Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

I'm not sure. I have the long range dish at Kerbin targetting the mothership directly (and vice versa from the mothership) but I suppose it's possible that the Kerbin-orbiting satellite might lose LOS for a short time. But wouldn't connection be restored when it gets LOS again? The article seems to point to the issue of targeting "active vessel" which, while interesting, is not the case here.

Sorry, I had to ask.

best to have both a small dish and a antana on all probes. check out the aies dish it has a small dish thats perfect for thos it has a 20 cone and a 90Mm range

The probe does have an antenna but as I said, it's not working correctly. And I can't use a dish as this probe is designed for entering Eve's atmosphere. It would get ripped off. Besides, then I would need direct connection to the probe, which is the issue. A direct connection should not be needed if the relay system is working, which it apparently is not.

I'm going to report this as a bug unless someone has some better idea. Perhaps RT2 gets confused if a probe is part of a mothership for a long time before detachment. Maybe once the ship is one piece it "forgets" that there are antennas attached to the probe. I am willing to submit logs and/or saves if it would help fix this.

Edit: I'm pretty sure this is a bug now. I tried reloading my quicksave to try a different approach. Now, the probe won't even allow control via the built-in probe transmitter. As soon as I undock it says "No connection". To test it, I tried running a science experiment on the probe *while still attached to the mothership* and when I click "Transmit Data" it says "No Comms device on this Vessel". Which is not true. So RemoteTech is having a problem keeping track of which subassemblies of a ship have Comms and which don't.

Edited by mdapol
New information

Question 1: How do I attach the output_log.txt?

Question 2: Since RT2 is broken, can I disable it, land my probes, and then re-enable it? Or will that break all of the other 12 RT2 probes I have flying interplanetary missions making them all useless?

Output_log: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7420254/output_log.txt

Edited by mdapol
More information

Question 1: How do I attach the output_log.txt?

Question 2: Since RT2 is broken, can I disable it, land my probes, and then re-enable it? Or will that break all of the other 12 RT2 probes I have flying interplanetary missions making them all useless?

1. Upload it somewhere, if it's big zip it first. (Google drive, Dropbox)

2. Yes, move RemoteTech2.dll from its plugin folder.

The parts are still there and that's what matters. The craft won't disappear. But they (unmanned ones) probably won't work and certainly future craft won't work if you put the dll back.

The parts are still there and that's what matters. The craft won't disappear. But they (unmanned ones) probably won't work and certainly future craft won't work if you put the dll back.

Not true, they work fine. In fact they'll start working if they didn't have signal before. Putting dll back won't work for new craft as they don't auto-target a long range dish so unless they're in omni range they won't get a connection.

Not true, they work fine. In fact they'll start working if they didn't have signal before. Putting dll back won't work for new craft as they don't auto-target a long range dish so unless they're in omni range they won't get a connection.

I'm worried about the long-range probes that only have dish connections. You're saying that they will be ok? And what did you mean by "they'll start working if they didn't have signal before?"

I'm worried about the long-range probes that only have dish connections. You're saying that they will be ok? And what did you mean by "they'll start working if they didn't have signal before?"

I mean that RemoteTech stores where dishes point in your save file in the part itself. Since you're removing the DLL, nothing's gonna write that info anymore. Your existing probes shouldn't break, but I'd keep a copy of the old save file in case you need to edit the new one.

Thanks for the help. I decided to give it one more try but this time I brought my Gilly probe into close orbit around Kerbin. I think it took about 2 hours cumulative burn time but it has plenty of delta-v (yeah, ion drive). By running several "simulations" I got the timing down so that the probe was able to act as a relay during EDL. Managed to get both landers down although the Kraken took one shortly after landing.

Actually if you look at the front page, I was looking for input on if the 0.24 version of RT2 should break compatibility with 0.23 saves. Given the score of about 20 against 1, it will.

And 0.24 is almost guaranteed to break 0.23 RT2. It's a major mod.

This is just my opinion.

KSP is not a finished game. People should not be building saves they are not prepared to be broken by updates. Otherwise backwards compatibility will start becoming a major drag on future development.

Break the old saves.

This is just my opinion.

KSP is not a finished game. People should not be building saves they are not prepared to be broken by updates. Otherwise backwards compatibility will start becoming a major drag on future development.

Break the old saves.

Considering 0.23.5 (ARM) breaks saves because of the asteroids, it doesn't matter if RT2 breaks 0.24.

I'd modify the sentiment, barely -- if people build saves that they don't want broken by updates, then they ought to have a "no update" install for that save. I've still got a 0.18.4 save tooling along which I'm quite content with .. though as it falls further and further off the curve, it gets harder to go back to, its still got many of my first accomplishments in it, so its nostalgic to play it for a while.

Really needs some mechanic to "lock" satellite constellations' orbital separation, second perfect orbital periods still result in sats bunching up in useless orbits after some time-warping, you can do it using hyper-edit, but that feels like cheating, even if you're almost there manually, some in-mod mechanic to do it would be nice, "maintain orbit" etc, could very slowly spend fuel and need some power to run.

I solve the problem with Kerbal Engineer...just have to get the orbits close, and then match the period exactly, down to the 1/10th of a second. Once you get within a few seconds, you can burn/RCS right next to the normal vector to feather the period a bit until it's exact.

If all of your satellites have the same period in that range, they will stay aligned for years. Also, having them as far apart as possible (longest period possible) will cause less error over time. Finally, using the 5 Mm antennas at max operational range between relays will still guarantee that the 3 Mm antenna will attach to one of your satellites while in LKO.

It's worth noting that a broken save file can always be fixed. They are text files, so re-editing them to be compatible with new features is not a problem. The only thing that could remain broken are any individual mods themselves that are simply not compatible with the new save file. The overall game however will still be playable.

Is there a way to use the autopilot to trigger staging, action groups etc?

Yes. Type in something in the box labeled "manual delay", then hit enter (I can't tell you how many times I forgot to), then use keyboard/mouse as usual. All commands will get delayed, although things like manual slewing won't show up in the queue.

Oh, and set manual delay to zero when you're done. Another thing that's easy to forget, until you start wondering why your ship "isn't responding". :wink:

I just remembered to report an issue I experienced - I set my spacecraft to burn through one stage into another but when the stage jettisoned the throttle reset to 0. I used the Klockheed Martian smart part to detect the empty fuel and trigger the next stage, so I can see why RT2 reacted this way as normally if the stage ran out of fuel when there was no connection it would just be a dead stage. Hopefully something can be done about that tho

inb4 broken on 0.23.5. Not working on RT until the weekend and even then I won't be releasing a new version till 0.24. Not that I can anyway - I don't have the source for the community hotfix.

Reason it's taking ages is because.

1) I'm busy.

2) I'm essentially restructuring the entire project at only 4-5 hours a week.

Edited by Cilph

I for one am just happy youre still working on the plugin. This was the first mod i installed and still is one of my favorite and must have plugins. Take your time. Ill probably be waiting for 0.24 before i start playing again anyway

Regarding the compatibility breaking at .24:

Do it if it makes things easier for you now and in the future and if it offers better ... anything opposed to keeping compatibility.

Seeing that you are short on time already, I would say just go for it and break it, so you can rebuild it in time for .24! :)

inb4 broken on 0.23.5. Not working on RT until the weekend and even then I won't be releasing a new version till 0.24. Not that I can anyway - I don't have the source for the community hotfix.

Reason it's taking ages is because.

1) I'm busy.

2) I'm essentially restructuring the entire project at only 4-5 hours a week.

Understandable.

We can be content with the ARM stuff until then. Thank you for the time you are willing to commit to this free mod!