[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

8 minutes ago, sDaZe said:

Also Rbay, did you change the jool texture? It looks so much better. 

Yup! It the clouds also hug the body much closer than before for a much nicer overall look.

4 hours ago, rbray89 said:

Its also distance to the sun... Imagine if you took the image I sent and stretched it out so the sun was really far away... the umbra and penumbra would basically touch.
That's what the difference between Kerbin and Duna. Duna is farther away from the sun, so its moon blocks more light in a tighter region.

I understand. Thank you for explaining this. It is really awesome to learn about all of this. 

TIL about umbras and penumbras.

For those interested, I did some solar physics problems to back up what rbray89 said... And I only got Kerbin done in about 2 hours. It was truly a pain in the rear.

Essentially Kerbin has a Penumbra of 1.832° starting at the moon (12,000km away) and an umbra of 2.046° starting at a focal point 1,605km away from the planet's surface. The ratio of the umbra shadow to the perumbra shadow on the planet is about 1:20. The perumbra is a subtle gradient as a shadow, but is noticeable in shadows in real siruations.

With Duna, whose moon is 1/4 of the distance Mun is from Kerbin, and orbits almost twice as far from the Sun, the shadow casted will be sharper, with shallower angles than Kerbin's shadow. Therefore the shadow is bigger (relative to Ike's radius), and the perumbra is smaller (in this case hardly noticeable).

P.S. Physics can be very hard.

1 hour ago, MisterFister said:

Very well.  I did read the OP and browsed the most recent several pages here at the end prior to posting my question.  On your polite suggestion here, I revisited the OP again.  I see your disclaimer asking for screenshots (didn't really seem to apply to my question as I wasn't asking for troubleshooting assistance) but I don't see any discussion as to architecture.  I do see a separate link to the WIP, of course.  What am I missing in the OP, please?

That is to say the OP has both current releases:

KSP Pre-Release:  https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/raw/master/AnyCPU-EVE.zip

Download: https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/releases/tag/EVE-1.05-4

The Pre-Release version as the name suggests is for any CPU architecture. The 1.05 version as you have noticed is advertised as x86. It may work on x64 architectures, but I don't make any claim or guarantees that it will work. You'll have to download and try whichever one applies to your KSP version as is appropriate. I don't mean to be impolite, just terse due to years of technical writing :)

Assuming the link in the OP points to the very latest 1.1 version, I'm still getting the same problems I mentioned before, so I'll post screenshots...

The shadows from clouds shade planes that sprites are drawn on. Look at the water tower light in this shot.

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

The daytime city texture shows up as glowing at night, and the nighttime texture seems to be ignored (or sometimes mixed in as a buggy square pattern).

The city lights really need a maximum distance setting like they used to have in the older EVE, too. You shouldn't be able to see city lights from the moon!

13 minutes ago, Notorious_BJG said:

I understand. Thank you for explaining this. It is really awesome to learn about all of this. 

TIL about umbras and penumbras.

For those interested, I did some solar physics problems to back up what rbray89 said... And I only got Kerbin done in about 2 hours. It was truly a pain in the rear.

Essentially Kerbin has a Penumbra of 1.832° starting at the moon (12,000km away) and an umbra of 2.046° starting at a focal point 1,605km away from the planet's surface. The ratio of the umbra shadow to the perumbra shadow on the planet is about 1:20. The perumbra is a subtle gradient as a shadow, but is noticeable in shadows in real siruations.

With Duna, whose moon is 1/4 of the distance Mun is from Kerbin, and orbits almost twice as far from the Sun, the shadow casted will be sharper, with shallower angles than Kerbin's shadow. Therefore the shadow is bigger (relative to Ike's radius), and the perumbra is smaller (in this case hardly noticeable).

P.S. Physics can be very hard.

This sounds about right. I use an intersection calculation to determine the ratio of sunlight visible to blocked rather than calculate the angles and have to perform expensive trig operations:

v is the vertex of the point we want to shade
R is the sun radius
r is the eclipsing body radius
P is the position of the sun
p is the position of the ecliping body

inline half BodyShadow(float3 v, float R, float r, float3 P, float3 p)
	{

float3 D = P - v;

float a = PI*(r*r);
		float3 d = p - v;

float tc = dot(d, normalize(D));
		float tc2 = (tc*tc);
		float L = sqrt(dot(d, d) - tc2);

float scale = tc / length(D); //Scaled Sun Area to match plane of intersecting body
		float Rs = R * scale;
		float A = PI*(Rs*Rs);

float s = saturate((r + Rs - L) / (2 * min(r, Rs)));
		s = (INV_PI*asin((2 * s) - 1)) + .5;
		return lerp(1, saturate((A - (s*a)) / A), step(r, tc)*saturate(a));
	}

9 minutes ago, CrashTestDanny said:

Wow - this mod looks really neat!  I have one question - what kind of memory footprint does it have?

Thanks,

Danny

Not insignificant. You'll want to use 1.1 x64 version.

7 minutes ago, Rhedd said:

Assuming the link in the OP points to the very latest 1.1 version, I'm still getting the same problems I mentioned before, so I'll post screenshots...

The shadows from clouds shade planes that sprites are drawn on. Look at the water tower light in this shot.

The daytime city texture shows up as glowing at night, and the nighttime texture seems to be ignored (or sometimes mixed in as a buggy square pattern).

The city lights really need a maximum distance setting like they used to have in the older EVE, too. You shouldn't be able to see city lights from the moon!

The shadow issue is due to KSP not adding proper shader tags to things. I can try and fix that. 

You sure you downloaded the most recent version? I thought I had fixed the issues people were having with city lights. Guess not. When this happens do the lights behave correctly in map-view?

37 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

That is to say the OP has both current releases:

KSP Pre-Release:  https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/raw/master/AnyCPU-EVE.zip

Download: https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/releases/tag/EVE-1.05-4

The Pre-Release version as the name suggests is for any CPU architecture. The 1.05 version as you have noticed is advertised as x86. It may work on x64 architectures, but I don't make any claim or guarantees that it will work. You'll have to download and try whichever one applies to your KSP version as is appropriate. I don't mean to be impolite, just terse due to years of technical writing :)

Thank you for this clarification.

And for the record, I work in law.  With legal writing, descriptions are VERY terse -- but so thorough that they become bloated again.

So I feel your pain.  :)

37 minutes ago, CrashTestDanny said:

Wow - this mod looks really neat!  I have one question - what kind of memory footprint does it have?

27 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

Not insignificant.

Ha, you weren't lying!  This made me chuckle.

@CrashTestDanny, you got the double negative, right?  This mod consumes memory for breakfast.

1 hour ago, rbray89 said:

The shadow issue is due to KSP not adding proper shader tags to things. I can try and fix that. 

You sure you downloaded the most recent version? I thought I had fixed the issues people were having with city lights. Guess not. When this happens do the lights behave correctly in map-view?

Definitely downloaded the latest one from...

https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/raw/master/AnyCPU-EVE.zip

I double checked.

The city lights do not behave correctly in the map view, either. It's a consistent problem from orbit, in the map from a ship, and in the tracking station. Also, if I just use one map (either one) instead of a map in both light/dark slots, neither one will show up at all.

I also found a new problem with clouds and eclipses:

I feel bad posting so many bugs and feel like I should say how much more AWESOME your work makes KSP, so here are a few screenshots of things that AREN'T problems. ^_^ Thank you!

The oceans of Laythe. Notice the rim of Jool in the sky. (Scatterer helps, too, but it wouldn't be good without the clouds!)

Edited by Rhedd

1 hour ago, rbray89 said:

Yours is scatterer.

I have scatterer installed and up to date (redownloaded both EVE and scatterer with the latest builds before capturing that image).

I also have TextureReplacer replacing the cloud and planet textures with a custom Renaissance/Endraxial combo texture pack and the Renaissance cloud config that worked really well together on a 1.0.5 install.  That may be part (most all) of the issue I'm seeing with the shadow as well, but I don't remember messing with any scatterer settings.

Oh well.  Back to the "Make KSP prettier" drawing board.

13 minutes ago, Rhedd said:

Definitely downloaded the latest one from...

https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/raw/master/AnyCPU-EVE.zip

I double checked.

The city lights do not behave correctly in the map view, either. It's a consistent problem from orbit, in the map from a ship, and in the tracking station. Also, if I just use one map (either one) instead of a map in both light/dark slots, neither one will show up at all.

I also found a new problem with clouds and eclipses:

I feel bad posting so many bugs and feel like I should say how much more AWESOME your work makes KSP, so here are a few screenshots of things that AREN'T problems. ^_^ Thank you!

The oceans of Laythe. Notice the rim of Jool in the sky. (Scatterer helps, too, but it wouldn't be good without the clouds!)

Need logs! :)

39 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

Need logs! :)

Oh, boy. I know I'm going to look like an idiot for asking this (I hate looking like an idiot), but what log file do you need and how do you want me to share it with you?

Any particular way of generating the log file (fresh game, no other mods, etc.) that would help you?

I did look for answers to this before posting, but I'm still looking like an idiot.

Edited by Rhedd

9 minutes ago, Rhedd said:

Oh, boy. I know I'm going to look like an idiot for asking this (I hate looking like an idiot), but what log file do you need and how do you want me to share it with you?

Any particular way of generating the log file (fresh game, no other mods, etc.) that would help you?

I did look for answers to this before posting, but I'm still looking like an idiot.

Edited by Berlin

Hi, great mod but I am getting some visual glitches, for instance most of the clouds are black when from distance and white when close (volumetric kicks in?)

Duna and Laythe are the same...

Also the planet EVE is just black, the fourth picture it´s from space on the "bright side"..

My log file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/94515339/Kerbal/KSP-EVE.log

3 hours ago, MisterFister said:
4 hours ago, rbray89 said:

Not insignificant.

Ha, you weren't lying!  This made me chuckle.

@CrashTestDanny, you got the double negative, right?  This mod consumes memory for breakfast.

Definitely got it.  I have lots of memory (32G), but 1.1 x64 still seems to have an upper limit and some pesky memory leaks, so as good as this looks, I'm thinking I'll wait for the non-leaking version before I install it.

Danny

1 hour ago, JumperBR said:

Hi, great mod but I am getting some visual glitches, for instance most of the clouds are black when from distance and white when close (volumetric kicks in?)

Duna and Laythe are the same...

Also the planet EVE is just black, the fourth picture it´s from space on the "bright side"..

My log file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/94515339/Kerbal/KSP-EVE.log

Disregard what I said earlier.  Just update your EVE rbray fixed that issue earlier today

Edited by Berlin
Nhawks17 corrected me

11 minutes ago, Berlin said:

The Mega link is for scatterer. sorry I didnt mention that earlier. scatterer was causing the dark planet bug.

Actually the dark planet bug was fixed by rbray earlier today. That mega link blackrack posted yesterday was a dud since he accidentally used the wrong EVE version (if I'm recalling my information correctly).

1 minute ago, Nhawks17 said:

Actually the dark planet bug was fixed by rbray earlier today. That mega link blackrack posted yesterday was a dud since he accidentally used the wrong EVE version (if I'm recalling my information correctly).

Ahh well thanks for setting me straight!  Its getting confusing with all the fixes lol I love that you guys work so closely together though. I try to keep up best I can. Next time I'll leave the help to the experts ;)