Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

So how exactly does this mod work? I install, and I get nothing but a cryptic gui on my map screen (no rollover hints or anything) and a red dot at KSC's location on the map screen, no docs in the zip file, no links or any docs in the first post (not that .zip matches the first post... the link goes to something called Remotech Lite), of the parts listed in the first post only the antenna show up in the zip file (no signal processors)... and then when I launch a probe nothing happens (nothing as in there is no noticeable difference from the stock game) in either a career mode game or a sandbox game.

no links or any docs in the first post

The first post is the doc. ;)

of the parts listed in the first post only the antenna show up in the zip file (no signal processors)...

Read again the first post paragraph about signal processors. It explains what they are and, most importantly, which parts have them.

and then when I launch a probe nothing happens (nothing as in there is no noticeable difference from the stock game) in either a career mode game or a sandbox game.

Check the top-left corner of the screen:

- If it says D+000000, then you are piloting a probe that have an active connection to KSC.

- If it says "Local Control" you are either piloting a manned craft, or a probe that does not have RemoteTech configured by default (like the AIES probes). If the latter is your case report here again.

- If it says "No connection" then you are in a probe but the signal with KSC has been lost because Kerbin is in the way, or the probe antenna is too short-ranged (install longer-ranged antenna). You would notice this case because the probe then does not respond to your commands anymore.

The first post is the doc. ;)

Well, except for the whole thing about explaining nothing about how to use the mod, what it's indicators and controls are, etc... sure. There's more documentation in Scott Manley's recent video than provided here.

Read again the first post paragraph about signal processors. It explains what they are and, most importantly, which parts have them.

I read that part - which implies that signal processors are a part, as well as functions added to stock pods. (It's not clear how this is accomplished by simply dropping the appropriate folder into the Gamedata folder... that doesn't touch the stock pods.) But there are no additional options on the stock pods.

Check the top-left corner of the screen:

- If it says D+000000, then you are piloting a probe that have an active connection to KSC.

- If it says "Local Control" you are either piloting a manned craft, or a probe that does not have RemoteTech configured by default (like the AIES probes). If the latter is your case report here again.

- If it says "No connection" then you are in a probe but the signal with KSC has been lost because Kerbin is in the way, or the probe antenna is too short-ranged (install longer-ranged antenna). You would notice this case because the probe then does not respond to your commands anymore.

Well, as I explained, it acts just like the stock game - I don't lose contact when I go behind Kerbin. There are no new options on the antennas or the pods. (Even on the new antennas provided with the plug-in.)

It's a stock OKTO pod, it displays "Local Control" regardless of whether I have LOS to KSC or not.

I read that part - which implies that signal processors are a part

Perhaps Cilph could have worded that better, but no, signal processors are not parts. They are abstracted into the pods, probes and antennas.

It's a stock OKTO pod, it displays "Local Control" regardless of whether I have LOS to KSC or not.

This indicates RemoteTech isn't installed correctly - not implying you did anything wrong. You must have this structure:

GameData\ModuleManager.dll

GameData\RemoteTech2\<bunch of cfgs>

GameData\RemoteTech2\Parts

GameData\RemoteTech2\Plugins

GameData\RemoteTech2\Textures

If you have this structure and still does not work, then, as mentioned in the first line of the first post:

NOTICE: If you have issues or bugs, open an issue on this bugtracker together with your KSP_Data/output_log.txt and persistence.sfs.
Edited by SFJackBauer

(It's not clear how this is accomplished by simply dropping the appropriate folder into the Gamedata folder... that doesn't touch the stock pods.)

Does it need to be clear on how it's accomplished? Anyhoo, it uses the modulemanager.dll to inject data from the remotetech_*.cfg files into the parts to get the desired modules into them. (afaik)

Do you have a kerbal on board? It shouldn't display local control on unmanned probes, even when sitting at the pad as I've just double checked, OCTO-core, nosecone, fuel tank and engine on the pad, D+ 0.000000 is visible instead of local control. (and "no contact" after 3km, due to no antennae installed)

Check the folder structure like SFJackBauer suggested, My guess is a misplaced modulemanager.dll, or possibly some other installed mod having a misplaced modulemanager in it's folder. (there should be only one, regardless of the number of mods installed, at ./gamedata/modulemanager.dll )

I'm guessing DerekL did not install MM correctly.

I concur. Not like that is needed being as you are the one working on it. ;)

@Derek, the pods don't have any options. If you right click on the dishes/ant's that you (hopefully) have on your ship you should see options to set a target and to activate the ant/dish, unless of course its the dipole one which is active by default and doesn't have to have a target set (as it is omni directional).

It's interesting though how so many other people have gotten it to work with the same "limited" information available.

I'm guessing though it's mostly a simple lack of modulemanager.

This indicates RemoteTech isn't installed correctly - not implying you did anything wrong. You must have this structure:

I dropped the Remotech folder straight from the .zip into the Gamedata directory, producing that exact structure.

I'm guessing DerekL did not install MM correctly.

I don't have Module Manager installed at all. There being no documentation or instructions, this is the first time I've even heard that Module Manager was required.

I have an idea that would make this mod much more realistic (and a bit less tedious). Ionosphere simulation.

Basically, a radio antenna under the ionosphere would pretty much always have LOS to all places on the planet, though range over the surface would vary depending on it's size. That would make early Kerbin exploration easier, since you could go over the horizon (say, with an UAV) and still have connection. Also, it'd be useful for suborbital flights and planes.

I dropped the Remotech folder straight from the .zip into the Gamedata directory, producing that exact structure.

I don't have Module Manager installed at all. There being no documentation or instructions, this is the first time I've even heard that Module Manager was required.

It's included in the GameData folder. Drop that folder in place exactly as in the zip. If you have ModuleManager.dll in the GameData folder it should work as intended.

It's included in the GameData folder. Drop that folder in place exactly as in the zip. If you have ModuleManager.dll in the GameData folder it should work as intended.

If it's not working just put the dll in KSP's plugins folder.

I had the tensest moments today in KSP while launching the first satellite to GEO in a single mission, with no other (active) sats in orbit:

This is why I do manned assists for my first kerbosynchronous satellites. My rockets were going over the horizon before circularization and back down they would go.

Edited by BigD145

Well, I found the bug that glitched out Scott Manley's game in one of his interstellar videos, so I decided to put up 1.2.0.

Have fun and don't kill me if anything goes wrong.

593ENm7.gif

Release 1.2.0:

• Fixed (probably) the bug that humiliated me in one of Scott Manley's videos;
  • Flight Computer and kOS integration! (details below); Requires patched dll for now!
  • Fixed Delta-V burns; Cilph can't do basic vector math late at night;
  • "N/A" on TimeQuadrant when no SPU is available; "Connected" when signal delay is disabled;
  • Allow docking node targeting when the other vessel is disconnected;
  • Halved antenna power consumption;
  • Signal Delay is now on by default;
  • Quick hack to not cache lines/cones that are disabled to increase performance for some;
  • Possible fix for long range planet targeting being twitchy;
  • Two new dish parts by Kommit! The KR-7 and KR-14 replace the SS-5 and LL-5 respectively. The old parts will be deprecated but still included so as not to break existing crafts;
  • Settings File is now properly created on load.

kOS integration:

• All immediate mode actions now require signal delay to pass;
  • Steering locks now work when the vessel is disconnected;
  • Action groups no longer trigger when kOS has them blocked;
  • "BATCH" and "DEPLOY" commands to send a list of commands as one packet;

Flight Computer:

• Works pretty much like MechJeb's SmartASS;
  • Use "Enter" to confirm changes in most text fields;
  • Duration format: "12h34m45s" or "12345" for plain seconds;
  • Delta-V burn format: "1234m/s";
  • Cancel commands by clicking on the X in the queue, sends signal ASAP, but delay still applies.
  • Use the queue to view any delayed command; even right-click menu events.

Edited by Cilph

Well, I found the bug that glitched out Scott Manley's game in one of his interstellar videos, so I decided to put up 1.2.0.

Have fun and don't kill me if anything goes wrong.

593ENm7.gif

Release 1.2.0:

• Fixed (probably) the bug that humiliated me in one of Scott Manley's videos;
  • Flight Computer and kOS integration! (details below); Requires patched dll for now!
  • Fixed Delta-V burns; Cilph can't do basic vector math late at night;
  • "N/A" on TimeQuadrant when no SPU is available; "Connected" when signal delay is disabled;
  • Allow docking node targeting when the other vessel is disconnected;
  • Halved antenna power consumption;
  • Signal Delay is now on by default;
  • Quick hack to not cache lines/cones that are disabled to increase performance for some;
  • Possible fix for long range planet targeting being twitchy;
  • Two new dish parts by Kommit! The KR-7 and KR-14 replace the SS-5 and LL-5 respectively. The old parts will be deprecated but still included so as not to break existing crafts;
  • Settings File is now properly created on load.

kOS integration:

• All immediate mode actions now require signal delay to pass;
  • Steering locks now work when the vessel is disconnected;
  • Action groups no longer trigger when kOS has them blocked;
  • "BATCH" and "DEPLOY" commands to send a list of commands as one packet;
  • Requires patched kOS DLL until I merge the changes. Download here.

Flight Computer:

• Works pretty much like MechJeb's SmartASS;
  • Use "Enter" to confirm changes in most text fields;
  • Duration format: "12h34m45s" or "12345" for plain seconds;
  • Delta-V burn format: "1234m/s";
  • Cancel commands by clicking on the X in the queue, sends signal ASAP, but delay still applies.
  • Use the queue to view any delayed command; even right-click menu events.

I watch that Scott Manley vid, what last night. I laughed at him for screwing up something, and it was a real bug. Who knew?