[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

Hello!

Recently installed the new 1.0.5 version---fresh install, deleted everything including the KSP folder. I'll slowly add all my mods again.

As it happens, I've noticed a posible bug or glitch with EVE. An ugly black bar appears to the left of the "main window" in the tracking station. Here's a picture:

3E90CBD3BC5540BC063C08C27234CF5C0B71186E

Now I am VERY sure it was EVE; the only other mod I've installed so far is Final Frontier, and it works perfectly. The second one was EVE and this bar appeared when I launched the game after installing.

I downoladed the latest EVE version from Github, along with the config files, extracted to GameData and then deleted the CityLights folder. Afterwards I launched the game to see if everything was OK and found this. The clouds seem to be fine, as are the shadows. There's a weird effect on Duna, like the clouds are too high and can be discerned laterally like a superimposed layer.

How can I get rid of this bar?

Extra info: I'm using the high-res EVE, almost maxed graphic settings and forced OpenGL.

I also have another question: is there an in-game config option window?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. sorry if this was already answered, the search option for this thread didn't find anything and I'm still getting accustomed to the new forums :S

3 hours ago, Joco223 said:

What part of it should i copy or the whole log?

The whole thing. That's why most people uploads the txt file and low a link on the forum. The txt is quite long. Or post the whole thing in a code window. Again not great beacsue the guy helping you has to copy that while window.

6 hours ago, V8jester said:

The whole thing. That's why most people uploads the txt file and low a link on the forum. The txt is quite long. Or post the whole thing in a code window. Again not great beacsue the guy helping you has to copy that while window.

Here is the link to output log txt.  https://mega.nz/#!BQcUwBgY

Also, city lights appear on Minmus too, but they dont appear on Duna when i went there

-EDIT*-

Sry, here is the decription liink for download  !3t_x6kfe2ThFQ7HQrRDKMDXpDpUtmruqtykUrAUEz38

i dont know why it asks for it

Edited by Joco223

10 hours ago, Supermarine said:

Hello!

Recently installed the new 1.0.5 version---fresh install, deleted everything including the KSP folder. I'll slowly add all my mods again.

As it happens, I've noticed a posible bug or glitch with EVE. An ugly black bar appears to the left of the "main window" in the tracking station. Here's a picture:

Now I am VERY sure it was EVE; the only other mod I've installed so far is Final Frontier, and it works perfectly. The second one was EVE and this bar appeared when I launched the game after installing.

I downoladed the latest EVE version from Github, along with the config files, extracted to GameData and then deleted the CityLights folder. Afterwards I launched the game to see if everything was OK and found this. The clouds seem to be fine, as are the shadows. There's a weird effect on Duna, like the clouds are too high and can be discerned laterally like a superimposed layer.

Extra info: I'm using the high-res EVE, almost maxed graphic settings and forced OpenGL.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. sorry if this was already answered, the search option for this thread didn't find anything and I'm still getting accustomed to the new forums :S

This is a stock bug.

10 minutes ago, Joco223 said:

Here is the link to output log txt.  https://mega.nz/#!BQcUwBgY

Also, city lights appear on Minmus too, but they dont appear on Duna when i went there

-EDIT*-

Sry, here is the decription liink for download  !3t_x6kfe2ThFQ7HQrRDKMDXpDpUtmruqtykUrAUEz38

i dont know why it asks for it

You aren't running the latest EVE. This is why you have the bug.

13 hours ago, Supermarine said:

Hello!

Thanks in advance!

It just happened to me on a game that didn't have EVE, and it seemed related to -force-opengl

6 hours ago, rbray89 said:

This is a stock bug.

You aren't running the latest EVE. This is why you have the bug.

3 hours ago, Valerian said:

It just happened to me on a game that didn't have EVE, and it seemed related to -force-opengl

Well I uninstalled EVE and the "stock bug" was gone. I did not change my OpenGL config. Other than that, everything works fine. Also, I've been using OpenGL for months without issue.

Do you think it is related to 1.0.5?

Since then, I've installed at least 10 other mods. No problems so far. I really miss my clouds :(

Edited by Supermarine

4 hours ago, Supermarine said:

Well I uninstalled EVE and the "stock bug" was gone. I did not change my OpenGL config. Other than that, everything works fine. Also, I've been using OpenGL for months without issue.

Do you think it is related to 1.0.5?

Since then, I've installed at least 10 other mods. No problems so far. I really miss my clouds :(

Seriously it is a stock bug. 
https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/3ujn0h/black_bar_in_the_tracking_station/

4 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

Yes, I believe you, however the bar was gone once I uninstalled EVE. I now have over 45 mods installed, and it has not appeared again.

What I find interesting is the uniqueness of the circumstances. Many people have EVE installed and don't see that bar. Some others have no mods and see it. I see it only when EVE is installed. Puzzles me :/

I'd try to solve it if I knew where to start...

So this may be a known bug, the forum update made it a little difficult for me to follow some of the conversation. If it is my apologies.

I am getting a lot of flickering in the clouds when the camera is far away from any body with an atmosphere. On Kerbin it starts around 10-15Mm. I've tried opengl, directx9, and directx11 and it occurs in all of them. It isn't really that noticeable on regular stock scale because the planets are so small by the time you're far enough away but on an upscaled system (my main install is 4x) its very noticeable. At stock scale the easiest way to see it is to go into settings and then back to the main menu so it switches to the view from the Mun's surface. 

I made this gif from a bunch of screenshots, its faster in game.

http://makeagif.com/i/4FuUUw

Here is a pastebin of my logs.

http://pastebin.com/26LhZhLp

^ That's "z-fighting". Long story short, the camera can only distinguish differences in distance to a limited precision, and your clouds are too close to the ground, so when you get really far away, to the camera they appear to be very, very close to the surface, so it gets confused and changes its mind every frame about whether parts of the cloud are in front of or behind the terrain.
The simple solution is to raise the height of the clouds, although that will of course make them appear higher when you're at low altitudes too. Sadly it's a rendering limitation deep inside Unity and thus neither rbray nor SQUAD can provide a "true" solution.

EDIT: Actually I did think of something rbray could do: Change the render queue of the cloud shader so that it always renders after planets, and/or disable depth testing. This will take away the "moutaintops poking through clouds" feature, but should eliminate z-fighting. Alternately, a workaround could be to add a setting for individual cloud layers to turn off completely above a certain distance, which is also desirable for performance reasons (I don't need to see every layer of Eve's clouds from Jool). Config authors could then add special high-altitude cloud layers that appear at high altitudes to replace the low-altitude ones, preserving the appearance and avoiding z-fighting.

Edited by parameciumkid
ideas

22 minutes ago, parameciumkid said:

^ That's "z-fighting". Long story short, the camera can only distinguish differences in distance to a limited precision, and your clouds are too close to the ground, so when you get really far away, to the camera they appear to be very, very close to the surface, so it gets confused and changes its mind every frame about whether parts of the cloud are in front of or behind the terrain.
The simple solution is to raise the height of the clouds, although that will of course make them appear higher when you're at low altitudes too. Sadly it's a rendering limitation deep inside Unity and thus neither rbray nor SQUAD can provide a "true" solution.

EDIT: Actually I did think of something rbray could do: Change the render queue of the cloud shader so that it always renders after planets, and/or disable depth testing. This will take away the "moutaintops poking through clouds" feature, but should eliminate z-fighting. Alternately, a workaround could be to add a setting for individual cloud layers to turn off completely above a certain distance, which is also desirable for performance reasons (I don't need to see every layer of Eve's clouds from Jool). Config authors could then add special high-altitude cloud layers that appear at high altitudes to replace the low-altitude ones, preserving the appearance and avoiding z-fighting.

Close... The issue is z-fighting, but the solutions aren't those you think they are :)

As an easy fix, I could actually adjust the depth test offset (we do this in the cloud shadow already actually, as z fighting is MUCH worse on OpenGL due to the smaller depth buffer). This would have other consequences (mountains showing through at odd locations) but should work. In actuality though, I'd recommend the authors of Kopernicus/RSS look into re-scalling the scaled space environment down further.

If I were to disable depth-testing, that would have other unfortunate effects like showing through the other side of the clouds, and showing through the side of other bodies (eg. seeing clouds through Mun)

25 minutes ago, parameciumkid said:

Interesting and good to know.

I'll try messing with cloud height to see if I can find something that works both ways. I'd be fine with any of those workarounds if they are feasible. Disabling after a certain height seems like the best, maybe replacing all the layers with a simply texture even.

Thanks for the answer!

2 hours ago, rbray89 said:

Close... The issue is z-fighting, but the solutions aren't those you think they are :)

As an easy fix, I could actually adjust the depth test offset (we do this in the cloud shadow already actually, as z fighting is MUCH worse on OpenGL due to the smaller depth buffer). This would have other consequences (mountains showing through at odd locations) but should work. In actuality though, I'd recommend the authors of Kopernicus/RSS look into re-scalling the scaled space environment down further.

If I were to disable depth-testing, that would have other unfortunate effects like showing through the other side of the clouds, and showing through the side of other bodies (eg. seeing clouds through Mun)

I like easy fixes!

Do you know if re-scaling scaled space is possible through .cfg editing in Kopernicus?

13 minutes ago, mreadshaw said:

I like easy fixes!

Do you know if re-scaling scaled space is possible through .cfg editing in Kopernicus?

No idea. They should have implemented it in RSS if it is available though.

1 hour ago, tg626 said:

Anyone else getting this?  I've had it several times now.  I'll submit logs etc. if I find out it's new, but wanted to see if it's a "known issue" first.

Known error and "soon to be fixed" (IIRC in the current dev already)

Edited by Speadge

12 minutes ago, blowfish said:

Nice.  But I thought that was tried before end ended up causing a significant performance hit...

I think it depends on how it was implemented... The way I'm doing it the hit isn't terrible unless you have a LOT of IVAs.

7 hours ago, rbray89 said:

Thought of something cool... Added it to EVE.......

Any chance this is toggle-able? I love he idea of seeing the IVA's, but I also like Windowshine.... Choices, choices :)

Looks great BTW, Look forward to messing with this. Should make for some great videos. 

Edited by V8jester