[1.1.x] Space Shuttle Engines (2016-07-03)

sarbian

Which parts of the pack do you use?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Which parts of the pack do you use?

• X2 Engine
    • BB engines
    • Aerospike
    • Attachment points
    • Auto Stagers
    • Fuel Controllers
    • Radio Controller
    • Tank System
    • OMS system

I made it to be two engines. That might mess things up. I'll consider to unite the two transforms in the future.

My bad. I thought it was unique to this mod, but I just realized the RAPIER engine and the B9 SABRE engines have this same thing. So I think this would be more appropriate to bring up on the MechJeb and Engineer threads.

KM_Gimbal is the gimbal plugin. It allows engines to provide roll control, and for you to set pitch trim on engines so you can use them for off-center launchers (space shuttle style). You need only the dll, the .cs file is the source code that developers use to compile into dll, and the md is the readme file. It's just plaintext.

V1.4 Straight SSME, better FX, better KM_Gimbal, better performance

* Added straight X25 SSME engine for normal lifters

* FX overhaul. Less blue, fixed smoke.

* Improved KM Gimbal, fixed a bug that occured when the COM moved past the engine

* KM Gimbal now uses .Net 3.5

* KM Gimbal now allows for Yaw trimming, too

* KM Gimbal now supports multi mode engines

* Improved CPU performance by further reducing the collision meshes

* Added multi adapter part for creating engine clusters below tanks

FX overhaul:

http://i.imgur.com/riYdT8v.png

http://i.imgur.com/HaPpcY5.png

I'll have to try this new update out sometime, but I'm currently preparing for exams, so I'll just have to ask. In the previous versions, when you set trim to -14, the engine will point directly downwards. If you disable the gimbal, though, the engine will also jump back to 0 trim. It would be great if this could be changed. Another nice thing would be a maxGimbal slider. Currently, you can either have your engine swing all the way from -14 to 14, but you can't narrow it down and order the engine to never swing out more than, say, -7 to 7. It would also be great if this was possible. It'd help some designs quite a lot.

I'll have to try this new update out sometime, but I'm currently preparing for exams, so I'll just have to ask. In the previous versions, when you set trim to -14, the engine will point directly downwards. If you disable the gimbal, though, the engine will also jump back to 0 trim. It would be great if this could be changed. Another nice thing would be a maxGimbal slider. Currently, you can either have your engine swing all the way from -14 to 14, but you can't narrow it down and order the engine to never swing out more than, say, -7 to 7. It would also be great if this was possible. It'd help some designs quite a lot.

Good Idea! I'm constantly flipping out when using the linear areospike because of that.Also did you do a biology exam yesterday?? or are you from another part of the country(or world :P)

Good Idea! I'm constantly flipping out when using the linear areospike because of that.Also did you do a biology exam yesterday?? or are you from another part of the country(or world :P)

Nah, I live in Denmark, and I'm actually not going to exam in biology this year. However, I have an oral exam in German in eleven hours. German is hard to learn as a third language.

Nah, I live in Denmark, and I'm actually not going to exam in biology this year. However, I have an oral exam in German in eleven hours. German is hard to learn as a third language.

Alles Gute und viel Erfolg! Ich drücke die Daumen.

Alles Gute und viel Erfolg! Ich drücke die Daumen.

It's over now, and I actually got a 12 (top character in Denmark)! That just means that I can communicate in German, though; not that my grammar doesn't suck. Even in that sentence, there were two words I didn't understand :P

i just deleted it and re-downloaded it and still not getting all of them i really like to use them if i use the save craft files they show up on the craft but they are not there in the VAB tab

i just deleted it and re-downloaded it and still not getting all of them i really like to use them if i use the save craft files they show up on the craft but they are not there in the VAB tab

Are you sure they are not on one of the other pages? Stupid question, I know. But sometimes it is that easy.

yea i thought that too i looked on all pages i go and look again to make sure

o n my career mod save i unlocked ll the engines and they do no show up there when the game loads it say 1 hidden how do i see what that is.

Edited by romie

yea i thought that too i looked on all pages i go and look again to make sure

o n my career mod save i unlocked ll the engines and they do no show up there when the game loads it say 1 hidden how do i see what that is.

Quite strange, I have no clue.

Quite strange, I have no clue.

could it be with one of the mods i use with RSS could that be it for i put it on a install with out RSS and the other mods that comes with it and they all show then I do not know i would have loved to use these

could it be with one of the mods i use with RSS could that be it for i put it on a install with out RSS and the other mods that comes with it and they all show then I do not know i would have loved to use these

It's not a mod that RSS relies on that is causing your issue, at least not that I've experienced. I also use 'PartCatalog' though, which breaks the VAB list down by mod. Might try that and see what happens.

to the RX-25ss Straight:

- Cyro effect does not show up

- A bottom attach node would be great

In general all of your straight engines tendend to be really unstable (yaw axis luffing) and hard to get a stable config (tweaks). Keeping the roll-function enable is absolute impossible. It results in a coil flight path.

If you want I can sent you a PN in german with a better explaintation :D

Edit:

If I deactivate Gimbal in VAB, it's enabled on launch (RX-25ss)

Edited by acc

to the RX-25ss Straight:

- Cyro effect does not show up

- A bottom attach node would be great

In general all of your straight engines tendend to be really unstable (yaw axis luffing) and hard to get a stable config (tweaks). Keeping the roll-function enable is absolute impossible. It results in a coil flight path.

If you want I can sent you a PN in german with a better explaintation :D

That really surprises me and I just verified it again. For me, they fly super stable and super straight. Do you have sas enabled? Do you try to use roll on a centered single engine? You can send me a German private message if you prefer this.

Edit:

Are you trying to fly with enabled roll and just a single engine? That won't work because with a single engine its not possible to roll symmetrically. I'll try to introduce some safeguards against enabled roll on single engines (Nathan and RedAV8R had a pretty good idea to when to turn it off).

Edit:

If I deactivate Gimbal in VAB, it's enabled on launch (RX-25ss)

That should be fixed with the latest update. Just checked again. Works for me as well. I'm not 100% sure if that fixed is in the already released update or not. I'm still testing a bunch of improvements (performance tweaks).

Edited by dtobi

I just updated yesterday. So gues it's not in the actual release.

And I forgot to mention I use mechjeb for launch. The Rocket has one engine centered and 6 clustered around. It was 100% stable as I tried it with KW Rocketry engines.

Edited by acc

I just updated yesterday. So gues it's not in the actual release.

And I forgot to mention I use mechjeb for launch. The Rocket has one engine centered and 6 clustered around. It was 100% stable as I tried it with KW Rocketry engines.

Aaah. There you go. Mechjeb integration is not working yet. Nothke told me he is on it.

A new update is out... more work under the hood this time. Plus some fixes and performance improvements.

V1.4.1 Performance improvement and smaller fixes

* Roll is now disabled for engines without symmetric counterpart. Can be enabled manually.

* FX performance improvements

* Significant KM_Gimbal performance tuning

* Engine shroud and bottom node for the straight SSME

* Reduced gimbal range of the straight SSME

* Fixed slightly off center straight SSME

* Removed S0 engine shroud from editor picture

* Fixed missing prelaunch effect for straight SSME

Thanks to everyone who reported bugs and made suggestions.

Edited by dtobi

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.