[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

7 hours ago, Hyomoto said:

There may be other possibilities.  I had a strange issue creep up a few weeks ago where KSP kept crashing as soon as it would load my game.  I didn't pick up on the most obvious visual cue immediately, the planet on the main menu had shadows but no clouds, but simply putting a fresh copy of the mod fixed it.  I really have no idea why that happened but sometimes deleting the offending mod and reinstalling it is all it takes.

I did that several times, via CKAN.

this was a game started on a Windows system, and just moved over to a Linux box.  Other than EVE, it works great.  Looks like I'll have to make a copy and start deleting a few mods at a time until I get this figured out.

So I just totally reinstalled the game and all the mods.

Still happens.

I did find that by removing the FilterExtensions, then it works.  But in a separate install, when only EVE and filterExtensions are installed, also works.

Very puzzled, continuing to research this.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Well, I think I ran into some sort of internal limitation, even on Linux 64 bit.  I have 182 mods installed.  I got the same problem when I installed a couple of new mods,without EVE.  After quite a bit of install/uninstall of different mods, it seems that there is some limit that I'm hitting.

It's not memory, it's crashing when only about 1-2 gig is in use.  It's not video memory, only abut 850 meg of 2 gig on the video card is begin used

I'm going to head over to the Linux threads (although they are badly broken) and see if anyone there has a clue

After several hours, I finally figured out the problem.

Apparently the nVidia drivers have a some new features for OpenGL threaded optimizations.  Once I enabled them everything works nicely.

The option (when running from a command line) is:

export __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1

I'll be posting a complete script for starting KSP on Linux soon in the Linux threads.

EVE seems to trigger a problem when this option isn't set. 

For details, look at this page: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia_threaded_opts&num=1

for complete details

I'm turning the biggest textures to the cubemap system and I must say this: congrats @rbray89, looks much better than the old system and with a sightly less memmory usage. The terminators and the colours of the clouds seem much more nice and accurate (not so dark at the sunsets/sunrises as with the "base" system"). Also, as you pointed time ago, the map look less deformed and "clean" with an equivalent texture quality.

Very well done!

I've tried the last github master version, but I still have the problem with the clouds altitude. Is this known?

The clouds (not the shadows) dissapears in the change from Scaled Space to the PQS scales. So in Kerbin, as example, we have a gap in the clouds from the 160000 meters (end of scaled space)  to the 55000 meters (PQS complete "deploy").

I've tried to change the heigths with Kopernicus. Changing the fade of ScaledVersion to 159000-160000 (instead 55000 to 60000) you can avoid the clouds gap but -obviously- then you have a gap where the terrain dissapears in the range of 60000 to 130000 meters (which is the fading of the PQS scale).

This doesn't seem to left any error in the debug but I'll try to leave you here my logs ASAP.

16 minutes ago, Proot said:

I've tried the last github master version, but I still have the problem with the clouds altitude. Is this known?

The clouds (not the shadows) dissapears in the change from Scaled Space to the PQS scales. So in Kerbin, as example, we have a gap in the clouds from the 160000 meters (end of scaled space)  to the 55000 meters (PQS complete "deploy").

I've tried to change the heigths with Kopernicus. Changing the fade of ScaledVersion to 159000-160000 (instead 55000 to 60000) you can avoid the clouds gap but -obviously- then you have a gap where the terrain dissapears in the range of 60000 to 130000 meters (which is the fading of the PQS scale).

This doesn't seem to left any error in the debug but I'll try to leave you here my logs ASAP.

Have you tried setting everything to a fixed number?

For example 160000 or 55000?

That shouldn't leave any gaps, but the transition will probably lose the fade and skip directly between pqs and scaledversion

I know @Poodmund reported this multiple times, maybe he already tried this...

If you need help with the cfg let me know, I'm happy to share the few things I know

Edited by Sigma88

4 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

Have you tried setting everything to a fixed number?

For example 160000 or 55000?

That shouldn't leave any gaps, but the transition will probably lose the fade and skip directly between pqs and scaledversion

I know @Poodmund reported this multiple times, maybe he already tried this...

If you need help with the cfg let me know, I'm happy to share the few things I know

Ugh, I've spent a month precisely working in avoid the stock gap in the change from SS to PQS. That solution would make the change even more harsh than stock. Don't seem suitable for me.
Anyways I'm not requesting a solution right now, I just want to report the issue and help to solve it. Many thanks for your help anyways! ;)

It happens when the PQS Fade is initiated, the Cloud Layer renderer seems to stop working until PQS has been 100% faded in. I reported this with a description, logs and a video a while back but not sure whether it was seen. Anyhow, I will log it as an issue on the Git repo.

AFAIK, it might be worth waiting for a fix to be committed rather than trying to fudge KSP's own workings to get around it as it may introduce more issues than solve.

Just now, Poodmund said:

It happens when the PQS Fade is initiated, the Cloud Layer renderer seems to stop working until PQS has been 100% faded in. I reported this with a description, logs and a video a while back but not sure whether it was seen. Anyhow, I will log it as an issue on the Git repo.

AFAIK, it might be worth waiting for a fix to be committed rather than trying to fudge KSP's own workings to get around it as it may introduce more issues than solve.

Rbray is pretty bussy lately with Dynamic Texture Loader, but I bet he gonna fix this as soon as he can. Anyways +1: IMHO is better to wait for a fix than just try to avoid it (if this were avoidable would not be an issue).

3 minutes ago, Proot said:

Rbray is pretty bussy lately with Dynamic Texture Loader, but I bet he gonna fix this as soon as he can. Anyways +1: IMHO is better to wait for a fix than just try to avoid it (if this were avoidable would not be an issue).

Of course, I know that rbray is also contributing to Kerbal Krash System quite a lot too so... yeah. With 1.1 Soon™ also I would not put it past mod authors to be taking a backseat until its out to be honest. I know I would.

Anyway, issue logged, if you have any further details you'd like to share then leave a comment on the repo: https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/issues/42

EDIT: Also @Proot, congrats on your 1000th post above too. :D

Edited by Poodmund

On 1/15/2016 at 10:59 AM, Paul_Sawyer said:

From what I know it is an EVE issue and it is fixed in the current dev version.

Hey, @rbray89, I think I found a way to reproduce that annoying bug when, after reverting a flight, camera is stack below the ground:
dyX0COy.png

For aircrafts (launched from SPH) it happens if you revert a flight after flying and getting back to the ground by either smashing into it or landing softly. It never happens if you revert during the flight itself, or if you revert a craft that didn't take off the runway.

For rockets (launched from VAB) it happens if you revert a flight that went past 10 km altitude mark. It also sometimes happens if you revert a rocket standing on a launchpad, however I didn't manage to find a sequence for that case - it appears to happen quiet randomly.

Here are the logs of my tests, so that you can get a better idea:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wic2twoz28dj3o7/output_log%20EVE-Revert-aircrafts.txt?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mqdlmp8obddrufp/output_log%20EVE-Revert-Rockets.txt?dl=0

No mods except for EVE - last dev version from Github.

I hope it will be of some help for you.

@rbray89 Still getting this issue with the camera. Are you aware this is still happening?

Hey @rbray89 the cubemap textures that you provide. What is the reasoning they are colored in the png file? I'm trying to convert my textures over to cubemap but it's not reading the files I have correctly (I named them the exact same as the ones you provided and just used the same config).

11 hours ago, Nhawks17 said:

Hey @rbray89 the cubemap textures that you provide. What is the reasoning they are colored in the png file? I'm trying to convert my textures over to cubemap but it's not reading the files I have correctly (I named them the exact same as the ones you provided and just used the same config).

I'm guessing: in that way, using the color channels, you can have more than one texture in the same file.

EDIT: I was having the same problem and all was my fault in pqs.cfg and textures.cfg. Once you start you game, open the EVE GUI, select the correct cubemap format (when the line becomes white instead red), then re-save your cloud configs from there. Should work in the next start.

Edited by Proot

11 minutes ago, Proot said:

I'm guessing: in that way, using the color channels, you can have more than one texture in the same file.

EDIT: I was having the same problem and all was my fault in pqs.cfg and textures.cfg. Once you start you game, open the EVE GUI, select the correct cubemap format (when the line becomes white instead red), then re-save your cloud configs from there. Should work in the next start.

Hmm, I tried messing with the texture format and it didn't do anything I'll look at the pqs file and see if it's in the correct format.

9 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

Hmm, I tried messing with the texture format and it didn't do anything I'll look at the pqs file and see if it's in the correct format.

I'm using the same format as in my old files. Transparent PNG. As far as I know The 2D layers can't be compressed.

BTW, @rbray89 I've tried the last master and the cloud gaps at mid heights seems solved, many thanks!

2 hours ago, Proot said:

I'm using the same format as in my old files. Transparent PNG. As far as I know The 2D layers can't be compressed.

BTW, @rbray89 I've tried the last master and the cloud gaps at mid heights seems solved, many thanks!

Hmmm, I did leave compression on so maybe that is the issue. I'll have to poke it.