[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

13 hours ago, Epox75 said:

I'm having this graphical glitch since I've installed the version 1.05-4. I never had this problem with all the previous releases of E.V.E. I play on Windows 10, with Half Res Texture quality. Other settings are SM3 Terrain Shader and Terrain Scatter off. 2x Antialiasing, Pixel Light Count 8, Shadow Cascades 4, PPFX on Surface FX on and Underwater FX on. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

I'm seeing this half-white half-black cloud issue on linux (at least, that's what it looks like).  4x antialiasing. I believe my pixel light count and shadow cascades are higher, and PPFX is off (I'd have to double check surface/underwater FX, don't think I've actually seen those anywhere).  I do have scatterer and planetshine - not sure if that is part of it, as Epox didn't mention it.  Apologies for extra-long-distance shot: I timewarped a while before noticing this.

The really strange part here visually is that the sun is behind and to the left, but the left-side clouds are the black ones.

mt2ZwPu.png

If anyone has any thoughts on what's causing this, please let me know. Thanks!

Edited by Singing Boyo

Epox, I'm not sure why you've never experienced it but I've seen this plenty of times in the past.  Not sure if I'd seen it in the Overhaul version but yeah I'm getting that too.  Might be a incompatibility.  Perhaps there is a mod we have in common that causes it somehow?  I don't have a terribly long mod list (comparatively I suppose), but maybe you have one or more of these?

Antenna Range
B9 Procedural Wings
EVE (duh)
Chatterer
CollisionFX
DistantObject
EditorExtensions
ImprovedChaseCamera
KAS
KerbalEngineer
KIS
Pilot Assistant
PlanetShine
TextureReplacer
WaypointManager

4 hours ago, Hyomoto said:

Epox, I'm not sure why you've never experienced it but I've seen this plenty of times in the past.  Not sure if I'd seen it in the Overhaul version but yeah I'm getting that too.  Might be a incompatibility.  Perhaps there is a mod we have in common that causes it somehow?  I don't have a terribly long mod list (comparatively I suppose), but maybe you have one or more of these?

Antenna Range
B9 Procedural Wings
EVE (duh)
Chatterer
CollisionFX
DistantObject
EditorExtensions
ImprovedChaseCamera
KAS
KerbalEngineer
KIS
Pilot Assistant
PlanetShine
TextureReplacer
WaypointManager

Hi Hyomoto, the mods we have in common are: Chatterer, Distant Object, KIS, KAS, KerbalEngineer, Planetshine, TextureReplacer. At the moment I rolled back to the previous version and everything works fine again. 

Edited by Epox75

Interesting, I might do the same then.  I've gotten used to seeing it, one of those look the other way things, but if rolling it back makes it all good again I'm not terribly attached to the clouds on the main menu versus the ones in play though I might try seeing if one of these aren't the culprit first.

20 hours ago, visivante said:

I'm seeing the same issue. I'll post these shots to the scatterer thread as well.

jl4Upr4.jpg

7eoTF0I.jpg

When I get this it kinda of seems like it's choosing to render the half of the planet at launch, because I only see it once i've flown into space and around the planet.

16 hours ago, Epox75 said:

Hi Hyomoto, the mods we have in common are: Chatterer, Distant Object, KIS, KAS, KerbalEngineer, Planetshine, TextureReplacer. At the moment I rolled back to the previous version and everything works fine again. 

I am seeing the same thing.  You can narrow down common mods to Chatterer and KerbalEngineer.

It's good to hear there's a fix!

For anyone curious, I can confirm that this is an EVE bug because I've seen it a couple times and I don't have Scatterer, Chatterer, or Kerbal Engineer. Also, I find that going into the map and back again tends to at least temporarily fix it.

13 hours ago, mitiya said:

Hello. Can anyone say, there are any GUI key, or list of all options ?

(texture  scale,offset,speed )

has been said several times before, just read more than the last few posts and show some interest in the development - not just the outcome..

That shows respect to the modder!

has been said several times before, just read more than the last few posts and show some interest in the development - not just the outcome..

Actually, I find that comment quite snotty:  when a new (or old)feature is mentioned outside of the OP, it can get buried, especially if the comment stream is running quite fast.   I use mods for fun, I generally do not want to (or have time to) read through pages of text, and in the process, may overlook the actual command for the GUI.  That is why I go to the OP...to find out any pertinent information.  Most modders stress to the gaming public to read the OP for any information relating to the mod, and how to use it (installation instructions, changelogs, tutorial links, hotkeys, etc.). If it is not there, and yet a feature of the mod, why should someone not ask in the forum thread relating to said mod?

Does it really?  If you want to hunt around for the actual posting for the GUI command (I do not know how to call up the GUI, but I have not searched for it), wouldn't the OP actually want to create ease of use of said mod by posting any new commands in the OP?  I just  checked the OP, and there are 6 times when the GUI is mentioned, but not once is actually specified what the GUI command is.

On a post as large as this (208 pages and counting), one would put all pertinent information on the OP.

If hunting around for one possible comment in 208 pages is respect for the modder...seems to be quite strange respect indeed.   I love this mod, and use it religiously, but calling someone out on a simple (and answerable) inquiry that is not addressed in the OP sounds unreasonable to me, and I doubt it would upset Rbray if someone shouted it out.  Seems to be just a simple oversight that can be alleviated by editing the OP and adding in the hotkey command for all of us to see.

So, could someone please help mitiya, rather than answering the inquiry with such disdain?

Cheers.

3 hours ago, Gaultesian said:

Actually, I find that comment quite snotty:  when a new (or old)feature is mentioned outside of the OP, it can get buried, especially if the comment stream is running quite fast.   I use mods for fun, I generally do not want to (or have time to) read through pages of text, and in the process, may overlook the actual command for the GUI.  That is why I go to the OP...to find out any pertinent information.  Most modders stress to the gaming public to read the OP for any information relating to the mod, and how to use it (installation instructions, changelogs, tutorial links, hotkeys, etc.). If it is not there, and yet a feature of the mod, why should someone not ask in the forum thread relating to said mod?

Does it really?  If you want to hunt around for the actual posting for the GUI command (I do not know how to call up the GUI, but I have not searched for it), wouldn't the OP actually want to create ease of use of said mod by posting any new commands in the OP?  I just  checked the OP, and there are 6 times when the GUI is mentioned, but not once is actually specified what the GUI command is.

On a post as large as this (208 pages and counting), one would put all pertinent information on the OP.

If hunting around for one possible comment in 208 pages is respect for the modder...seems to be quite strange respect indeed.   I love this mod, and use it religiously, but calling someone out on a simple (and answerable) inquiry that is not addressed in the OP sounds unreasonable to me, and I doubt it would upset Rbray if someone shouted it out.  Seems to be just a simple oversight that can be alleviated by editing the OP and adding in the hotkey command for all of us to see.

So, could someone please help mitiya, rather than answering the inquiry with such disdain?

Cheers.

I maintain a separate thread for development that includes the GUI key-combination. The reason for this is simple: some people probably shouldn't be messing around with the GUI. Those who find the development thread at least demonstrate the ability to search out other avenues of information. This is important as there are LOTS of parameters in the GUI, and I simply don't have the bandwidth to answer everyone's questions regarding them.

5 hours ago, Speadge said:

Thanks! I find it. (ALT + 0)
Maybe this key information can be placed in the starting post ?

4 hours ago, mitiya said:

Thanks! I find it. (ALT + 0)
Maybe this key information can be placed in the starting post ?

as rbray89 said: its adressed in the dev-thread.

to all and especially @Gaultesian:

when you "play around" with those settings you might want to know what they are for, where the known bugs are and else.. and therefor you should take your time to read the threads the modders are writing - even if it takes way more time than just reading the OP. but it prevents for asking same questions every 2 pages - and thats even one of the reasons why there are so many pages - cause people never read more than the first and (perhaps) the last post - sorry, its just making me angry somehow :(.

So either take what is in the op and live with it - or spend some time to understand how its working - and that means more than jsut posting a question and hoping for answer. The Modder spent even more time for creating the mod & writing all the comments and keeping us up to date. its the least we can do to just read those comments - whereever they are! And in a Thread with 208 sites you can be sure that it has been mentioned before... imagine everyone would ask..

First read, then write!

Edit: anyway - with that said - back to topic? ;)

@rbray89 how is the bugfix for 1/2 atmosphere/cloudlayer going? anything we can test already?

Edited by Speadge

I always like to treat modders as having spent more hours than I even play just on some code to improve everyone else's game, hours on a forum helps noobs and others fix their problems, hours fixing issues and adding features. They may not even get to play and enjoy the game they are pouring so much time on. The least I can do is read a thread and try my best to avoid repeated questions. I doubt it takes 1% of the time to read this entire thread that they spend helping and working sometimes only for a few thanks. Perspective on others time and its value is a key to showing respect and understanding. No one's time is more valuable than any others.

Edited by Svm420

Alrighty... So a slew of updates coming soon... unfortunately, there will be a big config change, but it will also allow better ModuleManager support.
The new format is something like

EVE_CLOUDS
{
	OBJECT
	{
		name = Kerbin-clouds1
		body = Kerbin
		altitude = 4000
		detailSpeed = 0,6,0
		settings
		{
			_DetailTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/detail1
			_Color = 255,255,255,255
			_MainTex
			{
				value = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/Clouds
				type = AlphaCubeMap
				alphaMask = ALPHAMAP_R
			}
		}

TEXTURE_CONFIG
{
	OBJECT
	{
		name=BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/Clouds
		format=RGB24
		isCubeMap=True
		texXn=BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/CloudsXn
		texYn=BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/CloudsYn
		texZn=BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/CloudsZn
		texXp=BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/CloudsXp
		texYp=BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/CloudsYp
		texZp=BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/CloudsZp
	}
}

You'll also notice that the _MainTex has a new form... this is an optional form for textures where more parameters can be edited. 

I've also added a new Texture Config Manager that allows detailed control over textures. No more relying on ATM and whatnot to ensure textures shipped in EVE configs are setup properly.

These two changes allow us to introduce cube maps! This should address high-res issues on Macintosh machines (2k*2k textures look GREAT as it is) but will also allow some crazy levels of detail when using >2k textures.

To save memory, we now allow alpha mapping (using RGB of textures to map to alpha). This allows us to use the same texture for multiple cloud maps! It just has to be created properly, and I would recommend using RGB24/RGBA32 as the format to avoid loss with Compressed textures. If you do use the uncompressed versions with alpha mapping, the memory will be the same, but the quality should be noticeably better! Expect pretty poor quality alpha if using DXT, but a QUARTER/THIRD of the memory usage when combined with alpha mapping.

The GUI is also very slick now, being almost entirely procedurally built, allowing me to focus on other tasks rather than GUI maintenance, and I've been building lots of awesome functionality into it, so hopefully it will save me lots of time going forward. 

I'll probably post this update within the next week, along with a nice surprise! 

After that, I'll be working on lighting. Specifically celestial shadows and clouds.

33 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

I'll probably post this update within the next week, along with a nice surprise! 

SURPRISES :)))))))) I love them!

well, all i can ask at the moment is a fix for the cloudlayer beeing 1/2 off of the planet - beside that i'm all happy and sure that your new config changes will lead to even more awesome configs in SVE, KSPRC & Co.

Thanks for that!

1 hour ago, rbray89 said:

I'll be working on lighting. Specifically celestial shadows and clouds.

1192835-hype__.jpg

But what do you mean by clouds? How can we get more cloudy?

Edited by Aegrim

3 hours ago, Valerian said:

You mean shadows such as Mun shadow on Kerbin during an eclipse? Nice! I can remove this from my todo list then :P

Yup! I posted a proof of concept on reddit a while back... https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/3s3m9g/working_on_celestial_shadows/

5 hours ago, Speadge said:

SURPRISES :)))))))) I love them!

well, all i can ask at the moment is a fix for the cloudlayer beeing 1/2 off of the planet - beside that i'm all happy and sure that your new config changes will lead to even more awesome configs in SVE, KSPRC & Co.

Thanks for that!

This is fixed :)

4 hours ago, Aegrim said:

1192835-hype__.jpg

But what do you mean by clouds? How can we get more cloudy?

Think better lighting for clouds

28 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

This is fixed :)

anything available for testing?

or do u just mean "its already in the next version coming next week"?

one could understand it as "fix has been published already" - so sorry for asking

Edited by Speadge