[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

This will fix so many previous issues with the fake 2D (black cloud) shadow method previously employed in RVE/BetterAtmospheres etc, no misalignment with time, no clipping with surface in SS/PQS, always resides at ground level (unlike the previous method which had to be at 1750m) so can bring the clouds lower/more realistic in RSS, and finally can remove high CPU fake cloud method for this, better in literally every way :) noice rbay!

The thing I like the most is sitting at KSP watching the cloud pass over the mountains, and the shadows rolling over the hills.

You are gonna make me so happy, having back clouds, I really miss them. The screens of your current overhaul look so damn pretty. It will make KSP a whole lot better.

I've known he's been working on it, and I've even tried it from time to time, but for whatever reason clouds simply do not show up when I use that version. I've looked at the config file and it seems legit but no tampering on my part seems to have any effect. Like the rest of us, I'll just be using the previous version and dreaming. The atmosphere, water and texturing all looks very nice. I just cannot comment on the clouds yet.

I've known he's been working on it, and I've even tried it from time to time, but for whatever reason clouds simply do not show up when I use that version. I've looked at the config file and it seems legit but no tampering on my part seems to have any effect. Like the rest of us, I'll just be using the previous version and dreaming. The atmosphere, water and texturing all looks very nice. I just cannot comment on the clouds yet.

Keep in mind, the old config structure will be deprecated, so the old packs won't work.

Having shadows from clouds will look fantastic! You're gonna make me build a new PC now, aren't you? ;)

I've been loving the Overhaul releases, but... KSP in OS-X on my crap Intel HD-4000 barely runs as-is, and the Overhaul kinda murders what little is left. (Nothing you're doing wrong, of course. And Yosemite just made it much, much, MUCH worse.) So for now I'm kinda stuck on whatever previous version I've been recompiling each release.... Oh well.

Having shadows from clouds will look fantastic! You're gonna make me build a new PC now, aren't you? ;)

I've been loving the Overhaul releases, but... KSP in OS-X on my crap Intel HD-4000 barely runs as-is, and the Overhaul kinda murders what little is left. (Nothing you're doing wrong, of course. And Yosemite just made it much, much, MUCH worse.) So for now I'm kinda stuck on whatever previous version I've been recompiling each release.... Oh well.

I have a couple possible performance fixes in the works if I can get them working.

Keep in mind, the old config structure will be deprecated, so the old packs won't work.

Yes, you mentioned this months ago. Why I would install a pack for a version of EVE that doesn't exist is well beyond my comprehension but unfortunately the knowledge that people still do is not. For me, the clouds simply do not show up when I do a clean install of the latest overhaul. I'm not expecting you to troubleshoot my issue, the whole 'using an unsupported, unreleased development version' is on me. I would like to see what the clouds look like, but I'll wait until the release comes out.

My game keeps crashing when I switch to Kerbin or from editor to launchpad and this is what I found repeatedly in the output_log

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object at Clouds.Clouds.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

This is the whole error folder that was created.

2014-10-31_013312.zip

I am playing on a x64 Windows 8.1 but the x32 bit version.

My game keeps crashing when I switch to Kerbin or from editor to launchpad and this is what I found repeatedly in the output_log

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object at Clouds.Clouds.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

Known issue, rbray explains it here:

It is actually more likely that the issue is not with my mod, but another or KSP itself. The null reference exception is due to the fact that it can't find the KSP space center. I don't bother checking it, because in normal operation the KSC will always exist in the KSC scene. Either KSP glitched out, or you have a rouge mod deleting the Space Center PQS.

Yes, you mentioned this months ago. Why I would install a pack for a version of EVE that doesn't exist is well beyond my comprehension but unfortunately the knowledge that people still do is not. For me, the clouds simply do not show up when I do a clean install of the latest overhaul. I'm not expecting you to troubleshoot my issue, the whole 'using an unsupported, unreleased development version' is on me. I would like to see what the clouds look like, but I'll wait until the release comes out.

But it still troubles me, so I must troubleshoot. :) What OS and KSP architecture (x86 or x64) do you use?

Well, as much as I love dropping a vague bug in someone's lap (I don't), I did some troubleshooting. Originally I thought it was Texture Replacer because removing it fixed the problem, but like any good technician I cannot sleep until I know why something causes a problem. After all, it never caused any before. So, three or four hours of playing around with various configurations I can say Texture Replacer reacts badly only with B9 Aerospace installed. For whatever reason, having the two installed alongside the overhaul yields this:

D75B80F99F843C8CA5C414E43FE10921BD8A0CD7

Remove either one of them, and the clouds appear and everything looks fine. And trust me, I've tried EVERYTHING I can think of to isolate this. All I can determine is for some reason ANY of B9 parts being installed causes this, but beyond that I am stumped. I tried removing B9's dependencies which causes the clouds to appear again, but the atmosphere is still a bit darker and you get weird artifacts when you look to the west. The only solution I have found is to simply delete B9 Aerospace. But now I'm back to where I was with Texture Replacer, why does removing it fix the issue if it works fine minus something else. I'm so frustrated right now. I think I've at least cleared mods like FAR, AJE and DRE as the culprits. Planetshine and Distant Objects don't seem to cause it either.

At this point I'm thinking maybe it's a memory problem? Since no mod by itself seems to fix it, and the only things that seem to alleviate it are mods that have textures. I dunno, I'll play with it some more and see if I cannot isolate it but it's highly aggravating.

EDIT: Well, I repeated a test that I thought I'd already done and wouldn't you know, it ALSO fixed the problem. What was the test? Removing KWRocketry. So here's what I can gather from my various frustrating tests, if I remove Texture Replacer, B9 Aerospace or KW Rocketry, the overhaul works fine. Considering they are all my largest memory hogs, this leads me to believe that WHATEVER THE ISSUE IS, it has to do with texture memory. I'm going to reduce the size of the kerbin1.png and see if that ALSO clears it up.

EDIT2: I'll let you guess what the results were. So though it would be pointless to speculate on WHY this happens, it appears reducing my memory footprint fixes the issue.

Edited by Hyomoto

Yeah, but I use Red Hat Enterprise Linux, and that has bad Nvidia drivers. (I use a PhysX enabled GPU, which apparently makes KSP physics more faster.)

I'm looking into preordering a copy of Windows 9. (Just sarcasm, don't pay any less attention you already do to your replies)

Edited by FirstSecondThird

Unless something has changed, PhysX always runs on the CPU in Unity. Having an nVidia card confers no additional bonuses to KSP. Also, Windows 9 will be very hard to pre-order because it isn't ever going to exist. But I agree, I too would have liked to have it, considering it seems the odd number Windows are the ones that aren't crap. Windows decided to double down on Vista this time. The figured out that if they make a operating system people like, they won't use the ones they hate. So now they've are just giving us two versions no one wants.