[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

Tested the pqs dev version. Default settings. The kerbin clouds look nice except for the issue reported a few times before where the mountains come through the clouds someplaces. I had a quick look at duna and eve and eve looks ok but perhaps a bit oversaturated with clouds? Duna is the other way. I can see a slight shade difference when i turn the clouds on and off but they are really barely visible at best.

I have not actually tried the experimental version, but I looked into the config, and the cloud height is set to 4000 by default, so I guess mountains higher than that will clip through. Try changing the height to something higher than the highest peaks of Kerbin :)

Tested the pqs dev version. Default settings. The kerbin clouds look nice except for the issue reported a few times before where the mountains come through the clouds someplaces. I had a quick look at duna and eve and eve looks ok but perhaps a bit oversaturated with clouds? Duna is the other way. I can see a slight shade difference when i turn the clouds on and off but they are really barely visible at best.

Yeah, One thing that always bugged me was that the clouds didn't "run" into the mountains. Even when they should. This will fix that.

I have not actually tried the experimental version, but I looked into the config, and the cloud height is set to 4000 by default, so I guess mountains higher than that will clip through. Try changing the height to something higher than the highest peaks of Kerbin :)

Yeah, the config in the next update will now use altitude, as the "radial ratio" was a bit difficult for people to use.

All of a sudden this mod seems to be causing me crashes. Not memory crashes, it's on startup and scene changes. I have no idea when this happened or which one of my dozens of mods it could possibly be conflicting with. Does anyone have any possible ideas? It used to work just fine.

Looks like you are running out of memory:

DynamicHeapAllocator out of memory - Could not get memory for large allocationCould not allocate memory: System out of memory!
Trying to allocate: 178956976B with 32 alignment. MemoryLabel: Texture
Allocation happend at: Line:388 in
Memory overview

May I recommend:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-0-23-Release-2-15-Active-Texture-Management-Save-RAM-without-reduction-packs%21

Looks like you are running out of memory:

DynamicHeapAllocator out of memory - Could not get memory for large allocationCould not allocate memory: System out of memory!
Trying to allocate: 178956976B with 32 alignment. MemoryLabel: Texture
Allocation happend at: Line:388 in
Memory overview

May I recommend:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-0-23-Release-2-15-Active-Texture-Management-Save-RAM-without-reduction-packs%21

Wouldn't you know it! It's worked!

Errmm... Hmm... City lights works, but the clouds don't? Usually when something like this occurs, I recommend trying to remove all traces of the plugin and perform a clean install. The folder tree should be something like: KSP_mac/GameData/BoulderCo/...

Hey rbray89,

Thanks for the reply. I actually downloaded, installed, re-installed, deleted, rinsed and repeated many times. I did get it to work after searching some more and trying a bunch of different combinations. I'm working with Clouds & City Lights Lo-Res, 2K textures, and Universe Replacer, Seems I couldn't use 8K even with a machine from 2013... doh (haven't tried 4K yet). Although Duna's "clouds" appear red no matter what I try! very annoying. Any suggestions?

Best,

Avi

Hey rbray89,

Thanks for the reply. I actually downloaded, installed, re-installed, deleted, rinsed and repeated many times. I did get it to work after searching some more and trying a bunch of different combinations. I'm working with Clouds & City Lights Lo-Res, 2K textures, and Universe Replacer, Seems I couldn't use 8K even with a machine from 2013... doh (haven't tried 4K yet). Although Duna's "clouds" appear red no matter what I try! very annoying. Any suggestions?

Best,

Avi

ALT+N brings up the gui. There you should be able to alter the color of the clouds. I used red, as it made it look more like dust storms :)

Hey rbray (or anyone else), do you know the best way to optimize this for RSS? It seems to work mostly fine, but there are a few things that seem to not show up correctly. I don't see any clouds when on the surface of Kerbin, but they look normal once I'm in space. I assume this is a rescaling issue with layer 0, but I'm not sure.

I also don't see ANY clouds on Duna, and when I try to edit the layer, it becomes opaque white (I posted this a while back).

Any ideas?

Hey rbray (or anyone else), do you know the best way to optimize this for RSS? It seems to work mostly fine, but there are a few things that seem to not show up correctly. I don't see any clouds when on the surface of Kerbin, but they look normal once I'm in space. I assume this is a rescaling issue with layer 0, but I'm not sure.

I also don't see ANY clouds on Duna, and when I try to edit the layer, it becomes opaque white (I posted this a while back).

Any ideas?

In the common config, the values for the camera distances have to be increased by the same scale as RSS. ~10x

Pimp My Clouds (And city lights!) Texture Pack v0.5 - (23/01/14 UPDATE)

[B]DISCLAIMER:[/B]
I'm not responsible if you accidentally overwrite any of your previous personalized textures or settings!![B][I]

CAUTION:[/I][/B]
[B]This pack overwrites cityLights.cfg and cloudLayers.cfg to use new default settings. IT'S EXPERIMENTAL and still in progress, so all this should be used aware of it.[/B]
For the best and most secure installation, put this pack on a clean installation of "Visual Enhancements: Clouds & City Lights" mod. If you can't or you don't want to do it, please, do a backup of all your personalized textures
and configs (if you have it) before use this.

DOWNLOAD

https://mega.co.nz/#!skFEyaaa!EeS9FGAItEyWWyF68gkRqy9kWZYEhCrEmOzQuLdoHhE

HOW TO INSTALL:

1- To install this pack, merge the folder "BoulderCo" from the rar with your mod installed folder "BoulderCo" (Substituting the necessary files in the process).

2- Then, just delete (or rename completely different as backup) all remaining TGA textures in your "CityLights" and "Clouds" installed folders (yet inside "BoulderCo").

This pack uses his own files, all in PNG, so this last step is important: having duplicate texture names may cause undesirable results.

(Texture Replacer Mod + Pimp my Kerbals Texture Pack is recommended for best results of this pack)

[B][Changelog][/B]

Version 0.5

- Several changes in cloudLayers.cfg.
- Added clouds (and corresponding shadows) to Duna and Laythe.
- Eve improved and recolored.
- New improved clouds for Kerbin.
- first approaches to better under-clouds settings in Kerbin. Trying to avoid excessive traces and reach a good fake-visual "volume" for clouds from ground.
- New city lights and map for city lights. Visible from space now, but yet not too much if you don't zoom the camera to Kerbin. Trying to find the best settings in glow, size and distribution.
- Jool clouds improved and recolored. Please, use "Pimp My Kerbals Texture pack" (containing his first low-res texture) for the best results. If not, remind that layer not going to be there and Jool may seem strange or different to captures in KSP Forum.
- Please, use Texture replacer and "Pimp My Kerbals Texture pack" for the best results with this pack: contains revamps for Kerbin, Minimus, Mun, Duna and Jool -last one necessary for the best results with Jool-.
- This pack is optimized now and is near to half the stock mod size but, if you are concerned yet about performance issues, TextureCompressor mod (A.K.A. Active Texture Management) is highly recommended.
[URL]http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-0-22-Release-1-Active-Memory-Reduction-Mod[/URL]

-------------------------------------------

Regards and gratefulness:

Thanks to rbray89 (author of the mod which shows this textures) by make this possible.

Edited by Proot

Pimp My Clouds (And city lights!) Texture Pack v0.5 - (23/01/14 UPDATE)

http://imgur.com/a/nk6XH

¡New versión! A lot of changes and

[B]DISCLAIMER:[/B]
I'm not responsible if you accidentally overwrite any of your previous personalized textures or settings!![B][I]

CAUTION:[/I][/B]
[B]This pack overwrites cityLights.cfg and cloudLayers.cfg to use new default settings. IT'S EXPERIMENTAL and still in progress, so all this should be used aware of it.[/B]
For the best and most secure installation, put this pack on a clean installation of "Visual Enhancements: Clouds & City Lights" mod. If you can't or you don't want to do it, please, do a backup of all your personalized textures
and configs (if you have it) before use this.

DOWNLOAD

https://mega.co.nz/#!skFEyaaa!EeS9FGAItEyWWyF68gkRqy9kWZYEhCrEmOzQuLdoHhE

HOW TO INSTALL:

1- To install this pack, merge the folder "BoulderCo" from the rar with your mod installed folder "BoulderCo" (Substituting the necessary files in the process).

2- Then, just delete (or rename completely different as backup) all remaining TGA textures in your "CityLights" and "Clouds" installed folders (yet inside "BoulderCo").

This pack uses his own files, all in PNG, so this last step is important: having duplicate texture names may cause undesirable results.

(Texture Replacer Mod + Pimp my Kerbals Texture Pack is recommended for best results of this pack)

[B][Changelog][/B]

Version 0.5

- Several changes in cloudLayers.cfg.
- Added clouds (and corresponding shadows) to Duna and Laythe.
- Eve improved and recolored.
- New improved clouds for Kerbin.
- first approaches to better under-clouds settings in Kerbin. Trying to avoid excessive traces and reach a good fake-visual "volume" for clouds from ground.
- New city lights and map for city lights. Visible from space now, but yet not too much if you don't zoom the camera to Kerbin. Trying to find the best settings in glow, size and distribution.
- Jool clouds improved and recolored. Please, use "Pimp My Kerbals Texture pack" (containing his first low-res texture) for the best results. If not, remind that layer not going to be there and Jool may seem strange or different to captures in KSP Forum.
- Please, use Texture replacer and "Pimp My Kerbals Texture pack" for the best results with this pack: contains revamps for Kerbin, Minimus, Mun, Duna and Jool -last one necessary for the best results with Jool-.
- This pack is optimized now and is near to half the stock mod size but, if you are concerned yet about performance issues, TextureCompressor mod (A.K.A. Active Texture Management) is highly recommended.
[URL]http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-0-22-Release-1-Active-Memory-Reduction-Mod[/URL]

-------------------------------------------

Regards and gratefulness:

Thanks to rbray89 (author of the mod which shows this textures) by make this possible.

That looks awesome, downloading!

I'll stick with my Eve though

HzQjLOO.png

CLOUD_LAYER
{
body = Eve
radius = 1.008
color
{
r = 0.314
g = 0.216
b = 0.435
a = 1
}
main_texture
{
file = BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/eve1
scale = 0
offset
{
x = 0.9218211
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -0.0005
y = 0
}
}
detail_texture
{
file = BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/detaileve1
scale = 100
offset
{
x = 0.9218211
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -0.0005
y = 0
}
}
bump_texture
{
file = BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/bump1
scale = 40
offset
{
x = 0.9218211
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -0.0005
y = 0
}
}
shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 1
falloffScale = 3
detailDistance = 0.02
minimumLight = 0.1
}
underside_shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 1.8
falloffScale = 10
detailDistance = 0.05
minimumLight = 0.1
}
}
CLOUD_LAYER
{
body = Eve
radius = 1.025
color
{
r = 2
g = 1
b = 2
a = 1
}
main_texture
{
scale = 0
offset
{
x = 0.4609106
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -0.0015
y = 0
}
}
detail_texture
{
scale = 100
offset
{
x = 0.4609106
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -0.0015
y = 0
}
}
bump_texture
{
scale = 15
offset
{
x = 0.4609106
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -0.0015
y = 0
}
}
shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 2
falloffScale = 3
detailDistance = 0.01
minimumLight = 0.1
}
underside_shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 1.8
falloffScale = 10
detailDistance = 0.04
minimumLight = 0.1
}
}
CLOUD_LAYER
{
body = Eve
radius = 1.03
color
{
r = 0.314
g = 0.216
b = 2
a = 1
}
main_texture
{
scale = 0
offset
{
x = 0.1718219
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -0.0025
y = 0
}
}
detail_texture
{
scale = 100
offset
{
x = 0.1718219
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -0.0025
y = 0
}
}
bump_texture
{
scale = 20
offset
{
x = 0.1718219
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -0.0025
y = 0
}
}
shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 2
falloffScale = 3
detailDistance = 0.008
minimumLight = 0.2
}
underside_shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 1.8
falloffScale = 10
detailDistance = 0.025
minimumLight = 0.1
}
}
CLOUD_LAYER
{
body = Eve
radius = 1.035
color
{
r = 0.643
g = 0.424
b = 0.914
a = 1
}
main_texture
{
scale = 0
offset
{
x = 0.08436437
y = 0.5
}
speed
{
x = 0.0035
y = 0
}
}
detail_texture
{
scale = 100
offset
{
x = 0.08436437
y = 0.5
}
speed
{
x = -0.0035
y = 0
}
}
bump_texture
{
scale = 15
offset
{
x = 0.08436437
y = 0.5
}
speed
{
x = -0.0035
y = 0
}
}
shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 2
falloffScale = 3
detailDistance = 0.01
minimumLight = 0.1
}
underside_shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 1.8
falloffScale = 10
detailDistance = 0.025
minimumLight = 0.1
}
}

That looks awesome, downloading!

I'll stick with my Eve though

http://i.imgur.com/HzQjLOO.png

CLOUD_LAYER
{
body = Eve
radius = 1.008
color
{
r = 0.314
g = 0.216
b = 0.435
a = 1
}
main_texture
{
scale = 0
offset
{
x = 0.9218211
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -0.0005
y = 0
}
}
detail_texture
{
scale = 100
offset
{
x = 0.9218211
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -0.0005
y = 0
}
}
bump_texture
{
scale = 40
offset
{
x = 0.9218211
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -0.0005
y = 0
}
}
shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 1
falloffScale = 3
detailDistance = 0.02
minimumLight = 0.1
}
underside_shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 1.8
falloffScale = 10
detailDistance = 0.05
minimumLight = 0.1
}
}
CLOUD_LAYER
{
body = Eve
radius = 1.025
color
{
r = 2
g = 1
b = 2
a = 1
}
main_texture
{
scale = 0
offset
{
x = 0.4609106
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -0.0015
y = 0
}
}
detail_texture
{
scale = 100
offset
{
x = 0.4609106
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -0.0015
y = 0
}
}
bump_texture
{
scale = 15
offset
{
x = 0.4609106
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -0.0015
y = 0
}
}
shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 2
falloffScale = 3
detailDistance = 0.01
minimumLight = 0.1
}
underside_shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 1.8
falloffScale = 10
detailDistance = 0.04
minimumLight = 0.1
}
}
CLOUD_LAYER
{
body = Eve
radius = 1.03
color
{
r = 0.314
g = 0.216
b = 2
a = 1
}
main_texture
{
scale = 0
offset
{
x = 0.1718219
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -0.0025
y = 0
}
}
detail_texture
{
scale = 100
offset
{
x = 0.1718219
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -0.0025
y = 0
}
}
bump_texture
{
scale = 20
offset
{
x = 0.1718219
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -0.0025
y = 0
}
}
shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 2
falloffScale = 3
detailDistance = 0.008
minimumLight = 0.2
}
underside_shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 1.8
falloffScale = 10
detailDistance = 0.025
minimumLight = 0.1
}
}
CLOUD_LAYER
{
body = Eve
radius = 1.035
color
{
r = 0.643
g = 0.424
b = 0.914
a = 1
}
main_texture
{
scale = 0
offset
{
x = 0.08436437
y = 0.5
}
speed
{
x = 0.0035
y = 0
}
}
detail_texture
{
scale = 100
offset
{
x = 0.08436437
y = 0.5
}
speed
{
x = -0.0035
y = 0
}
}
bump_texture
{
scale = 15
offset
{
x = 0.08436437
y = 0.5
}
speed
{
x = -0.0035
y = 0
}
}
shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 2
falloffScale = 3
detailDistance = 0.01
minimumLight = 0.1
}
underside_shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 1.8
falloffScale = 10
detailDistance = 0.025
minimumLight = 0.1
}
}

Thanks :D I think I will make it like you and stick with Proots version but with your Eve. I just like your Eve texture better :wink:

@Proot This updated version looks gorgeous :D I like those toned down City Lights

Edited by DasBananenbrot

I don't mean to be impatient or demanding but how are those volumetric clouds going? It's been a while since the last (official) update. Also would they enable auroras and initial weather conditions, like fog on Eve?

No worries. I had to move to a different rendering mechanism, and most of my time has been spent on the other mod I have. I have toyed around with a bunch of different mechanisms, and I have settled on HOW I will go about implementing the clouds, it is just a matter of finding the time.

I'm working on realistic reflection for mun. As first step for realistic interplanetary reflections for all rocky bodies. Any advice?

Would be possible make this a feature?, to add a small glow to all bodies (only visible from interplanetary distances)?

I achieve certain grade of success making this with the actual features and a fake-cloud low-res texture. The effect is close to be realistic from kerbin, but is awful from mun ground (visible and for that just not acceptable).

Edited by Proot

No worries. I had to move to a different rendering mechanism, and most of my time has been spent on the other mod I have. I have toyed around with a bunch of different mechanisms, and I have settled on HOW I will go about implementing the clouds, it is just a matter of finding the time.

Ooooh, this is exciting stuff! I can't wait.

One other thing, how badly would rings made of tiny objects decimate my memory?

Ooooh, this is exciting stuff! I can't wait.

One other thing, how badly would rings made of tiny objects decimate my memory?

Hardly at all. I have given this quit a bit of thought. The way I'm planning on implementing it is to use a couple (2-3) ring segments, each containing 20-100 medium vertex count rock bodies of a variety of size/shape. When the user gets close to the edge of a segment, then I swap out the other edge to that one. When in map view, the ring will be a simple 2d medium vertex ring.

I'm working on realistic reflection for mun. As first step for realistic interplanetary reflections for all rocky bodies. Any advice?

Would be possible make this a feature?, to add a small glow to all bodies (only visible from interplanetary distances)?

I achieve certain grade of success making this with the actual features and a fake-cloud low-res texture. The effect is close to be realistic from kerbin, but is awful from mun ground (visible and for that just not acceptable).

"reflection" can be achieved through the specular (Alpha) component of the planet texture. There was a recent discussion on this in the texture replacer thread.