Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

I already post a reply (2 by accident) on page 152 about the problem that i cant retarget any dish after updating to 0.23 In 0.22 if a signal (permanently) was lost i could just target another vessel with a connection. But in 0.23 my ship is lost forever because i cant retarget does someone know how to fix this. Maybe this is just a general setting. but if i cant fix this i have to start all over again.

Ok I am trying to edit the signal delay, how exactly do I do this.

THank YOu

Second this. I tend not to use flight computers, so would like to turn off signal delay. I noticed that "RemoteTech_Settings" no longer exists, so I don't know how to turn it off... any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

My idea of failsafe? Point a bigger dish at the lost craft. That should be doable with tweakables, but it would probably also require a simulation of antenna gain, instead of averaging ranges.

Just pushing a button to reconnect when you messed up, feels like cheating to me.

Second this. I tend not to use flight computers, so would like to turn off signal delay. I noticed that "RemoteTech_Settings" no longer exists, so I don't know how to turn it off... any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Settings file broke with 0.23. Wait for the next version.

You can still turn off signal delay. Just copy paste a 0.22 config file with that setting and the 0.23 version will turn off signal delay.

Not to be a hassle, but does anybody happen to have a config file somewhere for download? As someone who didn't start getting into the modding scene until right before 0.23 dropped, I don't happen to have one on hand to just drop back into the RemoteTech2 folder.

It's a file named "RemoteTech_Settings.cfg" with the following content:

MissionControlRange = 7.5E+07
MissionControlPosition = -0.1313315,-74.59484,75
MissionControlGuid = 5105f5a9d62841c6ad4b21154e8fc488
ActiveVesselGuid = 35b89a0d664c43c6bec8d0840afc97b2
MissionControlBody = 1
ConsumptionMultiplier = 1
RangeMultiplier = 1
SpeedOfLight = 3E+08
MapFilter = Dish, Path
EnableSignalDelay = False
RangeModelType = Standard
NathanKell_MultipleAntennaSupport = False
ThrottleTimeWarp = True

And here's a cfg that has the new stuff: (note: configured for RSS; you'll want to change stuff back for regular KSP)

ConsumptionMultiplier = 0.05
RangeMultiplier = 10
SpeedOfLight = 3E+08
MapFilter = Omni, Dish, Planet, Path
RangeModelType = Additive
MultipleAntennaMultiplier = 1.0
ThrottleTimeWarp = True
DishConnectionColor = 0.9960784,0.7019608,0.03137255,1
OmniConnectionColor = 0.5529412,0.5176471,0.4078431,1
ActiveConnectionColor = 0.6588235,1,0.01568628,1
GroundStations
{
STATION
{
Name = Mission Control
Latitude = -0.131331503391266
Longitude = -74.594841003418
Height = 75
Body = 1
Antennas
{
ANTENNA
{
Omni = 7.5E+07
}
}
}
}

And here's a cfg that has the new stuff: (note: configured for RSS; you'll want to change stuff back for regular KSP)

RangeMultiplier = 10
SpeedOfLight = 3E+08
ThrottleTimeWarp = True
GroundStations
{
STATION
{
Name = Mission Control
Height = 75
Body = 1
Antennas
{
ANTENNA
{
Omni = 7.5E+07
}
}
}
}

Wait, with this config and the current version of RT2, is it possible to now define other ground stations; beyond just KSC?

RangeMultiplier = 10
SpeedOfLight = 3E+08
ThrottleTimeWarp = True
GroundStations
{
STATION
{
Name = Mission Control
Height = 75
Body = 1
Antennas
{
ANTENNA
{
Omni = 7.5E+07
}
}
}
}

Why ConsumptionMultiplier is set to 0.05 and RangeMultiplier set to 10 ?

Wait, with this config and the current version of RT2, is it possible to now define other ground stations; beyond just KSC?

Not quite in this one yet, but the next: Yep.

Does that mean what I read? At last RT2 works with your additive model?

Yes, and the multiple antenna bonus thing also works for the standard model. It's all untested though.

Cilph would it be asking too much for you to put a link to the dev builds either on the main post or in your signature? It's kinda hard to keep up with what the current iteration is via sifting through the last 10-20 pages of the thread, lol :P

Cilph would it be asking too much for you to put a link to the dev builds either on the main post or in your signature? It's kinda hard to keep up with what the current iteration is via sifting through the last 10-20 pages of the thread, lol :P

I don't make public dev builds :P If you want you can always compile from the GitHub yourself.

EDIT: Sent out a test build to those who volunteered. I'll fix the bugs that get sent to me until Christmas and put out a 0.23 release. I'll be gone for two days~

Edited by Cilph

Simple really, let us manually choose a target for a dish even if it is not under control. This allows us the player to act as the automatic program that cycles through all possible connections to find a path home. Best of all, this functionality already exists in the mod.

This, it's the easiest and simplest implementation. Roleplay that it's an automagic timer, or a programmed search routine, or whatever if that's your game. Or send a manned craft and EVA a Kerbal over if that's your game. Or don't use it at all and leave the probe as a piece of inert space debris if that's your game. Leave the choice to the player and his playstyle.

I agree with thecoshman and DerekL1963. The ability to reaim a dish while not in control can be seen as akin to an automated fallback system for a dish that is already active. Not allowing a deactivated dish to be activated when there is no communication addresses the issue of "cheating" as you can't turn on a dish without having a data connection only retarget one that is already active.

I don't make public dev builds :P If you want you can always compile from the GitHub yourself.

Oh okay, sorry - I'm just getting into Kerbal mods and stuff (only started in the last week or two of 0.22 before 0.23 launched) so I'm not sure exactly how everyone is handling their own and other's projects. :P Got the source from GitHub though, thanks! :)

Yes, I agree that you should not be able to activate dishes unless you have control over a probe. I only think you should be able to set the target manually. If you want to have something account for the time the probe would take, perhaps once you set a target, it takes time to actually establish that connection, based on the distance of the connection. This can roughly account for the fact that as you get further away, the area the target would be in becomes smaller and smaller, so you sort of account for it having to sweep for the connection.

Inability to activate a dish without a connection might not be realistic since, if such a scenario was possible in real life (which it likely isn't,) a fail safe, in the form of a couple lines of code, would be built in that allows the dish to be activated and pointed at a specific location.

:blush: There actually is pretty much no such thing as KSP Mod Incompatibility unless you're using BIG mods like Universe Replacer and I believe Planet Factory as well(at least from what I have gathered from playing the game with mods and stuff since 0.20) Edited by KyleofKerbin
Some unmentioned information