[1.1.x] Space Shuttle Engines (2016-07-03)

sarbian

Which parts of the pack do you use?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Which parts of the pack do you use?

• X2 Engine
    • BB engines
    • Aerospike
    • Attachment points
    • Auto Stagers
    • Fuel Controllers
    • Radio Controller
    • Tank System
    • OMS system

Somecallmesteve said:
Are you going to upload this mod to Kerbal CurseForge? I'd love to know

I really don't like curse and rather see it on [Moderator removed defunct website] \o/.

Edited by James Kerman
link removed

I see you said you updated the gimbal plugin a couple of days ago to fix the issues with it. However all of the files on dropbox say they haven't been updated in 16 days. The ones that have been updated you left the plugins folder empty.

It should be there. Are you stimm having trouble?

- - - Updated - - -

How come my SSE's throttle down to 0 automatically at 12000m?

Quite strange. Do you have any action group triggers on the craft? Can you post a picture of the craft?

- - - Updated - - -

Only problem I've got now is that the sparklers doesnt sparkle, and there is no cooling effect on top of the orange tank

The sparklers require the base package to be installed. Did you do that?

I tried a fresh install of the latest dll only to find that the gimbal plugin is missing. both the main install and the gimbal link are missing/missing the gimbal plugin.

Did you download the base package? The gimbal plugin is actually part of the base package because of backward compatibility with other mods that use it. I know that is somewhat counter-intuitive but if you install the base package and the SSE package everything should be fine.

the OME engine doesn`t aim CoM automatically, saying something like gimbal autotrim?

As Space Shuttle Orbiter OME looks clearly out of CoM, So I expected it to do so, but it seems doesn`t...

Sounds suspiciously like an incompatibility with....gimbal autotrim: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/77710-0-24-Gimbal-Auto-Trim-1-1-(Sept-2)

From that post's OP:

It does not trim non stock Gimbal like dtobi km_Gimbal (used in his Space Shuttle Engines, and the KSO)

Haven't tried using both, but perhaps try uninstalling GAT?

Latest creation, courtesy of Klockheed Martian, B9 Aerospace, Tweakscale, and FAR:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Tweakscale allowed me to size the engines down to get the aerospike redundancy they planned for VentureStar.

Apart from an inauspicious landing, test flight went pretty well. Design changed between the album and the video, and now the canards are gone again.

Tweakscale and FAR work together? Is that in a new update or what? I've tried it and changing the size doesn't make the center of lift move at all.

All I tweaked were the engines, and if the colliders aren't being changed for FAR's calculations, I think they're hidden well enough behind the body so it makes no difference.

Apologies if this is known, but I added the sparkler to a launch clamp and the GUI flickered. Checked the output log and this was being spammed in it:

NullReferenceException
at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Light:set_intensity (single)

at km_Lib.KM_LaunchEffect.setEffect (Boolean state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at km_Lib.KM_LaunchEffect.updateEditor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at (wrapper delegate-invoke) Callback:invoke_void__this__ ()

at RenderingManager.OnGUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Known? Harmful?

The "pitchGimbalRange" value represents how far off of the default thrust axis the engines can vector in either direction right? Say if the big bang engine defaults to about 30 degrees off the center line of the spacecraft and I set "pitchGimbalRange" to 30 the engines should have enough range to thrust directly through the center line of the craft right?

I'm trying to make a massive Energia style rocket with the payload strapped to the side but the engines don't seem to be able to vector far enough to work properly. It basically does somersaults off the pad every time.

Edit: Ooookaaaay didn't work. Any way to get the engines to straighten out more?

Edited by The Pink Ranger

@The Pink Ranger

From what I've tested, ranges in KM_Gimbal are degrees "in one direction" so total engine vectoring can cover twice the value.

Saying straighten engines out you mean you want something to align them properly to the CoM (Davon thrust Controls mod) or you gimbal is not working as intended? I was playing with B9 stuff mostly which uses KM_Gimbal and it was as easy as editing ranges, response speed etc, post cfg if that is your problem.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, is there a known bug wit KSP Interstellar? When i use the tree.cfg file from KSPI, the parts from SSE in the unresearched nodes in the R&D disappear

This is an issue with interstellar or squad in .25

They seemed to mess with how trees are handled which is causing issues. This is NOT a problem with this mod.

Oh my. The awesomest mod I didn't know existed. I spent about an hour trying to get my new space plane to fly, trying to line up those engines on the end of the that strut so I could change alignment. Wishing there was a shuttle engine mod. And low and behold there is one.

So the engines work in .25, brilliant.

After one year of developing and maintaining mods for KSP, it is time to move on for me.

I will release the code and models into the public domain if anyone is interested. Please just drop me a message if you are interested in taking over the development and maintenance for this mod or if you would like to use its code or models in other mods.

It was a pleasure to work with you guys!

dtobi

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.