[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

I was watching an older Scott Manley video earlier and Kerbin looked rather ... upsetting without its clouds. I have no doubts that Squad will get around to everything you are doing right now, but I think your work shows exactly why they were smart to open modding up and support it early on. Heck, you might just end up on the team for it.

I was watching an older Scott Manley video earlier and Kerbin looked rather ... upsetting without its clouds. I have no doubts that Squad will get around to everything you are doing right now, but I think your work shows exactly why they were smart to open modding up and support it early on. Heck, you might just end up on the team for it.

Your post prompted me to look back over some of my screenshots, and I see exactly what you mean about how jarringly sterile KSP looks without clouds.

hrQpTeZ.png

versus

VmknmwV.png

Pretty remarkable, and a testament to the work rbray has done!

I don't really consider any of my mods 'essential' for enjoying KSP, but I admit this one feels necessary. I'd like to see the sky extended on Kerbin (at 10km we're past the clouds AND can see well into the void). Here's my contribution to the old and new:

2013-10-16_00002_zps2e7f78d3.jpg~original

2013-12-04_00004_zps4215e765.jpg~original

A weird question. Is it possible to have clouds where you are inside the atmosphere, but not see them from orbit? I want to use a 50mb kerbin texture with clouds, and having the volumetric clouds on top of it makes it very busy.

A weird question. Is it possible to have clouds where you are inside the atmosphere, but not see them from orbit? I want to use a 50mb kerbin texture with clouds, and having the volumetric clouds on top of it makes it very busy.

I don't think I have any mechanism to accomplish this... You might be able to toy with the rim settings on the over-layer to try this though.

What about the smoke that appears when a plane lands on a runway?

-snip-

Tire smoke was implemented when drifting on Touhou Torpedo's modular multiwheels. I'm sure it could be implemented on landing with regular gears. It should not be connected to this mod.

Tire smoke was implemented when drifting on Touhou Torpedo's modular multiwheels. I'm sure it could be implemented on landing with regular gears. It should not be connected to this mod.

If I end up implementing something like this, it will probably be in another dll (in visualEnhancements), and I would probably add other landing effects in there as well. (dust clouds on impact, etc)

If I end up implementing something like this, it will probably be in another dll (in visualEnhancements), and I would probably add other landing effects in there as well. (dust clouds on impact, etc)

Ooooh! This is a "visual enchantments" in general modification! So, cities and clouds are just the beginning? Why don't you say so!

Here's my wishlist:

- tire smoke on contact with ground

- dust puffs when Kerbals are walking on dirt/snow(/water?)

- headshake in IVA (camera-on-a-g-spring-with-noise-method)

I am currently having an issue with this mod. I have installed it correctly, put the BoulderCo folder into KSP\GameData\GameData and the mod still doesn't work with all my other mods.

Here is the list of mods I use:

KW Rocketry

NovaPunch

Bobcat's Soviet Pack

BobCat's American Pack

KSPX

When I run the game WITHOUT this mod, KSP works fine. When I add the mod, the game crashes every time after loading! What do I do to fix this!? :(

I am currently having an issue with this mod. I have installed it correctly, put the BoulderCo folder into KSP\GameData\GameData and the mod still doesn't work with all my other mods.

KW Rocketry

NovaPunch

Bobcat's Soviet Pack

BobCat's American Pack

KSPX

When I run the game WITHOUT this mod, KSP works fine. When I add the mod, the game crashes every time after loading! What do I do to fix this!? :(

Those are some pretty hefty mods you have there...

KW Rocketry

NovaPunch

Bobcat's Soviet Pack

BobCat's American Pack

KSPX

hmmm... try adding the OTHER mod I have in my signature. It compresses textures on startup to save memory. Could be that you are running into the memory wall.

I'm thinking of deleting KSPX, because from what I hear it has some nasty incompatibility issues. But, if anyone has a suggestion on what to do, please don't hesitate to reply! :D

You're definitely hitting the memory wall. You should downsize some textures, set KSP to half-res and install the Active Memory Reduction mod. I'm currently using a VERY high amount of mods, including all parts from KW, NP and B9. I've installed the B9 extreme reduction pack by attosecond, it frees up more than 1 gb for other mods to use.

@KyleofKerbin There is no conflict between this mod and KSPX. None that I've seen in weeks of playing and literally 100's of missions.

Checking memory should be your first concern if you're crashing like that.

You're definitely hitting the memory wall. You should downsize some textures, set KSP to half-res and install the Active Memory Reduction mod. I'm currently using a VERY high amount of mods, including all parts from KW, NP and B9. I've installed the B9 extreme reduction pack by attosecond, it frees up more than 1 gb for other mods to use.

I would also agree about the half res-thing. It comes down to a choice between playing the game with lots of mods or playing at full-res. Also, as suggested earlier by rbray the memory reduction mod is an excellent tool for freeing up memory. Another essential thing for people that don't play vanilla KSP is installing the texture reduction packs for B9, KW Rockets, Squad and any other reduction pack out there. I run with millions of mods, play with texture replacer and city and clouds and am playing on Nathankells excellent Real Solar System mod Shameless plug for an excellent mod so I am regularly building huge 5m rockets and thanks to those measures I have loads and loads of memory left as you can see.

LGS38a4.jpg

Not yet compatible with Real sized solar system, cloud and city light textures flash and flicker, divided into strange little segments, noticeable when viewing the planet from long distances; fades away when very close (map view)

Edit: Just realized this doesn't happen when universe replacer textures aren't running. sorry

Re-Edit: No still an issue even without any universe replacer textures running (VE:6-7). Also it appears that clouds fade to fast when close to layer: only just visible from surface, and once 90 km above.

City lights textures rise off the horizon although All else is looking b-e-a-utiful!

Dare I wish for volumetric clouds? One can only dream :'D

Would be incredible skimming over/through 3d clouds high in the atmosphere or gliding through the layers of cloud on return from orbit in a shuttle XD

Edited by pingopete

Not yet compatible with Real sized solar system, cloud and city light textures flash and flicker, divided into strange little segments, noticeable when viewing the planet from long distances; fades away when very close (map view)

You need to roughly add a 0 to all values in the settings file. For Eve (Venus) that will make it really weird, so try lower values.