[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

City lights are not working and the clouds on Duna are red.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B783Ii_SFm7ZR3ZIZHJhR2JTQXM/edit?usp=sharing

Clouds on Duna should be red. More like dust clouds. Are you certain you can't see city lights? Are you using RSS? At the moment city lights won't work very well for RSS as the sphere is so huge, you will only get them from orbit.

rbray: Any chance we'll see the return of bump maps or is that out for good?

I think they are out for good, at least for the time being. May bring them back in the future, but don't count on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing happens when I press reset to default?

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing happens when I press reset to default...

You need to be more specific. Are you not seeing clouds? Did you read the FAQ?

Clouds on Duna should be red. More like dust clouds. Are you certain you can't see city lights? Are you using RSS? At the moment city lights won't work very well for RSS as the sphere is so huge, you will only get them from orbit.

Ok, I see city lights once I switched to a flight, but not if I go to the tracking station right after loading the save. After being on a flight, the tracking station displays city lights.

On my mind for future releases.

Yeah, I have a few ideas for the shading of the clouds. Right now it is just a VERY simple lighting element.

What have you got planned just out of interest?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayleigh_scattering <<<---- would be awesome :cool:

That happens in stock KSP. The horizon gets red just like IRL, very obvious in RSS for example.

That happens in stock KSP. The horizon gets red just like IRL, very obvious in RSS for example.

Yes but light cast from the sun during sunset doesn't actually change colour, it's always white (they just added this effect on the horizon from orbit to mimic the real thing). I was hoping for some way in which it could cast these colours onto clouds during sunset. Would look fantastic with multiple layers, especially if we had bump maps.. even more so if the volumetric particles took on these colours and cast long shadows X) ..one can only dream..

On my mind for future releases.

Yeah, I have a few ideas for the shading of the clouds. Right now it is just a VERY simple lighting element.

What have you got planned just out of interest?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayleigh_scattering <<<---- would be awesome :cool:

I started with volume atmosphere (ie. Distance Fog, thick atmosphere, etc.) But was annoyed to find that the terrain shader wasn't in the right RenderType for the depth buffer, so I am no working on replacing the terrain shader. Something I've wanted to do anyways.

I'm also in need of an answer from Content Creators (Proot, Astronomer, Thesonicgalaxy, etc.) I'm looking at making the cloud layer a PQS element so it fades with the terrain, and adding a cloud component to the scaled space shader. How would you guys feel about that? It would mean that the z-writing issues *SHOULD* be no longer an issue, on the other hand, you would likely be limited to 3 layers, volumetric layers & atmosphere fog, and some things (like the rim glowing) may have to be added as a separate component later on.

The reason I want to do this is to make them much, much easier for Squad to implement in the stock game if they chose to do so. Right now my biggest concern with this is Jool, as it has no PQS and I'm not certain with the implications of adding one just yet.

I started with volume atmosphere (ie. Distance Fog, thick atmosphere, etc.) But was annoyed to find that the terrain shader wasn't in the right RenderType for the depth buffer, so I am no working on replacing the terrain shader. Something I've wanted to do anyways.

I'm also in need of an answer from Content Creators (Proot, Astronomer, Thesonicgalaxy, etc.) I'm looking at making the cloud layer a PQS element so it fades with the terrain, and adding a cloud component to the scaled space shader. How would you guys feel about that? It would mean that the z-writing issues *SHOULD* be no longer an issue, on the other hand, you would likely be limited to 3 layers, volumetric layers & atmosphere fog, and some things (like the rim glowing) may have to be added as a separate component later on.

The reason I want to do this is to make them much, much easier for Squad to implement in the stock game if they chose to do so. Right now my biggest concern with this is Jool, as it has no PQS and I'm not certain with the implications of adding one just yet.

NathanKell say me in the RC thread that RSS have a system to tweak density, height, and color in the atmospheres. Maybe you two should talk to see if those features (or something similar) can be implemented in EVE with your objectives.

Your previous version was more "flexible"... this is faster, better and stronger; volumetrics and the new features are just the awesomeness, despite the lack of auroras or rings features. If I can be honest, a future reduction of this mod's features and capabilities, despite your good intentions, it would surely be perceived as a backtrack (is that a correct expression?).

Anyways any effort to make this stock count with my full support.

Edited by Proot

NathanKell say me in the RC thread that RSS have a system to tweak density, height, and color in the atmospheres. Maybe you two should talk to see if those features (or something similar) can be implemented in EVE with your objectives.

Your previous version was more "flexible"... this is faster, better and stronger; volumetrics and the new features are just the awesomeness, despite the lack of auroras or rings features. If I can be honest, a future reduction of this mod's features and capabilities, despite your good intentions, it would surely be perceived as a backtrack (is that a correct expression?).

Anyways any effort to make this stock count with my full support.

True. There is some trade-off between flexibility and specialization. After the fog and terrain shaders are complete, I'll be back looking at auroras and such effects.

Hey rbray89, I have not been active for a while (since working on the first 8k NASA clouds back in December...), but now I am getting back to KSP, and I can not live without your clouds. But I have a serious problem (all this with clean install, no other mod, and the clean install running without issues): At the very beginning, everything works perfectly, but after a few scene changes, my cloud layer start to show graphical glitches, and also already from the start, my log file is filled with hundreds of lines saying "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object". See example screenshots below, and I also put a .log file here: http://ster.kuleuven.be/~peterp/KSP/KSP_Apr182014201647.log

Maybe an idea what can be going wrong? Not a memory issue for sure, the game without other mods is running at around 1.2 GB... Is it just me, or anyone else have seen similar issues? It is now very difficult to live without this mod :(

screenshot6.png

screenshot7.png

screenshot8.png

The clouds are speeding up tremendously whenever I turn on physwarp. It's quite silly flying an airplane eastwards and getting overtaken by clouds. Does this happen only to me?

The clouds are a bit fast to begin with. The cloud speed scales with the current warp setting.

Ok, I did rescale the 8k to 4k, and so far I did not manage to break things graphically, which is great :) But the log is still full with those lines... Does the low-res release only differ in the Kerbin cloud resolution, or should I try that too? In any case, I can live with a spammed log, but not without the clouds :)

Ok, I did rescale the 8k to 4k, and so far I did not manage to break things graphically, which is great :) But the log is still full with those lines... Does the low-res release only differ in the Kerbin cloud resolution, or should I try that too? In any case, I can live with a spammed log, but not without the clouds :)

The null reference exception is from the KSC view, and only occurs while loading. I forgot to add a check in the last update. It is harmless.

The only difference in the low res is the Kerbin1.png texture. :)

rbray: you're welcome to grab the AtmosphereFromGround code in RSS if you like.

Also, one thing about cloud speed / position. Might there be some way (or do you already do this?) to save the position of the cloud layers to persistence? It's weird to warp until you get clear skies, save, then when you launch KSP again it's back to cloudy.