Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

It sounds like a KAS issue to me rather than an RT2 one. I have come to expect the unexpected spontaneous disassembly with KAS:huh: Otherwise, I am out of ideas, sorry.

I thought so too at first, but then i tried to thing in both cases what happened. First scenario did not use KAS just regular docking. I was just wondering if RT2 tinkers somewhat with "who has the control", as i think it might be possible, as for probes it needs to check whether the craft has connection or something.

Have to look if i can just disable plugin without removing it, and test again

Just reporting that I have struck this too.

... blah blah...

If anyone finds a fix it would be great to hear. Love RT2 ... etc., etc.

I may have found something myself. I found I had one old Moho lander probe with a dish aimed at a no longer existent comms satellite. I re-targeted that dish (after warping days ahead for the sunrise/solar power) at a satellite in my new comms fleet and Hey Presto!, I can enter the tracking station again. I don't know, is it a hint to what is going on perhaps?; or just a totally unrelated and random set of events? Is there an attempt being made to do a line rendering from the probe to a non existent vessel? There have been others who might have been reporting (months ago) a possible link between the lock-ups and dishes targeted at "unknown" vessels... http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/56399-0-23-RemoteTech-2-v1-3-3-Late-Christmas-Edition?p=842972&viewfull=1#post842972. I will keep watching for clues to this problem. I appreciate that it is a Unity crash and hence very difficult to debug. What's the bet that I get the opportunity to investigate further when the tracking station lock-up returns to my current career? Oh, yes, and I am using KAS.

Edit: No... more testing and it doesn't hold up :confused: I got past the lock-up which is great but I still have no clue why it happens nor why it later on stopped happening.

Edited by Kaa253
More information

I may have missed this in the 300+ pages, but what is the red dot on my tracking station? Normally it is the Kerbal Space Center.. but I've recently launched a Space Station and now there is a 2nd red dot. Is is because I have a science lab on board that lets me duplicate the functions of the space center?? So if I deploy a science lab (manned) to another planet, it will cut down on time lag?

I play sandbox so I've no need of science labs. I added one as an afterthought on this station.

I may have missed this in the 300+ pages, but what is the red dot on my tracking station? Normally it is the Kerbal Space Center.. but I've recently launched a Space Station and now there is a 2nd red dot. Is is because I have a science lab on board that lets me duplicate the functions of the space center?? So if I deploy a science lab (manned) to another planet, it will cut down on time lag?

I play sandbox so I've no need of science labs. I added one as an afterthought on this station.

Yes as long as you keep 6 kerbals in it and sounds like you have the probe core command on it so yes it will cut the delay to your sat.

No, check the cfg. I changed all of the antenna stats. The current way people use RT2 with RSS is exactly what you said, but that's not realistic. I made all of the values more realistic, including "electric charge" which RO coverts to watts. And no, the distances aren't insane, they're just scaled to real life.

I see, I didn't mean it to be offensive or anything. Nice job taking the time to do that for all antennas. I meant the distances compared to the Kerbol, they make the RT2 stuff useless.

Quick question: If I am using this with Real Solar System, do I need to adjust the signal range for the antennae at all, or are they already set to real values?

The antenna ranges are chosen to fit certain niches in the stock solar system. So most antennas will have too short a range to be useful in RSS, and (I assume) they won't be matched well to distances between specific planets, either.

You can fix this either by using brooklyn666's config (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/56399-0-23-RemoteTech-2-v1-3-3-Late-Christmas-Edition?p=1041460&viewfull=1#post1041460), or by setting RangeMultiplier = 10 in RemoteTech_Settings.cfg. (Don't do both!)

Edited by Starstrider42

Quick question: If I am using this with Real Solar System, do I need to adjust the signal range for the antennae at all, or are they already set to real values?

Just to follow up on what Starstrider said, my cfg changes not just the range values, but almost everything else to reflect the size of the real solar system, and to be somewhat more accurate to real life. You can use my config or you can set RangeMultiplier = 10 AND ConsumptionMultiplier = 0.1.

The science lab is irrelevant. It sounds like you have RC-L01 probe core. That's the only part that should create a second control center.

I wouldn't be a bad idea for the Science Lab to give the same control center ability the L01 currently has (provided it was manned and total Kerbals for the vessel was 6+)

Just a happy reminder that RT2 will not be patched for 0.23.10 and not to expect a new release or bugfix until 0.24.

I'm quite the busy guy and I just recovered from a burnout that showed me what ADHD feels like.

Just a happy reminder that RT2 will not be patched for 0.23.10 and not to expect a new release or bugfix until 0.24.

I'm quite the busy guy and I just recovered from a burnout that showed me what ADHD feels like.

The modifications the the game engine may or may not break compatibility but I'm sure someone can fix it if there is an issue

You just keep doing what your doing the community will step in and lend a hand

Hello again guys, I have a problem again. I've got 3 satellites up all with varying coverage and I seem to have some holes that aren't getting filled in my coverage. I all three of my sats are around 86-90 degrees or so at 500km. How do I know which way to adjust my inclination etc?

5RiBx8u.png

Edited by Renaissance0321

The new kOS dev is working on it. I've done my part.

Hi Cilph, I got back into KSP recently and started a new career with a bunch of mods. I'm loving Remote Tech! Thanks.

Once kOS integration is done, will we be able to get the connection status and change the target of a dish? So if a connection is down we can try re routing.

Are the API functions that you've exposed listed anywhere?

Thanks.

Hi Cilph, I got back into KSP recently and started a new career with a bunch of mods. I'm loving Remote Tech! Thanks.

Once kOS integration is done, will we be able to get the connection status and change the target of a dish? So if a connection is down we can try re routing.

Are the API functions that you've exposed listed anywhere?

Thanks.

That is the plan. We have been a bit slow lately because we rewrote the parser but the plan is to let you enable/disable and point dishes.

That is the plan. We have been a bit slow lately because we rewrote the parser but the plan is to let you enable/disable and point dishes.

Awaiting your API requests for that functionality. I knew I had to implement it, just not what functions you'd like. For example, how do you intend on accessing a -specific- antenna. How would you identify the part from the kOS script?

EDIT:

I just ordered two 24" Iiyama MVA screens and a mechanical keyboard.

Let's get this show going shall we?

Edited by Cilph

Awaiting your API requests for that functionality. I knew I had to implement it, just not what functions you'd like. For example, how do you intend on accessing a -specific- antenna. How would you identify the part from the kOS script?

EDIT:

I just ordered two 24" Iiyama MVA screens and a mechanical keyboard.

Let's get this show going shall we?

Alright lets! I was thinking to start that I would just want a list of the available dishes and their:

* range

* power status

* power consumption

* their target craft/body

No need to bite it all off at once. Once we get that going I would like to move on to pointing and toggling.

Alright lets! I was thinking to start that I would just want a list of the available dishes and their:

* range

* power status

* power consumption

* their target craft/body

No need to bite it all off at once. Once we get that going I would like to move on to pointing and toggling.

Yes, but how do you plan on accessing and identifying each dish? I can easily return a list of all dishes, but if there are multiple dishes with the same name, there is no way to find the correct one.

Hence my Part Identifier feature request.

Actually if you look at the front page, I was looking for input on if the 0.24 version of RT2 should break compatibility with 0.23 saves. Given the score of about 20 against 1, it will.

Thought I might say that, I rarely use these forums. I stopped playing KSP because I had so many issues with remote tech in 0.23. I still check in on your progress, as this mod is literally what I am waiting for before I start playing ksp again.

I've had so many issues with RT that I would rather have those issues fixed and NOT keep backwards compatibility. That just leaves some possibility that the bugs I was experiencing might still linger around. I'd rather you scrap what you need to and do it the right way for 0.24. As a web developer, trying to maintain support for old versions will cause you to sacrifice features available on new versions. I assume KSP is the same way.

I'm not sure who is in favor in the 20v1 in the quoted message. The front page only asks for input from people who want to keep backwards compatibility. I wouldn't have replied if I didn't read the comment that I quoted above. It definitely does not sound like a vote.

In any case, I look forward to RT2 in 0.24. As long as it works well, I'll be happy.

(I'm referring to RT2 for all of this, fyi, never used the original RT)

Yes, but how do you plan on accessing and identifying each dish? I can easily return a list of all dishes, but if there are multiple dishes with the same name, there is no way to find the correct one.

Hence my Part Identifier feature request.

I haven't actually used kOS yet but on initial inspection there don't appear to be any data structures, not even arrays. The built in variables using colons eg ALT:RADAR kinda look 'objecty' but as far as I can see they are just hard coded names and the colon doesn't actually mean anything.

With what minuscule familiarity I have with kOS, I'd expect the implementation to be something like this:

// Get the number of dishes on the ship.
set dishCount to RTECH:DISHCOUNT.
set x to 0.
// Print details of each dish.
until x > dishCount {
print "Dish #" + x + ":".
print " Type: " + RTECH:GET_TYPE(x).
print " Range: " + RTECH:GET_RANGE(x).
print " Target: " + RTECH:GET_TARGET(x).
// etc.
set x to x+1.
}
// Set target of dish #2.
RTECH:SET_TARGET(2,"KERBIN").
// Turn off dish #3.
RTECH:SET_POWER(3,FALSE).

Does this seem reasonable?

Would you suggest something better?

EDIT:

Oops. Just discovered http://ksp-kos.github.io/KOS_DOC/. I was looking at http://kos.wikia.com/wiki/KOS_Wiki.

I see lists are a thing. and objects are also a thing and colons do mean something. BRB.

Ok so with exposure to the new docs but still zero experience, let me try again:

SET relays TO LIST().
SET relays:add TO VESSEL("RelayAlpha").
SET relays:add TO VESSEL("RelayBravo").
SET relays:add TO VESSEL("RelayCharlie").

FOR dish IN ship:dishes {
print "Dish #" + dish:uid + ":". // UID would be the same as from the parts list?
print " Type: " + dish:type.
print " Range: " + dish:range.
print " Target: " + dish:target.
// etc

IF (dish:connected==FALSE) {
FOR relay IN relays {
SET dish:target TO relay.
IF dish:connected==TRUE {
BREAK.
}
}
}
}

Edited by OminousPenguin

I have a question. I've been playing with RT for a long time now and I thought I understood how everything worked. However, my recent mission to Eve included two probes. I have a link from the main ship back to KSC which I am pretty sure is working since I've been sending back science. I have an 4Mm omni antenna on that ship and the large Communotron omni with 3Mm range. What I was hoping to do was detach a probe while on a highly elliptical orbit and change it's orbit slightly so that it reenters, maintaining control via relay. However what happens is that I have control of the probe while it's close to the ship but after it gets away a bit I loose connection.

I obviously don't understand the restrictions on relaying control. What am I doing wrong and how can I fix it?

Edit: oh, and it's not running out of EC either. I have solar panels on it.

I have a question. I've been playing with RT for a long time now and I thought I understood how everything worked. However, my recent mission to Eve included two probes. I have a link from the main ship back to KSC which I am pretty sure is working since I've been sending back science. I have an 4Mm omni antenna on that ship and the large Communotron omni with 3Mm range. What I was hoping to do was detach a probe while on a highly elliptical orbit and change it's orbit slightly so that it reenters, maintaining control via relay. However what happens is that I have control of the probe while it's close to the ship but after it gets away a bit I loose connection.

I obviously don't understand the restrictions on relaying control. What am I doing wrong and how can I fix it?

Sounds like as soon as you get out of the probe core range you loose control are you sure the antenna was on just after you decoupled ? and you sure it's not just delay getting you ?

EDIT have seen at times if docked or coupled and you turn them on when undock or couple the antenna shows deployed but some how got turned off then, I would then have to launch a manned craft to get with in range 3k and turn it back on but have had that happen only 4 x maybe a mod, I was using at the time it didnt like.

Edited by Mecripp2

Sounds like as soon as you get out of the probe core range you loose control are you sure the antenna was on just after you decoupled ? and you sure it's not just delay getting you ?

Absolutely it was on. I have three antennas and I enabled all of them. And I'm playing with delay off. Since this is a probe it was created as a subassembly and launched separately and docked with the main ship in orbit.

Is this your problem? https://github.com/Cilph/RemoteTech2/wiki/FAQ#why-do-i-lose-my-connection-when-undocking-two-ships

I'm not sure. I have the long range dish at Kerbin targetting the mothership directly (and vice versa from the mothership) but I suppose it's possible that the Kerbin-orbiting satellite might lose LOS for a short time. But wouldn't connection be restored when it gets LOS again? The article seems to point to the issue of targeting "active vessel" which, while interesting, is not the case here.