Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

*adds right now*

hehe.....

You're doing great work on this addon man. I know it took a lot to step back from the original scope, but I think you're going to end up happier now with this way instead of trying to do it all. :)

Sadly haven't had much time to test for you due to my schedule, but I'm devoting tonight and tomorrow to doing some playtesting and if all goes well, I'll end up with my first successful Moho mission. :)

A few of us are working on tech tree and RT2 integration into the AIES pack. It includes 9 dishes/antennae (one redundant with RT2 since Carmics did some of the RT2 models). We're trying to provide some variety in antenna options even beyond RT2 and stock, so if you have opinions of how some of these could fit in, then jump over and weigh in.

Im able to manage a com-sat system which covers the whole orbital area around kerbin - but only with change a .cfg to set the length from 5.00 Mm to 7.5 Mm. Kind of cheating. But without that I cannot make it up to a synched orbit.

Keosync is at 2868km, a bit beyond the range of the starter omni antenna. Instead, put 6+ sats in a ring at at half-sync (1585km) so there's always one or two within range of KSC, and they're also within range of each other so signals can pass around the whole ring. Then you get no more blackouts in space near Kerbin.

Then you can put something with an omni and a dish or two up at keosync (2868.7km). the omni will hit your half-sync ring, and the dish can point at Mun or Minmus

maybe put a matching pair opposite KSC to keep Mun/Minmus online 24/7 (or is it 6/7 since Kerbin's day is 6 hours?)

highly elliptical polar orbits become pretty useful around this point ;)

see my half-sync ring + two keosync sats - I set the pictured craft in an orbit with apo at 1585km and orbital period of 7/8 * 3h (2:37:30, peri about 1219km), then dropped off a sat every time I got to apo, then circularised the sat targeting an orbital period of exactly 3h (can see reading of 2:59:60.0 pictured)

Yes, I placed every last one manually using only the orbital period readout from KER. MJ was used just for orientation and ascent autopilot, but not injection orbits or circularising since it's frankly not accurate enough.

With a range of 2.5Mm you need >5.5 sats at half-sync for an unbroken, zero blackout ring. I went with 8 for redundancy and because I didn't know how accurately I could position them.

Got yourself a near GPS setup there, eh? Though for a true GPS, you need 26 of them in orbits of different inclinations.

But that's not important.

Anyone know if the planet occlusion effect is based on the surface mesh, or if it's based on the sea-level sphere of the planet? I'm wondering because I've got a sat truck I'm driving out trying to find the range of a surface station on kerbin. If it's using just a simple sphere setup, I could simply calculate for the locus and go from there.

EDIT:

Looks like the sea-level sphere from testing.

So the equation for calculating LOS of an antenna is as follows.

Let D be the radio horizon, R is the radius of the planet/moon, and H is the height of the antenna vehicle above the planet or moon's sea level/zero altitude level. (Not the height above the terrain mesh.)

D^2 = (R + H)^2 - R^2

As a test case, if I have an antenna truck (using a DEMV mk 2 in this case) sitting at a location that has an altitude of 365 m.

Then the equation fills in as:

D^2 (600,000 + 365)^2 - 600,000^2

First simplify...

600,365^2 - 600,000^2

Simplify more...

3.60438e^11 - 3.6e^11

Subtract of course...

4.38133e8

D^2 = 431,833,000

Now root it:

D = 20931.6 m

Dlos is 20.9 km at an altitude of 365 meters on Kerbin.

Edited by AdmiralTigerclaw

Some links that might help.

If you are looking for orbital periods around Kerbin or want to know how low a non-stationary orbit can be and stuff - basic geometry might be handy though.

http://files.arklyffe.com/orbcalc.html

This site is in German, but maybe its enough to know a, b, c, α, β, γ ...

http://www.arndt-bruenner.de/mathe/scripts/Dreiecksberechnung.htm#rechner

Anyone know if the planet occlusion effect is based on the surface mesh, or if it's based on the sea-level sphere of the planet? I'm wondering because I've got a sat truck I'm driving out trying to find the range of a surface station on kerbin. If it's using just a simple sphere setup, I could simply calculate for the locus and go from there.

EDIT:

Looks like the sea-level sphere from testing.

Can confirm the sea-level sphere thing.

Keosync is at 2868km, a bit beyond the range of the starter omni antenna. Instead, put 6+ sats in a ring at at half-sync (1585km) so there's always one or two within range of KSC, and they're also within range of each other so signals can pass around the whole ring. Then you get no more blackouts in space near Kerbin.

Then you can put something with an omni and a dish or two up at keosync (2868.7km). the omni will hit your half-sync ring, and the dish can point at Mun or Minmus

maybe put a matching pair opposite KSC to keep Mun/Minmus online 24/7 (or is it 6/7 since Kerbin's day is 6 hours?)

highly elliptical polar orbits become pretty useful around this point ;)

see my half-sync ring + two keosync sats - I set the pictured craft in an orbit with apo at 1585km and orbital period of 7/8 * 3h (2:37:30, peri about 1219km), then dropped off a sat every time I got to apo, then circularised the sat targeting an orbital period of exactly 3h (can see reading of 2:59:60.0 pictured)

Yes, I placed every last one manually using only the orbital period readout from KER. MJ was used just for orientation and ascent autopilot, but not injection orbits or circularising since it's frankly not accurate enough.

With a range of 2.5Mm you need >5.5 sats at half-sync for an unbroken, zero blackout ring. I went with 8 for redundancy and because I didn't know how accurately I could position them.

Thank you. That helped me. (The problem with synched orbit was that when I try to go to far away from another satellite with my launched one, to make the ring complete, it sometimes happened that I lost contact due to the huge distance caused by the great height. So why I just edited the .cfg to prevent this. I could manage it without editing..but it its frustrating and very time intensive to launch plenty of satellites...but you all know that already^^)

Now I just need to know for what this "dish can point at Mun or Minmus" is for?

What does this do? And what the heck is "active vessel" target?

If I now know these two things also, Im happy :)

Thanks again. And I hope you can answer me this too.

To be honest..I dont want to find out these things by trial&error until I may see what these things are for (too much time intensive). As soon as I know how it all works, I can introduce RT to my existing savegame, with the help of KAS...just attaching dishes and antennas to all unmanned vessels :) (Oh I love all these mods so much :D - but most of them have a little bit bad taste, they lack of documentation/manuals)

Edited by Duke-49th

Alright, i finally fixed that issue.

The game used to add one of my self-made part modules ahead of the part's stocking modules and RT antenna module, which caused the problem, and i then just add !MODULE[...] {} to remove that module first and add it back at the end of the RT's antenna config node.

Now all things are working great.

Oh and one thing i noticed, the stock medium dish has a list of DeployFxModules = 0 and a list of ProgressFxModules = 1, but it seems like they are inverted. I cannot get that dish to deploy when i activate it unless i exchange 0 and 1. That index 0 seems to be pointing to an animation which blinks the light and index 1 is pointing to the extend/retract animation.

Targeting a planet uses a cone of vision instead of a straight connection. Active Vessel means target the currently controlled vessel at any time.

Thank you. Thats interesting - the planet thing..Im curious to know how wide the area around the planet is. But this is what I can find out myself. You guys helped me enough with your answers :)

Alright, i finally fixed that issue.

The game used to add one of my self-made part modules ahead of the part's stocking modules and RT antenna module, which caused the problem, and i then just add !MODULE[...] {} to remove that module first and add it back at the end of the RT's antenna config node.

Now all things are working great.

Oh and one thing i noticed, the stock medium dish has a list of DeployFxModules = 0 and a list of ProgressFxModules = 1, but it seems like they are inverted. I cannot get that dish to deploy when i activate it unless i exchange 0 and 1. That index 0 seems to be pointing to an animation which blinks the light and index 1 is pointing to the extend/retract animation.

ModuleManager messing up the order again with foreign mods. On full stock it does it correctly.

Then you can put something with an omni and a dish or two up at keosync (2868.7km).

To be more precise, 2868,881681 km.

On highest warp levels it can be useful.

Edited by MaxP

Thank you. Thats interesting - the planet thing..Im curious to know how wide the area around the planet is. But this is what I can find out myself. You guys helped me enough with your answers :)

on map screen hit the planet button in bottom right then u see the angle off all the open dishes

Well I am trying now to insert the first ever commsat in my save using a one-tangent orbit, to see if its possible to have line-of-sight with KSC during the circularization. It will spend more fuel than a Hohmann, but fuel is cheap :)

I am doing it in RealKerbin, but shouldn't matter much. I'll report the results later.

So, how does this work with the real sized solar system mod? I can imagine all the dishes are hopelessly underpowered.

I am using a multiplier of 12.5 in RemoteTech_Settings.cfg. I arrived at this number by assuming that an antenna that were designed for 3Mm (Kerbin GEO) should work for Earth GEO. So 3 * 12.5 gives 37.5Mm, just slightly above.

(sorry for doublepost...)

my omnidirectionals don't work it seems, I just made a probe (one for a sat above duna to communicate to kerbin, and one that's going to land for science) .. but because I have to detach these probes from eachother I cant set the dish to my new sat until I undock them, but my omnidirectional antenna on both don't seem to work (or anything else I use antenna on) the main dish has a Kerbin connection, an antenna, and I even did active vessile to one of the dishes. but the probe is dead at that point, cant make changes to dish pointing. it has an antenna. its on.

Edited by CrazyCanadian

Is there an omni on both halves of the craft?

Did you activate all omnis before undocking?

Does every probe have its own power supply?

If you rely on dishes for communication between the two probes, you have to make both dishes to target the active craft before undocking, I think.

Another - probably silly - thought: You switched the active vessel?

Edited by KerbMav

yes yes yes yes yes.... and you cant use the dish to target the other dish when they are attached, and then with no connection you cant do it after the fact either. they both have dishes AND Omni's. if I cheat and boost mission control signal to insane amounts the Omni will pick it up and work. but once I edit back to normal perameters it loses connection. even after I used that control advantage to aim the dish at the other dish.

besides. my understanding is that if the main sat probe has a dish that can and is reaching the kerbin network, then shouldn't the Omni's (that both sides of this craft had) be able to communicate command to eachother.

im wondering if its a glitch because I used a mechjeb case for a probe core on the lander probe. I know your supposed to be able to but that's the only difference between this detachable probe that im trying to connect to and basically all the other sat's on my network that are working correctly (unsure about the antenna I put on each since they are all communicating)

And right now the two antenna are about 50 m apart so distance isn't the issue

il have to do some testing around kerbin and see whats up

Edited by CrazyCanadian

Do you have a dish at Kerbin pointing back at the ship/Duna?

I was just about to edit... after jacking around a bunch I figured out iv done this before.. I had multiple sats pointing signal at duna and active vessel but never set one to actually have a direct link, so I picked one of them, set a direct link up, then adjusted my duna sat and its working fine now, antenna is passing signal off.. I was not paying attention to the fact that I hadn't actually set the connection, and it would work only because I was the active vessel. effectively not passing along signal of course.

thanks for the suggestions :) . solved.

EDIT : I agree with poster below, this coupled with TAC life support mod have really managed to slow me down in a career game, so many more things to deal with for both manned missions and probe missions. love it.

Edited by CrazyCanadian