[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

29 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

Does it matter which coordinate is on which RGB layer? As in, does the X need to be red, Y green, Z blue? Or do they just need to match up with each other?

It is set up so that whatever was x is now red,y is now green etc. So I guess yeah, it needs to match.

1 hour ago, TBryson2 said:

Why does the Kerbin cloud coverage question seem to be ignored?

TB2

It isn't so much being ignored but more along the lines of "this isn't easy to answer in a short period of time kind of question"

Long story short: there is no "quick" way to increase the cloud cover. I hope to be able to address this in the future. In the meantime I'd recommend SVE for configs and textures as it seems to strike a good balance for cloud cover.

4 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

It is set up so that whatever was x is now red,y is now green etc. So I guess yeah, it needs to match.

Awesome! Got it working, looks really good! Great work :D 

15 hours ago, rbray89 said:

It isn't so much being ignored but more along the lines of "this isn't easy to answer in a short period of time kind of question"

Long story short: there is no "quick" way to increase the cloud cover. I hope to be able to address this in the future. In the meantime I'd recommend SVE for configs and textures as it seems to strike a good balance for cloud cover.

Ok, thanks.  Any feedback is better than none, especially when several are asking the question. 

Also, we used to be told to simply go into the config file and change to alphamap_A, (I believe).  This has changed with the new configuration.  So there USED to be a way to increase the cloud coverage.  When this first came out, cloud coverage (I'm talking about the view from orbit, and / or map view), was nice!   Now there are only a few puffs if any at all.  I believe this is what everyone else (including me) is asking about.  The cloud coverage at the Launchpad is OK, just the other views are whacked.

Thanks again!

TB2

@frankcastle Im using CKAN. I dont have that folder. Im only using SVE and Scatterer, no EVE because its already bundled with SVE. The SVE is not the issue. I mentioned SVE because i had a EVE install and it didnt work so i tried to install SVE to see if the clouds would work but with either option it doesnt.

EDIT:
When i go to alt-0 to edit EVE settings it says:
• AtmosphereManager: No config! Please add a config with the content of "EVE_ATMOSPHERE{}" to populate.
• TextureConfig: No config! Please add a config with the content of "EVE_TEXTURE_CONFIG{}" to populate.
• TerrainManager: No config! Please add a config with the content of "EVE_TERRAIN{}" to populate.

Edited by Skeltcher

1 hour ago, Skeltcher said:

@frankcastle Im using CKAN. I dont have that folder. Im only using SVE and Scatterer, no EVE because its already bundled with SVE. The SVE is not the issue. I mentioned SVE because i had a EVE install and it didnt work so i tried to install SVE to see if the clouds would work but with either option it doesnt.

EDIT:
• AtmosphereManager: No config! Please add a config with the content of "EVE_ATMOSPHERE{}" to populate.
• TextureConfig: No config! Please add a config with the content of "EVE_TEXTURE_CONFIG{}" to populate.
• TerrainManager: No config! Please add a config with the content of "EVE_TERRAIN{}" to populate.

I think you are missing the BoulderCo folder which is where the configs and textures that EVE uses are located, try a manual install.

4 hours ago, Skeltcher said:

EDIT:

The instructions for SVE specifically say not to install it through CKAN. Also, CKAN will install the lowest resolution version of the mod, which kind of defeats the purpose, as it doesn't look very good. If you installed SVE through CKAN, try installing it manually. 

I believe those "no config" messages are normal, for SVE anyway. And, just checking, are you talking about the main menu or in-game? Clouds on the main menu are kind of bugged, but they work fine in-game for me. 

Edited by UnanimousCoward
Typo

6 hours ago, Andem said:

I think you are missing the BoulderCo folder which is where the configs and textures that EVE uses are located, try a manual install.

I had it installed manually and trough CKAN both didnt work.

1 hour ago, Phineas Freak said:

@Skeltcherthese messages are harmless and do not mean anything for the cloud configs (they are missing because some of these are not needed/implemented and/or are buggy - this applies to all EVE packages and not just SVE). If you have clouds showing up then you have nothing to worry about.

Its not showing even with a manual install of EVE.

Volume clouds have a performance problem. Having a layerVolume appears to cost significant CPU/GPU even when in LKO, by which time the particles themselves are all faded away long ago. In a simple test with 1 layer, it's the difference between 33fps and 43fps. Multiple layers of course makes it even worse. At first I thought it was the cloud shader, but that is extremely fast - 100 layered renders of it in a standalone test showed almost no cost.

1 hour ago, Waz said:

Volume clouds have a performance problem. Having a layerVolume appears to cost significant CPU/GPU even when in LKO, by which time the particles themselves are all faded away long ago. In a simple test with 1 layer, it's the difference between 33fps and 43fps. Multiple layers of course makes it even worse. At first I thought it was the cloud shader, but that is extremely fast - 100 layered renders of it in a standalone test showed almost no cost.

LayerVolume it have big impact on GPU more exactly, 1 single layer from 80 fps cap test with stock Eve drop is to ~30 fps with 1 single craft part test.

Step 1. Install Eve with stock config
Step 2. enter in game load 1 craft part to runway
Step 3. Look up to sky, targeting sun & few cloud (make sure you will not have ocean, water in view camera) pres ESC to pause game for have a static view
Step 4. Open Eve manager > CloudsManager to remove (untick) & add LayerVolume, effect it will be seen instant => volumetric cloud it cut by half fps (in my case 80 to ~30) or some were like that, Layer2D section it will bring a small impact to (it depend or is related by how complex texture is use in _MainTex) but is not so brutal like LayerVolume

I pointed about this problem to rbray & other visual pack moder in a pm conversation, showing in a recorded video what effect it cause. Impact, fps loss like value yes are dependent by each person pc configuration & special what video card it use but Volume clouds yes it have a big impact on game performance & i bet it will not be a easy task to be solve

37 minutes ago, Waz said:

I don't have problem with them costing performance - nothing is free and they're not too bad for their visual impact. The problem is they cost it when they can't possibly be visible. This is extra bad with multiple cloud layers, and I doubt it's  deliberate.

You was replay in wrong treath :) aka this was suppose to be here :)
It depend how you see that balance aka everything must be thought like cause & effect to be gradual, if in a simple situation with nothing special impact is huge then when you will try to do something more complicated like more layers, using high resolutions texture / textures ... you'll have an outcome that it will multiply the initial effect making everything to look very nice but it will be a slide show aka exact what you was found "This is extra bad with multiple cloud layers" for example 1 layer cloud cost around 4-8 fps depend by texture what is use, witch is fine but if you activate "LayerVolume" cost it will be like 35 fps aka is to much +adding Layer2D cost it will goo to +40, watch last movie from pm conversation & you will see :).

Yes i know getting perfect balance / optimization it is easy to speak about but difficult to achieve in practice, that i say in my end of previous post "it will not be a easy task to be solve". Anyway i am happy you was point to this to :wink:

I just created this account to say my thanks on you rbray for putting efforts and continuesly developing/updating it. Its been a year or more since i started using EVE, Though its more optimized the first time i used it beacuse it dont stutter before not like today. I dont know if its just the KSP, My PC or Eve. I would suggest its more better if there is a sharper texture options on download and optimization and/or merging the AVP with EVE will be the best. But still its a job well done for maintaining it. Keep it up! :D Thankyou again!

Hi All, sorry for the dumb question, please feel free to just direct me to where this was answered previously (I browsed the last few pages of the thread and didn't see anything). 

So I downloaded and manually installed the latest version 1.1-2 (first EVE, then Configs), all seems to be working fine except it's quite a low resolution - city lights especially noticeable.  There obviously isn't a separate hi-res version like in the old days, so can someone educate me how to get this working with a little more hi-res glory :)  Is it something I do with EVE Manager?

Thanks in advance!

On 4/23/2016 at 1:20 PM, rbray89 said:

Most people seemed to want clearer skies so the clouds reflect that. Look in orbit, there is less cloud cover now. If you want to change that, in the cloud config, change ALPHAMAP_B to ALPHAMAP_A.

Its better.  Now I don't aways have KSP socked in when I'm trying to find it.  But, of course, what I really want is an intermediate value between the two! :-)

5 hours ago, davidpsummers said:

Its better.  Now I don't aways have KSP socked in when I'm trying to find it.  But, of course, what I really want is an intermediate value between the two! :-)

You can tweak it a bit by changing the alpha component (4th number) of the _Color from 255 to more (eg. 300) for more clouds. You'll lose detail if you take it too far though.

@rbray89 I am having an issue with the cloud layers being 'bleached' out on the sunny side of a body as shown in the first screenshot below. The first image is just a solid white texture applied with the default settings apart from the colour parameters so it matches a pink/purple Eve colour. You can see that the sun is washing out the colour on the near side and bleaching the cloud layer.

This is causing issues when using image maps on the Alpha Channel (i.e. AlphaCubeMap - Alpha Channel) as the bleached portion of the cloud layer causes the layer to lose its colour and visibility due to the way the transparency is working on the alpha channel with the increased light (/white) intensity. This is shown in the 2nd and 3rd images. The 2nd image depicts SVE's EveClouds texture as an RGB image map which looks as the mod intends. The 3rd image shows the exacts same layer but with the Main Texture an identical copy of SVE's EveClouds texture but as a Cube Map on the Alpha Channel, you can see the issue depicted as discussed above.

How can this 'reflective bleaching' be reduced or is a limitation of the shader EVE implements?

Pinging @Nhawks17 for reference.

On 6/2/2016 at 8:03 AM, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

How to disable city lights?

Delete GamaData/BoulderCo/CityLights

Edit: if you just don't like the look of them, you can also try the EVE citylights configs from SVE or from KSPRC.

Edited by Waz

Celestial Shadow are very cool but make very hard to land , I notice that the light parts are not illuminating the land when in shadow from a celestial body, I suppose it is being worked on or am I missing something?

Thanks