're perfectly right. It's of course not only the atmosphere but also the relative size of the object. The Sun and Moon are nearly same sized from Earth, so there is light shining from slightly different angels "around" the object - but the effect lessens the farer away one is.

I honestly wonder how the shadow if Saturn looks like to its moons? Does anybody actually know that? Is Saturn's atmosphere scattering enough light "around", as the effect of sun's size should be negligible? Or do the outer planets' moons experience pitch black eclipses?

Edited by Tekener

40 minutes ago, Leandro Basi said:

Im having the same trying DX11 and looking at log, i see it stoping when try to loading oceanback shader

[LOG 22:00:11.268] Loading shader EVE/CloudShadow
[LOG 22:00:11.840] Loading shader EVE/CloudVolumeParticle
[LOG 22:00:11.855] Loading shader EVE/OceanBack

If this is a problem with the cloud shaders, it could be from how I generated the Compiled shaders in my patch (it that's in 1.1-3), but I selected "all platforms", so I'm not sure what the correct process was (I didn't use CgBuild that the source called for, as I couldn't find it for Unity 5).

29 minutes ago, Tekener said:

Oh dear, you're perfectly right. It's of course not only the atmosphere but also the relative size of the object. The Sun and Moon are nearly same sized from Earth, so there is light shining from slightly different angels "around" the object - but the effect lessens the farer away one is.

I honestly wonder how the shadow if Saturn looks like to its moons? Does anybody actually know that? Is Saturn's atmosphere scattering enough light "around", as the effect of sun's size should be negligible? Or do the outer planets' moons experience pitch black eclipses?

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=7314

Hard to tell because it's composite. I suspect the rings would be providing quite a lot of light. Of course, the Sun is so far away, it would in reality be quite dark.

Edited by Waz
science

1 hour ago, Waz said:

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=7314

Hard to tell because it's composite. I suspect the rings would be providing quite a lot of light. Of course, the Sun is so far away, it would in reality be quite dark.

Well, I guess it's save to expect that still some light will make it to create a rather diffuse shadow.

Seems it's ok to have all bodies in the Kerbol system create a diffuse shadow with a black core shadow in EVE like moons are causing them currently, rather than the hard cut black hole shadows planets do at the moment.