[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

I like to say anecellent job on this mod. Currently I have been running Release 3 and I encounter a rendering error that shows up when you are more than a half a million kilometers away. I have two images to show you what I mean.

http://www.infradead.org/~jsimmons/screenshot100.png

http://www.infradead.org/~jsimmons/screenshot101.png

As you can see the lights end up looking like vertical stripes on the planet kerbin.

Edited by jsimmons
newbie that doesn't know how to insert image :-(

Well maybe a something to click and close the window. Since ALT+n would toggle on both mods, if the GUI window had some way to click on it to turn if off besides hitting ALT+n, might create a happen medium. That might not work because when I click clouds GUI off and when I hit ALT+n to close notes, it would then open up clouds GUI again. Minimize window might work. Only other thing I could think of would to make the GUI option in install.

Unfortunately L is used for translation... I want to avoid using in-game keys. http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Key_Bindings

I like to say anecellent job on this mod. Currently I have been running Release 3 and I encounter a rendering error that shows up when you are more than a half a million kilometers away. I have two images to show you what I mean.

screenshot100.png

screenshot101.png

As you can see the lights end up looking like vertical stripes on the planet kerbin.

You should move to a recent release. Fixes for Linux/misc bugs were added in release 4. Also, I'm afraid you posted links to images stored on your local machine so I can't view them. (/home/jsimmons/screenshots/projectwhisper/screenshot100.png)

http://www.infradead.org/~jsimmons/screenshot100.png

http://www.infradead.org/~jsimmons/screenshot101.png

Hmm... This might actually be something else... I'll take a look at it once I get home.

Hey, I'm back with yet another texture optimization suggestion. :]

Why not use the RGB channels of the cloud opacity textures for the opacity, rather than alpha? As far as I can see you're not really using the color channels of the main cloud textures--I mean, the shader supports it, but they're always white in practice, colored by the cfg. Then you don't need an alpha channel, and your memory usage per texture is cut in half. Further, it lets you use 16 bits of alpha rather than 8. (You'd think 24, but DXT1 compresses it to 5:6:5 bits RGB).

These volumetric clouds look really neat. I could see them being used for a dramatic exhaust effect at the launch pad as well. They are quite bright though. To the point that they just wash-out any details and you can't see through them at all. They seem to be self illuminating too :P

4A076Vg.png

Why not use the RGB channels of the cloud opacity textures for the opacity, rather than alpha? As far as I can see you're not really using the color channels of the main cloud textures--I mean, the shader supports it, but they're always white in practice, colored by the cfg. Then you don't need an alpha channel, and your memory usage per texture is cut in half. Further, it lets you use 16 bits of alpha rather than 8. (You'd think 24, but DXT1 compresses it to 5:6:5 bits RGB).

I would have to look into that. I left color as an option, but since most people want lower memory usage, this could probably work. I'll have to force KSP to convert the texture though. By default they are all argb.

is there a way to reset all the cloud layers? Also I think there might be a bug with the clouds on kerbin because when I went to add a layer kerbin clouded over like it had a nuclear war.(it's still there even though I removed all layers)

These volumetric clouds look really neat. I could see them being used for a dramatic exhaust effect at the launch pad as well. They are quite bright though. To the point that they just wash-out any details and you can't see through them at all. They seem to be self illuminating too :P

4A076Vg.png

Ah... hmmm... I forgot to test them at night :) I'll have to find an appropriate shader then.

is there a way to reset all the cloud layers? Also I think there might be a bug with the clouds on kerbin because when I went to add a layer kerbin clouded over like it had a nuclear war.(it's still there even though I removed all layers)

Currently, the only way to reset is to manually copy the config from a release.

Ok, Looks like I have a way to reduce memory by more than half this way. I should be able to convert the texture to alpha only & then unload the original. This could be such a great find!

Ah, that's even better!

I was thinking you can just strip the alpha from the file, and then KSP will load the file as DXT1 rather than 5, thus halving storage space, but if you do it ingame, that's cool too.

Hmmm... actually, it depends on what texture mode KSP uses by default... Do you know if KSP is using DXT compression? Alpha8 would make it higher quality, but would not save any space if it is using DXT5. However, you are right about the 1/2 savings if it is loaded as DXT1 instead if DXT5 is currently used.

KSP/Unity does the following: For each file in GameData, if it's recognized as an image:

(a) generate mipmaps*

(B) if it has no alpha channel, compress as DXT1 and unload the original+

© if it has an alpha channel, compress as DXT5 and unload the original+

*PNG loading has a bug where no mipmaps are generated

+TGA loading has a slight leak, so apparently not everything used in conversion gets unloaded (compared to MBM).

KSP/Unity does the following: For each file in GameData, if it's recognized as an image:

(a) generate mipmaps*

(B) if it has no alpha channel, compress as DXT1 and unload the original+

© if it has an alpha channel, compress as DXT5 and unload the original+

*PNG loading has a bug where no mipmaps are generated

+TGA loading has a slight leak, so apparently not everything used in conversion gets unloaded (compared to MBM).

Ah... Ok, So I should switch to MBM now (we could also go back to PNG to save mip-map space)? :D I think I will have to do the DXT1 method. From this thread, it looks like some/many of the textures are not loaded as DXT. (however, that could be due to normal maps being loaded as 16-32 bit RGB(A). Hard to say.