Do you guys want the Observatory?

I suppose it depends on what the observatory does? If all you can use it for is taking pictures of the night sky, then no.

However, it's be great if you did not have access to some of the planets until you discover them with the observatory (as in, their orbits don't even appear on the map), and if you could extract science from those observations, and if you could accurately measure the positions of the planets for calculating missions instead of relying on a plugin, or eyeballing it from map view, or putting a protractor against my computer screen.

You know, if it actually had the in-game function of that an observatory is actually for. I'd be all over that.

=Smidge=

It'd be silly to hide all the planets we have now just so we can find them again. This current crop are the "wandering stars" our ancestors knew about in Kerbal form.

Therefore, the observatory would mean that new planets were coming out, which is what excites me.

I am quite convinced that the observatory will be used to "discover" the planets outside the Kerbin System. That is Eve, Duna, Jool and so on. Also, what we want is mostly irrelevant, as the devs already have a very solid idea of the finished game. Lastly, I am very much looking forward to it, as it will be an interesting part of the career mode.

I real life, we knew about all the planets and moderate-sized moons before the dawn of the space age, so it would seem silly for those to be hidden in the Kerbol system. But it would be reasonable to use an observatory to discover tiny moons or asteroids that we could then go to.

I real life, we knew about all the planets and moderate-sized moons before the dawn of the space age, so it would seem silly for those to be hidden in the Kerbol system. But it would be reasonable to use an observatory to discover tiny moons or asteroids that we could then go to.

On the other hand, soil samples off the lawn and a paved driveway seem to be vital for kerbals' space tech research so in that light I wouldn't find it at all unreasonable to think that they might not have noticed every celestial body in their star system.

I think the observatory (and space telescopes-- one can hope) would be very awesome to use in discovering new planets. However, we already know about the ones which are already there, and can safely say they're the ones the ancient Kerbals with their ridiculous balloon-fart flying machines knew about. So that leaves to discover any additions, as well as asteroids and comets? There's tons of stuff out in space that can be seen from the ground (with an accompanying science gain for finding) if we look hard enough. :)

The Observatory would be nice as a "planet discoverer," BUT a picture function would be good as well, allowing you to get more science just by taking pictures.

For example, if you discover a planet using the camera, you get 1.5 times the science than if you just found it just by looking. The farther the body is from Kerbin, the more science you get.

Science points also allow you to upgrade the telescope in the Observatory (although they're ridiculously expensive) and database (same price), allowing for more clear pictures that can be stored before having to send them to the R&D Center, and thus more science.

Also, special astronomical events, like the two kinds of eclipses, and transits. They would give you bonus science.

Go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_discovery_of_Solar_System_planets_and_their_moons

Scroll down till you get to the section of finds in the 1960s. Note position of scroll bar.

While we knew of a lot of things in the solar system when we first started trying to leave this rock, there was a lot more left to discover within our own system.

The other thing that could be fun is if we start out only knowing a handful of the items that would be obvious, those with a size and distance that would be easily found and tracked. Some would have very firm data on, others could be a little 'fuzzy' on the details, but be reasonably close.

All other items in the system then get procedurally generated and left for us to discover with various methods. Just think of how awesome it would be to discover geysers of methane or something on a small moon that no one else in the game had ever seen before, because that moon never existed in that way for anyone else.

(Of course I would still want the 'classic' map of predefined planets and orbits to play in.)

Just look at the history of Neptune and Pluto. Those easily could have gone unknown for another hundred or more years if we had fewer wealthy geeks in world history. If fox hunting or poetry had been even more popular then our history of science would be a whole lot different than what it is today.

The Observatory would be nice as a "planet discoverer," BUT a picture function would be good as well, allowing you to get more science just by taking pictures.

For example, if you discover a planet using the camera, you get 1.5 times the science than if you just found it just by looking. The farther the body is from Kerbin, the more science you get.

Science points also allow you to upgrade the telescope in the Observatory (although they're ridiculously expensive) and database (same price), allowing for more clear pictures that can be stored before having to send them to the R&D Center, and thus more science.

Also, special astronomical events, like the two kinds of eclipses, and transits. They would give you bonus science.

i like :D if u could take pics, i sense my new desktop wallpaper! :D

I think Gilly, Bop, Pol, Dres, Eeloo and maybe even Vall should be hidden when you start the game. Along with any new celestial bodies that would be added. The Voyager probes discovered a lot of moons after all.

Would slow down progression in the tech tree too! ;)

As long as it's well-integrated into the gameplay system, I think it would be a great addition! A good way to add science points without necessarily launching a rocket, and it could help with planning missions.

It could also be useful if you want to gain some science with a lot less financial risk of course! Maybe when money is implemented, you could pay for research time on the telescope just like real researchers have to do. And while we're talking about telescopes, what about an orbital telescope that could see even farther?

Edited by JebIsMyHero

I think the best thing would be in the observatory gave you more detailed information about the planets and their orbits once you have made enough observations. So it could tell you all the details of their size and gravity and also launch windows to get to them, etc.

Well, getting the position of the Planets or know that they exist does not require a lot.

So it would be unrealistic not having this info at the begining.

But since Kerbals are not humans you could add better observatory variants to the tech tree.

In addition to a better range an advanced observatory shuld also show info like phase angle, gravity and atmosphere.

So if the range of your observatory is to low, you won't see all planets on the map view.

But you could discover them by just flying by and seeing them, but this would be unlikely.

It would be cool if you could actualy get visuals of your probes and landers!

After being harshly critical of the science stuff before it was released, and being absolutely addicted to it afterwards, I'm going to trust the devs to do it right with the observatory. No more speculation from me, I'll take what I'm given. They obviously know better than I do!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.