[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

Yeah. Although AG was getting unreadables--we'd have to track down whether any unreadables are not already compressed and look into why that breaks.

I didn't get that, though I waited until the start menu was up.

I should have remembered PNG is compressed. Trigger Au found that with the Kerbal Alarm Clock, and he posted about it a few months ago. So the game / engine goes through the trouble of DXT conversion (somewhat costly, if it's quality conversion), and then skips generating mipmaps (pretty cheap if you use the graphics API to do it).

I think that I will run compression on all the textures used.

I think that I will run compression on all the textures used.

Textures with high spatial frequency or high contrast will look poor when compressed, so keep that in mind. That's why Trigger Au found the problem - his icons looked like garbage because of the compression.

The testing you guys are doing makes me feel a lot better. I had run a bunch of tests on my KSP.x86_64 Linux installation before to determine what texture format gave me the best performance.

I used ImageMagick and a few scripts to convert the textures back and forth, and used a recompiled version of the mbm2png converter to update the model.mu's for each format.

After a pass to convert every texture in my /Gamedata folder to PNGs, I found a TON more memory free and a lot of speed improvements from screen switching.

After a pass to convert every PNG to TGA, my free memory dropped to about 100MB and everything was much more sluggish.

I found it wouldn't load any textures if I converted them to DXT5 manually, so there weren't any other options to try.

I now run every mod I download through this converter to make sure everything is in PNG format and my game runs smooth as silk. I don't notice any issues in quality either.

If someone has a better idea or would like me to test anything, please let me know.

Hello, I'm really liking the looks of this mod, however I can't get it yet because my other 31 mods are bogging down my KSP... (Oh, first world problems...)

Anyways, I've heard things of volumetric clouds? I mean I've seen a couple screenshots now and am just curious when that'll actually become a thing?

When it does I think I'll finally take the initiative to cut my number of mods in half to accommodate for such a wonderful thing.

The new additions are very nice and helpful for playing around with the clouds. One thing i noticed for the reset option. Once i mess around with the layer options->apply and save and then reset the planet, although the planet resets the settings are not reverted to their original value. If possible fix it

Hello, I'm really liking the looks of this mod, however I can't get it yet because my other 31 mods are bogging down my KSP... (Oh, first world problems...)

Anyways, I've heard things of volumetric clouds? I mean I've seen a couple screenshots now and am just curious when that'll actually become a thing?

When it does I think I'll finally take the initiative to cut my number of mods in half to accommodate for such a wonderful thing.

The GUI currently has the ability to generate a test cloud right above the launchpad. I need feedback though to see if there are any changes I need to make.

The new additions are very nice and helpful for playing around with the clouds. One thing i noticed for the reset option. Once i mess around with the layer options->apply and save and then reset the planet, although the planet resets the settings are not reverted to their original value. If possible fix it

Ah... I see what you mean...

You should really start putting the changes made to each version on the front page. Getting difficult to find the changes in the thread itself. ;)

Help people out what is different between versions.

Good job on the mod though. Excellent work!!

You should really start putting the changes made to each version on the front page. Getting difficult to find the changes in the thread itself. ;)

Help people out what is different between versions.

Good job on the mod though. Excellent work!!

Just added a quick summary. Thanks for the suggestion.

At a certain zoom level this here happens. Cannot tell if it has anything to do with this mod, but it seems to me to be the most likely cause.

Also there is "wobbly mosaic artefacting" going on in the clouds.

http://i.imgur.com/RNHDfm9.png

Haha... that isn't my mod... I have seen things like that on reddit from stock installations... and you have a mod called "Precise Node" in the picture...

You fixed it, just as I was getting used to the permanent polar storm....

zxFtfbl.png

Will have to check the new version out.

Also, been looking up how to make seamless textures, so I might have a go at improving that city detail texture again in several days time.

Edited by Tw1

Are you using RT2 there?
Yes, I am. That's where lines are from.

Wait, so those lines are NOT the problem you're reporting? I don't see anything weird in your picture except the lines. You may want to be a bit more specific about the problem you're having with the clouds and/or city lights.

Wait, so those lines are NOT the problem you're reporting? I don't see anything weird in your picture except the lines. You may want to be a bit more specific about the problem you're having with the clouds and/or city lights.

The lines - orbits, comm-paths, even the dots from the node - are getting "blown up" kinda like a 90's Star Wars game laser bolts look instead of the usual narrow line. When I zoom back in they revert back - just a flick of the mouse wheel really.

Also my X key refused to work and ALT+L did not do anything yesterday ... had to click decouple the insertion stage I used for the initial landing and activate the next engine ... during a Mun landing for Kerbs sake!

My mousewheel broke too - I think I will need to call a hunter to catch that gremlin ...

Meaning, I will get back here this afternoon after checking again.

The GUI currently has the ability to generate a test cloud right above the launchpad. I need feedback though to see if there are any changes I need to make.

Great work with the volumetric clouds! Is it possible to programatically alter the shade of the cloud components based on their distance from the top/sun-facing side? The pure-whiteness gives the impression of smoke rather than a cloud.

Practice-Cloud-in-the-Sky.jpg

i installed at first version 2, than i jumped on version 4 uninstalling version 2. I have to say that version 2 to me was better. Version 4 clouds looks more pixelated and talking about performance i have to say he sucked a lot of FPS to me. My game always run really smooth but when i installed version 4 i can count myself the frame on screen during take off. I still have to try version 5