Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

... to put the project on hiatus.

I sensed this was coming, and that is one reason I did not post here lately, no need to put further pressure on you. Still, sad :(.

Too many new features were discussed since version 1.3.3 and knowing there was effort to bring some in for KSP 0.24 helped to mitigate the wait.

You said you're going to release, but also you can't deliver. Quite vague, what we should expect to find with the next release (possibly final by you), just compatibility with KSP restored and the same functionality of 1.3.3?

I'd like to see a nice stable version, and then someone takes the reins and does the bug-fixes or takes it over.

Really kicking myself in the *** and considering learning how to mod for KSP though.

I sensed this was coming, and that is one reason I did not post here lately, no need to put further pressure on you. Still, sad :(.

Too many new features were discussed since version 1.3.3 and knowing there was effort to bring some in for KSP 0.24 helped to mitigate the wait.

You said you're going to release, but also you can't deliver. Quite vague, what we should expect to find with the next release (possibly final by you), just compatibility with KSP restored and the same functionality of 1.3.3?

I can't deliver on time, but I can deliver. Eventually. I can't just let the mod die or disappoint JDP in this fashion. Once a revamp of the project is out, I could update on a feature-by-feature basis. All this mess started because I changed the entire architecture of the plugin and added twenty features at once on top of it.

I'd like to see a nice stable version, and then someone takes the reins and does the bug-fixes or takes it over.

Really kicking myself in the *** and considering learning how to mod for KSP though.

That's how I wish to leave the project as well, and I will work towards that. But that won't be at the release of 0.24.

Edited by Cilph

I can't deliver on time, but I can deliver. Eventually. I can't just let the mod die or disappoint JDP in this fashion.

Isn't there anyone who could join or take on the development, it's such a great mod. otherwise there would be no reason to have sattelites around :(

Isn't there anyone who could join or take on the development, it's such a great mod. otherwise there would be no reason to have sattelites around :(

Like I said, code is GPL. If anyone wants to take on the project, let me know. It'd have to be a fork and not a continuation since I'm not -dropping- the project quite yet. However my local version of the code is not in a state that I wish to leave to anyone. Better to fork it from the 0.23 christmas release.

I'm massively conflicted here. I want to continue devving, but I don't want to disappoint people by taking so damn long.

Edited by Cilph

I can't deliver on time, but I can deliver. Eventually. I can't just let the mod die or disappoint JDP in this fashion. Once a revamp of the project is out, I could update on a feature-by-feature basis. All this mess started because I changed the entire architecture of the plugin and added twenty features at once on top of it.

Thanks for that, brings some hope back.

May I ask you to reconsider the "[HIATUS]" written with the OP, then? Too often I found "hiatus" to be the final word with mods (not talking KSP mods here).

When you keep developing for next releases, though at a slower pace than you (and us all) would like, that's not a hiatus at all.

But, when a developer takes some time out, to come back is all the more painful (and more so if the code was not left is a clean state), often enough to prevent any effort at bringing a project back.

...I can't just let the mod die or disappoint JDP in this fashion...

Just quickly surfacing out of my own work-induced exile.

You need not worry about dissapointing me in any way. Quite the opposite, I've been extremely impressed with what you where able to do with the core concept; far beyond my own coding abilities.

If work leaves you no time and energy to continue the mod, then I wholly accept, and indeed recommend that you stop developing. Remember, that's exactly what I did myself when you took over. My current work is simply too time-consuming, exhausting and rewarding to do much else.

Modding is a hobby, and done entirely because it's fun. With such things, IRL always comes first.

You've done very well in your tenure as lead dev. If you have to pass the torch to whomever wants to continue the mod, or let the mod pass into oblivion, then that's not at all a bad thing, it's simply how modding works.

tl;dr

May I propose continuing the development as a team project? This way you could still work on the mod while others could help fixing bugs or implementing new features and therefore development would continue a lot quicker.

May I propose continuing the development as a team project? This way you could still work on the mod while others could help fixing bugs or implementing new features and therefore development would continue a lot quicker.

I think the problem is no one has stepped forward to help, not his unwillingness to accept it

I think the problem is no one has stepped forward to help, not his unwillingness to accept it

Some have stepped forward actually. I may take up on the offer once I get something stable going that can be iterated upon.

Like I said, code is GPL. If anyone wants to take on the project, let me know. It'd have to be a fork and not a continuation since I'm not -dropping- the project quite yet. However my local version of the code is not in a state that I wish to leave to anyone. Better to fork it from the 0.23 christmas release.

A bit sad about that part. I get it that the revamped code is not up to your standard yet but I'm sure it's a nice piece of code and I'd like to see it :)

GentlemanJack, do you see the "cone" drawn in the Map view? That should give you an idea of the radius you'll get at different distances.

Also, what range are you at? If you're testing your connection at moderately short range, then, yes, you're going to have exactly the problem you described. Also at long range, if your Kerbin sats are in a very high orbit (e.g., "I'll just put them out beyond Minmus"), you increase the required cone angle to make a connection to all of them. The huge unfoldable, of course, has the narrowest "cone", which exacerbates any of these issues!

Currently, the probe is still in the Kerbin system, further than the Mun but closer than Minmus. I have it pointed at one of the sats in orbit and that sat has its dish pointed at the probe. For now, i'll always have connection but i'll have to wait till i have line of sight of the sat in orbit. Once i'm further out then Dres, i'll point it at Kerbin.

Some have stepped forward actually. I may take up on the offer once I get something stable going that can be iterated upon.

There are plenty of programmers about the forums. In a couple of weeks I can help contribute.

Edited by Raven.
My previous post didn't make any sense.

Can't agree with this sentiment enough. :)

I can. I know it can be difficult handing your work over to be potentially butchered by someone but who cares? As a player I certainly don't care who does the work, I'm just glad it's there, and I miss it when it's not.

Cliph no one thinks any less of you for handing off the reins in fact it shows how responsible you are admitting that you are done and letting someone else take over.

Unlike some mod authors

*cough* *cough* *Bac9* *cough*

Well, to be fair, the license of B9 Aerospace allows ANYONE to mdify and redistribute it, so anyone can take over. The thing is, nobody has taken the reins yet, even though they're available. I think it might be because B9 is such a huge project, and most addon makers couldn't match B9's style and art skillz.

Alright, I thought I understood how this works but apparently not. Or I'm missing something. I have my three ComSats in orbit around Kerbin pointing at Mun. I have the one ComSat in leading orbit from the Mun pointing at Kerbin. For some reason however all it will do is connect to Mission Control. Once MC orbits around Kerbin I lose my connection, even tho all the satellites are clearly within the transmission cones. This is running on 0.23.5 with this hotfix. If I point the dish at a specific ComSat in Kerbin orbit, I get no response (unless that ComSat dish is also pointing at the Mun ComSat). If I point the dish at MC I get a link, and again pointing at Kerbin just links me with MC.

N/m I just went back and re-read the docs. Blast. Oh well it will just be a bit more fiddling but I can make it work still now that I know what the problem is.

2nd edit: Thx anyways Starwaster for the response

Edited by Gaiiden

Alright, I thought I understood how this works but apparently not. Or I'm missing something. I have my three ComSats in orbit around Kerbin pointing at Mun. I have the one ComSat in leading orbit from the Mun pointing at Kerbin. For some reason however all it will do is connect to Mission Control. Once MC orbits around Kerbin I lose my connection, even tho all the satellites are clearly within the transmission cones. This is running on 0.23.5 with this hotfix. If I point the dish at a specific ComSat in Kerbin orbit, I get no response (unless that ComSat dish is also pointing at the Mun ComSat). If I point the dish at MC I get a link, and again pointing at Kerbin just links me with MC.

Any ideas?

http://www.blade-edge.com/images/forums/ksp/dishprob.jpg

When you say it's in "leading orbit", does that mean it's outside the Mun's SoI? Cones only work for satellites within the target body's SoI; it's a known limitation.

This mod is what makes me tick on KSP otherwise there's no point of sending kerbals into space, just probes.

Hope you can solve it or that it becomes vanilla, because I just loose interest if don't need comm sats around to communicate, even with all the other realism mods (deadly reentry, FAR, etc...)

Great job for all that you have done so far, it's just brilliant

sad news, Cilph, but I agree with the other's sentiments -- thank you for stepping up to the plate, but all the more, thank you for having the wisdom to know when to step down. Your personal life, happiness, etc, are more important than a mod, and taking it on is about the same as taking on a second job.

Proposal:

As others have said, I'd like to see this continue, ideally as a community project with multiple contributors.

Let's take some inventory:

I'm in -- experienced game dev with C#/Unity experience. However, I've also a full-time job, an unpublished mod I'm working on, and a child, so I can't commit at the ferram4 level of support. I'd be happy to take on a leadership role, managing a github, pull requests, etc, and working on it as much as my time allows, but I'd need plenty of support.

If I might suggest, and if they are willing, maybe JDP, Cilph, and I as 'moderators' of a github repo, with the community supporting via pull request. This removes any single-point of failure if somebody goes absent; pays homage to the gentlemen who have invested plenty of authorship in it; reduces the pressure on any single individual; and sets us up in more of a team/democratic style than an autocratic one.

I'd also like to have a "highly active" forum member commit to take on an "official build" role; this would be somebody committed to turning around a quick release of master after Squad makes a release. (E.g., if that happens during a workday, none of the three of us would be able to jump on it immediately). This person would compile against the new build, test locally to ensure that things work, proficient enough as a coder to get past any small changes that are required to get things working. They would then post to thread, upload to Spaceport + one other location, and submit a pull-request with any changes back to master.

Who else is "in", and what skills can you contribute?

Openings for: leads (if either JDP or Cilph decline), programmers (all), modellers (at least one!), a documentation writer, and a you tube tutorial.

Openings for: leads (if either JDP or Cilph decline), programmers (all), modellers (at least one!), a documentation writer, and a you tube tutorial.

RL is starting to limit my KSP activities a bit, but I plan to continue writing documentation for the new release. When it's ready, I'll also fork over a copy for the current version.

EDIT: at least, that was the original plan. If the new version is going to be delayed by reorganizations, it may be more efficient to do it in the other order.

Edited by Starstrider42