[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

so glad to see the update! thank you. quick question: is there a higher resolution version anywhere? it seems a little pixelated (not sure if it's just me). i vaguely remember there being multiple resolutions in the past

You may want to bump up the texture settings in KSP if it is blurry.

I have a curiosity,

I've noticed that all cloud textures are 32bit images... (4 x 8bit channels RGBA)

would it be possible to use just 2 x 8 bit channels (greyscale + Alpha)

or maybe even one single channel

Probably there's some limitation in ksp or whatever else that makes doing that not possible, but I thought to ask anyways, just in case :)

Edited by Sigma88

I have a curiosity,

I've noticed that all cloud textures are 32bit images... (4 x 8bit channels RGBA)

would it be possible to use just 2 x 8 bit channels (greyscale + Alpha)

or maybe even one single channel

Probably there's some limitation in ksp or whatever else that makes doing that not possible, but I thought to ask anyways, just in case :)

Yes and no... Unity has limited texture support, so what you suggest would be DXT1 or 8-bit Alpha only. This also would have the implication of forcing one unified color. For places like Kerbin and Eve this is likely fine, but for Jool, this may not be the most appropriate action. If this didn't matter to us, one thign we could consider doing would be to re-use the texture space. That is, we would assign one cloud layer to red, one to green, one to blue, and another to alpha. We could also use the RGB as a detail map for added detail at certain distances. This comes with some trade-offs though:

1) This may affect quality as DXT5 compression is not very friendly with map values. It is much better suited for regular color textures.

2) It will make it considerably more difficult to create textures.

Yes and no... Unity has limited texture support, so what you suggest would be DXT1 or 8-bit Alpha only. This also would have the implication of forcing one unified color. For places like Kerbin and Eve this is likely fine, but for Jool, this may not be the most appropriate action. If this didn't matter to us, one thign we could consider doing would be to re-use the texture space. That is, we would assign one cloud layer to red, one to green, one to blue, and another to alpha. We could also use the RGB as a detail map for added detail at certain distances. This comes with some trade-offs though:

1) This may affect quality as DXT5 compression is not very friendly with map values. It is much better suited for regular color textures.

2) It will make it considerably more difficult to create textures.

yeah, if you are using all the channels that's even better :)

I thought that the color of a layer was always defined by the settings in the cfg, anyways having the possibility of stuffing more information in the same file seems an interesting idea... like it could help with RAM usage (just a feeling, I don't know if I'm on the right track since I don't really know much about ksp code)

That is, we would assign one cloud layer to red, one to green, one to blue, and another to alpha.

is this already possible? or was that just an hypotetical? :)

Edited by Sigma88

yeah, if you are using all the channels that's even better :)

I thought that the color of a layer was always defined by the settings in the cfg, anyways having the possibility of stuffing more information in the same file seems an interesting idea... like it could help with RAM usage (just a feeling, I don't know if I'm on the right track since I don't really know much about ksp code)

is this already possible? or was that just an hypotetical? :)

This is all hypothetical. It could be a good way to do a bunch of different things (more detail, more variety, less memory usage, etc.), but at this point, I'm not certain what I would and would not implement.

This is all hypothetical. It could be a good way to do a bunch of different things (more detail, more variety, less memory usage, etc.), but at this point, I'm not certain what I would and would not implement.

thanks for the info :)

They've been beautiful for over a year now id say. Check the original post.

I agree they are beautiful. It is a very nice mod. But I can't find any information relating to scattered vs overcast clouds. In the past when I've used this mod you transit through clouds no matter where you go up or down at.

Edited by JedTech

I agree they are beautiful. It is a very nice mod. But I can't find any information relating to scattered vs overcast clouds. In the past when I've used this mod you transit through clouds no matter where you go up or down at.

Watch the video, there are some spots where cloud cover is dense and some where it isn't. Been that way for a long time.

I finally got a chance to run this, and noticed that the cities extend out into the water. I know you had been trying to correct that and had some issues but was wondering the status on it going forward?

Very pretty, by the way. I love the cloud shadows.

Hmmm... They shouldn't. Screenshot?

Hmmm... They shouldn't. Screenshot?

Upon further investigation, it just seems to happen sometimes.

Approaching. This is the big city on the southern tip of Kerbal Continent.

screenshot0.jpg

Closer...

screenshot1.jpg

Here's a different area, showing it does cut sometimes (most of the time, actually)

screenshot3.jpg

Landed! Here I found I couldn't quicksave because I was "moving over the surface."

screenshot4.jpg

Here I'm landed on land.

screenshot5.jpg

That last screenshot is from a quicksave you can get here. Totally stock except EVE.

Is it possible to make shadows softer? I tried to make thin half-transparent Duna clouds and it means softer shadows. But it's still black.

I have the same question,they are kind of intense and look a little odd to me

I have the same question,they are kind of intense and look a little odd to me

Rbray already stated a few posts up he'll be adding ability to adjust shadows. I know coming into a thread after a big update can be daunting with the number of posts going up but at the very least skim through and read everything the OP says in response to people asking questions

Hello,can someone explain to me how the particle 1,2 and 3 work?I see it's the same particle just rotated differently.First I thought this is for volumetric cloud (x,y and z),then i made three ellipses with different color in widows paint,to see how each particle is applied in game,the particles were different position and orientation,regardless of color,sometimes we're even overlaping.So it is possible that particle 1 is the most present and 3 less?

Hello,can someone explain to me how the particle 1,2 and 3 work?I see it's the same particle just rotated differently.First I thought this is for volumetric cloud (x,y and z),then i made three ellipses with different color in widows paint,to see how each particle is applied in game,the particles were different position and orientation,regardless of color,sometimes we're even overlaping.So it is possible that particle 1 is the most present and 3 less?

Move the camera around the particle. Basically, to fake the volume, usually particles are used (eg. KSP rocket exhaust) however, if we did it that way, the effect would fail very quickly as the particle would always face the camera, and therfore look like it is spinning around as you move the camera around it. To avoid this, we use a custom tri-planar particle shader that renders three different textures depending on where you are retaliative to the particle.

Okay I hate to just repost my old post, but since it got buried in reaction exclamations and never got answered I'll give it one more shot.

I've been experimenting with the parameters in the Alt+0 UI, but some of them don't seem to do anything, in the map or in flight, at high or low altitudes. An example is the "Offset" vector in the main atmosphere layer options. Previously this would move the atmosphere texture to the side, but in the new version no values I put in there seem to have any effect.

Rather than specifically come whining for help with every bump I encounter, is there a manual of any kind anywhere? Even if it's somewhere obvious, someone please tell me because I can't seem to find it xD

Okay I hate to just repost my old post, but since it got buried in reaction exclamations and never got answered I'll give it one more shot.

I've been experimenting with the parameters in the Alt+0 UI, but some of them don't seem to do anything, in the map or in flight, at high or low altitudes. An example is the "Offset" vector in the main atmosphere layer options. Previously this would move the atmosphere texture to the side, but in the new version no values I put in there seem to have any effect.

Rather than specifically come whining for help with every bump I encounter, is there a manual of any kind anywhere? Even if it's somewhere obvious, someone please tell me because I can't seem to find it xD

No Manual yet. Tool-tips to be added in future versions though. Right now some things don't do anything. Offset is one of those currently.