[1.1.x] Space Shuttle Engines (2016-07-03)

sarbian

Which parts of the pack do you use?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Which parts of the pack do you use?

• X2 Engine
    • BB engines
    • Aerospike
    • Attachment points
    • Auto Stagers
    • Fuel Controllers
    • Radio Controller
    • Tank System
    • OMS system

So, I tried the linear areospike

Javascript is disabled. View full album

That thing is faster than a turkey the week before thanksgiving. I pulled 9.4 G accelerating down the runway, from 0 to 340m/s in seconds. Eats fuel at a rate to match it too, it will empty the small tank in less than 15 seconds. Produces as much thrust as most planes on the lowest setting. This is an engine that will redeam the aerospike name.

So, I tried the linear areospike

http://imgur.com/a/QsYAb

That thing is faster than a turkey the week before thanksgiving. I pulled 9.4 G accelerating down the runway, from 0 to 340m/s in seconds. Eats fuel at a rate to match it too, it will empty the small tank in less than 15 seconds. Produces as much thrust as most planes on the lowest setting. This is an engine that will redeam the aerospike name.

Nice looking craft. Its certainly not good as motor for a regular airplane. Power-wise and fuel-wise it behaves more like a Mainsail (but a bit more efficient) rocket engine. I think you need quite some external tanks to get your bird into orbit. Have you tried a shuttle-like ascent? Thansk for trying it out.

I'm having trouble with the Firefly example craft. I keep loosing control. Does anyone have any tips for how to make the shuttles work while using FAR ?

You're right. The Firefly was broken. I assume it got corrupted during the .23 update. Something with the wings was odd. I removed and re-attached the wings. Now it launches better (but it still tries to turn a little - not bad). I also tweaked it a bit and added new action groups for the trim.

Reentry is somewhat broken because the balance is off now. I'll fix that later. Landing with chutes works fine, though. I updated the dropbox file (made no extra release on spaceport because of this).

Thanks for reporting the issue.

Can you make an engine with a nozzle extension, like some of the concepts for the SSME?

Hmm do you have some images and references? I'd like to learn more.

Was it proposed to e sliding or static? Sliding would be very cool!

Edited by dtobi

You're right. The Firefly was broken. I assume it got corrupted during the .23 update. Something with the wings was odd. I removed and re-attached the wings. Now it launches better (but it still tries to turn a little - not bad). I also tweaked it a bit and added new action groups for the trim.

Reentry is somewhat broken because the balance is off now. I'll fix that later. Landing with chutes works fine, though. I updated the dropbox file (made no extra release on spaceport because of this).

Thanks for reporting the issue.

Awesome, thank you! One other question. I'm not sure what's causing this but in the VAB my COM icon (Yellow Ball) disappears sometimes. Once this bug happens, it's repeatable, but I haven't seen anything in my output log that points at a culprit. I'm hoping that someone here might know what causes this? It's a little hard to build a shuttle without knowing where the COM is.

Nice looking craft. Its certainly not good as motor for a regular airplane. Power-wise and fuel-wise it behaves more like a Mainsail (but a bit more efficient) rocket engine. I think you need quite some external tanks to get your bird into orbit. Have you tried a shuttle-like ascent? Thansk for trying it out.

Yeah, this was just a flight test to see how it worked. I slapped it on my existing shuttle design but with he combination of more power, more weight and updating to .23, it didn't turn out so well. With all the power this has behind it, pulling some external tanks shouldn't be a problem for a space plane. I like the versatility of having nearly the same high ISP in atmo as in vacuum but the efficient for this one might be a little much.

Yeah, this was just a flight test to see how it worked. I slapped it on my existing shuttle design but with he combination of more power, more weight and updating to .23, it didn't turn out so well. With all the power this has behind it, pulling some external tanks shouldn't be a problem for a space plane. I like the versatility of having nearly the same high ISP in atmo as in vacuum but the efficient for this one might be a little much.

So you think it should have a lower ISP?

Speaking of the aerospace, I encountered what might be a bug. If I lock the gimbal while maneuvering, the engine remains in the position it was locked in instead of returning to its neutral starting position, even while under thrust. Maybe its working as intended, but it just threw me off.

G0Bg71ol.jpgWoJcdFYl.jpg

Speaking of the aerospace, I encountered what might be a bug. If I lock the gimbal while maneuvering, the engine remains in the position it was locked in instead of returning to its neutral starting position, even while under thrust. Maybe its working as intended, but it just threw me off.

http://i.imgur.com/G0Bg71ol.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/WoJcdFYl.jpg

This looks as if you set the trim to a value other than 0. Even if gimballing is disabled, trim is still aplied if gimballing is off. Is this the case?

If it is the case: If you want to return the engine to the 0 position, also disable trim.

We need to tell Scott Manley about this pack. Then, maybe he'll start launching his shuttles the way he launched his first one (he launched it shuttle style), since it will be a lot easier to fly them that way. He'll probably really like the action group/stager/radio controller/fuel floe breaker things, too!

This looks as if you set the trim to a value other than 0. Even if gimballing is disabled, trim is still aplied if gimballing is off. Is this the case?

If it is the case: If you want to return the engine to the 0 position, also disable trim.

Alright, I do know how to set the trim, but how do you return trim to 0? I'd really like to know that.

Alright, I do know how to set the trim, but how do you return trim to 0? I'd really like to know that.

In the right click context menu or by disabling trim from the action groups (toggle).

Just wanted to say thanks again for the great mod dtobi. Very much appreciated!

Hey man, nice video! Where did you get these wings? They look awesome.

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw the Final Credits! :)

Edited by louiz347

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.