[1.1.x] Space Shuttle Engines (2016-07-03)

sarbian

Which parts of the pack do you use?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Which parts of the pack do you use?

• X2 Engine
    • BB engines
    • Aerospike
    • Attachment points
    • Auto Stagers
    • Fuel Controllers
    • Radio Controller
    • Tank System
    • OMS system

Tested it and D/V Stats in Mechjeb, latest released version, are broken with this new version for me.

The FX for the Shuttle Engines is a little bit small (length of the exaution) in comparsion to the real one and the one used in the past and... very to much blue... for my liking.

Strange. Haven't had this ever. Can you provide a craft file (minimal if possible)?

As no-one else has seen this "bug" I unzipped a new clean version of KSP 0.23.5 to a new folder location and installed only Space Shuttle Engines, no other mods. I could not reproduce the problem.

Returning to my main heavily modded game I installed your latest update and alas, the problem is still present. However, from this test it is clear that it is being caused by some interaction with something else in my main game build. I am pretty certain that if I sent you a craft file that you would not see it. I have suspicions about what other mod might be involved. If I can find time (changing jobs right now in RL) I will build on the clean install, adding mods back in step by step to discover when the problem is getting introduced.

I love this mod. But have such a nightmare using it with FAR

Basically it always does an immediate backflip despite my best efforts

Stupid realistic drag models

I have to comment on this one! I find this mod to be by far the best way to make shuttles that work well with FAR (and DRE). The not-so-stupid realistic drag models are exactly what makes this mod shine above the other shuttle mods. Going up is indeed somewhat more tricky (try making your gravity turn late), but in my experience, coming back down is so much more safe, sensible and comfortable. Using this pack I have built about 6 shuttle designs of all different sizes and roles that work well with FAR and most of them can be flown reliably by MechJeb.

Tested it and D/V Stats in Mechjeb, latest released version, are broken with this new version for me.

The FX for the Shuttle Engines is a little bit small (length of the exaution) in comparsion to the real one and the one used in the past and... very to much blue... for my liking.

Hi,

what exactly did you test? What craft file did you use to test it? Could you describe the problem as detailed as possible?

Thanks!

OK. After a long diagnosis I have finally found the source of my problem. Modular Fuel Tanks latest version has missed the resource definition for "Cryogenic" tanks. All the tanks in Space Shuttle Engines are defined by Modular Fuel tanks as "Cryogenic" so they are all broken. Looking at the tank definitions in that mod I see some of KW's and NP's tanks are similarly broken. I am taking this discussion now to Modular Fuel Tanks thread.

If anyone else with the Modular Fuel tanks mod has been seeing this mods tanks randomly exploding then the simplest quick fix for now is to delete the file "SpaceShuttleEngines_modularFuelTanks.cfg" from within the ModularFuelTanks folder.

dtobi, thanks again for your help.

OK. After a long diagnosis I have finally found the source of my problem. Modular Fuel Tanks latest version has missed the resource definition for "Cryogenic" tanks. All the tanks in Space Shuttle Engines are defined by Modular Fuel tanks as "Cryogenic" so they are all broken. Looking at the tank definitions in that mod I see some of KW's and NP's tanks are similarly broken. I am taking this discussion now to Modular Fuel Tanks thread.

If anyone else with the Modular Fuel tanks mod has been seeing this mods tanks randomly exploding then the simplest quick fix for now is to delete the file "SpaceShuttleEngines_modularFuelTanks.cfg" from within the ModularFuelTanks folder.

dtobi, thanks again for your help.

You're welcome. Thanks for investigating.

Is it possible to revert to stock FX? Don't get me wrong, it looks great, but it ran into similar problems with HotRockets. Specifically, the particles are too slow, they follow the engine's movements even after said engine is cut off (most visible with OMS engines).

The aerospikes are now my Number one favourite space engines.

I just love how they perform when you blend it with jets on the verge of flameout (low throttle 30km) Also their awesome looks can't be understated! I will no longer build any SSTO without them. I would like to request a nuclear engine though. Then I could get rid of some other mods..

Real aerospike video for those who might not know what they are:

My most recent project using them.

Sa38eEJ.jpg

http://imgur.com/gallery/65eAj

Edited by bludclot

I am scared it will break my ship..... but yeah I will try.

I updated latest FAR plugin and the above craft breaks up on takeoff... Scrapped the design and starting over.. YEY!

I made a new one to test out the sexy aerospike though.

xTkz8R1.jpg

XwareNz.jpg

More pictures in gallery:

http://imgur.com/a/Yz1g3

I like the new FX on it. But there was something special about how it was before. Can you make it sort of a combination of the two? Honestly I prefer the old one.

There is just something about the way the sprites clip into the nozzle geometry. I would not notice if it also had the plasma particles from the old one. Awesome work still!

Also other than a nuclear engine. Can you make some smoke winders? I've been wanting wing smoke on my jets since forever.

Craft files:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/78799-Linear-Aerospike-SSTO-test-bed-%28FAR-B9-Clockheed-Martian%29?p=1135790#post1135790

Edited by bludclot

Is it just me or do all the engines in this mod release smoke sideways when they're not moving? It looks fine when the rocket is in motion because the particles get trailed, but it looks a bit silly if you have the rockets still on the launch pad and all the smoke is flying off to one side for no apparent reason.

I am scared it will break my ship..... but yeah I will try.

I updated latest FAR plugin and the above craft breaks up on takeoff... Scrapped the design and starting over.. YEY!

I made a new one to test out the sexy aerospike though.

http://i.imgur.com/xTkz8R1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XwareNz.jpg

More pictures in gallery:

http://imgur.com/a/Yz1g3

I like the new FX on it. But there was something special about how it was before. Can you make it sort of a combination of the two? Honestly I prefer the old one.

There is just something about the way the sprites clip into the nozzle geometry. I would not notice if it also had the plasma particles from the old one. Awesome work still!

Also other than a nuclear engine. Can you make some smoke winders? I've been wanting wing smoke on my jets since forever.

Craft files:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/78799-Linear-Aerospike-SSTO-test-bed-%28FAR-B9-Clockheed-Martian%29?p=1135790#post1135790

Awesome looking craft, man! I'm not sure whet the nuclears would do in the shuttle pack, though.

@dtobi I'm not saying nuclear engines fit into the shuttle engine pack... I just think nuclear engines with your design would improve my style points a lot.

There is just one pretty nuclear engine mod out there (imo) but they don't fit your parts very well and I don't build SSTO without your parts any more :> I like to switch to a small nuclear engine to do orbital adjustments or circularizing or getting to and from the moons with my SSTO.

I have honestly never thought of your pack as shuttle engines. Just awesome motors in handy sizes. I use them on everything from VTOL planes to ssto or even flying rovers or landers. And I use the smallest ones some times as retro rockets to enable short landings on cargo planes.

Here is one example. I use your small double rockets as boost engines for my vtol. Their size and shape is just perfect!

I'm trying to use this mod with Real fuels and I've noticed that only half of the Linear aerospike engine works.

When i set the fuel type to Kerosene and Liquid Oxygen and launch only half the engine is firing, the other half is listed as Oxidiser deprived.

If I add liquid fuel and oxidiser to the tanks I can get both sides of the engine working.

Has anyone encountered this or has a work around?

Dtobi added a second engine module, but the RF config is outdated, and only has one. The RF config needs to be updated.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.