[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

On 19.5.2016 at 2:02 PM, Tekener said:

Planets without an atmosphere will have a sharp, dark shadow in reality, a moon behind will not be receiving any sunlight (except a bit light from stars, but in realty that's hard do notice from being different than pitch black.

However planets with an atmosphere don't have a sharp shadow, and the thicker the atmospgere, the more light is getting "bend" behind the planet. Ike is turning also pitch black behind Duna, while here it should become red (like Mun/Minmus behind Kerbin). Maybe this can be made better, and the pitch black could be turned to become 95% pitch black, but in gernal: yes, moons become as black as space when not receiveing light from the sun :)

By that logic the dark side (currently facing away from the sun) of every moon / atmosphere-less planet would also have to be pitch black, which it isn't in-game thanks to ambient lighting, making the game playable on the night side. I have no problem with the planet/moon turning to night-side dark in an eclipse, in fact that's a great thing to implement, but in terms of gameplay it NEEDS to be still visible. Realism good and well, but having "planet/moon without atmosphere faces away from sun" and "planet/moon without atmosphere gets eclipsed" being different makes no sense.

Also it looks stupid if the eclipse in any way affects the already-night-side, like in the screenshot of Ike I posted. That's not realistic.

And, yeah, theoretically Mun and probably Ike too should turn red in an eclipse, like Moon does IRL. But honestly, that's details that don't need to 100% be replicated in.game for me.

2 hours ago, Andem said:
2 hours ago, Sokar408 said:

A classic question: How do I open the EVE menu.

Alt-0

That is Zero, not an O.

For me, reasons unknown, in the newest version of EVE GUI doesn't working at all. Surprisingly, it worked with previous version. @rbray89, any thoughts?

EDIT: Never mind, everything is ok now. Turns out that I have two EVE folders: one in proper place and the other in different mod folder.

Edited by dawidpotok
problem fixed

Do we have any documentation on the settings?

I've got an annoying drop in framerate when vehicles travel between 100, and 200 km, and then slightly less annoying framerate drops from there to high orbit.  I'm assuming it's the blending area between surface cloud layer visualization, and high orbit visualization, and I'd like to know which command to play with without wrecking things.

In the past i was able to set the config to ALPHAMAP_A and the i get more Clouds. But with the newest realese (from CKAN) there is no effect to get more couds then standard. All other Settings give me a white Snowball.

Anybody knows a solution? Thanks.

Hi guys

I feel daft for having to ask this but behold I am. I always held off installing this until 1.1 was released. Now that we have it I've tried, but I can't get the mod to work. I've tried installing in through CKAN, but then when I start up the 64 bit exe it isn't listed as an installed mod, and clearly isn't running. I've then downloaded the ZIP file from the link in the description, but I'm a tad confused about how I need to install it from that. The zip contains another three zips, one of which contains another two zips, and I've tried different combinations without any luck in having it load. I concede I'm probably being daft here, so please don't jump all over me for asking a dumb question, but can anyone give direction as to what I'm doing wrong? Really keen to get my KSP looking pretty with my RSS/ RO install.

6 hours ago, Chainbullet said:

Where is BoulderCo? I can't see it in the zip download, or within the EVE folder.

EVE comes as two .zip archives on its download page.  EVE itself is "AnyCPU-EVE-Release.zip", which has "GameData/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/" containing the plugin .dll's and the .shader's.  EVE's stock config is "AnyCPU-Configs-Release.zip", which has "GameData/BoulderCo/" containing all the config files.  It's done that way as other VFX mods, like RVE and SVE, use EVE's plugins and shaders but provide their own configs.

5 hours ago, iammr_schuck said:

Hi guys

I feel daft for having to ask this but behold I am. I always held off installing this until 1.1 was released. Now that we have it I've tried, but I can't get the mod to work. I've tried installing in through CKAN, but then when I start up the 64 bit exe it isn't listed as an installed mod, and clearly isn't running. I've then downloaded the ZIP file from the link in the description, but I'm a tad confused about how I need to install it from that. The zip contains another three zips, one of which contains another two zips, and I've tried different combinations without any luck in having it load. I concede I'm probably being daft here, so please don't jump all over me for asking a dumb question, but can anyone give direction as to what I'm doing wrong? Really keen to get my KSP looking pretty with my RSS/ RO install.

Neither of EVE's two release .zip archives as I described above contain other .zips.  That's likely EVE source code .zip archives.  I think I know what happened.

1.  Go to the first post.  Briefly read it over it again.

2.  Near the bottom of that first post, you will find a links in bold labled DOWNLOAD.  I quote it here.

On 2013-10-30 at 10:39 PM, rbray89 said:

3.  Follow that link to the Github EVE page for releases tagged "EVE-1.1-2".

4. This is one you're not familiar with.  The .zip's are named as source code.  You want a release .zip.  And somehow they're not tagged.  So....

5. Look to the upper left on the Github page and see a box "[ Release | Tags ]" with "Tags" hi-lighted.  Click on "Release" to go to the complete Release page.

6. The Release page has all the releases from the most recent at the top.  You will see the versions have both source code and release .zip archives.  Pick whichever you want to try, 1.1-2 or the Prerelease of 1.1-3.

7. For that version, download "AnyCPU-EVE-Release.zip" and "AnyCPU-Configs-Release.zip".  Those are the two .zip archives you want.

Edited by Jacke

On 5/22/2016 at 10:40 AM, releansol said:

In the past i was able to set the config to ALPHAMAP_A and the i get more Clouds. But with the newest realese (from CKAN) there is no effect to get more couds then standard. All other Settings give me a white Snowball.

This has got me stumped too :/

On ‎22‎.‎05‎.‎2016 at 11:40 AM, releansol said:

2 hours ago, DespairingSquid said:

This has got me stumped too :/

At the moment the only solution for me is to intall the EVE 1.1-1https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/releases

Edited by releansol

39 minutes ago, rocier said:

I can't see nothin on eve. Its darker than a thousand midnights. Not sure if this is normal, but how do i turn it off?

You're likely experiencing an eclipse from Gilly. Timewarp for a bit and see if it goes away.

19 hours ago, Jacke said:

EVE comes as two .zip archives on its download page.  EVE itself is "AnyCPU-EVE-Release.zip", which has "GameData/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/" containing the plugin .dll's and the .shader's.  EVE's stock config is "AnyCPU-Configs-Release.zip", which has "GameData/BoulderCo/" containing all the config files.  It's done that way as other VFX mods, like RVE and SVE, use EVE's plugins and shaders but provide their own configs.

Neither of EVE's two release .zip archives as I described above contain other .zips.  That's likely EVE source code .zip archives.  I think I know what happened.

1.  Go to the first post.  Briefly read it over it again.

2.  Near the bottom of that first post, you will find a links in bold labled DOWNLOAD.  I quote it here.

3.  Follow that link to the Github EVE page for releases tagged "EVE-1.1-2".

4. This is one you're not familiar with.  The .zip's are named as source code.  You want a release .zip.  And somehow they're not tagged.  So....

5. Look to the upper left on the Github page and see a box "[ Release | Tags ]" with "Tags" hi-lighted.  Click on "Release" to go to the complete Release page.

6. The Release page has all the releases from the most recent at the top.  You will see the versions have both source code and release .zip archives.  Pick whichever you want to try, 1.1-2 or the Prerelease of 1.1-3.

7. For that version, download "AnyCPU-EVE-Release.zip" and "AnyCPU-Configs-Release.zip".  Those are the two .zip archives you want.

Thanks for the help :)

Edited by iammr_schuck

3 hours ago, Nhawks17 said:

You're likely experiencing an eclipse from Gilly. Timewarp for a bit and see if it goes away.

nah its not an eclipse. I cant see the ground even. The whole thing is covered in clouds. Its just a big ole purple orb. How am I supposed to land?

13 hours ago, rocier said:

nah its not an eclipse. I cant see the ground even. The whole thing is covered in clouds. Its just a big ole purple orb. How am I supposed to land?

That's actually the point... Just as Eve is supposed to be the Venusian proxy, it has a thick atmosphere of very dense clouds. To land, I recommend either going in blind and then targeting your approach once through the clouds, or better-yet, use scan-sat to see the body through the clouds.

Edited by rbray89

16 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

That's actually the point... Just as Eve is supposed to be the Venusian proxy, it has a thick atmosphere of very dense clouds. To land, I recommend either going in blind and then targeting your approach once through the clouds, or better-yet, use scan-sat to see the body through the clouds.

So how would I make Kerbins clouds like this, but maybe not quite so dense

Hey @rbray89 have you implemented the new cubemap system you mentioned in Poodmund's cubemap tutorial thread? I'm restarting my project to convert SVE to cubemaps and want to know if I can do that yet (and if so, how exactly it works differently from the old cubemaps).

3 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

Hey @rbray89 have you implemented the new cubemap system you mentioned in Poodmund's cubemap tutorial thread? I'm restarting my project to convert SVE to cubemaps and want to know if I can do that yet (and if so, how exactly it works differently from the old cubemaps).

Yes, this is in play in the latest BoulderCo Package. It is just the two textures and the texture config for them.

36 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

Yes, this is in play in the latest BoulderCo Package. It is just the two textures and the texture config for them.

Ah ok awesome, I'll take a look!

3 hours ago, rbray89 said:

Does it matter which coordinate is on which RGB layer? As in, does the X need to be red, Y green, Z blue? Or do they just need to match up with each other?