[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

As far as I know, cloud textures have to be kept readable in the game. This was possible using DDSLoader, but the built-in DDS loader in the game doesn't set them as readable. This may be causing your issue. Might be best to leave cloud textures as PNG.

ok thanks, I'll try the default ones

So... Question...

Has anybody ever given thought to the possibility of some basic daytime city textures? I'm imagining a copy of the city lights code, just applied during the daytime instead of the night. Or perhaps always applied and just placed beneath city lights?

You could take the city lights textures being used as a pattern (for where cities supposedly are) and just replaced the coloring with a cookie cutter satellite image of Manhattan or something? I don't think those textures are super hi res- I'm not imagining flying above birds eye views of real cities and making out buildings. I just think it might be fun just to see some urban looking browns and grays in place of the lights when the Sun's up. Doubt you could really make them out from high up, but pretty sure that's true for the ISS as well.

Is this as bad of an idea as I'm afraid, or is it a possible and/or interesting concept?

ok thanks, I'll try the default ones

I converted the 3 small 256x256 textures to dds using the dds conversion tool. The thing that was holding me up was don't flag it as "normal" and it worked just fine. I cant convert the 8k textures though for some reason. Any suggestions?

So... Question...

Has anybody ever given thought to the possibility of some basic daytime city textures? I'm imagining a copy of the city lights code, just applied during the daytime instead of the night. Or perhaps always applied and just placed beneath city lights?

You could take the city lights textures being used as a pattern (for where cities supposedly are) and just replaced the coloring with a cookie cutter satellite image of Manhattan or something? I don't think those textures are super hi res- I'm not imagining flying above birds eye views of real cities and making out buildings. I just think it might be fun just to see some urban looking browns and grays in place of the lights when the Sun's up. Doubt you could really make them out from high up, but pretty sure that's true for the ISS as well.

Is this as bad of an idea as I'm afraid, or is it a possible and/or interesting concept?

The Real Solar System Visual Enhancements mod does that so it's certainly possible

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/83215-WIP-RSS-Visual-Enhancements-%28RVE%29

I converted the 3 small 256x256 textures to dds using the dds conversion tool. The thing that was holding me up was don't flag it as "normal" and it worked just fine. I cant convert the 8k textures though for some reason. Any suggestions?

Hmm, I'm not sure what the normal flag does, my knowledge of these things is basic at best

The program I used to convert the textures was Paint.Net (it's a free download for windows) and it doesn't seem to have a normal flag

it converted all the textures without problem though so maybe give it a try

http://www.getpaint.net/index.html

- - - Updated - - -

As far as I know, cloud textures have to be kept readable in the game. This was possible using DDSLoader, but the built-in DDS loader in the game doesn't set them as readable. This may be causing your issue. Might be best to leave cloud textures as PNG.

Many thanks :)

you were right, leaving the cloud textures as PNG's is better

converting them to DDS messes up the transparency.

Any tips for what settings to use when converting to DDS?

I installed EVE and then Astronomer's Edge of Oblivion pack and then used Paint.Net to convert to .DDS with these settings:

http://i.imgur.com/0sOKr5u.png

But the clouds came out a bit weird, very solid looking:

http://i.imgur.com/kBHbagJ.jpg

Well ... that looks very artistic ... like someone made a oil or acrylic painting.

edit : did forget to mention ... that everybody should keep their hands away from the EVEoverhaul ... except for testing purposes ... it is very buggy I can not recommend to use it right now. (well it will eventually come with day time cities ... I have seen fitting texture for that in the mod)

Edited by Bizz Keryear

edit : did forget to mention ... that everybody should keep their hands away from the EVEoverhaul ... except for testing purposes ... it is very buggy I can not recommend to use it right now. (well it will eventually come with day time cities ... I have seen fitting texture for that in the mod)

Sorry to say this one isn't much better either. It crashes the game rather rapidly.

Well ... that looks very artistic ... like someone made a oil or acrylic painting.

It does now you mention it, I can see Timothy Spall as a Kerbal standing next to the launchpad with his easal :D (I just watched Mr. Turner)

Sorry to say this one isn't much better either. It crashes the game rather rapidly.

Your problems must lie elsewhere, I've had no crashes

anyone knows how the "speed" variable is calculated?

let's assume I want the cloud layer to rotate at the same speed of the planet... (let's say rotation of 6h like kerbin)

do I set the speed:

x = 0 ?

or

x = 21600

or

x = 4.6296296e-5 (which is 1/21600)

I went with the last one for something I'm trying but the clouds are not moving.

Edited by Sigma88

So... Question...

Well the thing is, you're right, even from low orbit it's very difficult to make out anything like that during the day time, and if you're close enough to actually see anything, it will probably look kind of ugly.

Nope. Definitely EVE. I uninstalled it and crashes stopped.

But it's not crashing for me.

I've played maybe 8 hours on 1.0 and another couple on 1.0.2, no crashes so far

so that kinda proves that it's not down to the mod, unless putting astronomers 'edge of oblivion' pack somehow fixes it because I'm running that on top

What happened to the normal res version???? All I see is a download link for high-res???

If you click the link, it takes you to a Github page with both the low resolution and high resolution zip files.

Linux/Ubuntu ? Does it work ?

The only sure way to know is to test it yourself. It works for some, for others it doesn't. Posting your results afterwards for others to use as reference might not be such a bad idea as well.

It may depend on your graphics card. Runs fine for me with an nvidia card, but I think some people with radeon cards have had problems.

Works fine on latest Mint, so I guess Ubuntu should work too. Also a Radeon 7850 card + official drivers.

It may depend on your graphics card. Runs fine for me with an nvidia card, but I think some people with radeon cards have had problems.

I have a GTX 980, and it works ! YAY! , but i am still getting an glitchy white globe effect when ever i accelerate time