Probe Science config files (any version KSP)

Starwaster

• 4 weeks later...
Suggested change to the probe science patch: instead of #vesselType[Probe], you should use #CrewCapacity[0]. Not all probe cores automatically set their vessels to be probes -- some call themselves rovers.

Noted. Is that as of KSP 1.0? I don't recall ever having encountered that.

Dr. Jet's Chop Shop has a couple of rover bodies which define vesselType = Rover. (Funnily enough, the stock RoveMate calls itself a probe.)

EDIT: Now that I think about it, not all probe cores define CrewCapacity either, so it should be something like :HAS[#CrewCapacity[0]|~CrewCapacity[]] (i.e. "has CrewCapacity = 0 or no CrewCapacity at all"). And then that has to be anded with the requirement to have ModuleCommand...I'm not sure how Module Manager handles three-part logical expressions, so I'll play around on my end and get back to you.

Edited by Kerbas_ad_astra

I figured out an even better way. Module Manager can handle nested HAS blocks, so the patch should be @PART

[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]:HAS[#minimumCrew[0]]] -- in other words, only apply the patch to modules which have a ModuleCommand in which minimumCrew is 0.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

any ideas why this would cause sounding rockets experiments to fail? I get this in my log when entering the flight scene:

[ERR 03:26:12.730] [R&D]: No Experiment definition found with id surfaceSampleProbes

[ERR 03:26:12.741] [R&D]: No Experiment definition found with id SRExperiment02

[ERR 03:26:12.742] [R&D]: No Experiment definition found with id SRExperiment04

[ERR 03:26:12.743] [R&D]: No Experiment definition found with id SRExperiment03

[ERR 03:26:12.744] [R&D]: No Experiment definition found with id SRExperiment01

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, MerlinsMaster said:

Does this work with 1.2?

I haven't tested it with 1.2 yet but comparing the probe experiment files with KSP 1.2 experiment files for crew reports tells me that it hasn't changed very much if at all.

So it SHOULD work

Like your avatar. Melificent would approve.

• 2 years later...
3 hours ago, Mekan1k said:

…. Anyone know how to make ALL probes (or unmanned pods) be capable of SCIENCE!?

That's exactly what these config files do. They create new science just for probes and everything that has ModuleCommand and is vesselType Probe can do them.

21 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

That's exactly what these config files do. They create new science just for probes and everything that has ModuleCommand and is vesselType Probe can do them.

Awesome- thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.