Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

I'll remind everyone that bug reports not messaged or put on the github issue tracker will be from now on completely ignored. Keeping track of them is a huge time waste.

Seriously, we have no way of knowing what is configuration error, an incompatibility error, or an actual bug. That what these threads are *for*, discussing the problems we're having and seeking solutions. Not everything is a bug, and users have no way of determining what is and isn't a bug.

The throttle jitter, it might be possible that it happens when your signal delay is increasing and it 'skips' your input for one frame. It should be fairly harmless.

It's happening on the launch pad too, and it's *far* from harmless, there or on orbit. On the launch pad, it causes your vehicle to drop to the pad and explode. On orbit, it makes it nearly impossible to fly a precision maneuver.

I'll see if I can straighten that out and instead just kill throttle when you have no signal instead of no throttle when no input is received.

Please and thank you! The game is currently unplayable.

Yeah, I searched it online, since it is a game, I thought they were going to be some made up units, but they are not which is pretty awesome. And I also understand what my Communotron 88-88 was not working, I had it pointed at Kerbin and its Cone Angle is pretty low, pointed it at one of my Com Sats and it worked like a charm.

Right now, trying to figure out the most efficient way to put Com Sats around Kerbol so I don''t have to replace them all the time...

**My thanks to the creator of the mod, Cilph, this adds alot to KSP.**

Seriously, we have no way of knowing what is configuration error, an incompatibility error, or an actual bug. That what these threads are *for*, discussing the problems we're having and seeking solutions. Not everything is a bug, and users have no way of determining what is and isn't a bug.

It's happening on the launch pad too, and it's *far* from harmless, there or on orbit. On the launch pad, it causes your vehicle to drop to the pad and explode. On orbit, it makes it nearly impossible to fly a precision maneuver.

Please and thank you! The game is currently unplayable.

Wait, what? These are not single-frame throttle drops? You're not going to drop out of the sky with some minor hiccups. If you want an emergency solution, turn off signal delay in the config file and tell me if that helps.

Also, I'm not saying users can't discuss their bugs and glitches in here. I'm just saying I can't take anyone seriously if it's not accompanied with proper instructions to reproduce + logs + savefile. It wastes too much time.

Edited by Cilph

Wait, what? These are not single-frame throttle drops? You're not going to drop out of the sky with some minor hiccups. If you want an emergency solution, turn off signal delay in the config file and tell me if that helps.

Also, I'm not saying users can't discuss their bugs and glitches in here. I'm just saying I can't take anyone seriously if it's not accompanied with proper instructions to reproduce + logs + savefile. It wastes too much time.

I can't figure out how to edit settings, or even find the option for settings? and yeah, all my unmanned stuff can't get enough lift to go anywhere, just throttle stutter and crash on the pad. Manned craft work fine. Also I know how to get my persistence file, but can someone tell me where to find this output data log thing?

Edited by vardicd

Once you load the game up once, it's RemoteTech_Settings.cfg in the RemoteTech2 folder.

I can't find that- In the Gamedata/remotetech2/ I have, Parts, plugins, textures, remotetech_antennas, remotetech_Mechjeb, remotetech_Squad_Antennas, remotetech_squad_probes. {Parts} is just the parts, {Plugins} only has one file, Remote tech2, and {textures} are the textures. I'm so confused. and Github gives me a error 404 when I try to use it. And trying to open the file in plugins just gives me pages of gibberish

Edited by vardicd

I can't find that- In the Gamedata/remotetech2/ I have, Parts, plugins, textures, remotetech_antennas, remotetech_Mechjeb, remotetech_Squad_Antennas, remotetech_squad_probes. {Parts} is just the parts, {Plugins} only has one file, Remote tech2, and {textures} are the textures. I'm so confused. and Github gives me a error 404 when I try to use it. And trying to open the file in plugins just gives me pages of gibberish

Did you run the plugin at least once? It does create a RemoteTech_Settings.cfg file. The github is simply at https://github.com/Cilph/RemoteTech2/issues?state=open , I don't see how it is hard to find. It's listed twice in the first post.

EDIT: I couldn't get the save file to appear from loading the game, sorry. Play with the filters in the map view lower right corner and it should pop up. I do not know why it didn't work in the first place as it was an issue I explicitly fixed for this version.

Edited by Cilph

Did you run the plugin at least once? It does create a RemoteTech_Settings.cfg file. The github is simply at https://github.com/Cilph/RemoteTech2/issues?state=open , I don't see how it is hard to find. It's listed twice in the first post.

Yes, I've been using this mod since just a few days after you released it. I can go to Github, but when I click on new issue, it sends me to a page that says error 404, this is not the page you're looking for.

Yes, I've been using this mod since just a few days after you released it. I can go to Github, but when I click on new issue, it sends me to a page that says error 404, this is not the page you're looking for.

I couldn't get the save file to appear from loading the game, sorry. Play with the filters in the map view lower right corner and it should pop up. I do not know why it didn't work in the first place as it was an issue I explicitly fixed for this version.

I couldn't get the save file to appear from loading the game, sorry. Play with the filters in the map view lower right corner and it should pop up. I do not know why it didn't work in the first place as it was an issue I explicitly fixed for this version.

Okay, that made it appear. Also, it appears this stutter issue is a conflict with mechjeb, when I removed the Mechjeb mod, the stutter vanished. testing further

Okay, that made it appear. Also, it appears this stutter issue is a conflict with mechjeb, when I removed the Mechjeb mod, the stutter vanished. testing further

confirmed conflict with mechjeb in the latest version, clean install with only remote tech is fine, add the mechjeb mod, and throttle stutter occurs. setting time delay to false removes throttle stutter. still can't get Github to work with me. :(

confirmed conflict with mechjeb in the latest version, clean install with only remote tech is fine, add the mechjeb mod, and throttle stutter occurs. setting time delay to false removes throttle stutter. still can't get Github to work with me. :(

Yep, the "jitter" is has been a known bug with kOS and MJ for a while now. I guess it's just that new people are using it and havent' seen the previous posts on the kOS thread about it.

I'm working through a variety of issues on mine. One is already on the bugtracker courtesy of someone else that I've now encountered a second time in a somewhat different manner but I'm having trouble getting it to duplicate. I'm going to try and put together a stock case where it's duplicatable, but I suspect it's related to bridging omnidirectional antenna and dishes (rover/lander/etc with omni -> mothership with omni + dishes -> Kerbin constellation with omni + dishes -> KSC = problems, sometimes). That I've got AIES antenna that I'm modded into the game and whatnot makes it difficult to rule out a problem on my end, so I'll rebuild it with just stock + RT2 parts. But I've seen it a few times now.

I've also just experienced another problem twice with the aforementioned mothership while trying to nail down the other behavior: after undocking a lander and switching focus the ship then loses all velocity and is left in a free-fall. I'll try and get that to duplicate as well, but I've done that maneuver several times and it's only happened twice, so its also not easily duplicated, and may not be related to RT2 at all. Could be MJ or something else.

But I do have two feature requests one small, one larger:

Small: can we have it so that renaming a vessel does not suffer from the time delay? It's an action performed on the command module, but in reality its simply a change on the ground so we should be able to do it at will. Besides, it's damn irritating after undocking a satellite to then have to wait 10 minutes to rename it just so you can properly find it in your list of ships.

Large: would it be possible, possibly as part of the flight computer or some such to get a list of issued commands and how long until they are received? I'm trying to decouple my sats around other planets and KSP is sometimes a little twitchy with keyboard focus and sometimes my stage command needs to be issued twice. That's irritating, but when you have to wait 10 minutes to determine if the stage command went through, well that's slightly catastrophic and requires a much higher level of F5/F9 use than I prefer. Just being able to see what command RT2 has held in the queue would be very helpful. Maybe a little slide-out panel from the computer to show it or another window or something. I'm not sure how you would do more analog things like throttle input, maybe just note throttle up for 3 seconds, throttle cut, that kind of thing. But I think with a flight delay, we need some sort of ability to see what's been issued. No other UI on them needed (cancel, reorder, etc) - it's issued, so you have to live with it.

Oh, a third very small: The long range dishes have such narrow cones that they can fire right through the middle of my 4 sat Kerbin geosync array from other planets when I have them set to target Kerbin without hitting a single sat. That's from Dres, and it's just on the edge for Jool (CommTech-1). With a 3 sat network it would clearly fire through from Jool. I would think that they wouldn't design a dish to have such a limitation - that from the nearest planet the dish would have enough angular coverage to hit the full 6200km or so diameter of a geosync array. It's not necessary to go to geosync to ensure continuous communication with KCS, but it's exceptionally common. NASA also uses geosync for deep-space communication, so I would expect that's a RL design requirement as well. Instead of a minimum cone of .005deg, going to .015 I believe will get everything covered. The two giga dishes are somewhat compromised as a result of this. They might only hit your network reliably from Eeloo, and only during part of its orbit. That strikes me as a design fault with the dish.

Yep, the "jitter" is has been a known bug with kOS and MJ for a while now. I guess it's just that new people are using it and havent' seen the previous posts on the kOS thread about it.

I didn't experience the throttle jitter until the last update. sorry.

You need to sign in first. If you don't have an account, you'll need to create one, then sign in, then the button will work properly.

I'm working through a variety of issues on mine. One is already on the bugtracker courtesy of someone else that I've now encountered a second time in a somewhat different manner but I'm having trouble getting it to duplicate. I'm going to try and put together a stock case where it's duplicatable, but I suspect it's related to bridging omnidirectional antenna and dishes (rover/lander/etc with omni -> mothership with omni + dishes -> Kerbin constellation with omni + dishes -> KSC = problems, sometimes). That I've got AIES antenna that I'm modded into the game and whatnot makes it difficult to rule out a problem on my end, so I'll rebuild it with just stock + RT2 parts. But I've seen it a few times now.

I've also just experienced another problem twice with the aforementioned mothership while trying to nail down the other behavior: after undocking a lander and switching focus the ship then loses all velocity and is left in a free-fall. I'll try and get that to duplicate as well, but I've done that maneuver several times and it's only happened twice, so its also not easily duplicated, and may not be related to RT2 at all. Could be MJ or something else.

But I do have two feature requests one small, one larger:

Small: can we have it so that renaming a vessel does not suffer from the time delay? It's an action performed on the command module, but in reality its simply a change on the ground so we should be able to do it at will. Besides, it's damn irritating after undocking a satellite to then have to wait 10 minutes to rename it just so you can properly find it in your list of ships.

Large: would it be possible, possibly as part of the flight computer or some such to get a list of issued commands and how long until they are received? I'm trying to decouple my sats around other planets and KSP is sometimes a little twitchy with keyboard focus and sometimes my stage command needs to be issued twice. That's irritating, but when you have to wait 10 minutes to determine if the stage command went through, well that's slightly catastrophic and requires a much higher level of F5/F9 use than I prefer. Just being able to see what command RT2 has held in the queue would be very helpful. Maybe a little slide-out panel from the computer to show it or another window or something. I'm not sure how you would do more analog things like throttle input, maybe just note throttle up for 3 seconds, throttle cut, that kind of thing. But I think with a flight delay, we need some sort of ability to see what's been issued. No other UI on them needed (cancel, reorder, etc) - it's issued, so you have to live with it.

Oh, a third very small: The long range dishes have such narrow cones that they can fire right through the middle of my 4 sat Kerbin geosync array from other planets when I have them set to target Kerbin without hitting a single sat. That's from Dres, and it's just on the edge for Jool (CommTech-1). With a 3 sat network it would clearly fire through from Jool. I would think that they wouldn't design a dish to have such a limitation - that from the nearest planet the dish would have enough angular coverage to hit the full 6200km or so diameter of a geosync array. It's not necessary to go to geosync to ensure continuous communication with KCS, but it's exceptionally common. NASA also uses geosync for deep-space communication, so I would expect that's a RL design requirement as well. Instead of a minimum cone of .005deg, going to .015 I believe will get everything covered. The two giga dishes are somewhat compromised as a result of this. They might only hit your network reliably from Eeloo, and only during part of its orbit. That strikes me as a design fault with the dish.

Your first two requests are already ingame. The flight computer has a queuing system (Press the "Q" button), and the target selection has a delay-less "Name" button. Heck, you can even cancel your commands!

Your first two requests are already ingame. The flight computer has a queuing system (Press the "Q" button), and the target selection has a delay-less "Name" button. Heck, you can even cancel your commands!

Oh, that's what Q does! I kept assuming it was 'quit' for the flight computer. I was so mired in trying to work out why the other issues were happening I didn't think to take 'Q' completely literally. Excellent, thank you. I will help spread the gospel.

This might just be me, but is there going to be a "lite" version without the signal delay? And further more a short guide would be great consider the whole way dishes work has me dumpfounded

Amen to this, I can't figure out how to set up a working network. I'm guessing I need more than just several probes with several antenna pointing at eachother and/or the space center?

You need to set up at least 4-5 sats in geosynchronous orbit (2868km, 6hr period). That way you'll get coverage in the solar system as long as you include the big antennas. You should have the 5Mm range omni ones, those will be extremely useful for any low Kerbin orbit and also let the sats communicate with each other. Then I have some in polar orbits so my probes going out don't lose signal every time they leave the system.

Turning off signal delay is easy: Go into RemoteTech_Settings.cfg and set 'EnableSignalDelay = False'

Cheers! Also any recommendations about a mechjeb replacement until the two mods work together again (Jitter throttle and other control problems)

If you are only looking for information Kerbal engineer and Protractor provide just about everything i could need. If you are looking autopilots besides MechJeb you are out of luck afaik.

I never use autopilots so thats not an issue. Cheers :)