Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

Since everybody is throwing out hotfix DLLs, here's my take at it.

It's built from mloftis' GitHub repo, which seems to include the duplication bugfix (at least it has commits claiming to do so).

The single change I made is an additional null check in the TimeQuadrantPatcher, so the tracking station will display everything but the time delay.

Since I've still not completely wrapped my head around this:

Let's say I want a functional relay network around Kerbin (4 sats in equatorial orbit around Kerbin). I will have to put at least 9 dishes per sat (1 pointed at left partner, 1 at right partner, 1 at KSC, 5 pointed at the other planets (assuming the moons are covered by the angle or I have a remote relay) and 1 pointed at active vessel), right?

Let's say I want a functional relay network around Kerbin (4 sats in equatorial orbit around Kerbin). I will have to put at least 9 dishes per sat (1 pointed at left partner, 1 at right partner, 1 at KSC, 5 pointed at the other planets (assuming the moons are covered by the angle or I have a remote relay) and 1 pointed at active vessel), right?

Wouldn't use active vessel target unless you know how it works best to just target vessel, But thats alot of sat jumping and you can edit the RT2 and Stock parts for each to have 4 targets a dish but by doing that it will brake all connections so best to do that on new game.

Edit was wrong mafe each have 3 targets to keep menu down but if you want to try it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sh90u6ljvxyglri/RT2_3_targets_dishes.zip

just zip up RemoteTech_Antennas.cfg and RemoteTech_Squad_Antennas.cfg so you can go back if you want.

Edited by Mecripp2

Aren't there six other planets (Moho, Eve, Duna, Dres, Jool, Eeloo)?

Your design is logical, but a bit ambitious. The cones you get from planetary targeting are needed when you have (or plan to have) relay satellites around that planet. If a ship is capable of connecting directly to Kerbin, without using a relay/mothership/etc., then it can just use your active vessel dish.

Of course, better safe then sorry -- if you later decide to send a complex orbiter/lander arrangement, then with a dish for every planet you're already covered and don't have to worry about how to handle using the orbiter as a relay (which is the part that most players tend to get confused by).

On my satellites I also have dishes for the Mun and Minmus, because both moons have relays for controlling probes on the far side. But that's more a quirk of how my own exploration program panned out, you may not need those.

EDIT: it's better to point a dish at Kerbin instead of specifically KSC, that way ships in low orbit are also within the cone. If you've researched the Communotron 32, you don't need a Kerbin dish at all.

Edited by Starstrider42

Yes, there are. That's what happens when you count all the other planets and then subtract 1 for Kerbin...

Alternatively: The Kerbin Astronomical Society has determined that Eeloo doesn't actually fulfill the criteria for a planet, and is in fact a dwarf planet. :P

Your design is logical, but a bit ambitious. The cones you get from planetary targeting are needed when you have (or plan to have) relay satellites around that planet. If a ship is capable of connecting directly to Kerbin, without using a relay/mothership/etc., then it can just use your active vessel dish.

Of course, better safe then sorry -- if you later decide to send a complex orbiter/lander arrangement, then with a dish for every planet you're already covered and don't have to worry about how to handle using the orbiter as a relay (which is the part that most players tend to get confused by).

On my satellites I also have dishes for the Mun and Minmus, because both moons have relays for controlling probes on the far side. But that's more a quirk of how my own exploration program panned out, you may not need those.

EDIT: it's better to point a dish at Kerbin instead of specifically KSC, that way ships in low orbit are also within the cone. If you've researched the Communotron 32, you don't need a Kerbin dish at all.

My setup uses 'comm arrays' (as I call them) that are essentially unmanned space stations (go big or go home) with a large solar array on one side and the array of dishes and antennas on the other. Four in orbit around Kerbin, at an altitude of ~1000km. I don't use 1000km orbits for anything else, so they're out of the way. Each has two omnis (Communotron 32s or occasionally AIES omnis) to connect to eachother and KSC; only one is needed but I like the symmetry. Next up are two short range dishes, one pointed at the Mun and one at Minmus. It also has four medium range dishes (Moho, Eve, Duna and Dres). Finally 3 dishes from the longest range category. One points at Jool, one points at Eeloo, and one points at Active Vessel. That last one means I generally have a connection when I'm out in Kerbol orbit performing interplanetary manuevers.

Can somebody show me how to have stock antennas and RT2 antennas at the same time.

i'm asking this because i had to disable the RT2 (renamed the plugin) and the stock antennas where not working, like stock.

I mean, the stock antenna would transmit science without a problemm but now, after the rename of the RT2 plugin, all stock antennas are out.

Can someone help??

Can somebody show me how to have stock antennas and RT2 antennas at the same time.

i'm asking this because i had to disable the RT2 (renamed the plugin) and the stock antennas where not working, like stock.

I mean, the stock antenna would transmit science without a problemm but now, after the rename of the RT2 plugin, all stock antennas are out.

Can someone help??

The remote-tech download includes a "RemoteTech_Squad_Antennas.cfg" that modifies the stock antennas to work as RemoteTech enabled ones (such as disabling science transmission unless a signal can be relayed to KSC). If you remove the dll, the modifications no longer work, and the stock behavior is still disabled.

I think you can bypass that by renaming that file to an extension other than ".cfg", or removing it. That will revert the part.cfg definitions for those parts back to stock, which should re-enable stock transmission functionality.

If you have the largest omnidirectional antenna (Communitron 32) unlocked, you won't need a dish to reach KSC or the other local sattelites.

You will need a small dish to reach Mun or Minmus, however.

My current setup is three sattelites in semi-synchronous orbit with dishes to eachother, KSC, and Mun and the small omni antenna. (I didn't have the big omni antenna unlocked at the time). Then I put in a fully synchronous orbit two satellites for each planet (and Minmus). Those have a large dish and a large omni antenna each.

My current setup is three sattelites in semi-synchronous orbit with dishes to eachother, KSC, and Mun and the small omni antenna. (I didn't have the big omni antenna unlocked at the time). Then I put in a fully synchronous orbit two satellites for each planet (and Minmus). Those have a large dish and a large omni antenna each.

Wouldn't it be better to have it the other way around? The lower your interplanetary comsats are, the sooner your probes can just point a cone at Kerbin and have a guaranteed connection.

My com system starts as a series (6-10) of small com relays in a 150km orbit around kerbin, half get a mun dish, the other half get a minimus dish. For interplanetary coms I send large dishes in polar stationary orbits. The 150km relays give me super redundancy in getting a signal to my large relays.

Wouldn't it be better to have it the other way around? The lower your interplanetary comsats are, the sooner your probes can just point a cone at Kerbin and have a guaranteed connection.

Probably, but that's the order that the equipment unlocks in career mode.

My com system starts as a series (6-10) of small com relays in a 150km orbit around kerbin, half get a mun dish, the other half get a minimus dish. For interplanetary coms I send large dishes in polar stationary orbits. The 150km relays give me super redundancy in getting a signal to my large relays.

There's a dish with a 45-degree cone that reaches out to Minmus that would be well-suited for Mun as well which is what I plan on using.

Also, what is a polar stationary orbit??

There's a dish with a 45-degree cone that reaches out to Minmus that would be well-suited for Mun as well which is what I plan on using.

Also, what is a polar stationary orbit??

Half the dishes are aimed at Mun, half at Min, sometimes theres overlap but not always. Keeping them aimed separately gets me a nicer cone spread. And yeah, touchscreen and fat fingers are a bad combo, I put my interplanetary dishes in a highly elliptical polar orbit, throw it about 23 degrees off a polar orbit and you almost never have kerbin get in the way. I got the idea from a molniya orbit.

Im having some problems with this mod, installed it all correct, installed the community fix, i try to launch, all ok, then, it says i don't have ANY communications, i have antennas and all, it just doesn't work, it says i don't have any communication, i CAN actually control SAS, RCS, move the probe, but i cannot interact with anything, open any antennas, do science, nothing!

Any ideas why this weird behaivour?

Im having some problems with this mod, installed it all correct, installed the community fix, i try to launch, all ok, then, it says i don't have ANY communications, i have antennas and all, it just doesn't work, it says i don't have any communication, i CAN actually control SAS, RCS, move the probe, but i cannot interact with anything, open any antennas, do science, nothing!

Any ideas why this weird behaivour?

Nope. Can't think of anything that would let you control slewing but not let you open an antenna. A non-stock probe core would let you control things while having "no connection", but that would give you control of everything.

Actually, wait. Did you try to open the antenna by right-clicking it? The stock system of "antennas open when needed" is disabled by RT2.

Edited by Starstrider42

For my interplanetary communications network, I took an approach similar to the real-world Deep Space Network with ground stations. They have a dish pointing at every planet, and a couple to spare to point at missions in transit between planets.

screenshot29.png

I have three large ground stations on Kerbin; one at KSC, and two others 120° in longitude apart at 46° E and 166° E. Getting something that large out there on a suborbital hop was daunting; took 20 parachutes to get them down in one piece. The KSC dish array was just rolled out on wheels over next to the tracking station. (Jeb protested this flagrant display of practicality, but the engineers had the last word on this one.)

screenshot25.png

Kerbosynchronous satellites relay the ground stations back to Mission Control. There's a beacon on the Mun at the future site of a base, which points at whatever ground station(s) have line-of-sight. I also have six equidistant satellites in a 90-minute orbit equipped with omnidirectional antennas to handle all low orbit communications.

screenshot24.png

I'm also currently deploying similar satellite dish arrays out to Kerbin's L4 and L5 points (yes, I know the game doesn't simulate Lagrange points) in advance of my first interplanetary missions. Since the beam width of interplanetary-class dishes isn't wide enough to subtend Kerbin's diameter until you're nearly a million kilometers out, I found it prudent to provide more distant relays for vessels to keep in communication when just outside Kerbin's SOI. Better a delayed signal than an intermittent one, or none at all.

I'm also currently deploying similar satellite dish arrays out to Kerbin's L4 and L5 points (yes, I know the game doesn't simulate Lagrange points) in advance of my first interplanetary missions. Since the beam width of interplanetary-class dishes isn't wide enough to subtend Kerbin's diameter until you're nearly a million kilometers out, I found it prudent to provide more distant relays for vessels to keep in communication when just outside Kerbin's SOI. Better a delayed signal than an intermittent one, or none at all.

Oooh, I think you're the first one to suggest that. And I guess a minute and a half delay doesn't really matter much in interplanetary space.

So I'm sure this has been asked a lot and I'm sorry I'm too lazy to read through the last 40 pages. I see htat it does not work in .23.5 but that there is a hotfix. How is the hotfix installed? Over the normal .23 download or completely by itself? Or are you still playing .23?

Thanks!

So I'm sure this has been asked a lot and I'm sorry I'm too lazy to read through the last 40 pages. I see htat it does not work in .23.5 but that there is a hotfix. How is the hotfix installed? Over the normal .23 download or completely by itself? Or are you still playing .23?

Thanks!

sorry to say if u lazy most dont bother to help go read some.

@slime crusher dont use the 2.0.1 MM it dont like white spaces and other issues redported. to me sounds like your mm rt2 settings not get applied.

Thanks!

I posted a new hotfix a few pages back.

Here is a direct link to a fixed dll: RemoteTech2.dll

It should contain all recent community hotfixes and a fix for the Tracking Station that doesn't disable the comm delay completely.

can anyone please help with this? I seem to be having the issue as slimecrusher a few posts up.

im new to RT2. I seem to have done everything correctly, i even grabbed the hotfix, i watched a few tutorials and i just cant seem to get any connection.

I build a simple probe, stayputnik, battery, some fuel and engines, and a reflectron dp10. this is in RSS with most of the overhaul mods and in career mode.

now on the launch pad with a launch clamp.. right click on clamp and probe core and i have omni range at 5k and 3k as they should be, but the reflectron is at 0 range and is status:off. i cant click to turn it on or i get the no connection error, I have no connection at all indicated by the red calculator in the upper left of the screen. What gives here?

Arent the reflectrons supposed to be active by default? its just showing off and i cant do anything about it or i get an error message. i cant throttle up, pitch or do any controling what so ever or i get an connection error message, however strangely i can toggle sas and rcs as normal, i can even space bar to attempt to stage and this will release the launch clamp but my probe just falls to the ground.

also strangly enough, the AIES CommTech DF-RD antenna shows a status: operational and a proper omni range of 1Mm but i still have no connection and cant do anything.

Manned pods are local control only and i cant establish any sort of connection with them either. Does anyone know what could be going on here?

sorry to say if u lazy most dont bother to help go read some.

@slime crusher dont use the 2.0.1 MM it dont like white spaces and other issues redported. to me sounds like your mm rt2 settings not get applied.

I do my fair share of reading and posting of other topics on kerbal. I'm sorry to say that not everyone has the time in the world to be an expert of every possible thing. I would love to read some information on the hotfix but sadly there is no clear way to find that information..which is what I was asking for. It doesn't help me to read who knows how many pages of unrelated issues or questions about RT2. It's sad that you took the time to respond only to tell me to "read more". The reason I love this community is that there is such a vast collection of knowledge that it is easier to ask then to stumble through the dark. Is that not the reason for forums in the first place?

Having said that, thank you jinks for linking me a fix.

Edit: After installing and testing I'm still getting a bug where a pink box is over all places where RT2 buttons should be...like the red dot where KSC should be or the connection button in the map screen.

Edited by How2FoldSoup