Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

I really need to stop coming up with 'brilliant ideas' that lead me to rewrite half the plugin to the point where it takes a week for it to start compiling.

Settable from the perspective of the part. Default remains 6.

Man, I have so not been working on RemoteTech lately. Need to crank up the pace since I expect 0.24 to hit next month. I'm not even CLOSE to done.

I'll be taking 0.23 offline when the update hits. If I'm not done by then, tough luck. I intend on releasing 0.24 complete with documentation and fully tested.

DYJ and Kommit have signed up to do two new dishes. Starstrider42 is currently taking care of some user documentation. Give them some applause from me.

Tracking dishes? Please?

Nice to see you're still plugging away, Cilph - and the people who're helping. :)

I'll be interested in taking a look at how tracking dishes and animations will work. Been thinking about rebuilding my rover and maybe a dish or two.

Edited by Spaceghöst

I have 2 questions:

- If i set in my probe target: kerbin, will it try to connect to any visible satellite orbiting kerbin with appropriate dish?

- Is there any reason to put more than one dish on rely satellite if i can just use target:active vessel setting? Only situation i can think of is when kerbin, some planet and planet im on set in perfect one line bloking connection, than i woudl have to use relay orbiting some other planet to get signal.

Edited by kiwiak

if it's for the betterment of the mod, break compatibility with the 0.24 update. It might allow for more features in the future, not to mention KSP is growing at a rapid pace. "We will rebuild our planetary civilization!" haha:sticktongue:

I have 2 questions:

- If i set in my probe target: kerbin, will it try to connect to any visible satellite orbiting kerbin with appropriate dish?

- Is there any reason to put more than one dish on rely satellite if i can just use target:active vessel setting? Only situation i can think of is when kerbin, some planet and planet im on set in perfect one line bloking connection, than i woudl have to use relay orbiting some other planet to get signal.

If you point at dish at a planet or moon then the center of the arc will point at the direct center of the body targeted. If you are using the biggest dish from only as far away as minmus then the tiny arc will point to a tiny area on kerbin and not connect to anything in orbit except for a few seconds if you have a really perfect orbit. You want to balance distance from target with the dish arc and max range so you can cover a large number of relay sats in orbit.

If you point at dish at a planet or moon then the center of the arc will point at the direct center of the body targeted. If you are using the biggest dish from only as far away as minmus then the tiny arc will point to a tiny area on kerbin and not connect to anything in orbit except for a few seconds if you have a really perfect orbit. You want to balance distance from target with the dish arc and max range so you can cover a large number of relay sats in orbit.

Is there some tool that will let me calculate what dish is best for specific distance/planet alignment?

Is there some tool that will let me calculate what dish is best for specific distance/planet alignment?

If you don't want to do the math, a good rule of thumb is to use the shortest-range dish that will reach. That will give you the widest cone you can afford.

Yes, you almost always want multiple dishes on a relay satellite, for two reasons:

1. A single relay will never have an unbroken line of sight to your target. As soon as you start putting up multiple relays, they need to be able to exchange information with each other. If they're too far apart for omni antennas, that leaves dishes.

2. (This one new players forget pretty often) Active vessel is only useful if you're trying to get a direct connection to the specific satellite you're controlling. If, say, you have a relay sat around the Mun, or a mothership that's supposed to act as a relay for a shorter-range ship, you need to have a dish pointed at the Mun if you want the relay connection to last while you're controlling something else.

At the minimum, you're going to need a dish for every celestial body that has (or will have) its own comm network, or the two planets' networks won't link up.

Edited by Starstrider42

Yes, a calculator or pencil and paper. The math is rudimentary.

You can use this image to get a rough estimate of the distances but its best to just lookup the numbers on the wiki and do the math. If you are doing planet to planet then you want to take the apoapsis of each body and add them together. That should give you the max distance possible between them so just pick the dish with the widest angle that has a range larger than that number. Its probably the dish with the smallest range that is still large enough to cover that distance.

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/File:Orbits.svg

So I managed to run some tests for a while with the hotfixed DLL, the epic crash bugs never showed up, perhaps something else being updated moved enough bugs around that crashes never happened. But enabling remote-tech would leave me with a bunch of dead spacecraft, they have the hardware but no way to actually enable it because of comms restrictions. Is there a sane workaround?

So I managed to run some tests for a while with the hotfixed DLL, the epic crash bugs never showed up, perhaps something else being updated moved enough bugs around that crashes never happened. But enabling remote-tech would leave me with a bunch of dead spacecraft, they have the hardware but no way to actually enable it because of comms restrictions. Is there a sane workaround?

You could give your command pods the probe core and add alittle range to match the com 32 make it always on ? or just edit your persistent file.

Edit Scrap that won't work a change in the cfg won't help craft already up leaves you edit your persistent file or send a craft to the dead ships and get with in 3k then you should be able to turn them on.

Edited by Mecripp2

Maybe you could use the connection cheat. By enabling infinite EVA fuel in the regular cheat menu, any vessel with a SPU will register as in connection. From briefly browsing through the source, it seems the cheat should still be implemented.

Doing this, you could buy yourself the needed control to properly orient any antennae needed.

Edited by JDP

Maybe you could use the connection cheat. By enabling infinite EVA fuel in the regular cheat menu, any vessel with a SPU will register as in connection. From briefly browsing through the source, it seems the cheat should still be implemented.

Doing this, you could buy yourself the needed control to properly orient any antennae needed.

You the same JDP that made the mod RT if so thanks been a great mod.

EDIT and by chance is there any way we could get a fix on the AeroProbe or MicroSat ?

Edited by Mecripp2

You the same JDP that made the mod RT if so thanks been a great mod.

EDIT and by chance is there any way we could get a fix on the AeroProbe or MicroSat ?

Indeed I am the JDP of RT1 fame. Ever since I finished my studies and found full time employment, Cilph has taken over the plugin and only a neglible part of the RT2 source can be traced back to contributions by myself. I do what I can to keep up to date on the forum, but that's pretty much all my spare time gone.

I would like to re-release the AeroProbe. But doing so would require a couple of days of intensive dev work (both coding and part modeling), which I haven't really had for the last 6 months.

You could probably still use the MicroSat, as long as you edit the config to use the relevant RT2 modules. The AeroProbe would need a couple of custom modules not included in RT2.

Indeed I am the JDP of RT1 fame. Ever since I finished my studies and found full time employment, Cilph has taken over the plugin and only a neglible part of the RT2 source can be traced back to contributions by myself. I do what I can to keep up to date on the forum, but that's pretty much all my spare time gone.

I would like to re-release the AeroProbe. But doing so would require a couple of days of intensive dev work (both coding and part modeling), which I haven't really had for the last 6 months.

You could probably still use the MicroSat, as long as you edit the config to use the relevant RT2 modules. The AeroProbe would need a couple of custom modules not included in RT2.

How ironic that I'm now in a similar situation. Moving twice in two months, getting a job and working 40h/week. RT2 0.23 was a disaster as a result.

As discussed on IRC over a month ago, I will find time to put in an ability to 'reset' parts to their default RT2 state and allow easy converting of old or stock config. Aside from manually editing the persistence.sfs, there is currently no way.

Is there any SPU module that will allow control when connected, but *not* act as a relay?

...nope, want to make that a feature request?

---

This weekend I'll be stuck reading http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Java-Applications-Nicholas-Williams/dp/1118656466 . 0.24 is coming awfully close and I feel bad for not working on RT as much as I should right now.

Edited by Cilph

and I feel bad for not working on RT as much as I should right now.

You know, modding should be fun to some degree.

As soon as it turns into "I have to..." kinda work, you're on a bad course. I modded for other games and when that happened, the "burn-out" was the next thing that happened.

It would be great if the issues could get fixed... but I'm sure no one here wants to put so much pressure on you that you start to hate your own project.

Follow your guts, they always know best.

Hopefully you guys saw a couple pages back a fix we have been using to these issues while Cilph is away.

Since updating the DLL, I haven't had RT issues in my game and think others have had similar success.

Credit to madadam+JDMJ for fixes to issue 189 on the github, I call this 1.3.3 fixpack 2:

RemoteTech2_2014.01.08.22.30.zip

Tks, I think it solved my problem!!!! My Probes where exploding and multiplying like

Is there anyway to turn off the delay? It has made flying probes around Duna Impossible for me.

Go to ...\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\RemoteTech2\RemoteTech_Settings.cfg

Change EnableSignalDelay = True to = False

has anyone had all of the radios on a probe just seem to shut off all of their own???? I have had it happen about 4 times of late and I can't figure out what causes it. I look and they have plenty of power so it's nnot that .. I don't get it.