Useful/Cool Subassemblies

Highlad

This is the Hercules MMU (manned maneuvering unit) Mk-7, the latest in Kerbal Mobility ingenuity. This is a Jetpack that allows for extended Space walks with greater range and capabilities, such as rolling on it's side, a docking port, and a way of transporting small amounts of RCS to other crafts. It contains a RTG (warrenty does not cover accidents), 80 units or RCS, a external command seat, a probe for SAS, multiple RCS ports, and a Jr. Docking Port.

http://www./view/jceupfc5zln1u75/Hercules_MMU_MK-7.craft

The craft attached to the Kerbal X-2.

Wqwk8t5.png

In orbit ready for use, Kenlong assigned for a craft inspection.

9Hj5TU3.png

Ok all systems are go, RCS ports clear, gyros clear, re-orienting craft...

sDhiFfF.png

Ok Kenlong bring yourself right in front of the cabi- OH JEEZ!

hgDGU1E.png

...1 and a half hours later... Ok Kenlong, dock the MMU back to the Service module and end the mission.

NkkBY2a.png

Edited by xoknight

This is the Hercules MMU (manned maneuvering unit) Mk-7, the latest in Kerbal Mobility ingenuity. This is a Jetpack that allows for extended Space walks with greater range and capabilities, such as rolling on it's side, a docking port, and a way of transporting small amounts of RCS to other crafts. It contains a RTG (warrenty does not cover accidents), 80 units or RCS, a external command seat, a probe for SAS, multiple RCS ports, and a Jr. Docking Port

My goodness. This... This is what kerbal-kind has been looking for. You get a cookie!

Here's the four non-launcher Subassemblies I have so far:

EdTZUzPl.png

The T30 and T45 engine assemblies are just pretty ways of putting an engine and 400 kvu of fuel on the bottom of a rocket. They form a part of most of my launcher subassemblies (subassemblyception?).

The basic rover is something I cooked up in the SPH to use as part of a Mun lander. The subassembly system is quite handy for that sort of thing.

The transfer stage is something I ended up using commonly for transmunar travel, like interplanetary probes and manned Mun/Minmus missions. I was rebuilding it so much I decided to make it into a subassembly. You can see in the image how I balanced the 88-88 with a solar panel as they're the same mass.

Craft file for that tiny rover please!

The Subassemblies here are 30 seconds work, launchers require hours of work sometimes. 5 parts stocked together isn't very creative for a useful subassembly. It is much faster and easier to open ksp and make it than download it and copy it to your folder...

No one is making you use them or read this thread. That doesn't mean these things aren't useful for other players to download, compare, share ideas, and use.

I have some interesting things, that I just might have to post here. I like what's been posted so far, and iDan, you're just being too negative.

He's just jealous of this thread, his died and this one hasn't.

Very nice MMU xoknight. :D

I haven't really thought of making one like that. I know I made an orbital construction pod months ago (when 0.18 first came out). That reminds me, I have been thinking of building a space station again some time through Career Mode.

• 2 weeks later...
My only gripe with the subassembly thing is that it won't let me save anything with a command pod or probe core. So no satellites. I keep a couple or three launchers in mine, along with various and sundry other things, depending on whatever project I'm working on at the time. Since most of what I develop has a core to it, I can't really save them, so I have to do it ".21 style".

NOTE: SA = "sub-assembly"

It's just that it will not save anything with a ships ROOT part included in it.

You must start out with a non-SA / "sacrificial" pod, probe-core or even entire ship...

1: Start a new ship in either construction building.

2: Select a pod or probe-core (whatever is the most useful size or shape so as not to interfere with your final design.

3: Build your SA connected to that core BUT NOT INCLUDING that original core in the design. Your SA needs to include its own internal pod or probe-core in it's design.

4: Pull the entire thing you want to save off that initial, sacrificial core and save it as a SA.

Then you have a nice, fully assembled, launch ready satellite, science probe, rover, etc. that you can grab out of the sub-assembly tab and slap onto a launcher or into an ssto cargo bay or whatever any time you need it.

NOTE: There seems to be a limitation when using SAs that they will only attach from the point they were originally detached by... EG: a fuel pod with docking ports at top and bottom that was built "hanging" from the bottom of a sacrificial probe core. When you pull it back out, only the "top" port will be active/available to attach to anything. Once attached, THEN the other attachment ports on the SA seem to work. So if you need to be able to attach any particular SA from either end, then you need save it as a regular ship first. Detach the SA and save it. Reload the temporary ship, move the pod from "under" the sacrificial probe-core and attach it to the top. Now detach the SA again and save it a 2nd time. Now you have 2 versions so you can attach one any time by either end.

;)

Edited by dc4bs

There seems to be a limitation when using SAs that they will only attach from the point they were originally detached by...

That's because sub-assemblies are just like craft files, with the root part of the sub assembly being the only part that can be attached to the branch of another file.

Anyways, to contribute, here's a missile sub-assembly for atmospheric fighter aircraft, with docking ports to potentially allow for the reloading of missiles on a plane after a mission (still working on the loading vehicle) Action group 1 undocks the missile and activates the 8 separatrons

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Download

-Ojimak

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.