[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

Everything still looks good on my end (OS-X) with the update. Can't say I noticed a performance improvement, but the KSP oceans are the biggest drain on my framerate anyway (and I've never taken much of a hit from clouds & lights). (Edit - never mind, see next post.)

I'm a bit curious about the "hole" that forms in the clouds around the ship as I pass through cloud layers though. Is that intended? What are the side-effects should I decide to go and tweak your config/code to not do that? Collisions?

Edited by Cydonian Monk

rbray: I'm getting a weird cloud issue, where clouds seem to stop along a rectangular edge (occurs only at certain altitudes). This seems possibly related to the "fade out" thing.

didqjt7l.png

I've been messing with detail distance and rim power/falloff to try to get them working better with RSS (and to minimize fadeout, since with RSS a *giant* area fades out).

Relevant:

shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 2
falloffScale = 300
detailDistance = 0.005
minimumLight = 0.15
}
underside_shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 1.8
falloffScale = 1000
detailDistance = 0.01
minimumLight = 0.5
}

Scratch the "All Quiet on the Cloud Front" comment from earlier. With the current version, all of my craft in interplanetary space are in a strange state of existence/non-existence. They remain in the persistence file, but when switched to they're simply not there. (The craft fails to unpack? At the very least it fails to render.) The only comment in the ksp.log after switching to the ship view is a rather generic Null Reference Exception (see below), and I do not get an output.log file (no crash). This only occurs with the updated version of your plugins and resolves if I remove them. (I performed a clean install of VE and then copied over my updated textures, which are mostly just Proots and/or Astronmer's.)

Relevant ksp.log lines:

[LOG 00:50:35.450] ------------------- initializing flight mode... ------------------
[LOG 00:50:38.376] FF: EventObserver:: OnGameStateCreated 12080410.160854, game status: ONGOING
[LOG 00:50:38.461] Target vessel index: 239 vessel count: 257
[LOG 00:50:38.464] [FLIGHT GLOBALS]: Switching To Vessel Eve Gambit ----------------------
[EXC 00:50:38.467] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

That's where the log ends.

I can provide a copy of my persistence file if needed, but this happens to all craft that are in Solar orbit. (Or that were in solar orbit as/of plugin install.) May be easy to reproduce....

It might be a couple days until I'm on my KSP computer to test again, as the middle of this week is rather busy.

Scratch the "All Quiet on the Cloud Front" comment from earlier. With the current version, all of my craft in interplanetary space are in a strange state of existence/non-existence. They remain in the persistence file, but when switched to they're simply not there. (The craft fails to unpack? At the very least it fails to render.) The only comment in the ksp.log after switching to the ship view is a rather generic Null Reference Exception (see below), and I do not get an output.log file (no crash). This only occurs with the updated version of your plugins and resolves if I remove them. (I performed a clean install of VE and then copied over my updated textures, which are mostly just Proots and/or Astronmer's.)

Relevant ksp.log lines:

[LOG 00:50:35.450] ------------------- initializing flight mode... ------------------
[LOG 00:50:38.376] FF: EventObserver:: OnGameStateCreated 12080410.160854, game status: ONGOING
[LOG 00:50:38.464] [FLIGHT GLOBALS]: Switching To Vessel Eve Gambit ----------------------
[EXC 00:50:38.467] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

I can provide a copy of my persistence file if needed, but this happens to all craft that are in Solar orbit. (Or that were in solar orbit as/of plugin install.) May be easy to reproduce....

It might be a couple days until I'm on my KSP computer to test again, as the middle of this week is rather busy.

In KSP_data there is an output_log.txt file. What does it say about the error there?

Relevant ksp.log lines:

Looks like it might not be my mod. Just uninstalled and found the same issue. Go to Map view and then back. the vessel will re-appear. I uploaded a new version that fixes a possible null reference exception though.

Huh. Weird, that problem usually arises because Windows locks down Program Files.

rbray: here's a clearer picture.

http://i.imgur.com/KFTXzwil.png

Any ideas?

Weird... I thought I replied. Anyways, it is likely due to the size of the body and the rim transparency I have in the shader (ie. bigger radius == view is more parallel to surface). I don't think I have the parameters exposed, because the settings I have work for the bodies at default. I'll have to look into how to fix this for RSS.

rbray: I'm getting a weird cloud issue, where clouds seem to stop along a rectangular edge (occurs only at certain altitudes). This seems possibly related to the "fade out" thing.

http://i.imgur.com/didqjt7l.png

I've been messing with detail distance and rim power/falloff to try to get them working better with RSS (and to minimize fadeout, since with RSS a *giant* area fades out).

Relevant:

shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 2
falloffScale = 300
detailDistance = 0.005
minimumLight = 0.15
}
PQS_shader_floats *Needs to be PQS_shader_floats instead of underside_shader_floats*
{
falloffPower = 1.8
falloffScale = 1000
detailDistance = 0.01
minimumLight = 0.5
}

Found 1 problem Noted above in your quote, another is that the gui won't save the floats quite right, so you'll have to edit configs by hand for now.

In KSP_data there is an output_log.txt file. What does it say about the error there?

I don't have a KSP_data (OS-X) and I didn't get an output.log in the usual place. Sorry.

I'll give your updated version a shot if I get a chance later tonight. It's definitely not an issue with the view being zoomed too far out - I tried that - and the only thing that changed is your mod. Swapping between map view and ship view had no effect. If it still happens I'll try to reproduce it with no other mods installed.

I don't have a KSP_data (OS-X) and I didn't get an output.log in the usual place. Sorry.

I'll give your updated version a shot if I get a chance later tonight. It's definitely not an issue with the view being zoomed too far out - I tried that - and the only thing that changed is your mod. If it still happens I'll try to reproduce it with no other mods installed.

Try going to map-view and then back again. Solved it for me. Doesn't look to be an issue with my mod as far as I can tell though.

hmm just updateing the .dll made it not work have to see whats changed.

found it your .cfg for new update have altitude where as the old .cfg use radius ill try to see if just changeing that will make mod work again.

btw using astrominers pack so that means all packs right now wont work unless thats changed from radius to altitude.

bah cant figure out what the alt for the other layers would be at sigh.

Edited by sidfu

Ok, then try that in combination with the new version.

Gave the updated 6.8.1 version a quick test and that appears to have resolved the issue. (No NullReference, and rendering of the vessel continues as expected.) I also tested the "broken" 6.8.0 version in a clean install of KSP just to confirm that it was not an issue with mods interacting/conflicting, and the lack-of-vessel-rendering issue was definitely a result of this mod. Presumably the change you made to OverlayMgr.cs fixed it, but I haven't the time at the moment to really confirm that, and it doesn't matter much as it now works. ;)

Thanks!

Gave the updated 6.8.1 version a quick test and that appears to have resolved the issue. (No NullReference, and rendering of the vessel continues as expected.) I also tested the "broken" 6.8.0 version in a clean install of KSP just to confirm that it was not an issue with mods interacting/conflicting, and the lack-of-vessel-rendering issue was definitely a result of this mod. Presumably the change you made to OverlayMgr.cs fixed it, but I haven't the time at the moment to really confirm that, and it doesn't matter much as it now works. ;)

Coming in late, but I was having the exact same problem as Cydonian Monk compounded by Enhanced Navball throwing errors because the craft was there-but-not-there. 6.8.1 seems to have fixed it.