Ability to remap controls in game

Currently the only way to adjust the controls (or even view them) is to exit to the main menu. This makes for slow feedback particularly when configuring the dead zone and sensitivity of the joystick which takes some back and forth to get right. The input controls should be available in the config menu in game for tweaking and for reference.

In addition to completely remapping the controls there are several 'quick' changes to the input controls that are useful depending on what the player is doing. For instance swapping roll and yaw makes sense when transitioning from flying a rocket to a plane (which can happen mid flight) (this is particularly noticeable when using a joystick). Likewise the RCS controls that are best for docking (where I view the ship from behind) are the opposite of those that are good for landing (where I view it from above). There are also situations where it makes sense to orient the camera in a way that makes the navball centred controls counterintuitive.

I propose a 'quick flip' option for rotation and RCS controls. A modifier key could be used to swap the direction of any axis, and another key could exchange any two axis. For example Mod + W would reverse the controls for the pitch axis. Another key would allow the roll and yaw to be swapped.

Another way to do this would be to have a 'quick config' window that would open to flip the controls. The 'quick config' window wouldn't be as complex as the full input configuration window and would just swap the inputs without reconfiguring them, as well as allowing them to be reset to the default. One advantage of this approach would be that the game would be paused while this window was up but if the RCS thrust were still rendered when the controls were applied it would be possible to see how the controls were configured without affecting the game.

I propose a 'quick flip' option for rotation and RCS controls.

this can already be done within docking mode ;)

My only worry here is that this will become confusing really​ fast.

one possibility to prevent that, would be to create these options, but don't bind them to a key by default. So the wouldn't be used by accident, but players who want them, could bind them.

My only worry here is that this will become confusing really​ fast.

I agree that the 'quick remapping' could get confusing which is why I envisioned it as a modification of the actual mapping as opposed to a completely new mapping. That way it's always possible to revert to the original mapping.

The real source of the confusion is that it's already a very complex problem. The game currently attempts to solve it by having multiple modes (docking, flight, EVA, rover) and each of these has its own control mappings, but these aren't enough to cover all cases (for instance plane flight vs rocket flight or docking vs landing). Doing different quick remaps doesn't eliminate the complexity since it's just adding even more modes.

Maybe one way to help keep it from becoming too complicated would be to make it a part of docking mode. The remapped controls would only activate when docking mode was active and the docking view could show the current mapping and the UI to change it. This wouldn't work so well for flying an airplane though since that normally isn't done in docking mode.

None of what I've said here sounds like it would prevent things from getting more complicated though :). I do think that some system allowing additional mappings is needed and the current system is getting pretty cumbersome (particularly when I have to exit to the main menu to make any changes to the mappings).

I do like BrokenPhysics suggestion to not bind these features to any key by default so they would only confuse those who wanted to be confused. :)

this can already be done within docking mode ;)

Can it? Did I miss something or are you suggesting that I configure my standard RCS for top down (landing) mode and then configure docking mode for chase view? I guess I could configure my non docking RCS thrusters for top down mode since I only really use RCS for docking or for killing horizontal velocity while landing. The default config is a bit backwards when landing.

It doesn't solve the issue with planes vs rockets (though this could be fixed with yet another global control mode) and it doesn't help when trying to control something from strange camera angles, but that is a bit of a fringe case. I'll try playing some more with my control mappings to see what I can come up with.

Edited by MythicLionMan

• 3 weeks later...

i actually have some of those features programmed into my ch controllers. i have 9 different modes. all with different deadzone and sensitivity settings. for planes you want linear control and no deadzones, for rcs thrusters you want a deadzone and a slow ramp in. the result is a profile so complex i just use the keyboard most of the time.

• 3 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.